The Outer Worlds (New Obsidian RPG)

The Xbox Game Pass is the easiest way to get the game for cheap and it has tons of other good perks.
Getting refunds from MS tends to be rather easy and quick in my experience.
Getting one from Epic involves playing email tag and is handled the same way they handle any kind of random support request. I actually replied to their communications using 3 different email addresses and they didn't even seem to notice. Seemed like a security red flag to me.

I'd buy from Ms store before epic, and I did.

I'm guessing any future obsidian games would be on all stores now that ms owns them.

And that's damn refreshing (MS now putting their games on multiple stores). I was unhappy with the half-baked, "mobile app" direction MS took with the Win8 / Win10 store for a long time, but have to give them credit for XGP-PC. It's never been about hating MS but wanting to see them do better, which they finally are. XGP for PC has only been around since June 2019, and already 100x more evolved than EGS.

Last edited:
Epic has no e-mail confirmation when you create an account and no 2FA last time I checked. The blase attitude exhibited toward security by Epic is reason enough to avoid them, in my opinion.

I appreciate the info, I immediately went and signed up - downloaded the Xbox installer for Windows Store ANNNNNDDD I can't install it because of an incompatibility in my version of Windows 10? WTF? Apparently my PC isn't "ready" for version 1903 required to install the Xbox app?

I appreciate the info, I immediately went and signed up - downloaded the Xbox installer for Windows Store ANNNNNDDD I can't install it because of an incompatibility in my version of Windows 10? WTF? Apparently my PC isn't "ready" for version 1903 required to install the Xbox app?
You can try forcing the update by using the standalone Update Assistant program. I've done this in the past and it actually works better than going through Windows Update.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Is it stable now? I think I did this earlier in the year and it messed a lot of shit up and I had to do a rollback.
I just updated to it second week of September and I've had no issues. I think all the major issues have been resolved. It did reenable a lot of shit that I had to disable again, though, but that was expected. Thankfully the "auto cleanup" feature (which deleted 4GB of stuff from my primary hard drive without letting me know before knowing about it...) was still off.

I just updated to it second week of September and I've had no issues. I think all the major issues have been resolved. It did reenable a lot of shit that I had to disable again, though, but that was expected. Thankfully the "auto cleanup" feature (which deleted 4GB of stuff from my primary hard drive without letting me know before knowing about it...) was still off.

Anything specific I should be aware of to disable? It's been a while since I've done a windows installation.

And that's damn refreshing (MS now putting their games on multiple stores). I was unhappy with the half-baked, "mobile app" direction MS took with the Win8 / Win10 store for a long time, but have to give them credit for XGP-PC. It's never been about hating MS but wanting to see them do better, which they finally are. XGP for PC has only been around since June 2019, and already 100x more evolved than EGS.

Is it better? I used it for Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2, and it was atrocious back then.

Anything specific I should be aware of to disable? It's been a while since I've done a windows installation.
I honestly don't keep a list, I just meticulously go through every setting after an update.
Is it better? I used it for Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2, and it was atrocious back then.
I've only played Gears 5 so far after the update, and am happy to report that the whole store is more responsive. There is still an issue with your library taking forever to populate and sometimes not loading the entire thing. The issue is I have over 600 purchases or so including DLC made on my Xbox and the app wants to show all of them even though you can't install most of the content on your PC. I also find sorting and filtering still mostly useless. Why a local cache isn't kept so it doesn't have to load the library every time is a mystery to me. Steam has been doing it with no issues ever since the days of dialup modems.

I honestly don't keep a list, I just meticulously go through every setting after an update.

I've only played Gears 5 so far after the update, and am happy to report that the whole store is more responsive. There is still an issue with your library taking forever to populate and sometimes not loading the entire thing. The issue is I have over 600 purchases or so including DLC made on my Xbox and the app wants to show all of them even though you can't install most of the content on your PC. I also find sorting and filtering still mostly useless. Why a local cache isn't kept so it doesn't have to load the library every time is a mystery to me. Steam has been doing it with no issues ever since the days of dialup modems.

Everything looks a little bright for some reason, other than that, much better than the last one I installed that FUCKED my color profile for my Samsung TV.

Epic has no e-mail confirmation when you create an account and no 2FA last time I checked. The blase attitude exhibited toward security by Epic is reason enough to avoid them, in my opinion.

EGS does have 2FA, I have it on my account (which I just use to grab the free games as they come out). The "remember device" feature doesn't seem to work that well for me, though.

The Outer Worlds review - RPG comfort food that never stretches the imagination

A conventional, easygoing scifi RPG with slightly wasted satirical elements that fades very quickly from the mind

I don't hate The Outer Worlds...I guess what I hate about it is that it's sufficiently unhateful that you can spend 30 hours playing it without noticing...It's solidly-made enough that you keep hanging around in the hope of something more, like a layer of catchy percussion that never quite escalates into a song...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...re-piece-that-never-stretches-the-imagination

Assuming there's no discount for a Steam pre-purchase copy? GMG is Epic. Weak.

Oh wait, forgot - no Steam until 2020. Fun times.

What's worse, MS Store or Epic Store? Which one are you guys buying?

I bought a PS4 copy until it releases on Steam. Not ideal, but whatever.

Everything looks a little bright for some reason, other than that, much better than the last one I installed that FUCKED my color profile for my Samsung TV.
Check the HDR settings. I keep the Windows HDR setting turned off on desktop, but it was turned on by default after installing 19H1.

Thanks for the advice my friend. Definitely worth the MS store subscription - especially if the game doesn't have a ton of longevity. Of course I'd buy it outright if it were on Steam, but it's not, and I'm still riding the F Epic Store train until something comes out that I absolutely can't wait for on Steam, so this was a win for me.

Check the HDR settings. I keep the Windows HDR setting turned off on desktop, but it was turned on by default after installing 19H1.

Thankfully I figured it out. Something slightly changed in my color profile and the combination of that with my TV being set on a "Warm" setting made things a little yellow looking.

Looks like I'll be playing this game before Call of Duty don't know what the file size will be though.

What boggles my mind is the people who wont even play a wonderful game if it isn't on Steam. Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of all these game launchers, but that should never hold someone back from playing a great game.

To be honest I think Steam will be void of a lot of AAA titles since most companies want to make more money. No point is paying 30% royalty fee's anymore with so many choices regarding game launchers. If you make a great game, people will buy it regardless of the game launcher.

Back on topic - I am curious how mods will work for The Outer Worlds, specially with the Xbox pass version....hope mods will work on it. Guess we will find out soon enough!

Is that when you’re going to play it? I plan on playing it on Friday.
All points seem like that's the time for Steam.

To answer the implied questions.
- not a fan of Epic Games
- not a fan of how Epic Games handles security
- not a fan of having ANOTHER system to keep track of for my credentials, security, 2FA, payment information, etc.
- not a fan of developers being forced to divvying up the pros and cons of distribution exclusives on, what is essentially, the same platform.
- mild level of concern about Tencent and what they'll do when they start to lumber around
- over all the "first to play" luster is supremely diminished, or first to see, or what ever. I'm old I guess.

I'll be happy watching the thread meander until that time in which the powers of artificial scarcity open the flood gates to the platform of my choice. :D

- not a fan of having ANOTHER system to keep track of for my credentials, security, 2FA, payment information, etc.
- not a fan of developers being forced to divvying up the pros and cons of distribution exclusives on, what is essentially, the same platform.
- mild level of concern about Tencent and what they'll do when they start to lumber around
- over all the "first to play" luster is supremely diminished, or first to see, or what ever. I'm old I guess.

I'll be happy watching the thread meander until that time in which the powers of artificial scarcity open the flood gates to the platform of my choice. :D

WINDOWS STORE (you know microsoft has all your shit already anyway).

Then buy it on the windows store. It's already on your system, you can't remove it and you will only have to pay $4.99 to play the game tomorrow. O and Tencent has nothing to do with the Windows Store.

So, IMO all your complaints just got thrown out the Window!

Didn't know it was there.. I guess I can go look at what ever this xbox live shenanigans is being pumped around there.

It is, and you can play it for 10$ a month, tempted to do that because in a month I'll be done and I can give Gears 5 a go. Cancel at end of month, 2 60ish dollar games crunched for 10$. That should make the old man happy (I know it does for me).

It is, and you can play it for 10$ a month, tempted to do that because in a month I'll be done and I can give Gears 5 a go. Cancel at end of month, 2 60ish dollar games crunched for 10$. That should make the old man happy (I know it does for me).

I originally did the $1 promo just for Gears 5 and planned on dropping the service in 6 weeks. Then this was revealed as Game Pass title. Then I started looking at the other titles that also count. It's actually a really good deal to keep it. 95% of MS's high-profile titles are on the PC.

No pun intended!

:shifty: Oh it was intended all right. :p

I originally did the $1 promo just for Gears 5 and planned on dropping the service in 6 weeks. Then this was revealed as Game Pass title. Then I started looking at the other titles that also count. It's actually a really good deal to keep it. 95% of MS's high-profile titles are on the PC.

I find subscription services run away on me, and I tend to focus on a title (maybe two) till substantial completion. So these days I cancel them as soon as I am done with the game I was playing.

Last minute hype may have me at least trying this with Game Pass, if not buying it outright. I bash Obsidian for their gameplay decisions, but they can still write one hell of a story.
What boggles my mind is the people who wont even play a wonderful game if it isn't on Steam. Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of all these game launchers, but that should never hold someone back from playing a great game.

To be honest I think Steam will be void of a lot of AAA titles since most companies want to make more money. No point is paying 30% royalty fee's anymore with so many choices regarding game launchers. If you make a great game, people will buy it regardless of the game launcher.

Back on topic - I am curious how mods will work for The Outer Worlds, specially with the Xbox pass version....hope mods will work on it. Guess we will find out soon enough!
Don't care if it's not on Steam. If it's only on the EGS then I won't buy it. Epic are hypocrites as developers release there games everywhere but Steam on other platforms that still have a 70/30 split. That's as much as I'll say here as I don't want to derail the thread.

Back