The PC Looks Like It's Dying

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh no! Watch out everyone, the PC is dying! I'm serious this time, this totally isn't like the four billion other troll-erific "the PC is dying articles" that have been written over the last 25 years :rolleyes: The icing on the crazy cake? PCs are losing to Apple too. Thanks to Eric Crowley for the link to the laugh.

PC makers aren't just losing to Apple. They're struggling on multiple fronts -- and things look gloomy going forward.

Better convert to the One True Faith now guys. Only the Holy Apple can offer real enlightenment.

How can the PC be dying when people in the Windows 8 threads are swearing that Linux is about to rise to world domination?

laptop_trash.jpg

lol

don't worry, it'll be fine again next week.

They need to realize that the term PC refers to anything really. PC means "personal computer", so that applies to Apple, iPads and other tablets, laptops, desktops (no matter who made it).

There are some of us that use and will always use desktop computers, myself being one of those people.

This is the usual alarmist BS.

Man, people are stupid. Honestly I feel that as long as the market continues to change and evolve, the desktop will always be there. It's modular nature allows the desktop to be the first device to try out virtually any new technology, which is important as that adoption of technology is what allows that technology to be refined and eventually adopted to other devices.

If the PC is dying, what are we going to make all those android, Win8 and other tablet apps on?

Yeah, I mean, with the global depression and all I can't imagine PC shipments being down?!? Let's talk about how Apple is doing this quarter with their tablets. Or whether notebook shipments are sharply up or not?

How do I edit these home videos on my cell phone again? Lets see, pinch to zoom, nope. Uhmmm, nope I don't want to send a text message. *puts on glasses* Wish I had a stencil or something better than my fat finger.

Its funny that PC's dying because it could be that PCs have hit a less steep technological area where the hardware still works fine after a few years as a result no need to upgrade. Where as on the other side of "computing" with hand held devices, you get a different color scheme and less choices of what you can do and everyone needs to upgrade

Given the needs of the average consumer these days (basic web surfing, Facebook, manage some pictures, maybe video chat, etc.) it's not at all surprising people are buying fewer full-fledged PCs. In my experience, non-techies often think that the typical "big ugly tower" desktop PC is antiquated. Not to mention, who among us techies is going to buy a typical crap-tastic loaded-with-bloatware-and-sporting-yesteryear's-graphics desktop from the likes of Dell/HP etc.? At least Appleheads have good reason to buy the latest iMac - it's very difficult to roll your own.

Meanwhile, tons of people actually use the features of a full desktop computer - nice big display, keyboard and mouse, full CPU/GPU horsepower etc. That's not going away anytime soon, if ever.

Someone should do a study on how often people upgrade their whole computers over time.

I bet that people upgraded computers a lot sooner back just even 10 years ago compared to this year. Newer computers are just way more capable and are more future proof then they used to be.

Dying? No.
SHRINKING? Yes.
The big case PCs are mainly gamer, overclockers, now adays.
If you want cutting edge performance; who is showing off a laptop or tablet? NOBODY.

Well the PC dying is is definitely an exaggeration, but it will be losing lots of users/buyers soon enough, so I guess the PC is bleeding a lot. I have heard more than my share from regular not tech users who hate Windows 8 saying stuff like "well if I am going to have to get use to a different UI that I don't like, I am going to just switch over to a Mac." Windows 8 will be the knife in the back of the PC. All that's left to find out is if it was a fatal stab wound or one that can be recovered from.

Microsoft might be shooting itself in the rear-end... but the PC is not limited by Microsoft.

I was undet the impression that Macs were Personal Computers. Color me embarrassed. I'm not going to bother to read the article, but I'll chalk this up with the writer trying to hold to an ancient definition of PC as a huge, hulking laptop or crappy, slow desktop instead of the sleek personal computing devices we have today with a variety of different operating systems.

Someone is begging for page views. I'm not going to dignify that crap with advertising revenue.

Well the PC dying is is definitely an exaggeration, but it will be losing lots of users/buyers soon enough, so I guess the PC is bleeding a lot. I have heard more than my share from regular not tech users who hate Windows 8 saying stuff like "well if I am going to have to get use to a different UI that I don't like, I am going to just switch over to a Mac." Windows 8 will be the knife in the back of the PC. All that's left to find out is if it was a fatal stab wound or one that can be recovered from.

Or, windows users will stick with windows 7 for a decade, like we did with XP, until microsoft does something different. Or, computers and aspects of the interface might change so much in that decade that windows 8 is irrelevant.

The desktop PC isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Sure laptops and the like will take away market share, but simply the cost advantages of the desktop will keep it in the game. Not to mention if you want the best out there a desktop is what you get. It doesn't have the thermal constraints of smaller devices

They need to realize that the term PC refers to anything really. PC means "personal computer", so that applies to Apple, iPads and other tablets, laptops, desktops (no matter who made it).

There are some of us that use and will always use desktop computers, myself being one of those people.

Yes, some people probably think of the PC as a “Desktop Computer” (DC). My guess is that a lot of the so-called enthusiasts will think of it more as a “Workstation Computer” (WC).

CNN is just having a slow news day.
They're trying to turn PC's into disposable machines like Phones/Tablets. The fact is, if your computer is working great, why replace it.
What they really need to look at is the sales of items for computers, Hard Drives, Networking Equipment, Video Cards etc... The results will be much more different.

Someone should do a study on how often people upgrade their whole computers over time.

I bet that people upgraded computers a lot sooner back just even 10 years ago compared to this year. Newer computers are just way more capable and are more future proof then they used to be.

Consoles have stagnated PC games quite a bit, and as a result, the need to develop new hardware or upgrade to keep up with games has decreased.

How can the PC be dying when people in the Windows 8 threads are swearing that Linux is about to rise to world domination?

Maybe that's what will cause the death of the PC, think about it, the vast majority of current PC users would set their PC on fire after a single visit to a linux forum when trying to switch to Linux.

As was discussed in an earlier thread, Linux is a second rate OS and continues to be so in large part because they who promote it tend to act like massive douchebags to anyone who isn't already completely knowledgable on Linux.

Yeah, I mean, with the global depression and all I can't imagine PC shipments being down?!? Let's talk about how Apple is doing this quarter with their tablets.
Q2 tends to be one of the weaker quarters for most in the consumer tech industry. Compared to Q2 2011, though, Apple is up. They moved 2.5 times as many iPads and "Related Products and Services" in Q2 2012 compared to Q2 2011. Mac sales are also up as compared to the same quarter last year.

>Poor people who are smart with their money in the middle of a recession can't afford new PC's
>Rich idiot yuppies/student's blowing away their student loans who are also idiots buying useless macs
>PC is in trouble

Oh god no, a tenth of a percent! A tenth of a percent in fifteen years since Apple became a "Major" home computer player!!!!

That means, in a hundred and fifty years, it might be down a WHOLE percent!!!

Good god no!!!

Hardforums should just copy and paste the article here as to not give stupid editors traffic.

Back