The Outer Worlds (New Obsidian RPG)

Probably not an option. Obsidian isn't self-publishing. They have to abide not only by the demands of Private Label (2K) but also likely MS telling them to get this done so they can work on a game for Project Scatlett.

Probably has a bit to do with it. Seems like this is still coming out to PS4. Seems like they have to honor all contracts/commitments for this game even though MS now owns them. I can see MS trying to push this out the door so they can quickly shift to another game that would be Xbox/PS only.

Probably has a bit to do with it. Seems like this is still coming out to PS4. Seems like they have to honor all contracts/commitments for this game even though MS now owns them. I can see MS trying to push this out the door so they can quickly shift to another game that would be Xbox/PS only.

Would be a bad business choice to have your new studio bring out an buggy game and getting a bad rep and then hoping they can fix that with the next game that's exclusive to your platform and still sell a ton of copies.

I doubt they bought them to bury them, MS is not EA.

With all the studios MS has been buying up, they seem to have been smart enough to let developers finish whatever projects they were working on, on the platforms they were developing on.

Outer Worlds (Obsidian), Psychonauts 2 (Double Fine), and Wasteland 3 (inXile) will all be releasing on PS4. Outer Worlds is the only one with a publisher obligation, but I'm sure with enough money Microsoft could have dealt with that if they wanted to. With the other two being crowdfunder, the obligation is to it's backers but (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't believe crowdfunding projects are legally binding. Microsoft could technically choose not to offer PS4 copies, and/or offer refunds for backers who intended to play on PS4. Definitely not worth the headache or the PR nightmare, but at least Microsoft is wise enough to see that supporting a rival console to keep gamers happy is the right move.

I don't really think it would be wise of Microsoft to rush these projects. As it is, Microsoft has made some pretty great strides in winning back gamers favor after the collossal fuckup that was the Xbox One launch and the simultaneous abandonment of PC as a gaming platform. Microsoft lost a lot of Xbox 360 users to Sony this generation, and PC players pretty well wrote them off entirely. The absolute best thing they could do to win back their former customers is continue to correct their mistakes and make choices that benefit gamers on all platforms. Releasing a couple of really solid games on PS4 makes for a great tease for future Xbox exclusives.

I took the risk on this game hoping for a good game I mean if it's anything like New Vegas I'll like it my favorite DLC of all time was Dead Money.

The Outer Worlds: 60 minutes of gameplay

character models are looking pretty rough...

Epic trailer gotta cater to ADD crowd. I preordered this game months ago.

Last edited:
Best to buy it after 6 months to a year after release, after the patches have been released and the price comes down
dark souls 3 came out 3 years ago and the price is exactly the same. but do keep dreaming and wait for the sale that will make your statement true

dark souls 3 came out 3 years ago and the price is exactly the same. but do keep dreaming and wait for the sale that will make your statement true

CoD is like this; I don't buy CoD games, the latest WWII-themed one being the sole exception. It was worth the price of entry, for the single-player side.

But since this is Obsidian and not Activi$ion/Bli$$ard, we'll likely see sales pretty quick.

no company wants to put their game on sale soon after launch. if they do it likely means it sucks and they can't drive sales at the original price, example, rage 2.
If this game is good and gets good reviews it will not go on sale for a long time.

WTF, do they not have an original idea? I see Fallout, Prey, and Bioshock all in that video. It doesn't even look like inspirational influence, but a complete ripoff of those games. Obsidian have always had great stories in their games, but the games themselves have always been kind of mediocre. This looks no different. The game may have been impressive if it came out 10 years ago.

Characters look right at you like bedroom lovers. Game just doesn't have a serious vibe to it which is ok. Looks better than Fallout 4 for sure which was just depressing.

Last edited:
WTF, do they not have an original idea? I see Fallout, Prey, and Bioshock all in that video. It doesn't even look like inspirational influence, but a complete ripoff of those games. Obsidian have always had great stories in their games, but the games themselves have always been kind of mediocre. This looks no different. The game may have been impressive if it came out 10 years ago.

Dude, you do realize that these are the people that did the first two Fallouts, and New Vegas, right? They were the influence to all those games. This was, and still is, their original idea.

I really hope an Obsidian employee that worked on the game doesn't stumble onto this mean post, then fill his pockets with rocks and walk straight into the sea.

graphics look dated but Obsidian always delivers when it comes to gameplay...

From what I've seen, it looks fine.

I feel that we're approaching the uncanny valley here -- improvements not so much to graphics in general but in world and character detail need to be considered on the basis that while possible from a performance standpoint they may not 'add' much and may even take away from the experience if the player oscillates between perceiving realism and perceiving gaming graphics.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
From what I've seen, it looks fine.

I feel that we're approaching the uncanny valley here -- improvements not so much to graphics in general but in world and character detail need to be considered on the basis that while possible from a performance standpoint they may not 'add' much and may even take away from the experience if the player oscillates between perceiving realism and perceiving gaming graphics.

I agree with this but honestly, just look at the game. Graphics absolutely are outdated. The characters just look awkward, like something straight out of Fallout 3 in terms of animations. And the presentation/camera angle just looks so unnatural.

I don't think the story will be that great, but I hope there are good choices or approaches to take gameplay and dialogue wise. New Vegas was going on the right track, but I'd like to see it go a bit further than that.

Dude, you do realize that these are the people that did the first two Fallouts, and New Vegas, right? They were the influence to all those games. This was, and still is, their original idea.
The fact that you came up with an idea doesn't mean you can re-hash the same idea ad nausea until all eternity and expect it to still be fresh.

Irrational has the same problem, that if you played system shock none of their other games had anything new. Bioshock was just a streamlined mainstreamized version of system shock even the stories had similar elements.

The Outer Worlds - Official Launch Trailer

textures look a bit underwhelming but great use of color...overall I'm liking the atmosphere and I think gameplay will be excellent

Fuck me why can't they make unassed facial animations.

It costs as much money to implement that as some games entire budgets. Since they aren't a satelite studio of ubisoft or activision type publishers, they don't get to just add it into their game for free and must decide if it's more worthwhile then say, quality gameplay or design.

Back