The Outer Worlds (New Obsidian RPG)

privatedivision.theouterworldswindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp Screenshot 2019.12.13 - 19.03.27.08.png privatedivision.theouterworldswindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp Screenshot 2019.12.13 - 15.24.26.34.png privatedivision.theouterworldswindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp Screenshot 2019.12.13 - 16.12.31.53.png privatedivision.theouterworldswindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp Screenshot 2019.12.13 - 18.41.20.29.png

So, I completely lost it at the guy that literally says, "wink". Best game that I have played in a few years.

Honestly wasn't that funny, but I did punch him in both eyes. Wish it was animated.

Wish the game had a bigger budget. It can be summed up as a polished, scaled back (in a good way) Fallout.

I'm not feeling much if any Fallout vibes in TOW. Very different atmosphere imho.

Similar mechanics? Sure, but a lot of very different games have that.

I'm trying a very heavy dialog based approach, and it does add to overall immersion quite a bit, rather than shooting everything up immediately.
Still plenty of stuff left for blasting/pummeling.

I can't imagine why they'd include those planets on your radar if they didn't plan for you to access them at some point. Hopefully that DLC comes sooner than later. I wonder if the Xbox Game Pass will include it?
In terms of the vibe/look of the game, I got more Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock than Fallout. The gameplay was Fallout inspired, but that's kinda where the comparison ended to me.

I can't imagine why they'd include those planets on your radar if they didn't plan for you to access them at some point. Hopefully that DLC comes sooner than later. I wonder if the Xbox Game Pass will include it?
In terms of the vibe/look of the game, I got more Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock than Fallout. The gameplay was Fallout inspired, but that's kinda where the comparison ended to me.

That's what I tought about a lot of the placeholder stuff in world of warcraft, still waiting for that to get implemented. In RPG's it's always good to to add things just in case even if you may never use them.

I'm trying a very heavy dialog based approach, and it does add to overall immersion quite a bit, rather than shooting everything up immediately.
Still plenty of stuff left for blasting/pummeling.

Bioware sold me on the dialog routes with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series, and I think it works pretty well here too.

And honestly, I'm half curious and half scared whether shooting everything would break game progression irrevocably...

Reactions: Auer
like this
Bioware sold me on the dialog routes with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series, and I think it works pretty well here too.

And honestly, I'm half curious and half scared whether shooting everything would break game progression irrevocably...

I'll definately do a second play thru in complete shroom induced berserker mode

I'm really sad that this game is so short, I am like 20 hours in, and know it has to end soon....

I'm really sad that this game is so short, I am like 20 hours in, and know it has to end soon....

Some of it might relate to how I played, but I found that the game started slow, flew by in the middle, and slowed down near the end.
What level are you? That's a pretty good way to see how close you are to the end. If you're over level 25, you're probably pretty close. They pile on the XP for the last few missions.

I think 21.

Unless you've been grinding away, you're on the back half but not the final stretch. There's a LOT to do on Monarch and Byzantium has more to it than you initially think. I ended up leveling up really rapidly from level 10-20, but then things slowed down after Monarch. The next few levels were slow since the Byzantium missions are longer and the rewards don't come until later. After Byzantium, I gained the last 3-4 levels rapid fire. If you did all of the low hanging fruit missions along the way, you'll go into the final mission at level 30. If you didn't, you'll still be able to gain one more near the start of that mission. Some of your final decisions want you to have really high stats, so it's worth padding some of your conversational skills if you haven't already.

It's not short unless you're rushing main quest and not exploring.

20 is a good length anyways. This took me about 25 or so hours to finish the game. But I realized I missed a few quests. Got around 7 or so hours out of it. Replayed the other ending (didn't take too long) so you can easily get 33-35 hours out of the game if you go through everything. Which is perfectly fine from a length standpoint.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
Length-wise, I was happy with it. Depending on what they do with the DLC, that could provide a little more heft. I wanted more, but I don't feel they skimped out on anything. That's a good thing.
The one complaint I have is that most of the quests feel like the same kind of randomized quests you get in a Bethesda game. For a game that's more "curated," the non-story quests feel just as hollow.

ToW XGP achievements...wonder if the data collection is broken with the suspiciously low completion rates?

Screenshot - 12_30_2019 , 12_31_18.png

The Outer Worlds   2_13_2020 11_04_42 AM.jpg

When you don't know where to go get these guys was looking for Mags or lockpicks found some later on but needed one for a quest.

The Outer Worlds   2_13_2020 10_08_43 AM.jpg

Ship is cool but the layout isn't very good doesn't feel like a ship. All the jumping around and fast travel is mundane after a while I wish the world was stitched together better.

So main quest plus a bit of exploring is 25ish hours? Thinking of giving this a shot on Game Pass when I complete Metro Exodus. That's a good length for a single player game for me that I can complete in 4-6ish weeks.

Reactions: Auer
like this
So main quest plus a bit of exploring is 25ish hours? Thinking of giving this a shot on Game Pass when I complete Metro Exodus. That's a good length for a single player game for me that I can complete in 4-6ish weeks.

Pretty much, yeah. Hard to get more than 30 out of it unless you're farming for specific skills or achievements, or just have the difficulty maxed out.

The Outer Worlds   2_20_2020 8_03_20 AM.jpg

Looks good but it's not very immersive feels like No Man's Sky RPG think it's it's just the fluid movement.
Monarch is a pretty big map compared to the others I've been to.

The Outer Worlds   2_20_2020 9_40_41 AM.jpg

Printing Press quest print your own comic books out here with Stan Lee.

I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if this has been covered. I am 17 hours in to the game and I wonder why every single woman, so far, has either cropped or very short hair? Like almost every one has shave/cropped hair. It's bizarre. It doesn't help that this game is a slog to get through. I am on Monarch and just want to shoot everyone rather than do the quests. The constant...do this for me and I'll do this for you. Then the next person in the chain says the same thing. There's zero originality or character in this game. I am going to finish but glad I just spent $1 via the game pass.

I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if this has been covered. I am 17 hours in to the game and I wonder why every single woman, so far, has either cropped or very short hair? Like almost every one has shave/cropped hair. It's bizarre. It doesn't help that this game is a slog to get through. I am on Monarch and just want to shoot everyone rather than do the quests. The constant...do this for me and I'll do this for you. Then the next person in the chain says the same thing. There's zero originality or character in this game. I am going to finish but glad I just spent $1 via the game pass.

You're not the only one who noticed this trend in future/post apocalyptic games or media. I just made a post about it:

https://hardforum.com/threads/cyberpunk-2077-official-thread.1723423/post-1044521455

As for the game itself, I found the branching quests to be fun enough. The characters don't seem very realistic, that I agree on. But the overall story seemed to give enough choice while still being coherent.

I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if this has been covered. I am 17 hours in to the game and I wonder why every single woman, so far, has either cropped or very short hair? Like almost every one has shave/cropped hair. It's bizarre.
Long hair is a pain, and the products that we depend on today to manage it are perhaps expected to not be in significant supply in the game's setting?

Perhaps more attention to hairstyles needs to be paid to by reviewers?
I can imagine it being quite traumatic to have the hot waifu of your dreams appearing with a unappealing do.

Also future games should be more about wholesale slaughter rather than quests from NPC's (with bad hair), cant have a silly story get in the way of the carnage.
Death to the needy fuckers!

I figure it's because it takes a decent amount of computation to have good long hair. Every game so far (that I can think of) that bragged of great hair picks up 10% or so by disabling it.

In general, the game graphically isn't that good. It gets the job done, but certainly not state of the art. Character animations, especially faces, are pretty bad to. Clearly they didn't have the world's biggest budget but I found the game fun enough. I consider it to be one of the better games I've played recently.

Last edited:
Back