The Owner of World's Largest Hacker Forum Has Been Arrested

Busted.

"In this video I discuss the arrest of pompompurin and what it means for the future of breached, the worlds most popular hacking forum."

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/24/politics/fbi-breach-forums-conor-fitzpatrick/index.html

That's great and all, but they need to start bringing consequences to the small guys not just the site founders.

US law enforcement agents have gotten increasingly adept at quietly infiltrating cybercriminal forums and collecting intelligence to feed indictments or arrests.

In the demise of RaidForums, US authorities had access to the website’s computer infrastructure for several months before the seizure was announced, a law enforcement official familiar with the matter previously told CNN.

Hopefully they have been monitoring and tracing those who have been using and accessing the stolen data and will swoop in and arrest and charge as many of them as possible.

These things are supply and demand, and the small guys are the demand. UNless you do something to discourage the small guys sense of impunity, it's going to be whack-a-mole with one after another of these stupid sites popping up.

Like Steve Garrett was so fond of saying: "Book 'em, Dano", hehehe :)

But yea, da fedz definitely need to "follow da money/data" to go after the other folks involved in this activity !

That's great and all, but they need to start bringing consequences to the small guys not just the site founders.
Good luck with that. A lot of those small guys aren't in America and Europe where these consequences can be easily applied.
Hopefully they have been monitoring and tracing those who have been using and accessing the stolen data and will swoop in and arrest and charge as many of them as possible.
1GRVlZN.png

These things are supply and demand, and the small guys are the demand. UNless you do something to discourage the small guys sense of impunity, it's going to be whack-a-mole with one after another of these stupid sites popping up.
This is why punishing one guy doesn't work. Like someone already said, take one down and three pop up. Maybe the problem isn't the small guys but the lack of supply for their demand? A lot of this can be traced to small guys who just want more access to their devices they own. One thing leads to another and the same tools used to get access to your device is also used to get your grandma's bank account info. The way we do security now is through obscurity, which is the less you know the more secure it is. Except this also applies to the people on top of a corporation who will cut costs on security if it meant a bigger win for their shareholders. There's always that one guy in some obscure country that barely has an internet connection that is hacking a billion dollar corporation because the IT staff hasn't done a security update in months.

Good luck with that. A lot of those small guys aren't in America and Europe where these consequences can be easily applied.

Honestly I think it is time we just start denying internet access to countries that do not extradite criminals to the west. Fuck it. Get a court order, seize ICANN, start cutting cables that cross borders and and just completely remove them from the internet.

Either play nice, or you can't play at all.

Honestly I think it is time we just start denying internet access to countries that do not extradite criminals to the west. Fuck it. Get a court order, seize ICANN, start cutting cables that cross borders and and just completely remove them from the internet.

As much as that makes sense, it would destroy the essence of the internet. We've seen situations where Apple and Google say things like think of the children, while they collect your data. It also blurs the line of what is hacking and what is just exercising your rights. Is modding my Nintendo Switch hacking or exercising my rights? It also wouldn't solve this problem since these group of people would just go further underground. Best way to deal with this is just good old fashion investigation and everyone should have the best security in their day to day life.

As much as that makes sense, it would destroy the essence of the internet. We've seen situations where Apple and Google say things like think of the children, while they collect your data. It also blurs the line of what is hacking and what is just exercising your rights. Is modding my Nintendo Switch hacking or exercising my rights? It also wouldn't solve this problem since these group of people would just go further underground. Best way to deal with this is just good old fashion investigation and everyone should have the best security in their day to day life.
They're already going or gone if they're smart.

The internet doesn't have a central server, cutting off a country will cut you off too from everything located and routed through there. Some decentralized services would probably collapse and even if not experience problems for days or weeks.

Some decentralized services would probably collapse and even if not experience problems for days or weeks.
Looking at the list of country that have treaties with the US alone, I am not sure it would be an issue (specially for the decentralized kind, service centralized in Russia could be an issue for the rest of the globe, but how many people rely on those for anything important to them ?)

Back