The Outer Worlds Dev Reveals The Content It Cut From The Game And Explains Why

erek

[H]F Junkie
Looking forward to DLC soon! Great game!

"The Outer Worlds is set to expand with new story DLC in 2020, while the base game is growing, too, with a launch for Nintendo Switch scheduled for June following a COVID-19-related delay.

The Outer Worlds was published by GTA company Take-Two's indie label, Private Division. Going forward, the franchise will be published by Microsoft, which acquired Obsidian in 2018. Microsoft believes The Outer Worlds could become a new franchise, and it's exciting to think about what the team could do with the resources and backing of a giant like Microsoft."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-outer-worlds-dev-reveals-the-content-it-cut-fr/1100-6476043/

I personally didn't like Outer Worlds. It's nice to see Fallout 3 and New Vegas mechanics again but Outer Worlds was boring. The guns were recycled to the point where you see the same 3D model but with a new name on it, very often. None of the characters were interesting what so ever. Most women looked like lesbians, and I had to question myself if I was looking at a girl or a guy. While a silent hero works in some guys, but after playing Fallout 4 I like it better when my character talks now.

The Outer Worlds crashes my computer, like literally resets it completely. I barely managed to get to a point I could save after skipping the cut scenes. I think it was one of the two games I got for free with my 3800X. I'd give it a chance if it was more stable than Charles Manson.

I liked the Outer Worlds. The story was engaging, the gameplay was straightforward, gunplay was good, RPG elements were maybe a bit simple but that's fine. A couple of the characters were memorable. Really liked the art! I'll buy the DLCs, perhaps even at full price.

I finished it; enjoyed it thoroughly. My biggest gripe was the god awful aliasing. But that's an unreal engine thing I guess. I might hold off on DLC until I get a 3000 series card and can play the game smoothly at 4k.

The Outer Worlds is a game what you'd call the result of a decent day at work. It did get many things right, but did nothing outstanding.
It didn't feel fresh, the story was mediocre at best, the characters even worse.
I liked it overall, but not enough to get excited about DLC content or sequels.

Have to say all things considered I enjoyed even Mass Effect Andromeda more than the Outer Worlds. ME:A II would peek my interest more.

Have to say all things considered I enjoyed even Mass Effect Andromeda more than the Outer Worlds. ME:A II would peek my interest more.

You and me both. I really want to see a return to Mass Effect no matter what it is... short of a pachinko machine. #FUCKKONAMI

Reactions: M76
like this
I enjoyed the game. I feel their description of the end jumping up suddenly is pretty spot-on. Mainly because there are several planets and satellites that you can never go to. I assumed there was more...but they're just placeholders. I also agree that several of your companions lack a backstory. Most of them join up with you out of the blue with minimal motivating reasons.
Hopefully the DLC covers at least some of those bases. It's short enough where I wouldn't mind playing through it again.
For the people that liked it - give the new Prey a shot. They aren't the same, but I think fans of either would enjoy the other game.

On the topic of Prey, that game is glorious. I can only hope for a sequel with that one as well. I'd even take a prequel if it let me see more of the world & Typhons.

I'm hoping that OW's DLC will have some mystery & intrigue like Prey.

For me, Prey was a masterpiece and Outerworlds was "pretty good"

I'm not quite ready to call Prey a masterpiece, but I do feel it was really really good and a better game than the Outer Worlds. At least most of the time.

Did you try adding antialiasing from the Nvidia Control Panel or does that not help with Unreal games?

Nothing seemed to work via the control panel. It did help a bit to use the Sharpen filter through GeForce experience overlay. I don't mind a bit of aliasing at 1440, but in this game the "shimmering" effect was just downright distracting to me.

The Outer Worlds is a game what you'd call the result of a decent day at work. It did get many things right, but did nothing outstanding.
It didn't feel fresh, the story was mediocre at best, the characters even worse.
I liked it overall, but not enough to get excited about DLC content or sequels.

Agreed mostly here. I think the highs of ME:A were notably better than TOW, but it also had more instances where the game got so boring. I'd probably say ME:A was better overall for me. TOW was ironically, a lot less buggy and ran far better (I know ME:A is better in current versions).

But I am looking forward to TOW DLC and sequels because I found the game fun enough. I assume the sequel will be of higher budget.

I liked the Outer Worlds. The story was engaging, the gameplay was straightforward, gunplay was good, RPG elements were maybe a bit simple but that's fine. A couple of the characters were memorable. Really liked the art! I'll buy the DLCs, perhaps even at full price.
The gameplay was broken, in my opinion. When I started to put talents into my character I went straight for lock picking and hacking and nothing into guns. To my surprise I didn't have any trouble progressing into the game. There was a part of the game where you pay money to be flown to a certain area to avoid a difficulty spike, I was like screw that I'm using a mouse and keyboard. It was a joke that my guns were still super effective despite no points put into guns. The last boss of the game was totally avoided because I hacked and unlocked some terminal and just shut down the boss. Pretty clear whoever setup the talent system in this game had gamepads in mind.

Again, all the women in the game looked like this. I get that they're being progressive on gender identity issues but... you do know you're commiting mass genoide as a character right? You're not exactly standing on a high moral ground. Nothing wrong with having big fat anime tiddies in a game.
45532785844_d6a74cd28e_b.jpg

best game of 2019!!! Looking forward to DLC
Nope, that would be Sekiro. 2019 wasn't a good year for video games, personally.

Back