The Order: Gameplay reveal yesterday

It looks to have a good balance though. QTEs in games should just be a cutscene though, why even bother with player participation?

Agreed. It’s way too early to judge from that little snippet. This video doesn’t even go into the half animal and half man things which is the center of the story from what I’ve read.

I did notice it’s not a typical QTE, at least when he had that guy pinned down it appears he could still look around and had more than one action he could take. I’m curious how that will work. Maybe change the outcome of the story in some cases?

I'm not expecting this game to be he next Uncharted or TLoU. It's their first new IP so they have a lot to prove, I'd say it'll do as well as the Resistance games which is not bad but not great.

I'm expecting it to have QTEs like God of War has which is perfect. I think the game looks phenomenal and carries some originality with the plot and atmosphere. Sadly the video looks like its running under 30 FPS at times; but considering this game still has 9+ months before release I can see them easily ironing out performance issues. Apparently Ready at Dawn is still playing with the resolution and will either be 1920x800 (black bars) with 4xAA or 1920x1080 (no black bars) with no AA which apparently is less stressful on the PS4. They're trying to decide if the wider aspect ratio is key to the game or not.

PS4 is definitely the first next-gen console i'm buying.

Reading this thread and the Youtube video comments is nauseating. Where the hell are all these assumptions coming from about QTEs and shitty gameplay? Sounds like a bunch of people talking out their asses. One person on Youtube even commented that they lost interest as soon as they said "exclusive." Wtf?

Last edited:
Looks awesome, only concern is that the framerate looked god-awful in those videos. Like, practically unplayable.

Finally, some actual gameplay videos. Now I can find out WTF this game is all about.
I'm expecting it to have QTEs like God of War has which is perfect. I think the game looks phenomenal and carries some originality with the plot and atmosphere. Sadly the video looks like its running under 30 FPS at times; but considering this game still has 9+ months before release I can see them easily ironing out performance issues. Apparently Ready at Dawn is still playing with the resolution and will either be 1920x800 (black bars) with 4xAA or 1920x1080 (no black bars) with no AA which apparently is less stressful on the PS4. They're trying to decide if the wider aspect ratio is key to the game or not.
We don't even have a release date yet, so hopefully they're able to smooth out the framerate. I'd rather have a smoother/higher framerate at a lower resolution than a choppier/lower framerate at a higher resolution. I also hope they decide to go fullscreen because while I can stand black bars in movies, I cannot stand them in video games. This is the reason for me that, although Evil Within looks awesome, I don't think I'll buy it if the final release doesn't at least have the option to play fullscreen.

although Evil Within looks awesome, I don't think I'll buy it if the final release doesn't at least have the option to play fullscreen.

That's a pretty stupid reason not to buy a game EVER. Are you seriously saying that if the greatest game ever released, you wouldn't buy it because they letterboxed the screen to make it more movie-like?

To each his own, but that comment makes absolutely no sense I can understand people playing games because of great gameplay. I can kind of understand people buying/playing games just for the graphics. To refuse a game because it is letterboxed... that's new and incredibly asinine.

I've been tracking 1080p with 2x or FXAA and 800p with black bars and 4x AA. It's not going to be straight 1080p with no AA.

That's a pretty stupid reason not to buy a game EVER. Are you seriously saying that if the greatest game ever released, you wouldn't buy it because they letterboxed the screen to make it more movie-like?

To each his own, but that comment makes absolutely no sense I can understand people playing games because of great gameplay. I can kind of understand people buying/playing games just for the graphics. To refuse a game because it is letterboxed... that's new and incredibly asinine.
My problem with the letterboxing in gaming is that so far the reasoning has not been to give the game a wider aspect ratio, but to limit what the player sees. Continuing with Evil WIthin, last year at E3 the reasoning for the letterboxing from the developer was so that the player can't see the ground because not being able to see the ground somehow makes the game more tense and horrifying. Now that is an asinine reason if I ever heard one.

Continuing with 1886, it looks as though they have the double whammy of cutting the screen short and using a terribly narrow FOV. These are both cardinal sins when dealing with the application of widescreen resolutions and is something that I cannot get on board with. This goes back to my original point of lower resolution/smooth framerate. If they can't get it done at 1920x1080, then lower the resolution to another standard 16:9 one and don't cut it short. 1600x900 could work in their favor because there are fewer pixels than 1920x800, and last time I checked Battlefield 4 still looks great at this resolution on PS4.

Why the fuck is this game in scope ratio? When will developers realize that running a game in 2:35 doesn't magically make it more cinematic?

I may have to pass on this game; I have a plasma and don't want uneven wear on my panel.

Why the fuck is this game in scope ratio? When will developers realize that running a game in 2:35 doesn't magically make it more cinematic?

I may have to pass on this game; I have a plasma and don't want uneven wear on my panel.

They said they were using the scope ratio so you could see more horizontally in the frame, it is a little odd but there's some websites out there with a comparison with and with out the bars and it does hide quite a lot without the bars because the game was designed with the aspect ratio in mind.

And you wont have any uneven wear if you've had your Plazma more than 6 months and it's really no different than watching a Bluray, or any other movie thats set at a different aspect ratio.:cool:

I hope you don't watch movies cause you're in for a surprise on aspect ratios. Your reasoning is really childish.

As for the game. Below 30 FPS dips which can be seen from the video are a killer for me. Unsmooth game = fail game. Also the gameplay looks very generic. Need to see more.

My problem with the letterboxing in gaming is that so far the reasoning has not been to give the game a wider aspect ratio, but to limit what the player sees.

Firstly, no developer has ever made a game to purposefully limit what a player sees. Secondly, look at the gameplay footage. The gameplay looks almost as good, if not as good as the cutscene footage and the limited HUD makes the entire game appear more cinematic. So, the obvious answer for the letter-boxing is to make the entire game appear more cinematic and so that the cut scenes and gameplay blend seamlessly.

I mean, there are games which have used the in-game engine for the cinematics and sometimes the letterboxes slide into the frame as soon as the cinematic part is reached to differentiate a cut-scene from actual gameplay. Here, if it's true that the whole thing is letterboxed (which there is yet any reason to think the entire game is) then they merely wanted to blend cinematics with gameplay kind of like Metal Gear Solid did back in '98.

At this point, no reason to suspect the whole game is letter-boxed. I am hoping there is a setting somewhere where you can change it. Personally, i am more excited at the fact that this is a new and original IP that hopefully they can flesh out as time goes on. We need to be more excited about the fact that this is a new and interesting game world and hopefully will spring into something cool and be a signature PS4 franchise. If not, that's fine but it deserves the benefit of the doubt especially when there is so much regurgitated crap coming from game developers that follow such similar gameplay formulas. I understand we haven't seen much from this other than running, covering, and shooting but it still deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Its not another military shooter, is SP focused, is new IP, and looks gorgeous, that's enough I think to say this game deserves credit.

It's going to be an amazing 4 hour experience.

Anyone who works more than 40 hours a week, has any time consuming hobbies and an active social life is very ok with that.

That throat slash takedown looked naaaasty. When I pick up a PS4 someday this will be a definite rental/budget purchase.

Anyone who works more than 40 hours a week, has any time consuming hobbies and an active social life is very ok with that.
I'm not sure your point is relevant. As long as your having fun playing a game, does it matter if it's 4 hours or 40? Being busy doesn't change that unless you want to rush to the end.

I'm not sure your point is relevant. As long as your having fun playing a game, does it matter if it's 4 hours or 40? Being busy doesn't change that unless you want to rush to the end.

A 4 hour experience shouldnt cost me $60

A 4 hour experience shouldnt cost me $60

Then don't pay 60 bucks for it. :p I won't. Doesn't make it look any less like a killer game.

I don't like playing long games in bite sized pieces. 40-60 hours spread over 5-6 weeks, makes me forget some more nuanced plot points or even game mechanics.

Not saying there's anything wrong with sprawling epics (Ni-No is next on the log), but bite sized AAA games are awesome in their own right.

The game looks really good and I'll end up getting it eventually

Colors look bland....another game where you punch George Washington in the Nutzs?

Looks like dishonored bioshock 3 and thief..

Back