The Old X58 Motherboard "RAM Not Showing" Problem - Also on an older thread.

Here is a thought . I cannot get more than 4 GB working , changed the bios from F4 , to F5 , to F6 ( Gigabyte GaX58a ud3r ) and it registers all 4 modules and 8GB , BUT does not get past the starting windows screen . IF , as most think , it is a slot / socket problem then why should the bios change make a difference ? Revert back to F4 / F5 and back to 4 GB . There is some material here for someone smarter than me to work with .

Here is a thought . I cannot get more than 4 GB working , changed the bios from F4 , to F5 , to F6 ( Gigabyte GaX58a ud3r ) and it registers all 4 modules and 8GB , BUT does not get past the starting windows screen . IF , as most think , it is a slot / socket problem then why should the bios change make a difference ? Revert back to F4 / F5 and back to 4 GB . There is some material here for someone smarter than me to work with .
Since this post, I have gotten rid of my Rev 2 X58. It bricked on me trying to get the ram figured out. I used the old rig with the X58 rev 1 board--that Gigabyte said they repaired, which had the exact same problem--8GB ram for a couple months until I could build y new rig. Anyway, someone said to replace my RAM because what I had he thought a lot of people had and had problems with it. It was OCZ Gold, the first of that type out. We all bought it because it was virtually the only thing you could get at the time and it was relatively cheap. He said it was known to have problems.

Initially, I wanted to put in Xenon chip that you can get for around 25 bucks in the X58 board, and then update the video card and be done with it for a couple more years. However, I was not ok with buying new RAM for it. I didn't want to spend about the same money for DDR3 RAM that I'll never use again. I'm glad I didn't now becasue 16GB of RAM is about the minimum you nwat, which should be fine for the next couple of years, so that 12GB was going to be tough--depending on what I played.

Anyway, if you have OCZ RAM, you may want to try a different brand.

Other than that, good luck.

Since this post, I have gotten rid of my Rev 2 X58. It bricked on me trying to get the ram figured out. I used the old rig with the X58 rev 1 board--that Gigabyte said they repaired, which had the exact same problem--8GB ram for a couple months until I could build y new rig. Anyway, someone said to replace my RAM because what I had he thought a lot of people had and had problems with it. It was OCZ Gold, the first of that type out. We all bought it because it was virtually the only thing you could get at the time and it was relatively cheap. He said it was known to have problems.

Initially, I wanted to put in Xenon chip that you can get for around 25 bucks in the X58 board, and then update the video card and be done with it for a couple more years. However, I was not ok with buying new RAM for it. I didn't want to spend about the same money for DDR3 RAM that I'll never use again. I'm glad I didn't now becasue 16GB of RAM is about the minimum you nwat, which should be fine for the next couple of years, so that 12GB was going to be tough--depending on what I played.

Anyway, if you have OCZ RAM, you may want to try a different brand.

Other than that, good luck.
I have all Kingston Ram , 1 kit of three and 3 matched and compatible modules .

I have all Kingston Ram , 1 kit of three and 3 matched and compatible modules .
Well, that confirms my suspicion that it was not the OCZ RAM, and I'm glad I didn't go that route. I was also having old hardware issues (an ASUS Wireless PCIe card) was giving me huge lag spikes and I enver could figure it out. After researching it for literally hours, I found some remote threads about how MS knows about the problem (drivers in relation to the motherboard hardware) with those cards, and a couple similar, but isn't about to work on it becasue of the age of the product and how few were affected. Ethernet connection worked fine.

If I had not had the RAM problem, I'd probably have the Xeon chip installed, a new vid card, and never bought my new system. However, the RAM problem did it for me.

Back