The Official "Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty" Thread

Decko87

2[H]4U
Hello everyone, the forums have been down for a little while, and during that time Wings of Liberty has gone live! That's right, the beta is over and we can now begin enjoying the full features of the game. I thought I would start this thread so we could consolidate all discussion on the game. Feel free to post any opinions, news, information or otherwise, the idea is that this will be the [H]ardforum source for all things Starcraft 2.

P.S. If you need someone to play online with, post your Moniker and ID number then I'll add you to the list.

Starcraft 2 News:

The "King of the Beta" Tournament is over, be sure to check out the videos in the link below to find out who won!

http://day9tv.blip.tv/

In regards to the Single Player:

Try not to give out too many spoilers, or at least make everyone aware that it is a spoiler. :)
Warning: Don't look at the Art Book or the Behind the Scenes DVD if you bought the Collector's Edition and wish not to spoil the Campaign.

Be sure to check out some of the best internet resources:

Blizzard's Starcraft 2 Official Page

Team Liquid(Professional Starcraft 2 Gaming Site)

Official Hardforum Starcraft 2 ID list

Thank you Techpriest for posting this:

ATI Anti-Aliasing Hot Fix

Last edited:
Anyone has a guest pass? Copies come with 8hr guest passes or something?

:(

I think that ###### wining the KotB qualifies as a spoiler to everyone that stopped watching the stream and started playing at 12:30 PM....

Anyways, Finished the campaign on hard, was an awesome experience, and am currently playing the alternate choice missions.

I will add my ID when I have my 3 digit code, unfortunately I am stuck house sitting for the week :(

Good point, I'll take it down, You should take your message down as well.

I've completed 27 of 29 missions on brutal. I made some poor choices (armory and the 'char decision') for the last mission on brutal - literally the perfect storm to screw me over.

Has anyone done the 'banshee mission' on brutal? I literally can't wrap my head around how to beat it. After failing 3 or 4 times (utterly failing - not even close), I breezed through it on normal to progress.

I want my CHEEV for 29/29 brutal !

I bought a box at midnight from gamespot. Apparently there was a packing error as it came with 2 disks, 2 guest passes, and 2 trials. Good deal for me :)

I think I've done 9 of the campaigns on hard, with all the achievements, a few on brutal as well. I've done normal on 2 maps and it is crazy how easy it is.

Anyone know where to put maps that you download into the game for skrimish , ums and stuff?

Warning: Don't look at the Art Book or the Behind the Scenes DVD if you bought the Collector's Edition and wish not to spoil the Campaign.

thanks for the heads up I was going to look at that tonight

Picked mine up at midnight on launch. Must say as first I was pissed because the game ran so choppy in both multi and single player. I went ahead and rebooted and it did a few more updates and it seems to run a lot better now. The single player thouh is pretty good. I wont say anything about it but i am def caught into the story.

Picked the CE up at midnight launch, managed to grab a Terran and Protoss poster from EB games as well. Looking for a Zerg one if anyone doesn't want theirs! As well I need lessons in multi if anyone wants to teach me fundamentals for playing random. Down for some multi fun just the same though!
Also, nice job linking Day 9, great caster & resource to all.
ID: runudownquik 957

I'll have to give brutal a go once I nuke my computer. Got a new video card and something makes me wanna start fresh after a new hardware install. So what did you guys think of the ending?

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I thought it was great, even with the BS plot twists. Makes me wonder who or what will control the Zerg now.

Is there honestly much of a chance someone who has never played starcraft or gotten into an RTS game -- could that person (me) end up being competitive online? I like the idea of playing an MP game with a huge community, many updates, and quality developer support. Anyone else in my situation? There's just too much talk about this game to look past now.

Well I havn't played any online matches yet, but if you really suck you will be put in the bottom rank with all the other bad players. That will allow you to learn, then you get moved up once you win a bunch. So if you enjoy playing it, learn from your mistakes, and are persistent then yes you could become competitive.

My favorite games in War3 were the custom games, mainly tower defense. I think i may have played a handful of real maps when it first came out, and then never again. With the custom map maker there is a much great range of things you can do with the game, and you can enjoy multiplayer from a different angle than the competitive matches.

Is there honestly much of a chance someone who has never played starcraft or gotten into an RTS game -- could that person (me) end up being competitive online? I like the idea of playing an MP game with a huge community, many updates, and quality developer support. Anyone else in my situation? There's just too much talk about this game to look past now.

yes. One of my friends never played SC1 and he's not terribly good at games in general but he and I were diamond in beta and he's doing the campaign on brutal.

What makes this thread more official than the dozen others that came before it?

Just finished the single player campaign. The game was good fun and the presentation was simply awesome. Worth the money for me, and I haven't even started the MP yet. I got through the majority of the missions using MMM.

What's the news about LAN support, are blizzard gonna implement it or is it a no chance?

I only found out about no LAN support today :(

What's the news about LAN support, are blizzard gonna implement it or is it a no chance?

I only found out about no LAN support today :(

really old news and no lan will not be added back into the game.. honestly its just not needed anymore.. i mean seriously how often do you go to a lan party where you dont have internet access?

really old news and no lan will not be added back into the game.. honestly its just not needed anymore.. i mean seriously how often do you go to a lan party where you dont have internet access?

It's not a matter of the internet access though, it's about lower ping and latency! Shit, may as well just stay home and play over the net if that's the case.

Outstanding game so far. With the included map editor, it's easily worth the 60.00. I can see myself putting hundreds of hours into this game over time.

My only real complaint is the performance. With the rig in my signature I'm only getting anywhere from 20-60 fps with constant stuttering on Ultra. I haven't played around with any settings yet, but I wonder if it's an SLI issue.

I have been beating missions on Brutal so far, and going back to get the achievements I missed with Hard, getting some of those achievements on Brutal would be a miracle. So far the game is awesome I loving every minute of it.

Do yourself a favor and just play the Campaign on Brutal mode your first time through, because the missions I repeat on Hard do not give you the experience that Brutal offers. Hard is barely a step up from Normal mode and I could play Normal in my sleep, it is so sllloooowww...

So I was playing Single Player yesterday and a message popped up saying I lost connection to battle.net then the game kicked me in the middle of my mission to main menu and asked me to relogin to battle.net, now im pissed what the fuck?

I have been beating missions on Brutal so far, and going back to get the achievements I missed with Hard, getting some of those achievements on Brutal would be a miracle. So far the game is awesome I loving every minute of it.

Do yourself a favor and just play the Campaign on Brutal mode your first time through, because the missions I repeat on Hard do not give you the experience that Brutal offers. Hard is barely a step up from Normal mode and I could play Normal in my sleep, it is so sllloooowww...

Go to options -> gameplay -> increase game speed if normal mode is too slow.

Jutsu, have you done the banshee mission on brutal? That's one of the two that I just cannot do. I'm stuck at 27/29 :(

Getting into diamond is really annoying me. My partner and I are 16-1, 364 points and we're still in platinum :(

I played the first two single-player missions last night, but decided I'm going to save the game for my M11X R2, which should be arriving next week.

Shame about the lack of AA for my 4890.

Shame about the lack of AA for my 4890.

I looked up AA support for this and apparently its lacking for ATI's entire lineup. Doesn't work for me neither. I even tried it on an 8800 gt rig with no luck. Though i'm not sure about nvidias newest lineup.

It's not a matter of the internet access though, it's about lower ping and latency! Shit, may as well just stay home and play over the net if that's the case.

Exactly , 8+ people sharing one net connection is just horrible , pings will be weird/crazy. LAN support should have been kept in the game , Blizzard has already proven they want a complete death grip on each player that plays by forcing them to open a full gamer account. However there is already talk of a (not so legal mind you) app being developed that could possibly mimic IPX (of course future patching could make this impossible)

I love the game otherwise and I'm enjoying it a lot but the feeling isn't the same , Blizzard is more paranoid than ever and doing some really fucked up policy changes.

Probably wait till I can get this at a bargain.

try ebay, I talked a guy down to accept my offer of $47. he opened up the box and sent me the key, as well as two guest keys. so he gets to save on shipping. theres no way in hell I'm paying $60 for a game. even if I want it a day after release.;)

Back