The Official "Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty" Thread

Ya this game eats my RAM like crazy. I am playing on medium settings and it generally uses 90%+ of my 2gb. I had to order some new RAM. I do not see how Blizzard recommends 2gb when 2gb barely gets the job done.

2gb is barely enough for Windows dude :rolleyes:

Anyone these days depending on the platform should have 6 or 8.. it's dirt cheap too.

Agreed, this game makes alt-tabbing very sluggish.. First time in a long while where 2 GB
isnt enough :X

Believe it or not, back in the days I was told 2 GB was overkill and I should only get 1 GB

I am windows XP though

how many SP missions are there? Im finding it quite tedious. When does it end? I really dont care for the levels with dumb stipulations like day and night, and lava, etc etc. Just seems cookie cutter. Plus i cant make myself play MP until im done with SP, so i want to know when i get to do that :)

how many SP missions are there? Im finding it quite tedious. When does it end? I really dont care for the levels with dumb stipulations like day and night, and lava, etc etc. Just seems cookie cutter. Plus i cant make myself play MP until im done with SP, so i want to know when i get to do that :)

There's 29 total missions. Technically you don't have to do them all. The line that leads to char will 'finish' the campaign - I believe that's every 'matt horner' mission.

2gb is barely enough for Windows dude :rolleyes:

Anyone these days depending on the platform should have 6 or 8.. it's dirt cheap too.

2gb has been enough for EVERY game I have run. Technically, it is also enough for Starcraft 2 but I am tired of the long loads / beginning of game lag. I just wish Starcraft spread its use of hardware around a bit more. I have not seen it use more than 30% of my e6550.

Agreed, this game makes alt-tabbing very sluggish.. First time in a long while where 2 GB

Believe it or not, back in the days I was told 2 GB was overkill and I should only get 1 GB

I am windows XP though

Alt-tabbing almost instant on my rig..

Is there a guide anywhere for some of the SP achievements. Im stuck on the Zero Hour mission trying to destroy the 4 hatcheries on hard. Ive spent a least two hours trying to do it but I always seem to die upon entering the base. I usually bring about 40 marines and 10 medics.

Any pointers or direction to some guide would be great.

Is there a guide anywhere for some of the SP achievements. Im stuck on the Zero Hour mission trying to destroy the 4 hatcheries on hard. Ive spent a least two hours trying to do it but I always seem to die upon entering the base. I usually bring about 40 marines and 10 medics.

For that one, all I did was mass marine. You need about double that (I did it with 110 marine/medics + lvl 1 upgrades) The key is to hit the bottom left section, there are 3 hatches there. Then go up (beyond the stranglers on the left) and you'll see one hatch right away. You'll have about 60-40 marines left. Just focus on the hatch and forget about the rest. A key is to move your marines as close to the spore colonies as you can, then attack them. You'll make easy work of them.You need to do this before the last 1:30 I believe because then the Zerg will keep spawning and you'll never kill them all. Also, you don't need to worry about your base being defenseless. Getting the 4 hatches before your base is dead, you'll still get the achievement. Save often as well.

Keep pumping marines and medics out of multiple baracks. Rescue the other marines/medics going counterclockwise and keep killing the hatcheries on as you go along. You dont need much to defend you base and you can just ditch guarding the two bridges after a while and just guard your ramp instead. Thats the way I did it on brutal.

Yep, even the cheap low end Dells targeted at soccer moms come with 2GB memory nowadays, and those are targeted at people who just do casual web browsing. These days a gaming rig should have at minimum 4 GB memory.

Wow, I cant believe I spent this much time (almost 4 hours) on one achievement... Thanks Mr. Miyagi and TheCommander for those tips. Ultimately I ended up just sitting in my base for 15 mins building up a pure marine army of about 105 plus a second group that was made while I was attacking of about 20. I ran into the bottom most base killed those three hatcheries then to the base right above. By the time I was done I barely had any units left to defend and had to wait out the last 1.5 mintues.

Wow, I cant believe I spent this much time (almost 4 hours) on one achievement... Thanks Mr. Miyagi and TheCommander for those tips. Ultimately I ended up just sitting in my base for 15 mins building up a pure marine army of about 105 plus a second group that was made while I was attacking of about 20. I ran into the bottom most base killed those three hatcheries then to the base right above. By the time I was done I barely had any units left to defend and had to wait out the last 1.5 mintues.

I had a lot of trouble with that achievement too at the time. As it turned out, I've been attacking a base where Zerg constantly spawned lol. What I ended up doing was I filled 4 bunkers at the eastern opening of my base, pumped out a bunch of marines/medics at the eastern side, and at about 7 mins remaining I let loose on the 9 o'clock base where there were 3 hatcheries, then 1 that was north.

I am windows XP though

run the game in window mode [full screen]. it looks exactly like full screen mode but its in a window so you can alt+tab all you want and no slow downs.

run the game in window mode [full screen]. it looks exactly like full screen mode but its in a window so you can alt+tab all you want and no slow downs.

Yeah, that's what I do too. Not just for the alt-tabbing responsivenes, but it uses my computer's desktop gamma correction too (via hardware monitor calibrator). Otherwise it would end up too dark at the game's default curve, and I'd have to eyeball the rest.

I had a lot of trouble with that achievement too at the time. As it turned out, I've been attacking a base where Zerg constantly spawned lol. What I ended up doing was I filled 4 bunkers at the eastern opening of my base, pumped out a bunch of marines/medics at the eastern side, and at about 7 mins remaining I let loose on the 9 o'clock base where there were 3 hatcheries, then 1 that was north.

On Brutal I just built about 10 Reapers, 4 Medics, 8 rines and moved the main base you start in to the right corner and walled off the one ramp With a Barrax+Techlab, an Engineering Bay, and a couple of bunkers. I would wait for a zerg attack, kill them all then take my reapers out and destroy as many zerg hatcheries as I could find. I would take the reapers back to the base when I anticipated an attack and healed the reapers. Once you destroy a couple of hatcheries the attack frequency slows down a lot, I also destroyed the Spire and there were no more Mutas. :D. Killing the zerg is off is pretty easy and can be done in less than 25 minutes if you have good Reaper micro. 75% of their structures can be killed by Reapers from those high ground platforms and you don't take much damage. I would use a single reaper to lure zerg units the high ground and watch them get blow away. Once the zerg are dead it is just a matter of mining which goes quickly with the 2 CCs. I only lost a few reapers overall due to bad micro but I found 10 to be a good number to roll with.

My friend just built a decent sized army of marine and medics and stimmed through the map in about 15 mins lol. But his marco/micro is insane.

On Brutal I just built about 10 Reapers, 4 Medics, 8 rines and moved the main base you start in to the right corner and walled off the one ramp With a Barrax+Techlab, an Engineering Bay, and a couple of bunkers. I would wait for a zerg attack, kill them all then take my reapers out and destroy as many zerg hatcheries as I could find. I would take the reapers back to the base when I anticipated an attack and healed the reapers. Once you destroy a couple of hatcheries the attack frequency slows down a lot, I also destroyed the Spire and there were no more Mutas. :D. Killing the zerg is off is pretty easy and can be done in less than 25 minutes if you have good Reaper micro. 75% of their structures can be killed by Reapers from those high ground platforms and you don't take much damage. I would use a single reaper to lure zerg units the high ground and watch them get blow away. Once the zerg are dead it is just a matter of mining which goes quickly with the 2 CCs. I only lost a few reapers overall due to bad micro but I found 10 to be a good number to roll with.

My friend just built a decent sized army of marine and medics and stimmed through the map in about 15 mins lol. But his marco/micro is insane.

Reapers in Zero Hour? They don't become available until later on though. :confused:

You can re do missions ;) That, and you can go out of order to a point.

so I can only assume that once you re-do missions, you'll have everything you've unlocked already?

and how do you redo them? :confused: I haven't figured it out yet

so I can only assume that once you re-do missions, you'll have everything you've unlocked already?

and how do you redo them? :confused: I haven't figured it out yet

you should be able to by accessing the computer in the background of the bridge

I'm already bored of the game :(. It just feels like a massive step backwards compared to Company of Heroes. The absence of a cover system, lack of destructible environments, and small map size were fine ten years ago but Relic has really raised my expectations of what an RTS should be.

I also have trouble playing other FPS games now that I've played BF:BC2 as well. Maybe I'm just spoiled but I believe BF:BC2 and CoH were a step in the right direction for their genres and it's hard to go back now.

I know this much, but I don't recall having marauders in ZH when I went back to it. I do have bad memory though.

That's because you don't get units and upgrades that you couldn't originally have when you did the mission. That's why the achievement to destroy 4 zerg hatcheries is so damn hard on that map. I don't know what that guy is talking about with the Marauders... maybe he got his missions mixed up.

I'm trying to do all the achievements as I progress, but I had to give up on Zero Hour (mission 3) for now. Very frustrating. But even when I went back, none of my upgrades carried over.

I am windows XP though
I've got 4GB on win7 64-bit and SC2 has crashed from consuming too much memory. Resource Monitor was showing >2GB usage from the game alone. Alt-Tabbing is also super slow.

When you use the mission archives, to redo missions, you DO NOT have access to units you did not have, when you tried the mission the first time.

I tried this, as I wanted to use reapers for Zero hour, to get the best defense achievement. This was NOT possible, so I ended up massing units and attacking the top left base, at about the 8 minute mark (right after a zerg wave). After I killed the two hatcheries, and the base defenses, I ran out to the middle left underpass, waited for the zerg to rebuild the hatcheries, and then ran up and destroyed them again, just before the mission ended.

When you use the mission archives, to redo missions, you DO NOT have access to units you did not have, when you tried the mission the first time.

I tried this, as I wanted to use reapers for Zero hour, to get the best defense achievement. This was NOT possible, so I ended up massing units and attacking the top left base, at about the 8 minute mark (right after a zerg wave). After I killed the two hatcheries, and the base defenses, I ran out to the middle left underpass, waited for the zerg to rebuild the hatcheries, and then ran up and destroyed them again, just before the mission ended.

Draax, you rock. I've destroyed that same base several times while trying to do that achievement, but for some reason it never dawned on me to just hang out, let them rebuild, and destroy them again. Thanks for the idea.

I'm already bored of the game :(. It just feels like a massive step backwards compared to Company of Heroes. The absence of a cover system, lack of destructible environments, and small map size were fine ten years ago but Relic has really raised my expectations of what an RTS should be.

I also have trouble playing other FPS games now that I've played BF:BC2 as well. Maybe I'm just spoiled but I believe BF:BC2 and CoH were a step in the right direction for their genres and it's hard to go back now.

I agree Chineseman, almost 4 years later and Company of Heroes still set the standard for RTS, imo. Can't say that I'm tired of SC2 though, but I can say that I still enjoy CoH more than SC2.

Draax, you rock. I've destroyed that same base several times while trying to do that achievement, but for some reason it never dawned on me to just hang out, let them rebuild, and destroy them again. Thanks for the idea.

That was a very tough achievement, I had to try it a few times. You don't have to wait until the hatcheries are totally rebuilt, as long as they have started construction they are fair game.

I found the missions, where you have to prevent the protoss from capping any wells, on hard, to be harder. Reapers did the trick, in that mission.

i started the game on hard but have since moved down to medium. the protoss missions especially seem to be very punishing if you don't know the right counter units. i'm going to finish the play through on normal and just enjoy the story and learn the units better. i'll go through again on hard for the challenge, probably avoid brutal at all.

if i missed a couple of the protoss upgrades, do i need to replay the missions or will i the opportunity to get enough upgrade items to max out my upgrades?

As far I could tell, no new upgrades/mercs are allowed when doing past missions. I don't know about most of the maps on brutal, but pretty much the key to most maps on hard is massing the new units the map introduces. There are a few maps where this is worthless though, (all protoss maps, vultures, firebats etc ).

if i missed a couple of the protoss upgrades, do i need to replay the missions or will i the opportunity to get enough upgrade items to max out my upgrades?

There are more research points, then you can use, although once you max out Zerg or Protoss research, mobius pays you for any additional points. The additional money is very Useful for upgrades or mercenaries.

so if I don't get all the research icons in a mission, i can go back and replay that mission and try to get them all?

You can actually i believe just load an earlier save in the mission and do it. I know I've gone back and just did this to get certain achievements, since I didn't know what they were until the mission ended such as killing all enemy units and etc.

great thanks, I'm looking forward to doing that. I didn't get all the research points I possibly could so far, so I'll need to go back and re-do those missions and get er done.

I spent all my credits buying the mercenaries and the upgrades for the firebats and the marines.

I really like the firebat upgrade to increase their flamethrower area of effect.

Sizzlin zergling steak coming right up!

On a side note, I like what I see of the story and how it's presented. I'm not gonna pretend to be some kind of grand critic like a few people seem to be on here and try to make the story out to be like it's some kind of perfect novel like Ernest Hemingway would write, but I think it's pretty standard fare, and what makes the difference to me is in how it's presented. I think the voice work and the cinematics are really well done, and that makes a LOT of difference to me when you're presenting your storyline.

But then again, if I want a well done storyline, I'll read an R.A. Salvatore novel, speaking of him, they should ask him to write the material for the Protoss and Zerg campaigns, I bet he could make it a lot better.

If anyone has a trial key they wouldn't mind parting with, I'd love to give the game a try. I can't remember the last RTS I've played but after all the praise going around it may be time to play the genre again.

Back