The PC Has Become Part Of The Furniture

HardOCP News

[H] News
To be fair to the author of this article, he is talking about pre-built, off the shelf computers, not the bad ass custom built system that you poured all of your spare time and money into. The thrill definitely isn't gone in the enthusiast community, that's for sure.

But, to steal from the late, great B.B. King: for most people, the thrill is gone. And that’s because the PC has become the furniture of our digital lives. It’s absolutely necessary. You wouldn’t want to be without it. But you don’t get very excited about it, don’t brag about it, don’t replace it very often, and don’t expect revolutionary new features when you do.

Recently, I had to pack up my desktop and store it while I was living in temporary places (family members) due to extended unemployment, over three months. I had to make do with my laptop, which I had just bought to allow me to check email and news while at family get-togethers. It is a Core i5 5200U, and it was all I had to game with. It was hell. I couldn't really game much because of the limitations of the hardware, and so I was just bored much of the time. I do not want to go through that again.

Recently, I had to pack up my desktop and store it while I was living in temporary places (family members) due to extended unemployment, over three months. I had to make do with my laptop, which I had just bought to allow me to check email and news while at family get-togethers. It is a Core i5 5200U, and it was all I had to game with. It was hell. I couldn't really game much because of the limitations of the hardware, and so I was just bored much of the time. I do not want to go through that again.

I know that feeling, my computers are a part of my identity. When I travel it's like leaving a child at home =-\

My PC has been in the living room for years and has always been a bit of an eyesore.
Last week I cut 1/2 the legs off a medium/small wooden dining table, turned the extra table leaves into sides, fitted a false bottom and mounted my PC inside it, on its side.

The table surface has an inch gap underneath nearly all the way round to allow warm air out.
I left the PCs side off to allow hot air to migrate by itself, temps improved.
Brilliant, my PC is quieter (it was pretty quiet anyway), I cant see it and instead looks nice.
It also hides many of the wires and all of the connections.
My CPUs water cooler radiator sits underneath the table also out of site now.

My PC is now a piece of furniture, very pleased :D

For the average consumer the thrill has been gone for a long time. People have one because they need one, and they hate spending money on it. Like most people with cars. They get one that gets them to work and back. For enthusiasts the thrill will always be there.

For anyone that has ever bought the perfect chair... the thrill is not gone. I would argue the notion that the PC is furniture just means that it can be really disappointing when you don't get the perfect one.

Back