The Outer Worlds (New Obsidian RPG)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by Blade-Runner, Nov 28, 2018.

1. 4saken

4saken [H]ardForum Junkie

super cheap if you do Xbox game pass thing.

Domingo and Armenius like this.
  2. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Because budgets are a thing. Private Label handles smaller budget releases, they're not going to be handing out $100m budgets to developers. Also, its not like Obsidian has ever been known for producing graphically impressive games. I feel like people are harping way too much on the graphics and face animations. Its not going to ruin the game if the face animations are wonky or the graphics aren't as good as a AAA title.

N4CR, Shoganai, AceGoober and 4 others like this.
  3. Frraksurred

Frraksurred 2[H]4U

So there is no point in them doing what they know or do best because it isn't "fresh"? Everything is a rehash depending how you look at it. Hell the largest selling games of the last 10 years have been rehashes of themselves (which does not equate quality). Frankly, in this case, I'll still take it amid the sea of generic, open world, games as a service, half-baked at release, mediocrity as an acheivement games that we currently get to choose from. There is more creativeity in the writing I've seen in the trailers alone so far, than in the vast majority of what the market has had to offer the last several years. Maybe I'm just prone to support actual story driven single player games, but I'm looking forward to it.

N4CR, KazeoHin, AceGoober and 6 others like this.
  4. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

All I know is I looked at the "first 20 minutes" video, skipped around and thought "yes I want to play this".

A game that's going to let me explore, shoot, and loot - with RPG elements? I'm there. Facial animations? Who cares - I am not playing to have long, deep conversations with NPCs. Those convo's are speedbumps - give me the branching choice then get out of my face.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Armenius and Andym22 like this.
  5. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

First hour and change of the game with commentary from devs.

6. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Games in the same series can be re-hashes of previous ones in the series with various improvements. But taking the exact same recipe into a new franchise is not very exciting, except for newborns who haven't played the original.

I'm not judging this game either way yet, I juts hope its not "more of the same".

Armenius and Frraksurred like this.
  7. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

The conversations with NPCs is what gives meaning to the branching story and makes the looting / painful shooting (I don't have high hopes in that regard) mechanics worth it.
    What good is a story if I don't care about the NPCs?

Armenius and Flogger23m like this.
  8. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

Starting to feel pretty excited for this title, currently in between games and am holding off on getting into a new one (though Prey has been tempting me again) so I can play this Day One-ish.

Graphics don't really bother me all that much, Obsidian games haven't ever really been knockouts in terms of beauty. And Outer Worlds has a decent aesthetic imo.

The most surprising thing about the graphics for me is how much they got an Unreal Engine game to look like a Gamebryo title.

9. odditory

Its not that I don't care about the story or NPC's, but they're kind of secondary to the action elements - for me - so I really just meant that the criticisms about facial animations aren't really deterring me from looking forward to this title. The animations in the gameplay I've seen look perfectly passable. Whether or not they haven't really "evolved" since Fallout NV I don't really care - its a valid criticism but won't stop me from playing and enjoying.

10. GOD'SlittleSERVANT

GOD'SlittleSERVANT [H]ardness Supreme

I haven't been this stoked for a game in awhile.

11. Frraksurred

Frraksurred 2[H]4U

Agreed for the most part, the only exception I'd make is when a Publisher takes an IP in a direction other than what the creator meant for it (such as the Fallout series) and the Devs have to create a new IP to continue their vision.

As far as "more of the same goes", I hear you. I have varying degrees of tolerance for this depending on IP. I don't ever want to play another Call of Duty clone again... ever. But an original Fallout 'spiritual successor' I can deal with. In fact it's been long enough since I've played anything with clever writing (Borderlands 3 failed en masse for me) that I'm actually excited for this one.

Armenius likes this.
  12. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Hm, I wonder where was that sentiment when Andromeda came out :D

Armenius and acairman like this.
  13. peppergomez

peppergomez Gawd

The combat looks depressingly bad. Notice how the enemies stand still half the time not shooting back?

Armenius likes this.
  14. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Fallout the combat was always cheesy which made it funny at times with Rads in slow motion.

15. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Check 49:30. Was really awkward to see the NPC shoot, then seemingly stop, turn around, run away while turning his back to you, get into cover, turn around and completely miss yet again. I know it is an RPG, but either they're trying to make the combat intentionally shitty in true RPG fashion or the AI is that bad. Really wish the RPG aspects would just focus on the story and choices/decisions and make the combat similar to a proper shooter. In either case, this looks fairly underwhelming.

Armenius likes this.
  16. harsaphes

harsaphes [H]ardness Supreme

Looks good to me. I love these games. Just pre-ordered.

17. Frraksurred

Frraksurred 2[H]4U

I play other games for their combat, I play these games for their writing and hilarious moments. Deus Ex is still largely considered one of the greatest games of all time, and part of that was the laughable enemy AI. Like some cheesy movies, when you get the bad just right, it becomes good. :cool:

odditory and Armenius like this.
  18. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Obsidian is owned by Microsoft now. But to be fair, this game was in development and nearly finished by the time ink was put to paper.

19. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

I just noticed this - that's fantastic. Between this and Gears 5, I might just keep paying for Gamepass active indefinitely. That's already two $60 games I'll have gotten for peanuts.

4saken and Armenius like this.
  20. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

looks very similar to the generic enemy AI from the borderland series.

21. Frraksurred

Frraksurred 2[H]4U

22. Domingo

The pre-load via the Windows Store is live. Even for Game Pass subscribers. 38GB.

23. GOD'SlittleSERVANT

These reviews legit make me so fucking happy. Friday can't come soon enough.

AceGoober and Frraksurred like this.
  24. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

So can I get this on PC via gamepass or the MS store now or is it still Epic Store exclusive for PC and you guys are talking about Xbox?

Forgive my ignorance, I haven't used the MS since some halo knockoff game I can't remember the name of lol.

AceGoober and GOD'SlittleSERVANT like this.
  25. GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Yes, you can get this on PC via gamepass on the MS store.

AceGoober, Armenius and Kardonxt like this.
  26. Shoganai

Shoganai Limp Gawd

Yeah ... I’m excited, personally. Looks fun.

27. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

Well Damn, I'm not sure how I'm going to make time for this and grind Destiny 2. The steam 2020 date was actually doing me a favor lol. Games pass trial for $1 looks too good to pass up tho.

28. Domingo

The Gamepass trial is a straight-up steal. Even if you keep it active there are tons of games that you have access to on both the Xbox and PC.

29. Armenius

Well, shit, it's getting an 86% on OpenCritic right now. That puts it in the 94th percentile of games on their database.

https://opencritic.com/game/7413/the-outer-worlds

Still, going to wait for actual gamers to get their hands on it first.

IdiotInCharge and Frraksurred like this.
  30. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I have Game Pass until January, so I'll give this a go. Looks decent, and the reviews seem to be mostly positive.

31. odditory

Yep. Xbox Game Pass is Steam competition done right - it actually creates a value-add for gamers, rather than just trying to get games deleted from Steam and calling that "competition".

Looking forward to playing this - Noon PST on Thursday? Obsidian is one of the good guy developers.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    AceGoober, SeymourGore, Q-BZ and 4 others like this.
  32. Newbie_52

Newbie_52 [H]Lite

With gamepass you only get to play it with active subscription right, you dont get to keep it afterwards?

I cash in bing points so only paid like 10$ for it but curious

33. GOD'SlittleSERVANT

You can only play it when your subscription is active, unless then you buy the full price game for $60.

AceGoober and Armenius like this.
  34. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

Reviews looking good, I am getting excited.

35. delita

delita [H]ard|Gawd

Assuming there's no discount for a Steam pre-purchase copy? GMG is Epic. Weak.

Oh wait, forgot - no Steam until 2020. Fun times.

What's worse, MS Store or Epic Store? Which one are you guys buying?

36. Master_Pain

Master_Pain [H]ardness Supreme

Steam.

Frraksurred likes this.
  37. Newbie_52

Newbie_52 [H]Lite

I'd buy from Ms store before epic, and I did.

I'm guessing any future obsidian games would be on all stores now that ms owns them.

38. Armenius

Epic has no e-mail confirmation when you create an account and no 2FA last time I checked. The blase attitude exhibited toward security by Epic is reason enough to avoid them, in my opinion.

odditory and delita like this.
  39. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Best option is to just do a month of the xbox game pass PC thing and just play it for a month.

If the game sucks you only spent like $5. If you like the game you can just buy it at a discount and keep it, or just continue subscribing.

Newbie_52, odditory and delita like this.