The Original Diablo Is Being Recreated In Diablo 3

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Blizzard is releasing a Reaper of Souls update called “The Darkening of Tristram,” which is going to return players to 1996’s original Diablo. It would be neat if they go as far as remaster the entire original soundtrack.

Diablo will arrive in an upcoming content update for Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls called The Darkening of Tristram that will "send you back into the depths of the Cathedral," said Frank Pearce, Blizzard's chief development officer. Darkening of Tristram will offer a dungeon 16 levels deep in which you will face off against the four main bosses from Diablo. Blizzard is putting an appropriately old-school presentation on Diablo in Diablo 3. The game will come with visual filters to make it look pixelated and grainy — "we call it 'glorious retrovision,'" said Pearce. In addition, the character movement will be locked to eight directions, just like in the original Diablo.

I might have to actually buy D3 now.. But, depending on 'glorious retrovision' I could always just load up Diablo 1 instead and save some bucks. :)

And Townkill.exe

God I loved it so. Watching people collapse in grief again and again, it just does something to the human heart.

Never used the .exe but I remember hiding at the spot above Griswads Forge where you couldn't be seen and TKing people as they walked by. Great times! :p

Reactions: DPI
like this
So will it still look like a saturdaty morning cartoon?

The original Diablo was dark, gritty and metal. The art style was more Gothic than WoW colourful and happy. Characters weren't cartoony TF2 versions of D&D archetypes: they were realistically proportioned, badass fighters.

No need to recreate Diablo in Cartoon Definition. That would be like rebooting James Bond "From Russia With Love" as a Pixar movie.

The original Diablo was dark, gritty and metal. The art style was more Gothic than WoW colourful and happy. Characters weren't cartoony TF2 versions of D&D archetypes: they were realistically proportioned, badass fighters.

No need to recreate Diablo in Cartoon Definition. That would be like rebooting James Bond "From Russia With Love" as a Pixar movie.

Blizzard said that they will be applying "Special Filters" to make the game look as close to the original as possible, even pixilating it to give it the retro look.

There is a mod for diablo 3 called dark 3, It really does help change the basic filters for the game and make it feel better. All it does is change the bloom and filters to be darker and grittier, maybe blizzard caught on to it for this new release?

There is a mod for diablo 3 called dark d3

Fixed. Yes. I believe the website hosting it was closed down. You can still find it with some searching.

Disclaimer Alert:
Dark D3 could ban your account. Its not likely but Blizzard's anti cheat software "Warden" could Ban it. You have been Warned.

Ive used it for years now & nothing has happened yet.

The update is only a month away and it will only be active through January. So if you want to give it a go do not wait long!

Typical Blizzard to rehash content.

I hate to break it to you but every game out is a rehash of other games. There aren't too many original concepts anymore that doesn't include rehashes from one game or another.

Fixed. Yes. I believe the website hosting it was closed down. You can still find it with some searching.

Disclaimer Alert:
Dark D3 could ban your account. Its not likely but Blizzard's anti cheat software "Warden" could Ban it. You have been Warned.

Ive used it for years now & nothing has happened yet.
Good catch.

This sounds pretty awesome. My coworker and I have been saying they should completely remake WOW with updated DX12 graphics and restart the story from day zero.

actually if you watched blizcon this year, it was only supposed to be the music but they did that before so this time they added levels. The first diablo was really fun but a small game by todays standards. You ran into the combat area around the town killed stuff then ran into the catheral and worked your way down levels. But as to getting the old game working good luck it ran on direct x 3. I am not sure more hardware could even run that, you would have to emulate the hardware on a virtual os in software, slightly before riva hardware era.

Back