The Official "Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty" Thread

Looks like at least 3 of the 4 missing missions are the Protoss ones ("A Sinister Turn," "Echoes of the Future" and "In Utter Darkness"). No doubt the last one has to be "Piercing the Shroud."

2 of those missions are "alternate" ones and don't count toward the sub total. So you're actually missing 4 unique missions. Once you find/complete those, you should be 23/26 (+2 alternate missions = 25/29). After that there's 3 missions +1 alternate (4 total). 25 + 4 = 29 as the grand total.

Yup. There are 29 missions total, three that you miss in a single playthrough because they are alternate missions, which is why a single play will get you a maximum of 26.

Okay so I just missed 3 Protoss missions and 1 secret mission, and what you guys are saying is that the alternative missions don't count toward the total number?

It doesn't count towards the total 26, no. But it does count towards an achievement called "Wings of Liberty Completionist [Difficulty]" or something like that, which counts all 29. Unlike how the save files track missions, the achievement doesn't care when and where you complete these missions, it'll count.

Alright thanks for all the explanations guys, I'll give it another play through and see.

I've been trying to get the "Blaze of Glory" achievement for the mission "In Utter Darkness". I've gotten to a little over 2000 kills with massed Stalkers, Immortals, and a few Colossi. However, once I get to that number, several those projectile shooting hybrids show up and pretty much decimate my forces. Anyone got any tips? I'm playing it on Normal to get the achievement, but I may go back and beat it on Hard later.

In the scenario above, I've already tried retreating to the high ground after the Archives are saved. I've also tried to use the Dark Templar tactic, where you wall off the ramps/bridges so nothing can pass, but there is a point where there are too many Overseers to take down. At least one Overseer will get too close to a line of DTs before I can snipe them all with Phoenixes. If you've got any tips for the mission (preferably what to build from the beginning to the end of the mission), it would be much appreciated.

Just make void ray and carrier once you get them, and make sure to get upgrades. I think got +1200 in normal, but only +250 on brutal.

Another good option is to start off with Dark Templar until Void Rays become available. Ever wonder why Zeratul and the Observers scattered all over the place survive as long as they do early on? There's no enemy detectors for a good while, even on Brutal. After that, they'll start bringing in Overseers, but you should have mostly Void Rays by then.

edit: I see you mentioned something about a DT tactic. It should only be a transitory unit until you can get to better units.

Another good option is to start off with Dark Templar until Void Rays become available. Ever wonder why Zeratul and the Observers scattered all over the place survive as long as they do early on? There's no enemy detectors for a good while, even on Brutal. After that, they'll start bringing in Overseers, but you should have mostly Void Rays by then.

edit: I see you mentioned something about a DT tactic. It should only be a transitory unit until you can get to better units.

Quick note though... the hybrids are detectors.

I got that achievement on Hard. The only units I made were DT's, Collosi and Carriers, but I kept a minimum of 8 Photon Cannons on each entrance and also built a whole bunch back at the base.

If you just pull back and ignore the archives completely I found the mission rather straight forward actually and you don't need to over think it. Just do a cannon wall several deep on the chokes and constantly keep those built. Mass a few Collosus on the middle between the two ramps, and keep your void rays there. Use phoenix with gravity before rays on the hybrids. I did the achievement on brutal actually this way on the first try. My force was mainly I think 8-10 colossus, what they gave you, and rest all void rays.

Void rays is the key, when i replayed on normal to get the research for the archives, I actually had to self kill all my own units cause they were not able to kill them.

You don't really need to over think it with a lot of micro and a diversifying your forces.

Quick note though... the hybrids are detectors.

Are they? I don't see how Zeratul or Observers could survive for so long then. Then again, they don't come out until after quite a few waves. If Void Rays become available by then, it would explain how I can survive with mostly DT early on.

I've been trying to get the "Blaze of Glory" achievement for the mission "In Utter Darkness". I've gotten to a little over 2000 kills with massed Stalkers, Immortals, and a few Colossi. However, once I get to that number, several those projectile shooting hybrids show up and pretty much decimate my forces. Anyone got any tips? I'm playing it on Normal to get the achievement, but I may go back and beat it on Hard later.

Ive gotten to about 2400...biggest thing to help me is using the gravity thingy on the phoenix's...lift em up in the air and they are helpless. Right around 2300-2350 you get SWARMED by those things, like 50 at a time, and then its over.

My latest plan was turrets everywhere, 3 collusi on each way in, two templar on each way in with some backups to recharge, and then the rest in voidrays and phoenixs

I gravitize the hybrids, I psi storm the zerg rush, and the turrets and collusi clean up the rest. The phoenixs and void raypers are my quick reaction force. Nothing else moves around. Any spare money goes into turrets or replacement collusi/flyers.

Using some of the other guys' tips, I managed to get near 2500 on Normal. I just used what they gave me at the start and kept building Colossi until I got Void Rays. Then I started building Void Rays and Colossi while upgrading weapons/armor/shielding. I also used the hero units and whatever warped in with them, but I only replaced them if I lost them. Thanks for the help everyone. I may try this on Hard difficulty later.

saving the archives on hard is next to impossible! i cant imagine doing it on brutal. I built a ton of cannons + carriers + void rays. The cannons die fast but they were a good wall in to let the air shoot them.

I usually let the archives die on Brutal, but I still try to defend the middle while I build up a massive wall of cannons on the plateau.

Dear sweet god in heaven.

I just had a 2 hour 2v1 match (Me being the one) against 2 friends on fastest.

I was toss, 1 was terran, one was zerg.

I was wiped out twice. I had to re-strat 3 times, I had to rebase 3 times, I had to redo everything atleast once.

I won.

It was amazing.

I might cry a little.

I love this game.

saving the archives on hard is next to impossible! i cant imagine doing it on brutal. I built a ton of cannons + carriers + void rays. The cannons die fast but they were a good wall in to let the air shoot them.

It really isn't. I got 2500 kills and saved them on brutal and only had to load a save one time. Just mass colossus + immortal, warp in stalkers as needed. I built a boat load of photon cannons in the main base for when I had to pull back. Using phoenixes to lift the hybrids is a must. Oh and don't forget to get all the weapon/armor/shield upgrades at the forge!

On a side note I've been sick the past couple days and not 100% focused so I've been doing random team games for fun. Why does everyone suck? I always get stuck with people who insist that doing crap like teching to siege tanks and hellions is a sure fire way to win after I scouted both players on the other team 4 gating with proxy pylons right outside out bases :mad:

Is there any way to leave a custom game after the countdown timer has started? My friend and I kept ending up in games where multiple people would leave (making teams unfair) during countdown and the only way we know of is logging out and re-grouping which gets annoying. Are we missing something? :confused:

Updated with custom ladder standing for Hardforum

OP:

Could you update your links?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1536805

HardforumSC2.jpg

sc2z.jpg

Can someone explain to me why we are still in this bronze league? It seems kind of rediculous we are still in the bronze with that many games played.

sc2z.jpg

Can someone explain to me why we are still in this bronze league? It seems kind of rediculous we are still in the bronze with that many games played.

There were tons of issues back in beta with people being kept in lower ranks and not getting promoted, looks like it's still there. Not sure of a solution though, sorry. :(

sc2z.jpg

It's not about the number of games, it's about the win/loss ratio vs. people of higher skill.

You seem to belong in Bronze based on your w/l ratio.

This post on teamliquid has a good summary of how the ladder system works:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=118212

Basically as others have stated, you have to have a significantly higher percentage of wins vs. people in your own bracket and a 50%+ win rate vs. people in the brackets above you. These people will show up as being "favored" on the loading screen. Other thing to note is that the points you see in game have nothing at all to do with your actual placement. It also takes a certain number of games (around 30) to actually be promoted.

Back