The Original Half Life

SocketA

Limp Gawd
Hey All, I just went out and purchased the original Half Life. I thought I should play it with the second on the horizon. I wasn't gaming back then. Man, I know the game was released a while back, but its almost unplayable! Graphics sure have come along way. I remember games looking better than this way back then. I am very disapointed. :(

That game looked surprisingly good for its time. I thought it had the best looking software mode out there next to FF7.

Its an awesome game. Try not to let graphics cloud your judgement. I only played it a couple of years after it had been release...but it is still the best gaming experience I have had to date. I then got all the expansions like OpFor and CS and Blueshift etc. All in all one the best set of games/mods out there. Even to this day. CS is still huge and CS:S looks like it is going to take the reigns on that too.

I think its funny when people always say that graphics from a new game arn't that impressive... then you look back and your like wow, nvm. :) I think so many people are just getting used to graphics looking really nice, that anything considered ground breaking is hardly noticed. HL is an awsome game. Along with Opposing Forces. My only question is ... why would you go out and buy it, when you could just purchase the Silver Package of HL2 and get HL1 along with many other games for free? :p

I wish the HL:Source thats coming out had more than just some shader replacements. Its my understanding that it won't look much different. Why bother re-releasing it then? :confused: Bah...

It is a great game though.

Elias said:
I wish the HL:Source thats coming out had more than just some shader replacements. Its my understanding that it won't look much different. Why bother re-releasing it then? :confused: Bah...

It is a great game though.

I read somewhere there will be mod team working on it A.S.A.P. to make it look comparable to CS:S
:eek:

In PCGamer they took a quote from one of the guys from Valve.

"Such a remake is not only extremely possible -- It's inevitable"

Sounds like Valve just wants some mod teams to have fun ;) .

I wish the HL:Source thats coming out had more than just some shader replacements. Its my understanding that it won't look much different. Why bother re-releasing it then? Bah...

Because HL:source was basically a test to see how easy it would be to convert HL1 projects to the new engine. thats why its nothing more than new physics and a few small additions. its not like they said hey lets rehash an old game barely add anything new too it and charge people for it. though some like to think otherwise. just accept it for what it is, and like labrador said, there will most likely be many mod teams making there own "great" rehash of hl.

I gotta admit, although I generally like to hate on HL and anything related to it (only because I HATE stupid l33tz0rz CSers) HL is a great game.

Counter-Strike today (coming from 4 a yr vet.) is trash.

Baker said:
I think its funny when people always say that graphics from a new game arn't that impressive... then you look back and your like wow, nvm. :) I think so many people are just getting used to graphics looking really nice, that anything considered ground breaking is hardly noticed. HL is an awsome game. Along with Opposing Forces. My only question is ... why would you go out and buy it, when you could just purchase the Silver Package of HL2 and get HL1 along with many other games for free? :p
You aren't getting them for free.

You are paying $60 for the Silver package of HL2 and are getting included with it the back catalog of Valve games.

I too still need to pickup the original HL1.

SocketA said:
Hey All, I just went out and purchased the original Half Life. I thought I should play it with the second on the horizon. I wasn't gaming back then. Man, I know the game was released a while back, but its almost unplayable! Graphics sure have come along way. I remember games looking better than this way back then. I am very disapointed. :(
this is the problem nowadays. the focus is completely on graphics and not a good storyline or gameplay. for example doom 3 and far cry. I love both games but they just don't compare to others great games like the final fantasy and zelda series. I'm hoping that HL2 will break the norm for sucky PC games.

SocketA said:

Make sure you arent leaving it in software mode BTW. I'm sure your not, but you do have to choose manually Open GL or Direct3d for hardware acceleration. After that load it up in 16x12 and I dont think the textures are that bad. Also if you play it through steam and just use your CD key, I think it has the higher res textures, so you might want to try that.

pbguy434 said:
In PCGamer they took a quote from one of the guys from Valve.

"Such a remake is not only extremely possible -- It's inevitable"

Sounds like Valve just wants some mod teams to have fun ;) .

Yeah, I read about this. I'm seriously looking forward to it. Hopefully they'll make the crabs look a bit more vicious... :)

I bought it last year. The graphics are pretty outdated, but if you give it a chance, it will suck you in and not let go untill you beat the damn thing.

Has anyone ever playe dthe mod for HL called They Hunger?

It's a good mod scary as hell too.

Back