The PC Version of “Doom” Absolutely Wrecks the Competition

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
YouTube channel ElAnalistaDeBits has a video comparing the graphics from Bethesda's Doom between all three major consoles and PC, showcasing the Switch's capabilities and the PC's continued dominance over the graphics department. Noticeable differences between the hardware start to crop at the 1:50 mark in the video, where we get to see the way the PC's textures and depth sit way above the competition.

Doom came out last year to critical acclaim, helping to revive the franchise and get a foothold in the crowded FPS market. The game's move to the Switch will be one of the many ports Bethesda has promised to deliver. Overall, the Switch version of Doom looks pretty good; even if the textures are a bit muddy, the overall graphical quality is excellent. This video helps communicate what the hardware is capable of (besides being a platform for really fun games).

All I have to say!

C0p6C4F.png

Can we take a moment to appreciate the Switch version too? It's not *nearly* as downgraded as I expected.

This is a portable that draws only 15.7W of power. To me this is an incredible achievement.

I would happily play that version of Doom on the train during my commute.

Honestly, for a gaming console the size of a CD case, the Switch holds up well. Remarkable really. Little piece of shit has some Mini Mojo.

But, I'll stick to Splatoon and Mario Odysee for the switch :)

Wheres a Xbox One X fan around here when you need them?

I need some entertainment for my popcorn.

I do not see an X in that video listing, did I miss something? Also, I have both the PC version and XBox version, the game looks and plays really well on the One X. (Just played a bit of it last night.)

Ahh mannnn, I really wanted to buy a sub-par console (i.e. crappy pc) that has no configurability, upgrade options, or long-term viability. Guess I won't be doing that yet ;).

For the cost of their rig, you could buy all 3 of the normal consoles (Xbox One S, PS4 Slim, Switch). Probably a couple games and some accessories, too. The video card alone costs more than Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. It’s a laughable comparison. Of course it looks better. It's like showing a Tesla next to a Camry.

are people still surprised that PC trumps any console?...PC is so good that console developers need to have the respective PC versions downgraded from a graphics standpoint or released at a later date so as to not make the console versions look bad

It's no surprise that the PC is the best. It always will be. The Switch version still looks impressive and I have a feeling it will look a bit more crisp when being played on the smaller handheld screen.

I do not see an X in that video listing, did I miss something? Also, I have both the PC version and XBox version, the game looks and plays really well on the One X. (Just played a bit of it last night.)

I noticed Doom looks and plays well on the One X as well. Since the One X has a "boost mode" by default, games like Doom with a dynamic resolution can maintain their highest resolution all the time. Doom also runs noticeably better on the One X than on base hardware. It'll be interesting to see what the One X patch does to Doom.

So, this is in no way surprising. However, what is nice IMO is how the Switch version as cut back as it may be in some ways, has a very similar level of detail to the other consoles. At least it's about on par with the XBOne. They said it would be limited to 30 frames per second on switch, (which while I'm not fond of that rate is still decent for that level of hardware) but I've heard that it doesn't maintain a consistent rate on the XBOne. Maybe that's been fixed since release though.

So, this is in no way surprising. However, what is nice IMO is how the Switch version as cut back as it may be in some ways, has a very similar level of detail to the other consoles. At least it's about on par with the XBOne. They said it would be limited to 30 frames per second on switch, (which while I'm not fond of that rate is still decent for that level of hardware) but I've heard that it doesn't maintain a consistent rate on the XBOne. Maybe that's been fixed since release though.
I never noticed any frame drops on the Xbone version with my One S. I played it about a month after release (a week after I first beat the PC version).

I never noticed any frame drops on the Xbone version with my One S. I played it about a month after release (a week after I first beat the PC version).

A friend of mine that bought it on the XBOne told me it was kind of all over the place frame rate wise. That's by no means a scientific result by any means, and I'd trust people on this forum a bit more when it comes to that sort of thing honestly.

While I honestly think consoles & their ecosystem are a plague does the texture difference really matter that much in a game like Doom?
Did you buy the game to be running around shooting stuff or to stop and stare at the pretty graphics?
I'm not saying graphics don't matter but in my opinion the only question that really matters is..."Is the game just as fun and playable on the other devices as on the PC?"

A friend of mine that bought it on the XBOne told me it was kind of all over the place frame rate wise. That's by no means a scientific result by any means, and I'd trust people on this forum a bit more when it comes to that sort of thing honestly.
Actually now that I think about it, the fight with the Hell Guards had some occasional drops, particularly in the last phase with both of them. Can't think of any others.

So, more of the same: PCs are better for gaming, got it, no surprise here, nothing to see, move along, move along. :D

My 600 watt PC can render graphics better than your 3 watt tablet.

absolutely shocking right?

The Switch impresses me. I didn't expect the PS4 and Xbox to be so far apart. I will say, the decision to render the PC in 4k versus 1080p seems like a slanted choice.

I bought a 1080GTX, sat it on my desk, and plugged into to my monitor. Nothing happened. What else do I need to do to make it run Doom?

Did you use a Monster cable? If you don't use a Monster cable, it won't work.

I am always impressed with the quality i get from the Xbox one s considering its crap hardware. still i dont game on it, i just stream tv shows and play blurays.. occassionally use the web browser.

The Switch impresses me. I didn't expect the PS4 and Xbox to be so far apart. I will say, the decision to render the PC in 4k versus 1080p seems like a slanted choice.

I agree. At the very least if they were going to compare at 4K they should have used the PS4 Pro and Xbox ONE X. But since the Switch is thrown in there, it would be better to just have them all at 1080p.

Well, no shit. That doesn't make the console versions worthless. Some people own a console and not a gaming PC. They may have a Dell or a laptop, but game only on their console. That's cool.

I think most (definitely not all!) console gamers know that a high end PC would trump any console out there.

Nice to see the comparison, though. :)

But console fanboys be like.
1z3ilw.jpg

Yes, but they always under price a console, basically its always the base model. So in can $600 for the xbox x. Then if you want all four controllers your in for another $65 a pop, or $195. Now your at $795 and you need a tv, so $300 for HD, $1000 for 4k.

Yeah the tv will outlast the console (hopefully), but your true initial cost is closer to $1,600+.

For a handheld system as switch, it's impressive to say the least. But you can't compare these consoles to a PC running 1080GTX. That's just stupid.

The PS4 stomps the other consoles by a large margin. cool
It's sharper, but why is it so washed out? I prefer how the Xbox looks as it is closer to original (if PC is the reference).

The Switch is ok for what it is, but runs at half the framerate and is blurry and flat looking relatively speaking.

Back