The PC is Dead?... Long live the Console!?!

GC is my favorite system out there right now. It's a great time for the cube right now. Both MP2 and POP2 in a month of each other. MP2 is excellent and POP2 should rock too.

I believe this is only due to what newer games require for PC's these days. It's much cheaper for parents to buy their kids a $150 console than to buy them a $1200 PC. :p

brom42 said:
GC is my favorite system out there right now. It's a great time for the cube right now. Both MP2 and POP2 in a month of each other. MP2 is excellent and POP2 should rock too.

MP2 is currently my life :) besides pr0n... ;) but if samus was ever derobed, i'd be there to watch :eek: . metroid prime2 is such a great and well detailed game, the people over at retro studios did a great job (once again)

and i agree that gamecube is the only true console, the others are too much like a PC to be considered a console

as far as pc-to-console and console-to-pc conversions go, generally, i believe that the medium upon which a game was first released on is usually the ideal media to play the game on. of course, there are a few exceptions such as the halo series (although halo for the pc was a crappy port despite the kb/mouse control), but still, i find that games originally released for a console are best enjoyed on a console and vice versa. then again, pc-to-console ports sometimes dont work out right :p

i purchased an xbox yesterday (mainly for halo 2, crimson skies and DOA:U, and THUG 2 is a nice addition) and despite the large similarity of pc/xbox titles and the dilemma of choosing whether to get the xbox or WoW (i just had enough to cover the xbox if i wanted it, which i got - ill eventually get both), i dont regret it one bit

When it comes to converstions and cross-platform games it really depends... Conversions per-se are generally handed over to someone other than the original developer so often they end up being less than stellar, when games are developed for both consoles and PC simultaneously there's no doubt the dev has more flexibility... What he chooses to do with it is another matter.

Consoles are becoming nothing more than proprietary unupgradable PCs. Along with that, the PC is eventually able to emulate each console and in fact, its through these emulators and ROMs that preservation of these games becomes possible. As each console is replaced and eventually dies, so do a lot of the games that were played on it. Unfortunately, preservation of about 99.9999% of these games requires illegal activities.

Back