The Pacific HBO WWII Miniseries: DVD $32 Blu Ray $39 shipped

Watched the first two discs this weekend, has a very different feeling from Band of Brothers but definitely worth watching. Thanks OP!

Saw this on Slickdeals last night and picked it up. Best mini series of all time!

Too bad they didn't have this up sooner. I would have bought from them. Now I need it by Christmas and thus have to go to best "buy a screw job".

Tempting, how does this compare to BoB?

Really great series. On par.

Thanks OP, saved me a lot with this deal. I had IOU'd this to my father-in-law quite some time ago and was going to give it to him for xmas. Saved $40 on the inevitable! :)

This is directed by Steven Spielburg AND Tom Hanks isn't it, so I'm sure after them doing the movie BoB they would make this newer war movie, Pacific as good, or better than their last no? ;)

I saw the series on TV. If you care more about action then you may not enjoy The Pacific as much. The Pacific picks up a little slow but ends with a bang. Character development is a bit sporadic and you don't really find out who the major characters are until almost the 4th episode. The series is still excellent and definitely worth buying for the price. One of the best looking BluRays available out there right now.

BoB has way more action and follows 1 group so it has a continuous storyline. This gets split up storywise between several characters and is alot slower than BoB.

great deal

And it's not the same as BoB - BoB is about one unit only, this is about the experience of 3 Marines in the Pacific and is much more gritty

Thanks OP, just convinced my folks to get a Blu-Ray player - this will show them why! What a great gift for them.

Honestly I thought it totally sucked compared to BoB. Its definitely still worth watch though. BoB was just a more complete story.

I loved the pacific but it just can't compare to BoB imo. Much more complete story and honestly it was just a cooler part of the war.

I am going to pick this up though, thanks OP!

I loved the pacific but it just can't compare to BoB imo. Much more complete story and honestly it was just a cooler part of the war.

I am going to pick this up though, thanks OP!

Yeah the war in the Pacific was hell. It was hot, it smelled from all the rotting corpses, the jagged coral rock would tear your flesh up, your feet festering in your sea water filled boots. The ground was impossible to sleep on, ambushes came from any direction, it was was impossible to see anything at night. Bugs everywhere, supplies were scarce. I read the book the show was based off "With the Old Breed" and he literally makes it sound like hell with his graphic details.

Personally, I think BoB has more action than the Pacific. I torrented this series and it's pretty good but not as good as it predecessor.

I think I'll still buy it on DVD.

If you liked BoB you will likely be disappointed.

I understand the Pacific was like a whole different war then the other front. However that doesn't excuse the show for what I thought was just plain bad writing, directing, and acting.

I watched the entire thing when it came on. I went into it with hope since it was from the BoB guys however it quickly faded away after the first few episodes.

There is just hardly any character development at all. On top of this the other problem is that you never get to really know anyone aside from three or so guys throughout the entire series, one of which isn't even in it but a few epsidoes. While this COULD be fine depending on the writing it isn't, because you'll see people die and our main characters will be all broken up about it but you know what? We don't even KNOW who the hell they are broken up over. There's no real connection to the people around these guys, even the sub-characters that can be in it a bit you don't really get to know at all.

So with a just a small number of main characters you'd expect them to be good right? Well the acting was quite wooden throughout, especially by the Jurassic park kid that played Eugene Sledge. There was just not any real development throughout the series for most people, aside from the only character I found to be both well written and acted, Leckie.

I remember when the show aired, a LOT of people were disappointed, not because it wasn't BoB 2.0, but because it was just simply a bad show on many facets. Characters you didn't know, shallow acting, no connection to the people or any development.

wow 40 bucks for the bluray.. i guess i know what im getting my father for christmas now :D

If you liked BoB you will likely be disappointed.

I understand the Pacific was like a whole different war then the other front. However that doesn't excuse the show for what I thought was just plain bad writing, directing, and acting.

I watched the entire thing when it came on. I went into it with hope since it was from the BoB guys however it quickly faded away after the first few episodes.

There is just hardly any character development at all. On top of this the other problem is that you never get to really know anyone aside from three or so guys throughout the entire series, one of which isn't even in it but a few epsidoes. While this COULD be fine depending on the writing it isn't, because you'll see people die and our main characters will be all broken up about it but you know what? We don't even KNOW who the hell they are broken up over. There's no real connection to the people around these guys, even the sub-characters that can be in it a bit you don't really get to know at all.

So with a just a small number of main characters you'd expect them to be good right? Well the acting was quite wooden throughout, especially by the Jurassic park kid that played Eugene Sledge. There was just not any real development throughout the series for most people, aside from the only character I found to be both well written and acted, Leckie.

I remember when the show aired, a LOT of people were disappointed, not because it wasn't BoB 2.0, but because it was just simply a bad show on many facets. Characters you didn't know, shallow acting, no connection to the people or any development.

I loved BOB and was not dissapointed.

Back