The PC is 'Rapidly Becoming World's Largest Gaming Platform'

The biggest problem is, its much harder to make a good PC game. Why? #1, we dont take crap that gets shoveled out to be sold at Walmart or Target. #2, its a LOT easier to program for consoles, since the hardware is a known factor. PC's come in an unlimited number of configurations, and it gives game co's fits in QA.

PC gaming is not dead. Its just stuck between a rock, and a hard place.

I agree with #1 but I was under the impression that using graphic engines like Source and unreal makes it quite easy to develop games on PC and or console for that matter. I don't program games but I program java applications and as long as they have the JVM everything else is groovy for the most part. I would image programing a directX pc game would be easier than a PS3 game.

but again I don't program games so I don't know how complex things are.

This is coming from EA?

Riiiiigggghhhhtttt. Suuuurrrreeee.

That's why you didn't release Madden 2009 for PC.

I get it now. :rolleyes:

This is coming from EA?

Riiiiigggghhhhtttt. Suuuurrrreeee.

That's why you didn't release Madden 2009 for PC.

I get it now. :rolleyes:

Well, they figured the backlash of the DRM that would make it turn off when Madden 2010 came out would be too much bad press.

This may or may not be valid to this article but it was a random thought that occurred to me as I read, but isnt the only proprietary aspect of a console the format/media type and controller? I mean as far as todays consoles are concerned.
Why cant console makers sell a PC compatible optical drive and USB game controller to run console titles on PC? This would be especially beneficial to PC gamers who want to play console specific titles. I imagine that a loader software may also be needed, it wouldnt quite be the same as emulating because the necessary decoding would be built into the the optical drive.
I can see a potential argument of overall compatibility given that console game developers can develop a game with a specific set of hardware in mind, vs making it support PC hardware in general.
Perhaps a bit more in R&D but could open "console games" up to a larger market

Because that would be the logical thing to do and that just can't happen.

Besides, you have to get them past the ZOMG PIRACY factor.

Because that would be the logical thing to do and that just can't happen.

Besides, you have to get them past the ZOMG PIRACY factor.

But piracy costs them money. Really! The pirates come in and take the money out of thier bank account using untraceable paypal accounts every time they download the software for free!

Now if only the game companies saw it that way.

QFT!

The fundamental problem here is NOT piracy...yeah there is piracy, yeah it sucks, and CAN lower revenue. There is another issue that very few people talk about.

Look at console gaming. You can literally push out any steaming pile of shit and it will sell. Think about ubisoft and its slew of 20 dollar wii games that are garbage. There are other examples but that one springs to mind first. Simply put console games can easily push crap games, safe games (sequels and clones, sequels and clones), and marked up games. That CAN work on pc gamers but not to nearly the same degree.

The thing is people who know how to build a gaming rig, or are willing to pay the retarded price dell or mod shops charge for a gaming rig expect more from their games. When crap is shoveled at them they either say screw it, or download it to see if it has and redeeming features. Not slagging on console owners at all, but gaming is mainstream now, tv series and movies that come out get games...most of them bad.

PC gamers seem to be more picky, which translates into not being the quick buck that they have become spoiled with when dealing with consoles. What do companies do? Do they blame their development shortcomings or design flaws? Nope. They say their games got pirated, fire out some inflated numbers, and say how it never ever happens on consoles. Meanwhile the handful of companies that do release top quality pc games still manage to sell just fine.

It's a difference in demographics that the new school of game development doesn't understand.

That being said it's far from dead, however I think this article adds in the shit ton of casual games for the pc.

The biggest problem is, its much harder to make a good PC game. Why? #1, we dont take crap that gets shoveled out to be sold at Walmart or Target. #2, its a LOT easier to program for consoles, since the hardware is a known factor. PC's come in an unlimited number of configurations, and it gives game co's fits in QA.

So simply put, the investment is greater, and the risk higher. Console's are a "safe bet" to CEO's and the like, and making a port to a PC is a cheep way of making some extra money. When a shitty port tanks, they use that as an example of why PC gaming is dead.

PC gaming is not dead. Its just stuck between a rock, and a hard place.

half of what you said is true...and i just repeated, which is what i get for not reading the whole thread.

I want to make a note here. it is NOT easier to program for consoles. Yes the hardware is known. But programing for the windows platform, while it has evolved, is still based in the same programming that's been done for years. Ask someone who programs for the ps3 how much they like doing it... The xbox is a different beast because at it's core it's VERY close to programming a pc game. but overall the PC is a much easier platform to program for. There is a difference between ease of creation and adding in scalability for a range of hardware.

there needs to be a gui set up in windows sort of like mediacenter where it is more "noob" friendly to play games.. why do I have to install every game to play on a pc but not my xbox? and nobody say loading times cause my pc has to load every level on every game I play just like the xbox... So gui for games and play from disk like consoles and controler functionality on all games then we will see the promised land imho.. :)

there needs to be a gui set up in windows sort of like mediacenter where it is more "noob" friendly to play games.. why do I have to install every game to play on a pc but not my xbox?

Does this exemplify the stereotypical console gamer...

The death knell for consoles can't come soon enough for me.

if you include solitare and minesweeper type games.. pc gaming makes all consoles combined their little bitch!!!

if you include solitare and minesweeper type games.. pc gaming makes all consoles combined their little bitch!!!

What's really sad is that both those games are better than 99.5% of the current crop of console titles...

Does this exemplify the stereotypical console gamer...

The death knell for consoles can't come soon enough for me.

I don't know about that.... but your post does exemplify the stereotypical arrogance of the keyboard know it all... I am hardly a console gamer. I'm a Pc gamer and have been for 14 years, I just happen to own a xbox360 also and do like playing it. I bought my 88gtx the week it released, do console gamers do such things?

From your reaction to my suggestions, it seems that your idea of a PC gaming experience has more to do with the technicalities of playing on the PC rather than the actual quality of the game or controls. To me having a user friendly gui etc doesn't affect the fact that you still use mouse keyboard if you want, you still can have cutting edge graphics and tech, you still can have mods and user made maps and whatever else you normally expect from Pc gaming...

Back