The PC of 2019

HardOCP News

[H] News
I love articles like this that try to predict what computers are going to be like in a decade. All these predictions of brain powered PCs make you wish you could look back ten years and see what was “revolutionary” back then. Oh wait, we can look back to the days when AGP 4x, PC133 and ATA66 ruled the roost.

"The PC of 2019 will be nothing like the PC we know today," says Wen Xiao, CIO of global service delivery at London-based telecommunications giant BT Group PLC. "It will be smaller and ubiquitous. Its function is less of computing and more of access control and communications. The computing capabilities will reside inside the cloud and be accessed on demand by [the] individual user."

OMG, that guy is great at sussing the bleedin obvious.
<seal clap>

I couldn't be more against the move towards cloud computing. How many rights to privacy are either being forced from our fingertips or given up freely for the promise of something? I normally like to read about things like this, though, if only to see how incorrect they are when the time comes :)

I think the future will be more about interacting less with menu's and more about the ultimate intent of using the tool (computer).

For example:
When you want to pay a bill, you click on your browser, go to your cardholder or member website, enter your username/password, navigate to the payment page, enter an amount, select payment method, etc.

I just want to click "Pay my monthly bills"..and maybe I just described auto bill pay I dunno lol..

He says younger workers, and certainly those who will enter the workforce in the coming decade, expect their data -- not just their devices -- to travel with them. They need their PCs to work wherever they want them to, and they don't want to worry about storing and transferring data.

What's so hard about carrying a netbook and a flash drive????? The flash drive must weigh too much...

I love articles like this that try to predict what computers are going to be like in a decade. All these predictions of brain powered PCs make you wish you could look back ten years and see what was “revolutionary” back then. Oh wait, we can look back to the days when AGP 4x, PC133 and ATA66 ruled the roost.

Meh, fundamentally much hasn't changed since AGP and PC133. Still using binary. Still using Direct X and OpenGL. Still using Windows. Still using x86 for almost everything, 32 bit still rules and 64 bit programs are almost all written in extended code. Still operating on the same principals of GPU/CPU (physx? lol). Still haven't found a way around z-buffering (raytracing still isn't available).

Hopefully 10 years from now will represent a new generation! But cloud computing? No thanks!

We're all going to be chipped for ID so all of our data will be on us. The system will just need to read that, it will have the rest.

Whats changed since 1999?
Not much really.
More Power. More Power. More Power.

I think it will take longer than 10 years before that changes(at least for consumers).

I read that article and was just thinking how much crap was in it.

My system in 1999
Full tower, PIII-600, 512MB PC133, TNT2, 12GB HDD, 21" CRT

We were already selling 14" TFT displays at work (and damn they were expensive), Palm Pilots were a start to handheld, mobile computing, and as mentioned above the basics haven't changed that much at all.

I don't see that much change happening in the next 10 years. Rollable displays? They are just in the labs now if even feasible. It takes a lot longer then that to get these things to market.

Oh, and all the items it discusses would use a huge, huge amount of bandwidth.

Since 1999 my connection speed has gone from ~5mbps cable to ~12mbps cable and that hasn't changed at all in the past few years. Good luck on that one.

<insert still won't be able to play Crysis well comment here>

But yeah... 10 years down the road? Here's my view on things.
Monitors, they'll get bigger and cheaper, and/or they'll push a new type of flat screen technology and do the whole monitor pricing bit again.

CPUs, they'll cram more cores on a chip.

Video cards, they'll oh hell I don't know they'll get better, hotter, and require more exotic ways to cool.

SSD probably will be the norm, however applications to have absolutely humongous harddrives (25-100 TB range) will be used in server/mass data storage markets.

I love at the end the professor is quoted as saying that the new machines will take form of, "a watch or a ring...it could have many form factors". Call me lame, but I don't like the idea of having my computer system THAT small. While I understand that form follows function, and I appreciate smaller/cooler components, it just seems a bit ridiculous. Who would want to have a bangin’ sound system in a ring?!

screw the cloud, I dont want my resources or data anywhere else but within my complete control.

Okay, to everyone saying that not much has changed in the past ten years; look again.

True; our computers themselves have simple gotten more and more powerful, but are still based on the same basic architecture (although we have as much RAM now as we had hard drive space then). What's really changed, however, is how we use those resources. Here are some things that didn't exist, or were not accessible to the general public, ten years ago:

1. Wikipedia
2. iPods and similar MP3 players.
3. Cell phones with affordable national coverage and the ability to do more than basic phone calls
4. Myspace, Facebook, and other social networking sites
5. Youtube
6. Car GPS/taffic devices
7. VB .NET and C# programming languages
8. Google Maps and Gmail
9. Paypal and Google Checkout
10. HDTV

Think about how many times a day you encounter just those ten things. A lot has happened in the past ten years. Given that the growth of technology has recently proved itself to be infinitely exponential, I think we'll see even more innovations in the next decade. It will certainly be some interesting times.

How long will I have to wait until I get a jack in my head a'la Matrix?

This. The day the guv. trys to make such mandatory is the day I turn mountain man.

I would love to go all mountain man, but then there is that living in the wild thing. I think I will take my chip and find ways to hide/mask.change the data on it.

That way I won't have to wipe my ass with poison oak.

Okay, to everyone saying that not much has changed in the past ten years; look again.

True; our computers themselves have simple gotten more and more powerful, but are still based on the same basic architecture (although we have as much RAM now as we had hard drive space then). What's really changed, however, is how we use those resources. Here are some things that didn't exist, or were not accessible to the general public, ten years ago:

1. Wikipedia
2. iPods and similar MP3 players.
3. Cell phones with affordable national coverage and the ability to do more than basic phone calls
4. Myspace, Facebook, and other social networking sites
5. Youtube
6. Car GPS/taffic devices
7. VB .NET and C# programming languages
8. Google Maps and Gmail
9. Paypal and Google Checkout
10. HDTV

Think about how many times a day you encounter just those ten things. A lot has happened in the past ten years. Given that the growth of technology has recently proved itself to be infinitely exponential, I think we'll see even more innovations in the next decade. It will certainly be some interesting times.

Some of those where around 10 years ago. They have just improved over the years and gotten cheaper. Although nothing on your list is a HUGE leap. going from your desktop to a computer the size of a quarter would be a HUGE change.

1. good idea, but nothing special about it in terms of how it works
2. the idea of the portable music device with storage has been around more than 10 years, it just took time for technology to get to the point where it was easy to produce
3. that is just a given improvement of a product. In time more towers will be put up and coverage will get even better. Nothing mind blowing, that is just standard progression.
4. Nothing special there
5. Again nothing special
6. GPS has been around longer than 10 years, but took time for it to become common place in cars and other devices. Again like cell phones just natural progression that one would expect
7. new languages, something that happens offten in computer programming
8. gmail is just email, something that has been around for more than 10 years. Same as google maps, there has been map sites for more than 10 years. Both might have improved on something, but neither is a new idea.
9.PayPal is about 10 years old. However it existed in another form before that, so I would say it existed for 10 years but has went though changes over the years.
10. was being shown off for more than 10 years, however it took time for people to start to broadcast in it.

Everything you posted to me is nothing special and in may cases is just technology changing like one would exect. I expect computer to get smaller and faster over time. I expect my next car to get better gas milage than my current one. However i don't consider any of that to be mind blowing or anythign special. I consider it people improving on todays technology. Now if my next car hovered instead of using tired I would consider that a major change. if they replaced most of the current technology in the computer with something different I would consider that a major change. And that is what I think everyone else was refering too. The current technology is nothing more than an improved version of what we had 10 years ago, it isn't some great change from it. Going from PCI to AGP to PCIe for your video card still leaves you with a video card that are all basicly the same, they just plug into different slots. SDRAM to DDR to DDR2 to DDR3 memory again is all basicly the same, only different is their speed and the slot they plug into.....

He says younger workers, and certainly those who will enter the workforce in the coming decade, expect their data -- not just their devices -- to travel with them. They need their PCs to work wherever they want them to, and they don't want to worry about storing and transferring data. QUOTE]

How visionary. I think I've sen both BillG and Steve Jobs say the exact same things years ago.

Corporate likes the idea of cloud computing so long as they control cloud. Users shouldn't have to care what there apps run on. I wouldn't call it a PC anymore. I think the more technically inclined will shy away from it for their own personal use. Unfortunately, things like personal finances and identity are already at risk so will people see the cloud as being much different? The ready acceptance of Google, facebook, Twitter, and the like makes me think most people won't care.

But wait here's my prediction:
In the future stuff will be smaller, faster, lighter and will be used in new innovative ways.
Can I get paid now?

Who's cloud is it anyways?
Your cloud is my cloud.
All your clouds are belong to us!

I can agree with the majority of you comments, being that there is nothing too special about Facebook/Myspace/iPods and the like, the biggest advantage is that those items made it EASIER for consumers to make "webpages" or meet new friends. The iPod is just a digital walkman, so nothing too new there except transfer of media. So, yeah, you're pretty much right.

As a pledge to the HardOCPers out there, I will make a personal effort not to run over 4 pages on anything......cool?

I guess that you found this one a little hard to do, eh? ;)

Obligatory:

computer_model_large.jpg

to be fair social networking was around in 1999.

it just wasn't as flashy as myspace and facebook

as for the next 10 years, we are about due for the next breakthrough, but til then i just see the same trend continuing, more cores, more discreet video, everything still being an extension of x86

no cloud for me either. though it would be nice to be able to sync my data across pc's in my house automatically, like my 3 windows partitions, laptop, win mobile, htpc and spare/fold system...though that is probably doable already

LOL great find... what exactly does that giant, yacht-like steering wheel do?

I'm really hoping that it acts like the stupid ass Apple wheels.

As for this cloud computing and ring computers, fuck it. I'm 90% sure most of the people using this shit will be complete tools that have no idea what they're doing. All this will do is create a world where people have to think less. When I read about the screen changing shapes I thought it was cool, but as soon as I finished that paragraph I had a feeling the next one would go on to say that shortly after, users won't even need to touch the screen to have it move! OMFGBBQ !>!.1, I DONT HAVE TO USE MY ARMS ANYMORE!!!?!? Finally!!

And the mouse isn't going to be obsolete any time soon. The might change shape, but touchscreen is not the way of the future for PCs.

I am looking forward to technology being like this. I really want to be able to have a hearty laugh everyday that people freak out because their ring won't boot up or crashes (which will likely be everyday) but will have no idea how to fix it.

In addition to my mindless rants, moving to incredibly small technology like this only makes shit more proprietary and allows the big corporations to keep the little guy down. Nanotech is to be expected, but I'm not going to be buying some 3" PC I can't even open. How is that even a PC?

LOL great find... what exactly does that giant, yacht-like steering wheel do?

Who knows what the intent was. It's a non-functional mock up, much like the fancy concept cars seen at auto shows that look like super cars but could never move under their own weight.

If humanity goes down this road they will be enslaved. this is nothing more than world government wanting access to everything you do. its all about control . its all about YOU loosing your liberties, loosing personal privacy, loosing any privacy left, just think... warrantless wiretapping, the destruction of posse comantodas. this is all about nafta, north american union and the new world order wanting to know everything you do from cradel to grave. The patriot movement will fight against this to the very end.

Stop worrying about cloud computing guys! The US will still have crappy bandwidth in 10 years making it impossible. Sure japan might have it, but not the US lol.

As for a computer the size of a ring? nah, not going to happen. Pesky ol quantum physics and electron tunneling will get in the way.

Stop worrying about cloud computing guys! The US will still have crappy bandwidth in 10 years making it impossible. Sure japan might have it, but not the US lol.

Yeah, why should everyone worry that governments across the world will have access to literally all their online data? Governments who are either obsessive about knowing every detail and controlling people's lives and/or so incompetent that they shouldn't be trusted to hold any data at all. IMO anyone who thinks cloud computing is a good idea for holding personal data hasn't thought things through enough. I don't understand why people are so willing to give up freedoms.

Back