The official Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine Thread

I heard they are considering dedicated servers. But don't really get your hopes up, it is a more of a "we are monitoring the situation" type scenario.

I've heard the opposite on the official forums. The forum admins are basically saying they are working on the problems but aren't looking into dedicated servers.

Personally I think the lag is absolute shit in this game. Its a fun combat system completely and utterly ruined by terrible match making, host selection and over all lag. I've played some 20 hours of the game according to steam, but I know a decent portion of that is trying to get people together for private matches or simply going in and out of games trying to find one with a reasonable level of lag (finding one with no lag at all is fucking impossible).

THQ need to fix this otherwise the MP is going to go down the shitter very quickly. They're already losing sales, if it wasn't for the piece of shit match making service I was planning on getting additional copies with my friends so we could play together, but as it is I wont be doing anything of the sort.

I've heard the opposite on the official forums. The forum admins are basically saying they are working on the problems but aren't looking into dedicated servers.

Personally I think the lag is absolute shit in this game. Its a fun combat system completely and utterly ruined by terrible match making, host selection and over all lag. I've played some 20 hours of the game according to steam, but I know a decent portion of that is trying to get people together for private matches or simply going in and out of games trying to find one with a reasonable level of lag (finding one with no lag at all is fucking impossible).

THQ need to fix this otherwise the MP is going to go down the shitter very quickly. They're already losing sales, if it wasn't for the piece of shit match making service I was planning on getting additional copies with my friends so we could play together, but as it is I wont be doing anything of the sort.

well lets be honest here. When was the last time you saw a game with perfect bug free multiplayer in the first 2 weeks after release?

TBH, i still cant stand all the bugs in TF2's multiplayer. Server list refreshing should not take 10 minutes, especially when BC2 and BF2142 can refresh them in less than 5 seconds.

well lets be honest here. When was the last time you saw a game with perfect bug free multiplayer in the first 2 weeks after release?

TBH, i still cant stand all the bugs in TF2's multiplayer. Server list refreshing should not take 10 minutes, especially when BC2 and BF2142 can refresh them in less than 5 seconds.

This isn't about bugs, this is about how P2P DOES NOT WORK.

I dont often buy games right at release, but those I have rarely have completely game breaking flaws like the lag and matchmaking issues that this has. Bugs is one thing, this is damn near unplayable for many people (and honestly the people claiming they have no issues, I suspect they're lagging and just dont realise as I've barely had a single game in 15 or so hours of playing that was completely lag free).

Time will tell if they can fix the issues. Personally I question whether they can "fix" anything while remaining P2P with 16 players in a game.

I hope they come up with an expansion that let's me play as an Ork! "For the empararr!" get's a little boring after a while.

I dont often buy games right at release, but those I have rarely have completely game breaking flaws like the lag and matchmaking issues that this has. Bugs is one thing, this is damn near unplayable for many people (and honestly the people claiming they have no issues, I suspect they're lagging and just dont realise as I've barely had a single game in 15 or so hours of playing that was completely lag free).

Time will tell if they can fix the issues. Personally I question whether they can "fix" anything while remaining P2P with 16 players in a game.

I've played to level 22 so far and have only been in one unplayable match. On average, 1 in 5 matches i've played in may have had a brief but significant lag spike during play where maybe once or twice total i've been killed as a direct result of lag.

I've played to level 22 so far and have only been in one unplayable match. On average, 1 in 5 matches i've played in may have had a brief but significant lag spike during play where maybe once or twice total i've been killed as a direct result of lag.

I have the same situation. Whats really funny is that whenever i'm in a laggy match, the host is 99% of the time from Quebec (im near toronto). Local matches go great - but i do live near a centre with a population of 5 million + people with a decently high standard speed of internet. Makes finding good matches easier i guess.

Same here. I finished the campaign and have been playing MP the past week. I really haven't run into too many lag issues or anything. For the most part, MP has run without a hitch for me.

Honestly I'm surprised you guys say that. The first day I played the game (for about 10 hours :p) I didn't notice any lag either. But now when I play games, even private matches against people in the same city as me with 5 bars of ping it "feels" like there's at least 200ms ping. Like, coming from experience in many FPS games, when I'm tracking someone with a sniper rifle (lascannon or stalker) it just "feels" like I'm in a shitty ping server, when you're running out of your spawn and you see your team mates slightly moon walking, again a sign of a few hundred ms of ping. Even in a local private match it seems like there's maybe half a dozen people with ping under 200 and everyone else is over that. There's a lot of similar complaints over on the official forums.

It makes me think that the first day when I didn't see lag was more because I hadn't gotten used to the weapons to notice the lag. I'm up to level 34 now.

I hope they come up with an expansion that let's me play as an Ork! "For the empararr!" get's a little boring after a while.

The space marines are kind of the dullest faction of the standard race. Inquisition/chaos even sisters of battle would have been much much more intresting plot wise. Marines are pretty generic "good guys" in armor that have been the focus of almost every single game! :D (They are the most popular race I think...most new players use them before any other)

Would be great to play a 128 player BF3 style game set in the universe...

Played a few unplayable matches last night. Seems like things are getting worse. Not to mention the standard P2P stuff, getting shot around corners for example.

Yeah the MP has pissed me off to the point where I'm not recommending the game to friends, which is a shame because I really wanted to try this game with some friends.

I've started getting into the single player. Started on "hard" mode, since I found hard pretty easy in the demo. I may be regretting that soon :p Up to part 3 and the very first section of part 3 took me about 5 tries to get past. Those red orks which go into the rage are a challenge, by themselves they are easy but they're almost always accompanied by rocket orks or they come in hordes, they can easily take you from full health to nothing before you realise you're in trouble. Up until now I've mostly just been using the pistol, swapping to the stalker when I'm forced into ranged combat, but now the fights are getting trickier and I'm having to start using the meltagun, bolter, vengence launcher and lascannon (when its available).

Honestly I'm surprised you guys say that. The first day I played the game (for about 10 hours :p) I didn't notice any lag either. But now when I play games, even private matches against people in the same city as me with 5 bars of ping it "feels" like there's at least 200ms ping. Like, coming from experience in many FPS games, when I'm tracking someone with a sniper rifle (lascannon or stalker) it just "feels" like I'm in a shitty ping server, when you're running out of your spawn and you see your team mates slightly moon walking, again a sign of a few hundred ms of ping. Even in a local private match it seems like there's maybe half a dozen people with ping under 200 and everyone else is over that. There's a lot of similar complaints over on the official forums.

It makes me think that the first day when I didn't see lag was more because I hadn't gotten used to the weapons to notice the lag. I'm up to level 34 now.

I had pretty much a complete reversal. The first day I played it was absolute shit. It almost made me hate the game. But, I played all day and all night yesterday and it was such a much more enjoyable experience. Still a lot of odd occurrences; getting shot while behind barriers and people warping out and what not. I can deal with it for the time being.

That said, I fucking love space marine. It could be perfect with with a little more time. It already pretty much feels perfect to me. There is a really technical game in there, just needs some ironing out. It would be great to see some dedicated servers and mods tools for the community, make this game last a few years.

My steam is tamazomby, add me as friend if anyone wants. I currently have no friends because this is really the first time I've ever used steam. :(

Still going through the single player. It is a reasonably long campaign if you play it on hard mode. For anyone starting the game now, I definitely recommend playing it on hard. Its really not that hard and its more entertaining dying occasionally and thinking how you should proceed to not die next time.

I did have a few tricky moments which took several tries to get through. One thing I dont like about single player is it just throws weapons at you randomly and if you pick the wrong ones you can have a hell of a time getting through the next section. If you dont have a scoped weapon (stalker or lascannon) and then you come up against a long ranged battle you're pretty much screwed. A couple of times that happened to me and I had to pretty much use all of the bullets in my regular bolter to get past the stage, carefully picking off headshots while cowardly hiding behind cover when if I had a stalker or a lascannon it would have been a breeze.

One time I picked up a thunder hammer thinking, sweet, the next battle must be a close ranged battle (you can't use anything other than a standard bolter and pistol when using the hammer) and it turned out to be long ranged battle against missile dudes and it took me several attempts to get through them as the autosave was just AFTER I had passed the weapons crate and couldn't go back.

Also if you pick the RIGHT weapons at the right time some sections are almost too easy. Like the big Ork boss fight I luckily had just picked up a meltagun and a plasma gun, so just fried him and his minions quite easily with melta shots and charged plasma gun shots... it may have been a much harder battle if I'd picked up a vengence launcher and stalker instead.

I think the game should let you just carry 5 or 6 ranged weapons and 2 close combat weapons so you can have a more rounded selection at any given time. In the end I found myself resorting to the bolter and pistol far too often because they are the best all-rounders.

But aside from that gripe, the game is fun and I still recommend hard mode for anyone just starting out ;) After playing the SP for a while I wish the MP carried across more of the SP awesomeness, maybe it will when coop is released.

Just finished the game on hard mode. The last battle was pretty tough, took me maybe 10-15 attempts to get past... though it was partly my fault for not using my weapons effectively. The entire game I got by mostly with a pistol and bolter and tried to do the same on the end boss, failing several times before swapping to a lascannon and meltagun which made it easier (still not super easy, but not impossible by any stretch). Normally when you get swamped in combat you can just roll away and hack them up, but if you're simultaneously getting shot sometimes you have to swap to a meltagun and just fry them all so you dont waste time while you're getting shot.

For anyone having issues with slowdown, make sure you turn off vsync. I spent a large portion of the single player campaign fighting against slow motion/stuttering despite high framerates only to realise it was vsync causing the problems.

Last edited:
I am still eagerly awaiting the cooop/horde add-on. The standard multiplayer modes just don't have the appeal to keep me playing.

I just beat the game, and I just wanted to say this: Fuck the Inquisition.

Game does a real good job of painting the 40k universe though.

I just beat the game, and I just wanted to say this: Fuck the Inquisition.

Game does a real good job of painting the 40k universe though.

Yeah. At first I was disappointed they picked the Ultramarines, but in the end I see why they did. I hope they get a bit more adventurous in the future though, the Space Smurfs are the most boring chapter and Forgeworlds have their cool moments, but overall are quite bland. IIf they make a sequel I'd love to, at very least, see more environments and maybe a more thought out weapons system beyond random high powered weapons lying around everywhere that for some strange reason no one has bothered to steal.

If that had of been a Space Wolf he just woulda kicked the Inquisitor in the balls and laughed :p

So where are we on the Exterminatus DLC? They said early October. It's early October and I haven't ever heard anything about the release/patch date?

It's only 3 days into October, give it time.

I know its still early and I'm not surprised its not out yet. I'm just a little surprised we haven't at least heard anything about its release. I'm betting it because of an impending delay. I'm really eager for some co-op.

Exterminatus to hit Oct 25

The Exterminatus DLC for Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine will be released on Tuesday, 25th October, Eurogamer can exclusively reveal.

The free add-on will hit all three platforms - PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 - at once. Note that the PlayStation Store updates a day later in Europe each week, on Wednesdays.

With the Exterminatus DLC comes four-player online co-op. You play a special mode fittingly called Exterminatus, which pits Space Marines against Orks and the Forces of Chaos.

You can be either a Tactical Marine, Devastator or Assault class, and you can use perks unlocked in competitive multiplayer to give you an edge. Co-op progression will apply to your multiplayer ranking, too. Teams will be scored on their performance, and benefit from multipliers and dynamic challenges along the way.

Exterminatus will have two scenarios to begin with: Assault on Hab Center Andreas, and Escape from Kalkys Facility.

Developer Relic Entertainment last night told Eurogamer there will be more DLC to follow the Exterminatus mode.

"There are some plans [for more]," producer Andy Lang told us. "We're working on some other DLC."

He was reluctant to go into detail, but said that with future DLC "there will be a free component to them as well as some paid components".

An accompanying Relic PR confirmed that "we'll have both" - referring to premium and free DLC.

Oooooh yeaaaahhh. Needs more opponent races but this will suffice.

I'm more looking forward to the fixes for the connection issues at this point. They need to get off their asses and address some of the mp issues already. Multiplayer has been very inconsistent for me as of late (still and getting worse it seems).

Still excited for coop, For some reason I thought (hoping) it was going to be released today, after that little update yesterday. but oh well.

It'll probably get worse unless they drastically overhaul the complete system. Because it is a p2p match making system, as the player population drops, problems with latency and wait times will go up due to less "compatible" players.

As stated in many places on the [official] forums, the upcoming patch will address MP and allow for better connections and hopefully less lag. It's impossible to determine what the true issue is for everyone, but I can say the game code is being refined to allow better play.
I just hope they don't half-ass it. Tweak some minor shit and say here ya go

Free DLC for this game? Glad I chose to support them.

With all the exp he was getting in the video, it should be really simple to hit 41 now.

Exterminatus is out. Its really fun, but surprise surprise, the matchmaking system is totally fucked. It wont let you join a game which is already in progress. Well no, it lets you join the host, it just wont let you join the GAME, which is even worse, because it keeps throwing you into matches and says "starting" BUT IT NEVER STARTS. AAAAAAAAARGGGGHHHH, this game pisses me off so much. The gameplay is really fun and entertaining but the fucking P2P matchmaking just ruins it.

Exterminatus is out. Its really fun, but surprise surprise, the matchmaking system is totally fucked. It wont let you join a game which is already in progress. Well no, it lets you join the host, it just wont let you join the GAME, which is even worse, because it keeps throwing you into matches and says "starting" BUT IT NEVER STARTS. AAAAAAAAARGGGGHHHH, this game pisses me off so much. The gameplay is really fun and entertaining but the fucking P2P matchmaking just ruins it.

I've joined games in progress without issue.

I've only played the demo, and the keyboard and mouse options were disabled. How are the keyboard and mouse controls in the full game? I couldn't finish the demo because the aiming was very bad, imo.

I've only played the demo, and the keyboard and mouse options were disabled. How are the keyboard and mouse controls in the full game? I couldn't finish the demo because the aiming was very bad, imo.

When i played the demo, i was able to go into gameplay options and turn off mouse smoothing. In fact, that was the very 1st thing I did when I launched the demo.

Anyone get through the Bonus Wave (#21) in Exterminatus? I'm just curious if its beatable or just a constant stream of Chaos until you die.

I've joined games in progress without issue.
Yeah, after playing a few hours I've joined a few in progress games, but more often than not it hangs at the lobby screen until people vote to restart instead of retrying, it seems a pretty common issue over on the official forums.
I've turned off mouse smoothing. As far as actual control layout, I've found the default is actually pretty good once you get used to it. Because you can't crouch, using ctrl to aim actually becomes quite natural after a while and I find myself accidently crouching when I mean to aim in other games now.
Anyone get through the Bonus Wave (#21) in Exterminatus? I'm just curious if its beatable or just a constant stream of Chaos until you die.
Yeah its beatable. I've done it the one time I actually got placed in a decent team, barely lost any lives the whole way through and just dominated it with 3 thunder hammer marines and 1 heavy bolter. On the map I beat wave 21 on, it was reasonably easy to split up the Chaos marines into groups of 2-4, then all 3 of us with hammers would just pounce on them and take them out without too much trouble. You just gotta watch out for being shot to death while taking out a chaos marine in close combat. Against the marines with hammers, I would unload plasma pistol shots until it over heated, jump in and take a swing, then jump out and repeat until he was dead.

Yeah its beatable. I've done it the one time I actually got placed in a decent team, barely lost any lives the whole way through and just dominated it with 3 thunder hammer marines and 1 heavy bolter. On the map I beat wave 21 on, it was reasonably easy to split up the Chaos marines into groups of 2-4, then all 3 of us with hammers would just pounce on them and take them out without too much trouble. You just gotta watch out for being shot to death while taking out a chaos marine in close combat. Against the marines with hammers, I would unload plasma pistol shots until it over heated, jump in and take a swing, then jump out and repeat until he was dead.

My problem was not being able to split them up. I thought throughout the wave that the best strat would be to kill them one or 2 at a time, but they all just stayed in the spawn area of Hab Center that was covered by a roof that protected them from ground pounds. When we would try singling one out, we would get blasted by plasma rifles of the other 30 or so Chaos marines.

So how are people feeling about this game these days?

I loved the campaign.

Multiplayer is imperfect, but lots of fun. No dedicated servers makes it laggy for some. Also, the variety of maps is limited.

Coop was just recently released and seems to be pretty fun. I wish more of my friends would buy the game so we can play.

Back