The Official "Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty" Thread

On a side note, I like what I see of the story and how it's presented. I'm not gonna pretend to be some kind of grand critic like a few people seem to be on here and try to make the story out to be like it's some kind of perfect novel like Ernest Hemingway would write, but I think it's pretty standard fare, and what makes the difference to me is in how it's presented. I think the voice work and the cinematics are really well done, and that makes a LOT of difference to me when you're presenting your storyline.

I agree, I think regardless of ones personal opinions on the story, gameplay, technical aspects of graphics and etc., you have to admit the production/presentation quality (as expected) is top notch in this game regardless of your viewpoint.

I mean even if the graphics aren't technically a Crysis, I find it a lot more interesting to look at and visually appealing. Art design, content and direction is much more important then the technical aspect in my opinion.

If anyone has a trial key they wouldn't mind parting with, I'd love to give the game a try. I can't remember the last RTS I've played but after all the praise going around it may be time to play the genre again.

Same here. Got the beta for a day and then it stopped. Would appreciate a trial key if you could :D

Just got my Kerrigan portrait after beating all the Brutal missions! "All In" on Brutal was intense! Do any other RTS games out there have that kind of intensity? I'm not familiar with most of em.

Is anyone else experience huge performance dips on maps like Agria Valley and Megaton when they have AA turned on? Specifically, when I scroll over the background water effects on this tileset, my performance just dies completely when I have any AA forced through the Nvidia Control Panel.

Also, when I click on my pylons, or the pylon power comes up, that seems to kill my performance as well.

Just got my Kerrigan portrait after beating all the Brutal missions! "All In" on Brutal was intense! Do any other RTS games out there have that kind of intensity? I'm not familiar with most of em.

Yes and no. One thing I noticed about SC2 is it has a lot more missions where you are pushed for time, where you can't just simply turtle up in your base forever while building a huge mob and methodically attacking bit by bit.

Ah, finally. I'm in diamond 1v1 and 2v2 now. Apparently it takes ~30 games no matter what to re-evaluate your league positioning. Got to diamond with a 23-6 2v2 record and a 18-12 1v1 record... I thought for sure my 1v1 was stanky, but I was playing pretty much all diamond players so I guess I was 'good enough'.

Scary thing about the matchmaking system is that it's precise. Once you're in the right placement, your expected win/loss ratio should end up close to 50/50. That's probably intense.

I assume everyone knows about the secret mission you can open by blowing up a lab and recovering documents from it in Media Blitz mission?

I assume everyone knows about the secret mission you can open by blowing up a lab and recovering documents from it in Media Blitz mission?

Yea, I actually found it on accident the first time I did media blitz on brutal with a floating orbital command that abandoned the expansion above it when attacked. I sent 1 scv out to attack it for giggles and then like 5 minutes later I get a "secret mission unlocked" message.

When you guys are playing as terran and go up against protoss what strategy do you like to use?

When you guys are playing as terran and go up against protoss what strategy do you like to use?
Scout early, scout often, and play reactively. If you can develop an effective counter to his plan you can probably finish him off before things escalate to a macro war. Don't expand if you see a 4-gate etc.

If for some reason you are forced to play blind, I think mixing marine tank and raven is versatile enough that you won't get completely clobbered, but I would rather spend energy on comsats than play without intel.

If you can, harass as much as is feasible. Harassing is not just about killing probes but it provides scouting and keeps your opponent defensive, and with protoss's ridiculous offensive mobility you definitely want him to play defensive.

Last edited:
This is going to be a really dumb question but how do you unlock the bonus portraits and special in game Thor unit for those of us that got the Collector's edition?

This is going to be a really dumb question but how do you unlock the bonus portraits and special in game Thor unit for those of us that got the Collector's edition?

The bonus portraits are already there.The mini Thor is a WoW pet, and should be sent to your WoW account if you have one attached to your battle.net account.

Right click on your portrait when you are in the achievement tab. Some of the portraits requre an insane amount of wins 1000+ to get.

Right click on your portrait when you are in the achievement tab. Some of the portraits requre an insane amount of wins 1000+ to get.

Blizzard were planning for the long term when it came to achievements. Even the biggest achievement whore will take at least a year to get them all :p

What are the bonus portraits of anyways? Just curious if I'm missing out anything I'd really like having decided to go regular.

The bonus portraits are the Tauren Marine, Diablo Marine, Night Elf Banshee, and Raynor Marine. The bonus decals are Alliance, Horde, and Diablo Skull.

I just finished the single campaign and at the end I completed 22/26 missions, I know there is one secret mission and 3 other missions by making choices but how can I actually beat those missions to make it round to 26/26? I loaded the savegame before the Char mission, so I'm at 19/26 and beat those missions but it still doesn't add to the number. I'm totally confused.

It won't be those missions, but you can replay them from the "archive" console or button (depending on whether you're on char or the hyperion still) even if you picked the other choice. The game actually has 29 missions though if you include the 3 extras with choices. It's likely you did not play a mission set to the end before going to Char. I'd check achievements, and see which ones you missed.

Did you go check the lab on the hyperion? There is a set of missions accessed from there and not the bridge.

I would have beat those before I landed on Char but I didn't realize until I finished the game. So basically I just loaded my savegame to a mission before the Char mission and I was on the ship checking the console to go to those missions. And as I mentioned even though I beat those they still don't count the total number of completed missions, which is weird to me.

I am surprised at how much I am enjoying the melee games aspect. I originally bought this only thinking I would play custom maps (because I suck at RTS) like I did for Warcraft 3 and TFT. However I played the five placement leagues, and convinced myself that it's okay if I lost, because they're for placement. I decided to try a few games in Bronze, and surprised myself, actually winning a couple which motivated me more. Bored at work, I watched tons of replays and have been doing well. Honestly, I'm actually playing more melee games than custom games now!

2v2 and 3v3 with friends is also a blasty blast, but I have quite a few friends who have this game and it's pretty annoying to have to do the placement matches for every person I team up with, but I can definitely see why they did this, and it makes sense. After I finally play 2v2 and 3v3 with all my friends and get placed, I think it will become more fun.

I just finished the single campaign and at the end I completed 22/26 missions, I know there is one secret mission and 3 other missions by making choices but how can I actually beat those missions to make it round to 26/26? I loaded the savegame before the Char mission, so I'm at 19/26 and beat those missions but it still doesn't add to the number. I'm totally confused.

The optional missions are as follows:

- 3 alternate choice missions (makes the total missions 29)
- 3 Protoss mini campaign missions
- 1 secret mission you get from "Media Blitz"

So the 3 Protoss mini campaign missions and the secret 1 are the ones you are missing. The 3 alternate ones count toward the total 29.

The optional missions are as follows:

- 3 alternate choice missions (makes the total missions 29)
- 3 Protoss mini campaign missions
- 1 secret mission you get from "Media Blitz"

So the 3 Protoss mini campaign missions and the secret 1 are the ones you are missing. The 3 alternate ones count toward the total 29.

I guess you still don't understand my question. What I mean is I already beat the game and since I just found out I missed those missions, I wanna go back and beat them but even though I did, they still don't count toward my completed missions.
So let's say I beat the game with 22/26, I continue the campaign and beat those but they don't add up to make a complete 26/26.

I guess you still don't understand my question. What I mean is I already beat the game and since I just found out I missed those missions, I wanna go back and beat them but even though I did, they still don't count toward my completed missions.
So let's say I beat the game with 22/26, I continue the campaign and beat those but they don't add up to make a complete 26/26.

Oh I see, that's strange. I think simply beating them without saving it to the main file may not count towards the total. However, I'm pretty confident that it counts towards the completionist achievement.

So what you can try is re-load the save before entering Char, complete the missions you missed, then continue the Char missions until you beat the game again. That way, all of the missions will have been saved to a single continuous file.

No, what we both meant is that you are missing other missions. There is more then 26 missions if you count the 3 choice ones. You can get 26/26 without doing all 3 choices. You should have 26/26 after you beat the game without doing those 3 choices. The game actually has 29 total missions, which is why there is achievements for beating all 29 missions. And you can actually go to Char without doing all the single storyline paths. You won't get 26/26 without doing those missions you are missing, not the choice ones.

I'm pretty sure beating it from the archive works, since I got the completionist achievements via doing them from the archive (29/29 missions).

There is a branch of missions where you get them from the Hyperion lab, did you do those?

My guess is that, although doing the missions may count towards the achievement, it doesn't count toward the save file. When you reload the game before entering Char, the save file assumes you have not entered Char yet. So when you complete the missions missed, the save file still assumes you haven't gone to Char yet (even though you did on another save file). I think beating the game again after completing the missed missions will make it count towards the total.

Oh I see, that's strange. I think simply beating them without saving it to the main file may not count towards the total. However, I'm pretty confident that it counts towards the completionist achievement.

So what you can try is re-load the save before entering Char, complete the missions you missed, then continue the Char missions until you beat the game again. That way, all of the missions will have been saved to a single continuous file.

That's what I'm saying, it's really weird and I'm confused. I did load the save before the Char mission, so I was at 19/26. I went to the Mission Archive and beat 2 more, so it should be now 21/26 right? Instead it's still 19/26, it doesn't save or count toward the total number of missions at all.
So what you're saying is just keep going until I beat the game again? I thought it automatically updated every time you beat a mission.

No, what we both meant is that you are missing other missions. There is more then 26 missions if you count the 3 choice ones. You can get 26/26 without doing all 3 choices. You should have 26/26 after you beat the game without doing those 3 choices. The game actually has 29 total missions, which is why there is achievements for beating all 29 missions. And you can actually go to Char without doing all the single storyline paths. You won't get 26/26 without doing those missions you are missing, not the choice ones.

I'm pretty sure beating it from the archive works, since I got the completionist achievements via doing them from the archive (29/29 missions).

There is a branch of missions where you get them from the Hyperion lab, did you do those?

As I did mention, after beating the game I found out I missed the 2 Protoss missions (I only beat one mission and thought that was about it so I left), 3 alternative missions and 1 secret mission. That's why I ended up with 22/26, which make sense to me.
But even when I loaded the save before the final mission and went to the Mission Archive console to beat the missions that I missed, it still doesn't add up to the total number of missions I beat while I can actually count that I have beat 21/26 missions, it still shows only 19/26. :confused:

My guess is that, although doing the missions may count towards the achievement, it doesn't count toward the save file. When you reload the game before entering Char, the save file assumes you have not entered Char yet. So when you complete the missions missed, the save file still assumes you haven't gone to Char yet (even though you did on another save file). I think beating the game again after completing the missed missions will make it count towards the total.

I'm still confused but well I guess I will just have to replay again. :mad:

I'm still confused but well I guess I will just have to replay again. :mad:

Be sure that you're 23/26 before going back to Char. Since there's only 3 missions (+1 alternate), you'll otherwise be missing something.

To better understand, each save file is a completely separate entity and aren't linked to each other. If I beat the game with 26/26 completed and reload an old file before I went to Char, it'll assume I'm at 23/26.

To make it easier, here's a screenshot. As you see I beat Maw of the Void, which is a mission just right before landing on Char. From top to bottom I count a total of 21 missions I've beat but it still shows only as 19.

As I did mention, after beating the game I found out I missed the 2 Protoss missions (I only beat one mission and thought that was about it so I left), 3 alternative missions and 1 secret mission. That's why I ended up with 22/26, which make sense to me.
But even when I loaded the save before the final mission and went to the Mission Archive console to beat the missions that I missed, it still doesn't add up to the total number of missions I beat while I can actually count that I have beat 21/26 missions, it still shows only 19/26. :confused:

Ok I see, you are mainly worried that the number counter is adding up when you do missions from the archive. I'm not sure whether it would count or not, since I didn't run into that issue, but doing it from the archive does count towards the actual achievements though.

By the way, there are 4 protoss missions in total from the crystal in the lab not 2.

To make it easier, here's a screenshot. As you see I beat Maw of the Void, which is a mission just right before landing on Char. From top to bottom I count a total of 21 missions I've beat but it still shows only as 19.

2 of those missions are "alternate" ones and don't count toward the sub total. So you're actually missing 4 unique missions. Once you find/complete those, you should be 23/26 (+2 alternate missions = 25/29). After that there's 3 missions +1 alternate (4 total). 25 + 4 = 29 as the grand total.

Sorry just to add, I'm wondering if it simply isn't counting the "choice" missions. How many missions do you see in the list without double counting the 2 choice missions?

you should have -
3 initial ones
3 colonist + 1 choice
3 ghost + 1 choice
4 rebellion +1 secret
5 artifact
4 protoss

Back