The Outer Worlds (New Obsidian RPG)

Windows Store subscription is literally a buck a month atm, so your just kicking yourself in the nuts to support Steam imho. I'm sure Gabe's happy.

It's not about supporting steam, it's about not supporting platforms I don't like. And a buck a month? What is this? I have to pay them for the privilege of spending my money with them? Not trying to be a jackass I seriously don't know what their pay model looks like.

It's not about supporting steam, it's about not supporting platforms I don't like. And a buck a month? What is this? I have to pay them for the privilege of spending my money with them? Not trying to be a jackass I seriously don't know what their pay model looks like.

:facepalm: $1 a month give you access to most of their titles for free.

I like money more than I care about store fronts, and Microsoft already has all your base anyway.

:facepalm: $1 a month give you access to most of their titles for free.

I like money more than I care about store fronts, and Microsoft already has all your base anyway.

So you're going to play outer worlds for $1?

Well damn, that I can understand.
I was reluctant at first, but its acutally a really good deal. I finally get to plat metro:exodus without having to pay epic, I also get forza horizon 4 for free. Having outer worlds for free on there was what set me over to buying it. I can justify paying $4 a month (thats after the first $1 month is over) to play games i probably would only play once anyways. I can play them and beat them and not feel bad about spending $60 on it just for it to collect dust in my steam library. Yeah you dont get to keep the games forever once they are off gamepass, but you still have plenty of time to complete a new release before its removed from game pass. I look at this service like a premium rental service where i pay a small upfront fee and i can play all the games for free until they have to be "returned"

I am in for $1. Best deal on a new game ever. Don't say I got one free with my gpu either. You paid more than $1 for the gpu.

After finishing Outer Worlds, there's still GoW5, Dishonored 2, Metro Exodus that I'll finally get around to playing - all for $1 (er, $6 -- since second month will be $4.99). I've read some reports of people canceling, and then getting another $1 offer from MS to re-up, and people are just chaining those $1 re-subscriptions. Madness.

Epic has gotta be hating Microsoft right now, with XGP-PC just a big black hole sucking all of EGS' $60 Outer World sales away.

Epic Game Store preload is up finally maybe I'll have it done by midnight or slightly after.
I just read something on the Epic forums and poof it went live.

Just launched it, no ultrawidescreen support. Pass until it patches(if it does) or a workaround is found. Glad i used Xbox Game Pass for it. Bummer, excited for this one.

Epic Game Store preload is up finally maybe I'll have it done by midnight or slightly after.
I just read something on the Epic forums and poof it went live.
EGS didnt have a preload untill launch day LOL? Game pass preload has been up for a few days already. Not sure why anyone would pay $60 on EGS when you can pay $1 for a Game pass, beat the game in a month or two and then cancel if you would and only be out $1 - $5.

I got in but shortly after I create my character, the game crashes. Twice now. I'm hoping it's my overclocking tool. Going to shut that off and dial everything back.

Just launched it, no ultrawidescreen support. Pass until it patches(if it does) or a workaround is found. Glad i used Xbox Game Pass for it. Bummer, excited for this one.

I am more surprised when games have native ultra wide support these days then when they don’t. Pity it’s not a standard feature across the board.

I am more surprised when games have native ultra wide support these days then when they don’t. Pity it’s not a standard feature across the board.
Not me, almost all current games, Capcom excluded, that are AAA have ultrawidescreen. I rarely come across something new, thats not some indie, that doesnt.

Not my photo but it appears to work fine. Do you have it set to Windowed Fullscreen?

https://i.redd.it/53c5f38onku31.jpg

My problem is that it runs like garbage, regardless of settings. Same problem I had with Borderlands 3, another UE4 game.

Last edited:
Not my photo but it appears to work fine. Do you have it set to Windowed Fullscreen?

https://i.redd.it/53c5f38onku31.jpg

My problem is that it runs like garbage, regardless of settings. Same problem I had with Borderlands 3. :|

it runs in a weird 2xxx by 1440 res, and everything isn't in proper aspect ratio, really only noticeable with the characters. Ive tried multiple settings. Already a thread on obsidian forums about it.

I digress, wasn't meaning to throw this off, just my OCD with ultrawidescreen.

Played through the first little bit - think I'm going to really enjoy this title.

One thing I noticed right away - the Item management is leagues better than Fallout's Pipboy system. Feels nice to quickly sort, equip, repair, etc with the default UI.

I'm playing on ultrawide just fine. But after reading the issues, it'll probably bug the shit out of me now.

Edit - NVM, mines working. 3440x1440.

I'm playing on ultrawide just fine. But after reading the issues, it'll probably bug the shit out of me now.

Edit - NVM, mines working. 3440x1440.

Screen of settings?

*edit, actually thats good news. Other reports of some people being able to pick 3440x1440 and others with the 2xxx 1440p im having. Hopefully an easy fix. nvidia 1080ti gtx here.

Last edited:
Screen of settings?
Windowed fullscreen
3440x1440
Ultra everything except for shadows
UI all default settings.

But I just noticed something. Going to the workbench and clicking on repair, on the left is says "**** tinker. Upgrade your ****". *** referencing to words that are cut off from the screen that I can't see. And also come to think of it, everything seems a little zoomed in.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Windowed fullscreen
3440x1440
Ultra everything except for shadows
UI all default settings.

But I just noticed something. Going to the workbench and clicking on repair, on the left is says "**** tinker. Upgrade your ****". *** referencing to words that are cut off from the screen that I can't see. And also come to think of it, everything seems a little zoomed in.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

dang. :(

Played about 90 minutes of The Outer Worlds.

I really like it so far, it's a leaner, cleaner version of an open world bethesda game. Not every building can be entered, only the interesting ones. Not every damn object can be picked up, so far only the useful ones. Not every NPC has a name - only the relevant ones, but you can still talk to everyone else. The skill trees immediately offer big benefits, even by level 2 I was seeing skills that I wish existed in Skyrim/fallout.

NPCs that should know your follower directly acknowledge and talk to them during dialogue, npcs can get tired of talking to you if you keep questioning them too long.

I'm not far at all, but I have a feeling i'm gonna like it.

Also, it's not buggy! It functions like it's made in an engine made this decade!

I'll keep you updated, I really have only touched the surface, haven't even finished a single quest yet.

Oh yeah, R7 1700, GTX 1070, game seems to not use more than 6GB of ram at any given point. I have everything on ultra and it appears smooth enough for this type of game, I can't get any framerate counter working on it so I can't verify.

----------------------------------------
That said, I'll likely be rebuying the game on steam in the future, the game pass version looks impossible to mod and I really miss a lot of steam's niceties.

Back