The Official "Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty" Thread

I can't decide between Predators or Hercules for my Level 15 Zerg research upgrade. Can anyone help? Which one is best?

Get a hercules. I got the predators thinking they'd help against mass lings but I never used them. I always got siege tanks instead.

Thank god somebody created an 'official' thread, because those of us who don't care for this game are getting tired of seeing every gaming forum cluttered with Starcraft 2 threads. It's like The Borg are assimilating all the gaming forums. Resistance is not futile. One thread - one thread only.

Predators are pretty worthless unless you mass them. They also dont have upgrades, like other researched units.

My progress in single player is slow since I try to get all the achievements done for each mission that I play. This is why so far I am only on train robbery and the dig...

lol man I am the same way. I have not really had a chance to sit down and play for a few hours at a time since I got it, either. What time I have had to play usually is spent replaying the same missions until I 'finish' them :p

I never used predators nor hercules. Predators seem to be pointless since you already have hellion and firebats. Hercules is just goddamn expensive and it requires a fusion core. It costs as much as a battlecruiser (wtf...)

Anyone else getting high ram usage in SCII? today it was using almost 2gb after playing for 2 hours.

Playing at 1920*1200 on ultra.

playing SC2 on 2 4890's with 16x AA turned on in the cat settings

game looks fucken good

playing SC2 on 2 4890's with 16x AA turned on in the cat settings

game looks fucken good

are you getting any stuttering in game or poor performance in certain rooms of the ship? What kind of FPS are you getting? (press ctrl+alt+f in game to check)

I have a similar setup (power wise) and I'm lucky to break 30fps on ultra with reflections turned off :( Parts of the ship are making fps dip into the teens

How do I do offline play without creating a new character? The instructions are confusing when I click on the Play as Guess button

The hercules can hold a crapload of units though and can take a beating.

The Herc is okay, but nothing particularly special IMO. Medivacs don't require tech lab nor fusion core, and can be upgraded to drop units just as fast, plus they are pretty effective at healing. There just aren't very many missions where Herc doom drops are particularly useful, so I'm not really sure it was worth picking when I took it. Then again I've never tried the predators.

The Herc is okay, but nothing particularly special IMO. Medivacs don't require tech lab nor fusion core, and can be upgraded to drop units just as fast, plus they are pretty effective at healing. There just aren't very many missions where Herc doom drops are particularly useful, so I'm not really sure it was worth picking when I took it. Then again I've never tried the predators.

I agree with Hydralisk. At least in the main campaign both the predators and the Herc don't see much use unless you specifically try to use them. Predators are kind of expensive for their powers and strength. They tend to die easily. You can't upgrade them and you have plenty of anti-infantry options already. The Herc is nice but pretty much the only thing it has over the Medivac is twice the capacity but it costs a ton to build one.

You'll be fine using the other units so the choice here doesn't really matter. There's only really 1 mission (where the medivac gets introduced) where the Herc might make an appearance but even there it's not that mandatory.

The science vessel, on the other hand, was really important to me. I built tons of mechanical units (from wraiths to thors to goliaths or any of the air units) and to have something to heal them all for free and in the midst of battle was awesome. The rip field mission was just tons of BCs and SVs.

I'm just fucking pissed I can't change my damn name. What the hell Blizzard?

Yea its a good thing I didn't make a completely rushed/stupid name just to be able to try single player faster. A big change from SC1, which is the last Blizzard game I played. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind the fixed names though, since I thought every account has an ID tied to it independent of the name anyways?

Yea its a good thing I didn't make a completely rushed/stupid name just to be able to try single player faster. A big change from SC1, which is the last Blizzard game I played. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind the fixed names though, since I thought every account has an ID tied to it independent of the name anyways?

Yeah, I don't know either. And they didn't even give you a warning that it would be permanent. I thought it was like SC1 where you had a name for the single player and a different one for Bnet. There are tons of people just using their first names (which I did). It's pretty stupid.

Wow holy crap... just got the 500k lost viking achievement. I still had 5 lives and 20 bombs left after terratron level 3, but my wrist screamed NO.

Anyone else getting high ram usage in SCII? today it was using almost 2gb after playing for 2 hours.

Playing at 1920*1200 on ultra.

Ya this game eats my RAM like crazy. I am playing on medium settings and it generally uses 90%+ of my 2gb. I had to order some new RAM. I do not see how Blizzard recommends 2gb when 2gb barely gets the job done.

Ya this game eats my RAM like crazy. I am playing on medium settings and it generally uses 90%+ of my 2gb. I had to order some new RAM. I do not see how Blizzard recommends 2gb when 2gb barely gets the job done.

The beta client used well under 1gb... the retail client uses 2gb even when I'm idle in the lobby.

RAM is there to be used, unless SC2 has a memory leak it should be using as much RAM as it needs, you'll get better performance that way.

I realize that, PrincessFrosty, but problems arise when the game tends to idle using 90% of my RAM. For instance, if I get into a large battle online, I will not have enough RAM to play smoothly anymore. I know this because I played a custom game of Golem Wars (ahhh nostalgia), and there were several messages that X player is slowing the game down because of performance. Toward the end when I had a massive army, it happened to me as well. I have been fearful to try a 4v4 because of it.

bought it last night. played about 10 missions on normal. its a fun game. i love the story line and how you interact with others on the ship. i didnt like the price but thats a topic for another day.

The Starcraft II box and packaging is the exact reason why I don't want game to go download-only. Nice fold-out box cover, and a "James Raynor: Wanted" notepad!

are you getting any stuttering in game or poor performance in certain rooms of the ship? What kind of FPS are you getting? (press ctrl+alt+f in game to check)

I have a similar setup (power wise) and I'm lucky to break 30fps on ultra with reflections turned off :( Parts of the ship are making fps dip into the teens

I'm in the same boat. The game is like butter smooth and then all the sudden stars stuttering in certain areas. It's very random

I get stuttering at the start of every campaign mission for about 30-60 seconds. Loading times in the campaign are brutal (3 minutes usually), too. Sure, it's not Commodore 64 stick-the-tape-in-and-wait-10-minutes bad, but long compared to most other PC games.

bpmurrGT and Plague_Injected, set the shaders to "high" under graphical setting, assuming it's currently set to ultra. It should fix any performance issues you're having :)

I went from having 30fps (if I was lucky) and stuttering performance to 80fps and now it's smooth as butter.

I get stuttering at the start of every campaign mission for about 30-60 seconds. Loading times in the campaign are brutal (3 minutes usually), too. Sure, it's not Commodore 64 stick-the-tape-in-and-wait-10-minutes bad, but long compared to most other PC games.

It's not that bad for me, but it's definitely there. The start of a lot of campaign missions likes to stutter for 5-10 seconds for me. Loads can take a minute or two, but 3 is ridiculous.

Anywho... I decided to play 4 games of 1v1 after doing my placements. I play as zerg and ALL FOUR GAMES, I get cheesed by something. Two games were proxy gate / zealot rush by protoss (won one, lost one). The other two games were proxy bunker with reapers / marines (lost one, won one again). All of these players were either platinum or diamond... and all of them have close to 50 games played. Is this really what platinum / diamond 1v1 has turned into?? I haven't played 1v1 since phase 1 of beta, but damn was I surprised to see four of these guys in a row.

I went from having 30fps (if I was lucky) and stuttering performance to 80fps and now it's smooth as butter.

you should be able to run at ultra with that gpu.

it's more than likely your cpu holding you back according to techspot.

It is a shame that StarCraft II can only utilize two cores, as this really hurts older quad-core processors such as the Core 2 Quad Q6600. Furthermore this will also mean that those with budget quad-core processors, such as the Athlon II X4, will also suffer.
http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page13.html

Maybe, maybe not. My roommate says that SLI is buggy right now for him with poor performance and overall laggy feel. Of course he has two gtx 480's so he couldn't care less if he ran with 1 gpu.

EDIT: Speak of the devil, the very same article you linked indicates that SLI and Xfire pretty much don't improve frames and sometimes decreasese it. This is the same experience I have with my setup and my roommate's gtx 480 sli setup. So I'm going to guess that his gtx 295 isn't performing at gtx 295 levels.

Last edited:

yeah, thats the impression I was under as well. But like I said, I have everything else maxed out and it runs great. It was the shader setting that was killing it for whatever reason.

hopefully blizzard releases a patch that address this issue, regardless if it's a CPU bottleneck or just a bug in the software

I'm looking for some tips on how to more easily handle the Zerg Leviathan. I thought I would use a bunch of cloaked units to handle it, but it seems to have detection, even though the unit portrait does not say so. It only says Biological Massive Heroic. Given how fast it can rip apart an army of Vikings, I'm thinking the best answer for this fella is to unload a ton of yamato on its ass. If it didn't detect I'd either use wraiths or stun-lock it with spectres.

You should be able to mass yamato cannons on it. Try to keep your BC's spread out though.

bpmurrGT and Plague_Injected, set the shaders to "high" under graphical setting, assuming it's currently set to ultra. It should fix any performance issues you're having :)

Thanks I'll give it a try. It still doesn't makes sense why the frame rate drop is so random.

My shaders were already on High but I lowered them to Medium, as well as a few other settings, and I'm at 1280x720. The stuttering is still there but the load times are a llittle shorter now, thanks for the tips :)

I'm looking for some tips on how to more easily handle the Zerg Leviathan. I thought I would use a bunch of cloaked units to handle it, but it seems to have detection, even though the unit portrait does not say so. It only says Biological Massive Heroic. Given how fast it can rip apart an army of Vikings, I'm thinking the best answer for this fella is to unload a ton of yamato on its ass. If it didn't detect I'd either use wraiths or stun-lock it with spectres.

Yamato its ass. It has 2000 hp on normal and 4000 on brutal. Yamato does 300 damage.

The Starcraft II box and packaging is the exact reason why I don't want game to go download-only. Nice fold-out box cover, and a "James Raynor: Wanted" notepad!

Whatever happened to those awesome detailed manuals they used to give out with their games.

Whatever happened to those awesome detailed manuals they used to give out with their games.

Truth. Used to be my favorite part of getting a new game. Open up the box, grab out the 200 page, full sized graphical manual :D

Back