The Outer Worlds (New Obsidian RPG)

First off, I love this game and I love loot.

With that said, sometimes there's "too much" loot...

Hmm, is that even a thing?

This game will definitely not do any favors to those prone to Loot OCD. Its fun finding the tucked away caves that end up having a unique weapon or armor hidden in them; on the other hand there are so many items that seem like useless junk - 10 different types of Vodka or 8 different types of caffeine pills; screens and screens full of consumables I'll never use and that I wish were more meaningful. Maybe in Supernova mode.

It's not unlike Skyrim or Fallout 3/4/NV in terms of tons of different items - much of it junk - but on the bright side, the inventory management is far better than those other games.

Last edited:
So far the main quest is the least interesting in the game. Hope it gets more interesting later.

What I really miss from the game is that you can't talk with the companions. The options that were there at the beginning of the game when you hired them are still what you get 10 hours later. In Mass Effect each character had something to say about the last mission you did.

If you're looking for the best all around build, then I think this guy nails it. If you just want to enjoy the game on your own first, than maybe save this for later or skip it altogether. Either way, there are some great tips in this video:

I've enjoyed playing it so far for the first 30 min to 1 hr. I just need to dedicate my time into really diving deep like I did with FO:NV, FO4, & Skyrim.

Think I had 10-12 hrs in the game before I even left the starting area. Am enjoying this game. Interested to return later and see if any of my choices had an impact on the region.

I'm also curious if I can Shrink Ray a main character, and then leave them that way for the rest of the game. Udom, or whatever his nsme is, looks to be a good guinea pig for that experiment. :cool:

And?

I find the game too easy since hitting monarch, I did all the side quests first and did not just jump to monarch. Only thing that’s a threat now is way over my level mobs. I expected as much given the reviews, it’s a shame many games don’t manage their difficulty curve well.

Playing on hard as supernova is locked out and I don’t want to start over.

so....does this game allow complete control remapping or is it locked down in ways?

I really don't want to have to use autohotkey to make a control config that works for a lefty like myself.

so....does this game allow complete control remapping or is it locked down in ways?

I really don't want to have to use autohotkey to make a control config that works for a lefty like myself.

I was able to switch all my controls around. It even took my remapped mouse buttons too.

You can tweak all of the in-game controls, but there are some items that are hard locked. Mainly menu and sub-screen stuff, though. Nothing you'll need to hit quickly as far as I can tell.
On the other hand the game looks like it doesn't save my settings...yet it apparently does. Every time I open the control config screen it shows the default keys no matter what.

I'm noticing that the Windows Store version has weird issues with staying resident and crashing after exiting the game.
My crashdumps folder was full of files all referencing the game's Win10 name "Indiana."
It also still messes with my Windows UI zoom settings about 1/2 the time.

And?

I find the game too easy since hitting monarch, I did all the side quests first and did not just jump to monarch. Only thing that’s a threat now is way over my level mobs. I expected as much given the reviews, it’s a shame many games don’t manage their difficulty curve well.

Yeah, that’s my chief complaint with this game. Even on hard it’s hella easy. The difficulty just doesn’t scale up enough.

The story is average at best as well. When I finish I won’t be touching it again. It’s a solid game but I wouldn’t give it over a 80% or so. This isn’t a Fallout or Skyrim type game I was hoping for. It’s more like Mass Effect. Unfortunately it doesn’t have the dialog/story of Mass Effect, and the difficulty just isn’t present.

Last edited:
The Outer Worlds   10_30_2019 1_00_36 PM.png
The Outer Worlds   10_30_2019 1_16_04 PM.png
The Outer Worlds   10_30_2019 1_12_27 PM.png

Nice looking game it has that surreal color scheme to try and give you a buzz off the colors like No Man's Sky. I speced in persuasion, strength and lockpicking.

Bioshock I played that game on a Samsung led projector on a PS3 slim because I couldn't use those CFL monitors actually finished it because my parents are like parasites. Quote from in the game =)

And?

I just switched from Hard to Supernova mid-playthrough, and kicking myself for not starting the game this way. I used this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/theouterworlds/mods/8

That said, the game just came out and I reckon the difficulty curve as it exists now is to cater to the median playerbase rather than hardcore gamers, so maybe we'll see customizable difficulty or at least more dynamic scaling added later, or modded in if nothing else.

Last edited:
Better method of skipping intro videos than what I previously posted about deleting/renaming the movie files. This bypass loads the Main Menu near-instantly:

Open %LOCALAPPDATA%\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\game.ini and add the following:

Code:
[/Script/MoviePlayer.MoviePlayerSettings]
bWaitForMoviesToComplete=False
bMoviesAreSkippable=True
StartupMovies=

Last edited:
I might try it, the AI is pretty dumb as well, they just charge right into my heavy weapons fire.

The AI is definitely too suicidal for Companion Permadeath to make sense, so that mod lets you run Supernova without the permadeath, fast travel or save restrictions (you can toggle these individually).

You first back up all your saves in "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds" (just in case you decide you don't like Supernova)

Then you drop winhttp.dll and overrides.ini file into the same folder as the game executable, making sure you change iDifficulty to 3 (its -1 by default) for Supernova:

Code:
[Overrides]
bSaveAnywhere=true
bFastTravelAnywhere=true
bDisableCompanionDeath=true
iDifficulty=3

Then you load the game, load one of your saves, create a new save, and then re-load that save and you're on Supernova (you'll notice the new food/drink/sleep icons).

Last edited:
The AI is definitely too suicidal for Companion Permadeath to make sense, so that mod lets you run Supernova without the permadeath, fast travel or save restrictions (you can toggle these individually).

You first back up all your saves in "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds" (just in case you decide you don't like Supernova)

Then you drop winhttp.dll and overrides.ini file into the same folder as the game executable, making sure you change iDifficulty to 3 (its -1 by default) for Supernova:

Code:
[Overrides]
bSaveAnywhere=true
bFastTravelAnywhere=true
bDisableCompanionDeath=true
iDifficulty=3

Then you load the game, load one of your saves, create a new save, and then re-load that save and you're on Supernova (you'll notice the new food/drink/sleep icons).

Yep, sounds like I need the mod. Permideath for companions doesn’t make sense unless companions are endless and randomly generated, or there is a good last chance mechanic to save them.

Yep, sounds like I need the mod. Permideath for companions doesn’t make sense unless companions are endless and randomly generated, or there is a good last chance mechanic to save them.

Yeah its a tale of two extremes - either they're invincible in Hard mode - where you can just ignore all the Companion-specific health perks and let them run around armorless in T-shirts, or you tank them up in heavy armor and use all the companion-specific health perks but they still die in 1-2 shots in Supernova.

A last-chance mechanic, or maybe having to pay 5000 bits in medical expenses to get them functional again -- there's gotta be some better middle ground. I don't remember what mods came along for Skyrim or Fallout that may have handled this issue better.

Last edited:
They get a last chance mechanic way, way late into the perk tree.

Haven't had much time to play since my last post in this thread.

I might try it, the AI is pretty dumb as well, they just charge right into my heavy weapons fire.
I don't know how they expected permadeath to work for them, even on normal they die almost instantly at the start of every encounter.

Played this for 3 hrs last night and it feels a ton like Borderlands to me mixed in with some Fallout. Seems okay so far but nothing that I haven't seen before.

Solution: needed to actually enable Xbox Live services. Then needed to install the Xbox software for cloud saves (which I want as I'll be playing on different systems). After a reboot, I was good to go.

[As background, the particular system was one on which Windows was loaded using the decrapifyer process which disables nonessentials -- this is great, but obviously targets Xbox stuff by default; another system that had been built up normally had no issue installing and running the game]

Currently ratfucked here. No idea what to do next -- there are no options.

View attachment 195086

Who is that looking for hate clicks? What does it have to do with Bethesda? I liked Fallout4 well enough, but this game just blows it out the water.
In no way does this game blow FO4 out of the water. I have 100+ hours in the base game. This game will be about 20 doing every quest.

Outer worlds has polish, but it is nothing like the Fallout games in scale. Not even close.

In no way does this game blow FO4 out of the water. I have 100+ hours in the base game. This game will be about 20 doing every quest.

Outer worlds has polish, but it is nothing like the Fallout games in scale. Not even close.
You seem to suggest that scale is everything. FO4 might be bigger in scale (I'm not even sure about that, someone who has time to waste will add up the area sizes), but it was definitely worse in every other sense.

So far OW seems to be perfectly balanced, it doesn't need to be 100 hours to be good or better than FO4.

No way:
  1. Characters
  2. Setting
  3. Dialogue
  4. VO
  5. Writing
  6. Graphics design
  7. Gunplay
  8. Balance
  9. Inventory management
  10. Story
  11. Sound design
  12. How skill affects abilities
  13. The ability to solve the same problem multiple ways
  14. Character creator
These are just the things from the top of my head that are much better in OW than in FO4, yes scale is not one of them. But I'll choose a tight well balanced game over an empty pointless sandbox every day. That's Ubisoft's speciality. Huge scale for no reason.

Outer worlds has serious balance issues, and most other things you list are subjective.

Everyone will agree the game has polish, but that’s the extent of what I agree with you.

Better method of skipping intro videos than what I previously posted about deleting/renaming the movie files. This bypass loads the Main Menu near-instantly:

Open %LOCALAPPDATA%\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\game.ini and add the following:

Code:
[/Script/MoviePlayer.MoviePlayerSettings]
bWaitForMoviesToComplete=False
bMoviesAreSkippable=True
StartupMovies=

Anyone know where i can find this when i am playing with the windows store version?

You can definitely make the same ini tweaks in the Windows Store version. I just wish you can change the variables around the executable itself.

and most other things you list are subjective.
Duh!

Everything that matters is subjective. And what can be measured objectively doesn't define a game's worth. Two games, one lasts 50 hours, the other 30. Which one is better?

Welp just beat the game, really tried to finish everything...hope I did.

One thing I will say is DAMN basically all the major decision you make in this game will make your ending totally different then almost everyone else....I am amazed how someones ending could be vastly different then yours. Bravo Obsidian, this is how a good rpg ending should be!

Back