The Optimus Keyboard has a date!!

Mysterae said:
Say your mom or g/f or younger sibling uses your computer, you could set up the keyboard to really fuck with there heads when they login to windoze with their own profile! Swap keys around, animate them so they change to different letters - or when they type with two fingers, they will be chasing the letter z around :p !
That's not worth $100 more

Volucris said:
You're not supposed to look at the keyboard. This is for newbs and learning typers.:p

By that logic, only learning typers should even have letters on their keyboards at all, the rest of us should be able to use something like Das Keyboard. You miss the point, it's not for helping you type better, but for easy reference to all the different key shortcuts and macros used by a wide variety of programs. I work with audio, video, and a few 3D apps, and use different programs depending upon what exactly I want to create, what purpose I'm editing, and what medium is its destination. Oh, and I do play games, too. :) I certainly know how to type, I typed this entire message without glancing at the keyboard; it'd save me a lot of time to see all the shortcuts and macros I have set in the different programs... and time = money. I don't know if it's worth $300 though! :p

RadCliffeX said:
I have my moments when my keyboards take a beating.....
I always have my cheapo Dell keyboard for those moments. That's why I'm trying to find myself a new table that can withstand a tornado.

DanK said:
By that logic, only learning typers should even have letters on their keyboards at all, the rest of us should be able to use something like Das Keyboard. You miss the point, it's not for helping you type better, but for easy reference to all the different key shortcuts and macros used by a wide variety of programs. I work with audio, video, and a few 3D apps, and use different programs depending upon what exactly I want to create, what purpose I'm editing, and what medium is its destination. Oh, and I do play games, too. :) I certainly know how to type, I typed this entire message without glancing at the keyboard; it'd save me a lot of time to see all the shortcuts and macros I have set in the different programs... and time = money. I don't know if it's worth $300 though! :p
I think for $300 you could buy some plain-jane keyboards and paint on labels for the programs. Because if you're going to be on a long editing run, just switch keyboards. :p

edit* and post it in the Ghetto mods thread!

It looks nice... but the keys... I dont know... it looks like my fingers would slip right off... look likes there made out of cheap plastic...

I can't imagine it being over $200.

If its a reasonable price, and its doesn't use a crap load of energy I will sure get it. Theres no way I would get it for more than $150. For many reasons.. its a keyboard, it has huge 'pixel' sizes, as you can see in some of the pictures, it probobly only makes up a 13 inch LCD screen. Its really hard to tell, but my guess.

Theres one thing I am 'worried' about.. from all the pictures, it doesn't look like the keys actually go down. It just looks like each key is a touchpad. If it is, theres no way I'm buying it. My fingers need to push something. I would feel like I'm not typing.

Groffy77 said:
Theres one thing I am 'worried' about.. from all the pictures, it doesn't look like the keys actually go down. It just looks like each key is a touchpad. If it is, theres no way I'm buying it. My fingers need to push something. I would feel like I'm not typing.

I do not think they would have touchpads, because that would require modification to how everyone types. Most people were tought to have there fingers rest on the home keys as a point of reference (by home keys I mean asdf for the left and jkl; for the right) so it would probably be almost unusable for most people because as there fingers return to the home keys, they would have random letters in their typing.

u dont have to worry about dead pixels because it uses LED"s or OLED"s ithink they are :)

i am sure there will be some type of policy but i also dont think LED"s are as "fragile" ? as pixels on an LCD...

MrGuvernment said:
u dont have to worry about dead pixels because it uses LED"s or OLED"s ithink they are :)

OLEDs have a shorter lifespan than LCDs, I have already seen a couple go bad on cell phones less than a year old.

I would buy one (i dont care about the price) straight away if I had the money.

wish they make it in black (the actual case)

working in a GM dealership... ive seen engines last less than 4,000 miles... crap happens man.

it really depends on the warrenty included. im interested to see how the people with the disposable income to get this like it. and how it hold up. im sceptible, but im willing to give it a chance :-D

I hope its affordable. It looks nice but my plain keyboard is comfortable. It better 'feel' right before I drop any dough. Would like to see what the competition will come up with. Can you imagine having the function keys light up with your favorite websites when you launch your web browser? ex.[H]...sweet!

Sounds like it will have Linux support. Very nice. Open source will always get my support. I see a web site with the Linux penguin surfing on this keyboard. He's wearing some bahama shorts while he rides the crest of a giant wave. Or is he in the barrel?

The bad thing could be script kiddies writting a virus for your keyboard. Maybe one that can put certain undesireable images on the keys. Or can you imagine them rearanging the letters to form "bad" words? Instead of ASDF maybe F*CK. That with a DELTREE command = PWNED! OK I know it can't be that simple. Sheesh, kids theese days. And with spyware you could get royally annoyed. Sigh.

Curious to see how this will play out. I think i'll take the stairs for now.

Volucris said:
I think for $300 you could buy some plain-jane keyboards and paint on labels for the programs. Because if you're going to be on a long editing run, just switch keyboards. :p

edit* and post it in the Ghetto mods thread!

Haha, will do. :)

Again this pointless product coverage has been done so many times... *looks for beating dead horse* emote....

I love how the site has two release dates (and if you have been around the internet a while, there have been 3 release dates and possibly more). One release date was for 2004 (taken off when they changed it to July 14, 2005) and now the supposed release date is February of 2006? Just not going to hold my breath this time again. If it comes out great, but dont bet the farm anytime soon...

Thread should be called "The Optimus Keyboard has a date.... again.... wait, now again... and oh yeah, there is yet another date.... none of which seem to point to an actual release yet, but we are waiting in hope that someone will produce the conceived product for this design studio...". :)

That...is...SEXY! It looks like mini-lcd technology, so it shouldnt be all too expensive.

BlackBrain said:
Can you imagine having the function keys light up with your favorite websites when you launch your web browser? ex.[H]...sweet!

You know those little pictures in firefox on the tabs when you load a page? Those could show up on the keys, because theyre the same 64x64 pixel pictures that program icons are.

Hmm . . . Why do I have the feeling this Optimus Keyboard will be VERY closely related to the Razer Tarantula. It comes in 2 versions, one of which is an OLED version, MSRP of $300.00 . . . We'll have to wait and see . . .

razerblueprints.net said:
The advanced version will be released later this year, including the large colour OLED and will cost about 300$. During the WCG in November, Razer also announced that they will release a software developement kit for the Tarantula, so that gamers can program their own software for the keyboard.

Linkage

It's a great idea, but I'm not sure I'd have much of a use for it.

I use my Nostromo N52 for gaming, and if a key is important, it's bound there. If it's bound there, I don't forget it. Simple as that.

Not that I don't think this would own, especially for stuff like Photoshop etc., but again I'd probably memorize everything.

I'd be the guy who'd end up swapping key savers. One day I play with pure black keys, maybe pure white the next, then (as soon as someone smart codes it) the matrix display with greeen numbers cascading down my keyboard. Now THAT would be cool, and would freak out anyone as you sat there playing
tongue.gif

The ability to display what you want alone would almost be worth it. You could put messages on it. Maybe when you go AFK have a key saver that puts up the words "hands off" or something more direct "f*** off" and blacks out the rest of the keys
biggrin.gif

If the price isn't that bad, I'd say I'd but it if you can do all the stuff I mentioned above. But animating something across multiple keys would be extremely difficult (though it could be done with each key being seperate, it'd take more work)

I love the more direct *f*** off* version you suggested!! :D , Yea, I have a matrix screensaver that id love to see on my keyboard if possible :D

I call $199, and lovin' it. Creamin' it if it's less.

Now if it was metal with clunky-clackety keys, it'd be perfect. ;)

Looks pretty damn sweet. If it actually comes out I'll probably mention this keyboard to one of my professors who has to manage the avid computers. Right now the keyboards for the avid system are a basic dell keyboard with stickers on them lol.

If the keyboard is actually released and priced properly I can see myself buying one just to make avid a little quicker for me(probably help w/ acid too, the list grows larger). Definately something I'm going to keep my eyes on :).

I want one eventually as long its Sub-400. 200 dollars and has a lot of support following. I am game.

Really, if you bought this keyboard, when would you replace it? I guess when it breaks... so warranty would be important.

And for the virus part, I highly doubt these will become mainstream enough (yet) that people will start writing viruses for it.

DudeItsMe said:
Really, if you bought this keyboard, when would you replace it? I guess when it breaks... so warranty would be important.

And for the virus part, I highly doubt these will become mainstream enough (yet) that people will start writing viruses for it.

That would be funny.

All of a sudden your keyboard taunts you, "All your base are belong to us" scrolls across your keyboard, Hahah!

I would never purchase this... why? I dont look at my keyboard when Im playing games or working in photoshop, I look at the monitor. If you are ignorant to the point that your keys need to be labeled because you dont know how to work something... then why even try? Ide rather have to learn hotkeys and have a keyboard that Im not giong to cry over when I drop a grain of salt in between the keys. I personally hate "media" keys on keyboards anyway, the only ones Ive ever used are the play/pause for media player and the mute button. Also, Im sure each program would need a "profile" of some sort. G-o-a-t-s-e profile? Yes indeed. Count me in to goat my friends keyboard.

its awesome to say you have, but nothing to be first in line for. That would be even funnier if it required an external psu so it doesnt put a massive strain on your usb bus.

That thing is very neat. But realistically, a $300 keyboard? Hell no.

qbackin, that is very to the point and ...heh...funny..hehe..hahahah. I like the way people are posting a speculative price and then some affirmative desire to purchase it at that price. ie. Maybe $500...I'LL TAKE IT !!! God I hope they are not reading these posts. They would be inclined to bump the price even higher. "Well CEO I think these people are willing to pay more. One guy even mentioned selling his wife."

When this keyboard was first highlighted a couple of months ago I could have swore I read somewhere that the designers thought they were going to have back off the concept a little bit because it would have been cost prohibative for mass production. Their "production model" didn't look nearly as cool as this. But I can't find where I read that...

Did anybody else see that or heard anything to that effect?

Or have I been hitting the crack pipe too much lately? :p

alkoholik said:
anybody know if its wireless??

my guess: $179.99 (w/wires)
$199.99 (wireless)

A wireless keyboard with every key being a display? Hello 15 minute run time. Keep dreaming

Ok, I have not read the entire thread so I don't know if this issue has been brought up but even though this keyboard will look great, I guarantee it won't be much fun to type with. The lcd's will add so much weight to the keys everyones hands will be hurting after a week of using the thing. The only thing it will be worth is the l33t factor for showing off to people, other than that I can't see it being very comfortable to type with over a long period of time

I really hope it's not wireless. Wireless keyboards are retarded. They suck up battery life, there's no problem of cord drag as with mice, and nearly all people do not move their keyboard around enough to warrant wireless. Unless there's a recharging dock like the Logitech mice that can be used while you use the keyboard then going wireless would be a misfeature and in any case would add unnecessary cost.

kraggy said:
If its $300 there is no way I'm buying it. Maybe at $150.

This also my first time seeing this and I must say its an awesome idea.

Is it wireless?

$150 is a pipe dream. Logitech already sells $200 mouse/keyboard combos and they're really not that great (I own a diNovo myself). This looks like an actual quality product.

Techx said:
Ok, I have not read the entire thread so I don't know if this issue has been brought up but even though this keyboard will look great, I guarantee it won't be much fun to type with. The lcd's will add so much weight to the keys everyones hands will be hurting after a week of using the thing. The only thing it will be worth is the l33t factor for showing off to people, other than that I can't see it being very comfortable to type with over a long period of time

If it's done well, key resistance shouldn't be a problem, but precision crafting like that would cost even more money, and I mean a lot. There are some precision keyboards out there that easily break the $300 barrier (I was shopping around for some professional Dvorak keyboards a long time back and they were all around $300-450) and they do not have many bells and whistles aside from being nice to push buttons.

WildWilly said:
A wireless keyboard with every key being a display? Hello 15 minute run time. Keep dreaming
Explain first why it's impractical to operate the keyboard on a wireless signal.

I'll buy it...

But.

Only after they release it, the initial price and demand for them drops, the 2nd revisions of the keyboard comes out fixing the bugs of the first one (you know it will happen just as much as I know =D), and uuuh, my microsoft keyboard dies, considering it can still type every key I push.

Back