The Outer Worlds (New Obsidian RPG)

Yes there is actual shooting. and it is slightly better than FO4, the shooting.

The game is much better than I expected. I actually couldn't put it down when I started playing yesterday. So I played from about 8pm to 1 am.

Thanks, though I skipped FO4. Maybe I should watch a few gameplay videos

Fuck it, $1 for the first month, free spotify premium for 6 months, and free Outer Worlds? Why not Microsoft.

The game is much better than I expected. I actually couldn't put it down when I started playing yesterday. So I played from about 8pm to 1 am.

I'm with you and in fact I'm going to go a step further.

I *might* be looking at my personal Game of The Year right here.

It's the closest to a real "Fallout New Vegas/ better than Fallout 4 in space" with some Mass Effect salutes to boot. This is definitely the Obsidian I was hoping was going to show up. It has all of their sensibilities and good things they put in their games.

This is just hitting a lot of my personal marks. I'm a sucker for these types of games.

Last edited:
I like the number of decisions available to you. It's not just like Mass Effect (or even the last couple Fallouts) where you're basically just making the same decision for different reasons.
Shooting is pretty crisp. I'm coming from Borderlands and while it isn't quite that fast, it IS smooth. Turning mouse acceleration off is a definite must, though.
While some graphics (like the faces and their animations) aren't the greatest, the overall look is great, IMO. I ended up turning shadows and screen effect down a notch to keep performance up.
There are some definite bugs with the game's options. For instance the rebind screen seems to never remember my controls...even though the game does. The visual options are also pretty sparse. Hopefully they'll add some additional was to tweak your visuals rather than having 5 catch-all settings.

It's been fun so far. Played maybe an hour. I like the characters. There is some real personality to this game. Performance seems ok at 1080p on all high settings. Especially since I am on an old ass [email protected] 16gb and a 980 Gtx.

Want to play this, but ...

I want to be lazy on my couch, and I don't feel like spending $60 on the PS4 edition.

May sub to XBL once the first major "fix all the broken stuff" patch comes out, unless I see it pop up on a good deal for PS4 around the holidays.

Downloading now at 50MB/s

Did not know I could play this for $1

Reactions: DrDoU
like this

This, all of this. I went from 9pm until what I thought was "it must be 12:30 by now, I better get to-- WTF its 4:19AM!" Yes it's one of those games. I also don't normally stop to read manuals or logs but in this one I'm reading everything - unlike a Bethesd sandbox, the readables aren't filler, they're all deliberate and thought-out and tie in to something.

New Vegas + KOTOR + Firefly in one slick package that ultimately transcends those comparisons.

I definitely recommend wandering around and exploring the open areas outside the questlines - some good loot out there. Found a unique LMG at only Level 2, modded it up to like 679 DPS, gave it to my companion and its utter comedy watching her utterly murder 20 x Primals in seconds.

Last edited:
PSA: If you have a 4K display and/or HDR, run Windowed Fullscreen in-game and disable windows text scaling.

I initially launched the game with 125% text scaling set in Windows, and couldn't figure out why the game wouldn't let me choose 3840x2160 in Windowed Full screen mode (slider maxed at 3072x19xx). Switching to Full Screen mode kicked Windows out of HDR (game looks really dull), and graphics noticably blurry because from what I've read, the game may be rendering at 1440p and up-rezzing to 4K when in Full Screen mode. Windowed Fullscreen mode is way sharper and being rendered in actual 4K.

I looked around online/reddit and no solution, so I started troubleshooting. The breakthrough was disabling windows text scaling (by setting it to 100%). Then 3840x2160 became available in game settings, and now the game looks great.

View attachment 195143
Thank you for this! I thought everything looked a little blurry at 4K. Would not have thought to try changing the text scaling.

I guess all of you are oblivious to the random little hitches and framerate drops? There are some others on the official forums reporting the exact same thing so dont say its just me. It has nothing to do with the game being demanding as it happens even during modest gpu usage. The game is quite demanding though as my 1080 ti gets close to full usage at times at 1440p and 60 fps which is ridiculous for such outdated crappy visuals. And also when I exit the game it still keeps running in task manager.

Game runs great for me, probably your PC.
Hard to tell if trolling or genuinely stupid. AGAIN there are others with the exact same problems so no it is not my goddamn pc. People playing without vsync on probably will never notice the hitches though.

EDIT: And if that is your current pc in your sig then you would have no clue how a game should run anyway...

Hard to tell if trolling or genuinely stupid. AGAIN there are others with the exact same problems so no it is not my goddamn pc. People playing without vsync on probably will never notice the hitches though.

EDIT: And if that is your current pc in your sig then you would have no clue how a game should run anyway...

No need for insults, sheesh! "Others" is not ALL, so that's presumptuous of you to think that just you and "others" are having those issues, that everyone is and just "too stupid" to realize.

I have had no issues with the game.

I guess all of you are oblivious to the random little hitches and framerate drops? There are some others on the official forums reporting the exact same thing so dont say its just me. It has nothing to do with the game being demanding as it happens even during modest gpu usage. The game is quite demanding though as my 1080 ti gets close to full usage at times at 1440p and 60 fps which is ridiculous for such outdated crappy visuals. And also when I exit the game it still keeps running in task manager.

I may have seen some of this hitching a little bit. I agree that the game is fairly demanding for what's being presented. It's good looking and all but it's definitely not bleeding edge tech.

Have you tried turning it off and back on?

Have you tried turning it off and back on?
The problem is not just with vsync. Having vsync on simply makes the hitches more noticeable. It is not horrible just annoying as I did not spend all this money on hardware to have a subpar experience at only 1440p.

I haven't had any issues with hitching either and my computer is considerably less powerful than yours. (I play with vsync off at 1440p, ultra settings, unlimited framerate.)

My biggest issue is LOD pop-in. The game isn't that demanding on my RAM, i'd rather load more shit at once and take a heavier load than deal with obvious model shifts 20ft away. I'm hoping some eventual .ini tweaks will fix this, as they do with most unreal games.

Well after 6 hours of game play, I went back and started over. I hate being locked out of Dialogue options. Discovered you can actually reduce some Attributes to "below average" to get an additional point. Maxed my Intelligence & Perception, and bumped Charm to High. Taking some other lessons I learned and trying this again.

Apart from that, I'm having fun, can't put the game down. Went to bed an hour late two nights in a row now. Makes work suck more than usual, but what is a completionist to do?

I dropped it after a few hours. Feels like a really generic combination of borderlands and new vegas. It has so many strong similarities to Borderlands, you can tell they straight up ripped it off in a lot of ways.

Combat is passable, the loot system is total garbage. I'll try it again later down the road. Not a bad game, just not compelling.

I dropped it after a few hours. Feels like a really generic combination of borderlands and new vegas. It has so many strong similarities to Borderlands, you can tell they straight up ripped it off in a lot of ways.

Combat is passable, the loot system is total garbage. I'll try it again later down the road. Not a bad game, just not compelling.
I have not felt a Borderlands vibe from this game at all.

No game issues here, max every setting, 3440/1440, 70-100 fps, fov 100.

The only borderlands feel is that the characters are quirky, but if that’s the bar then it’s a damn low bar.

It’s good, i’m not 100% enraptured but it is easily the best fallout since NV. Will enjoy completely.

Well after 6 hours of game play, I went back and started over. I hate being locked out of Dialogue options. Discovered you can actually reduce some Attributes to "below average" to get an additional point. Maxed my Intelligence & Perception, and bumped Charm to High. Taking some other lessons I learned and trying this again.

You can also use temporary buffs like alcohol and caffeine to boost dialog traits, as well as swap in certain armor pieces with +5 Dialog Skill buffs. Certain companions also provide dialog buffs.

Last edited:
Controllers or Keyboards?

Wish I would have just bitten the bullet and bought PC despite all the Epic Store BS. I hate using a Controller in any game I need to shoot things. The FOV is too restrictive, I have to play on easy because using a Controller is like trying to put a puzzle together with wet noodles for hands; and there is no quick save so I'm in and out the menu (and resulting loading screens) every 3 minutes doing manual saves.

Still, the game is good enough I keep at it.

I've played up to level 4 now and no issues, only thing i've noticed is cpu usage is 100% but since its still playing smooth i guess that doesn't even matter.

Wish I would have just bitten the bullet and bought PC despite all the Epic Store BS. I hate using a Controller in any game I need to shoot things. The FOV is too restrictive, I have to play on easy because using a Controller is like trying to put a puzzle together with wet noodles for hands; and there is no quick save so I'm in and out the menu (and resulting loading screens) every 3 minutes doing manual saves.

Still, the game is good enough I keep at it.

I started with gamepad on pc then quickly switched back to keyboard, the aiming is so much easier for me on keyboard/mouse. oh and you coulda avoided epic and went with ms store game :)

I'm with you and in fact I'm going to go a step further.

I *might* be looking at my personal Game of The Year right here.

It's the closest to a real "Fallout New Vegas/ better than Fallout 4 in space" with some Mass Effect salutes to boot. This is definitely the Obsidian I was hoping was going to show up. It has all of their sensibilities and good things they put in their games.

This is just hitting a lot of my personal marks. I'm a sucker for these types of games.
Is it more action or more dialogue?

I'm also getting the little hitches and I don't think they're related to vsync. They're more like the type of hitches you normally see when a new area is loading. We're not talking about a consistent stutter, but more of an occasional millisecond pause. Performance-wise, I think the mist/fog effects are the most taxing things for my system. I can see/feel a definite performance drop when they're prevalent.
I'm going very slowly as I expect we'll see a quality of life patch that will fix some of these things soon. I'd love to see a resolution scale option but am not holding my breath.
The UWP version seems especially quirky since you can't tweak any environmental variables.
Technical/performance quirks aside, I really like the game.

Legit feel sorry for everyone that knows you in real life.

Apart from that, I'm having fun, can't put the game down. Went to bed an hour late two nights in a row now. Makes work suck more than usual, but what is a completionist to do?
Well if you could have access to everything with a single character build it wouldn't be a very good rpg. I would count this as a pro not an issue.
I have no charm, bellow average intelligence but still can persuade or intimidate anyone into submission. Next time I'll try a hacker / lockpicker spec with high stealth.
The good thing about the game is that there is always another option to solve a problem, If you can't talk your way out of it. And some dialogue options need high medical or science skills, you can't have them all. And that's all right.

Naa, it’s probably your PC.

It has so many strong similarities to Borderlands, you can tell they straight up ripped it off in a lot of ways.
If it had reminded me of borderlands I'd be vomiting in streams from it and scrubbing it from my hard drive. Thankfully borderlands never crossed my mind in the entire time I played it so far, which is about 11 hours. New Vegas, maybe. Mass Effect definitely. And Unreal II a bit.

I expected it to run terrible instead I play 3840x1600 maxed out on my 1080 without an issue. The graphics is not that bad anyway, definitely not crappy, maybe a bit outdated, but not that much. I mean it looks significantly better than FO4.

Game is fucking amazing. I've put over 30 hours just in this weekend already.

Runs amazing on my PC, only issues I have is the occasional hitching, usually when just starting the game or just randomly. I chalk that up to my aging processor, though...as when hitching occurs my processor is peaked out....regardless, barely an issue and very much playable.

You're attacking everyone and calling them morons/etc., but you're playing with VSync on?

lul

IMO, the game isn't over a 90% for me.

It runs well enough, and is fairly bug free.

However, the game just doesn't get me sucked into it like Skyrim / Fallout 3 did. It's just not open enough for me, and I was also hoping for some level of crafting beyond the simplistic system this game has.

Back