The Outer Worlds (New Obsidian RPG)

Fuck me why can't they make unassed facial animations.

Because budgets are a thing. Private Label handles smaller budget releases, they're not going to be handing out $100m budgets to developers. Also, its not like Obsidian has ever been known for producing graphically impressive games. I feel like people are harping way too much on the graphics and face animations. Its not going to ruin the game if the face animations are wonky or the graphics aren't as good as a AAA title.

The fact that you came up with an idea doesn't mean you can re-hash the same idea ad nausea until all eternity and expect it to still be fresh.

Irrational has the same problem, that if you played system shock none of their other games had anything new. Bioshock was just a streamlined mainstreamized version of system shock even the stories had similar elements.

So there is no point in them doing what they know or do best because it isn't "fresh"? Everything is a rehash depending how you look at it. Hell the largest selling games of the last 10 years have been rehashes of themselves (which does not equate quality). Frankly, in this case, I'll still take it amid the sea of generic, open world, games as a service, half-baked at release, mediocrity as an acheivement games that we currently get to choose from. There is more creativeity in the writing I've seen in the trailers alone so far, than in the vast majority of what the market has had to offer the last several years. Maybe I'm just prone to support actual story driven single player games, but I'm looking forward to it.

All I know is I looked at the "first 20 minutes" video, skipped around and thought "yes I want to play this".

A game that's going to let me explore, shoot, and loot - with RPG elements? I'm there. Facial animations? Who cares - I am not playing to have long, deep conversations with NPCs. Those convo's are speedbumps - give me the branching choice then get out of my face.

Last edited:
So there is no point in them doing what they know or do best because it isn't "fresh"? Everything is a rehash depending how you look at it. Hell the largest selling games of the last 10 years have been rehashes of themselves (which does not equate quality). Frankly, in this case, I'll still take it amid the sea of generic, open world, games as a service, half-baked at release, mediocrity as an acheivement games that we currently get to choose from. There is more creativeity in the writing I've seen in the trailers alone so far, than in the vast majority of what the market has had to offer the last several years. Maybe I'm just prone to support actual story driven single player games, but I'm looking forward to it.
Games in the same series can be re-hashes of previous ones in the series with various improvements. But taking the exact same recipe into a new franchise is not very exciting, except for newborns who haven't played the original.

I'm not judging this game either way yet, I juts hope its not "more of the same".

I am not playing to have long, deep conversations with NPCs. Those convo's are speedbumps - give me the branching choice then get out of my face.
The conversations with NPCs is what gives meaning to the branching story and makes the looting / painful shooting (I don't have high hopes in that regard) mechanics worth it.
What good is a story if I don't care about the NPCs?

Starting to feel pretty excited for this title, currently in between games and am holding off on getting into a new one (though Prey has been tempting me again) so I can play this Day One-ish.

Graphics don't really bother me all that much, Obsidian games haven't ever really been knockouts in terms of beauty. And Outer Worlds has a decent aesthetic imo.

The most surprising thing about the graphics for me is how much they got an Unreal Engine game to look like a Gamebryo title.

The conversations with NPCs is what gives meaning to the branching story and makes the looting / painful shooting (I don't have high hopes in that regard) mechanics worth it.
What good is a story if I don't care about the NPCs?

Its not that I don't care about the story or NPC's, but they're kind of secondary to the action elements - for me - so I really just meant that the criticisms about facial animations aren't really deterring me from looking forward to this title. The animations in the gameplay I've seen look perfectly passable. Whether or not they haven't really "evolved" since Fallout NV I don't really care - its a valid criticism but won't stop me from playing and enjoying.

Games in the same series can be re-hashes of previous ones in the series with various improvements. But taking the exact same recipe into a new franchise is not very exciting, except for newborns who haven't played the original.

I'm not judging this game either way yet, I juts hope its not "more of the same".

Agreed for the most part, the only exception I'd make is when a Publisher takes an IP in a direction other than what the creator meant for it (such as the Fallout series) and the Devs have to create a new IP to continue their vision.

As far as "more of the same goes", I hear you. I have varying degrees of tolerance for this depending on IP. I don't ever want to play another Call of Duty clone again... ever. But an original Fallout 'spiritual successor' I can deal with. In fact it's been long enough since I've played anything with clever writing (Borderlands 3 failed en masse for me) that I'm actually excited for this one.

Its not that I don't care about the story or NPC's, but they're kind of secondary to the action elements - for me - so I really just meant that the criticisms about facial animations aren't really deterring me from looking forward to this title. The animations in the gameplay I've seen look perfectly passable. Whether or not they haven't really "evolved" since Fallout NV I don't really care - its a valid criticism but won't stop me from playing and enjoying.
Hm, I wonder where was that sentiment when Andromeda came out :D

Fallout the combat was always cheesy which made it funny at times with Rads in slow motion.

The combat looks depressingly bad. Notice how the enemies stand still half the time not shooting back?

Check 49:30. Was really awkward to see the NPC shoot, then seemingly stop, turn around, run away while turning his back to you, get into cover, turn around and completely miss yet again. I know it is an RPG, but either they're trying to make the combat intentionally shitty in true RPG fashion or the AI is that bad. Really wish the RPG aspects would just focus on the story and choices/decisions and make the combat similar to a proper shooter. In either case, this looks fairly underwhelming.

I play other games for their combat, I play these games for their writing and hilarious moments. Deus Ex is still largely considered one of the greatest games of all time, and part of that was the laughable enemy AI. Like some cheesy movies, when you get the bad just right, it becomes good. :cool:

It costs as much money to implement that as some games entire budgets. Since they aren't a satelite studio of ubisoft or activision type publishers, they don't get to just add it into their game for free and must decide if it's more worthwhile then say, quality gameplay or design.
Obsidian is owned by Microsoft now. But to be fair, this game was in development and nearly finished by the time ink was put to paper.

Check 49:30. Was really awkward to see the NPC shoot, then seemingly stop, turn around, run away while turning his back to you, get into cover, turn around and completely miss yet again. I know it is an RPG, but either they're trying to make the combat intentionally shitty in true RPG fashion or the AI is that bad. Really wish the RPG aspects would just focus on the story and choices/decisions and make the combat similar to a proper shooter. In either case, this looks fairly underwhelming.

looks very similar to the generic enemy AI from the borderland series.

So can I get this on PC via gamepass or the MS store now or is it still Epic Store exclusive for PC and you guys are talking about Xbox?

Forgive my ignorance, I haven't used the MS since some halo knockoff game I can't remember the name of lol.

Because budgets are a thing. Private Label handles smaller budget releases, they're not going to be handing out $100m budgets to developers. Also, its not like Obsidian has ever been known for producing graphically impressive games. I feel like people are harping way too much on the graphics and face animations. Its not going to ruin the game if the face animations are wonky or the graphics aren't as good as a AAA title.
Yeah ... I’m excited, personally. Looks fun.

Well Damn, I'm not sure how I'm going to make time for this and grind Destiny 2. The steam 2020 date was actually doing me a favor lol. Games pass trial for $1 looks too good to pass up tho.

The Gamepass trial is a straight-up steal. Even if you keep it active there are tons of games that you have access to on both the Xbox and PC.

I have Game Pass until January, so I'll give this a go. Looks decent, and the reviews seem to be mostly positive.

The Gamepass trial is a straight-up steal. Even if you keep it active there are tons of games that you have access to on both the Xbox and PC.
Yep. Xbox Game Pass is Steam competition done right - it actually creates a value-add for gamers, rather than just trying to get games deleted from Steam and calling that "competition".

Looking forward to playing this - Noon PST on Thursday? Obsidian is one of the good guy developers.

Last edited:
With gamepass you only get to play it with active subscription right, you dont get to keep it afterwards?

I cash in bing points so only paid like 10$ for it but curious

Assuming there's no discount for a Steam pre-purchase copy? GMG is Epic. Weak.

Oh wait, forgot - no Steam until 2020. Fun times.

What's worse, MS Store or Epic Store? Which one are you guys buying?

Assuming there's no discount for a Steam pre-purchase copy? GMG is Epic. Weak.

Oh wait, forgot - no Steam until 2020. Fun times.

What's worse, MS Store or Epic Store? Which one are you guys buying?
Epic has no e-mail confirmation when you create an account and no 2FA last time I checked. The blase attitude exhibited toward security by Epic is reason enough to avoid them, in my opinion.

Best option is to just do a month of the xbox game pass PC thing and just play it for a month.

If the game sucks you only spent like $5. If you like the game you can just buy it at a discount and keep it, or just continue subscribing.

Back