The official Sony E3 thread. (Killzone, wipeoutHD etc)

vudoo

Limp Gawd
KillZone 2

Great HD trailer.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21504.html

Offical press release
11/07/2007 09:00
INTRODUCING KILLZONE™ 2, THE ULTIMATE FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER FOR PLAYSTATION®3
Highly Anticipated Follow-Up to the Top-Selling Killzone™ Delivers Next-Gen Gameplay, Stunning High Definition Graphics, and Ultra-Realistic Combat

SANTA MONICA, Calif., July 11, 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. announced the 2008 release of Killzone™ 2, available exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system. Developed by Guerrilla Games, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment, Killzone 2 throws players back into the midst of a hostile and dramatic ongoing battle between the ISA and Helghast army. Following events and action from the original Killzone for PlayStation®2, Killzone 2 sets a new standard for next-gen gaming by delivering intense warfare with incredibly lifelike character animations, highly detailed and destructible environments, realistic physics, and advanced levels of artificial intelligence (A.I.).

Unveiled for the first time Tuesday evening at an exclusive media event in Santa Monica, the Killzone 2 demo awed guests with action-packed sequences full of detail and game variety, sure to draw players right into the heart of battle. Once again set in an extreme post-modern war, Killzone 2 utilizes the power of PLAYSTATION 3 to deliver a striking graphical style that showcases a gritty realism unique to the Killzone franchise.

“There have rightly been high expectations for Killzone 2 since we shared the vision for the title back in 2005,” said Phil Harrison, president, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios. “Guerrilla have worked hard to focus the power of PLAYSTATION 3 to realize their true vision for the game. With incredible action, drama-fueled gameplay sequences, and a vast array of weapons and vehicles, Killzone 2 defines a new benchmark of our industry.”

Two years after the Helghast assault on Vekta, the ISA is bringing the fight to the enemy’s home world of Helghan. Taking the role of Sev, the battle-hardened veteran of the special forces unit known as the Legion, players will embark upon a mission to the planet Helghan to capture the Helghast leader, Emperor Visari, and bring the enemy’s war machine to a halt. For Sev and his squad, the invasion of Helghan is just the beginning. Tasked with securing Pyrrhus, the Capital City, the team quickly discovers that the Helghast are a formidable enemy on their home planet. Not only have they adjusted to the planet’s hostile conditions, they have also harnessed a source of power from the environment that can be used against the ISA. Sev and his team soon discover the fight is greater than simply addressing the enemy forces; the Legion must also learn how to handle the effects of the fierce enemy planet.

With an extensive, story-driven single-player mode and thrilling multiplayer mode, Killzone 2 offers a host of new elements that caters to both hardcore and casual gamers alike. The game features highly atmospheric environments that respond accurately to weapon fire as players storm through the world of Helghan. The harsh climate and conditions of Helghan are also a factor, forcing players to adapt new tactics to survive. Proprietary tools and technology such as deferred rendering techniques are implemented to create advanced effects, such as ultra-vivid and detailed character animations and environments. Advanced cinematic effects are used to provide unprecedented visuals, including motion blur, internal lens reflections, and depth-based color grading that will let players experience gameplay that is sharp, detailed, and vibrant. Additionally, Killzone 2 supports 7.1 surround with location-specific audio, providing players the opportunity to experience sound and music that are not only dynamic but in context to indoor and outdoor locations.

KZ26.jpg

KZ25.jpg

KZ24.jpg

KZ23.jpg

53gh06a.gif

Looks quite stunning, probably the best console game I have seen thus far.
Each level in killzone is 2 gigs.

Great writeup from IGN.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/803/803129p1.html

WipeoutHD
-is comming via PSN download
-1080p
-all the original tracks and vehicles
-online multiplayer

More as its announced today

Although I highly doubt they are going to do this, I really REALLY want them to announce a new PSP.

hard to believe how much they pulled off with killzone 2, i must admit i didnt think it would be close to this.

Im really excited for that WipeoutHD game.

i'm glad to see an online remake of wipeout available on the PSN.

perhaps it will even have a respectable price tag.

the game looks amazing, hopefully it doesn't disappoint like Killzone 1

Killzone will be a must have for me unless something goes horribly wrong.

It would figure they put out a HD version of Wipeout just after I buy the old PS1 version off the store to relive some fun times.

That game should look damn good in widescreen HD.

The animation and lightning look very nice in Killzone so far.

The blood looks very 300-esque.

(Engadget)

11:30 PDT -- Ok, we're seated, and things are getting started. Swirling images on four massive displays, like the flowing background on the PS3.

11:32 PDT - Opening promo movie coming up, kaleidoscopes of PS3 and PSP, but no gameplay. "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Mr. Jack Tretton."

11:33 PDT - "We're extremely excited to unveil all our plans for the PS brand this year." Showing around Home. "We've already had our public beta going on for months, and this is the Home square."

11:36 PDT - Jack's out, wishing he had his regular "death grip" on a podium. We "have a few other tricks up our sleeves, you'll be seeing games, games, and more games ... we're squeezing over 50 titles. Into this presentation."

(Not looking good for any big announcements)

11:41 PDT - Showing PSP titles: Socom: US navy Seals tacitical strike, Wipeout Pulse, Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow, NBA 08, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Silent Hill Origins, Patapon, tiger Woods PGA Tour 08, Sonic Rivals 2, SWAT: Target Libterty, Final Fanrtasy Tactics: War of the Lions,Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles -- "We're loving this 2D/3D look, and Castlevanis is one of the best looking examples to date."

11:44 PDT - Hope you enjoyed that look at some of the great games coming out for PSP. In total there are more than 140 games coming to PSP in North America, when you match those games with other features in the PSP, you quickly understand why this handheld is truly unique

11:45 PDT - Jack is back in Home. "I thought I'd take the opportunity to pop back into Home to show you my tricked out apartment. I left the door open, so I hope some of the hot chicks will wander in."

Jack: "Hey, Kaz! What are you doing here?! Are you going to show us Riiiidge Racer?" (Kaz's avatar is playing a PSP in Home)

Kaz: "Do you mind staying here while I show off some things?"

Jack: "No problem, I'll just chill here on the deck."

Kaz: ""We are introducing the world to the evolution of the PSP ... What I'm holding is the newest version of the PSP, which will be available in September. It's not too different, it still has UMD and the same screen, but once you have it in your hand, youll see the difference. It's 33% lighter, 19% slimmer, and the battery is much improved." (It looks just like a PSP. It doesn't look any slimmer to us ... seriously, it looks the smae. We're sure side by side hte difference will be quite apparent, but not here. )

11:48 PDT - "It can also output high quality video. You could hook it up to your Bravia HDTV, so everyone can only your PSP." Wow, video ouput. This is a truly killer feature, not only in terms of playing your PSP games at home but enjoying your UMDs (if you're into that sort of thing) on a normal screen. You see, this is a trailer for Spider-Man 2, which is out on Blu-ray from Sony Home Enterainment. So now, I press the display button, and as you see it's not playing on the flatscreen behind me." The Spider-Man 2 trailer must be high-defish. Playback on a giant projection screen is impressive.This ain't no 480x272.

11:49 PDT - "You can control what you're seeing, I'll pause it, get rid of the menu, etc. If you want the video back on your PSP, push the display button again and it's back on your PSP. You can play games, videos, show photos, all of that on a tv screen or your PSP. With DLNA, you can also access the files on your PC at home via your PSP. This sparks the imagination, and encourages developers and players alike to think beyond the norm." We envision a bizarre future world where we stream computer video to the PS3 to the PSP over RemotePlay and then video output to a friend's HDTV. Sure, we'll only use this feature once ... but it's cool nevertheless. "As you can see it comes in piano black, but there are some additional colors that are coming to North America, which Jack will show off in a moment."

11:51 PDT - Jack is back on stage, cracks some jokes (he's here all week folks!), the crowd eats it up though. See, they're not so bad. "So, as Kaz mentioned, the PSP comes in piano black, but it also comes in Ice Silver. We plan to offer it in an entertainment pack, including a 1 gig card and Daxter. We're also offering the Family Guy Peter Griffin "Frickin' Sweet' edition. "We're also offering another color, and I've brought a special person to help introduce this color. Ladies and gentlemen, Chewbacca!" Chewbacca enters stage right to the score of star Wars. Wookie banter fills the auditorium. He's holding a star Wars -themed PSP and pPromoting the Star Wars Battlefront pack, includes white PSP with Darth Vader's image on the back. jack and Chewy go back and forth -- it's endearing.

11:54 PDT - "Thanks for joining us Chewie, I know you've come a long way, and I see you've got your Sony PSP Battlefront Pack with you. It's a white PSP that features Darth Vader's image on the front." Chewie ROARS! "No Chewie, you can't have that one for free, but you will be able to buy it soon."

11:57 PDT - Phil Harrison enters stage right. Naturally, he dwarfs Jack ... we wonder exactly how tall Phil is. "Thank you everyone. As Jack was pointing out, we have the ability to develop downloadable games that help drive the technology. For example, the PS3 has a huge hard drive, and that allows us to create the highest quality game expereinces, just like you'd expect to see on a disc-based product. We have more than 80 1st-party games available for download and in development that will be available by the end of the year."

11:59 PDT - "Every generation has a puzzle game that helps to define it, and today I'm introducing to you for the first time in the world, echochrome." Least graphics, most gameplay is their angle. An MC Escheresque world on screen with a stick figure man walking around. Think Jenga blocks plus stick figure man plus acid. The graphcs, while minimalistic, are really quite beautiful. They're crisp, clear, and dare we say elegant. The classical music gives the whole experience a real air of sophistication. Where's our smoking jacket?

12:01PM PDT - That's game #1, four more to go. "I have four more games I'd like to share, the 1st ... in eye-blistering 1080p and 60fps is Wipeout HD; the next one is Pain; the third is the online combat games par excellence, WarHawk; and Socom: US Navy Seals Confrontation. Let's take a look at them."

12:03PM PDT - Wipeout HD looks like ... well, Wipeout. But Pain on the other hand, this we can get used to. Maybe it's our sadistic side, but we'd really like fling that guy into a truck.

12:04PM PDT - Incognito's Dylan Jobe is on screen talking Warhawk. We're treated to plane, tank, and uh ... foot battles. "Warhawk is an incredibly fast-paced multiplayer game. You can play at home, or with your buddies online. It's incredibly immersive, yet at the same time, there's a huge war taking place all around you."

12:04PM PDT - Slant Six Games David Seymour talks Socom. SOCOM Confrontation is Socom's first appearance on the next generation. The game is purchased online, and downloaded to your HD. As a result, the game runs purely off of your HD. It will be on Bluray and in the PS Store this holiday season." The game is purchased directly from PlayStation Store ... but also Blu-ray, not unlike Warhawk.

12:05PM PDT - Phil: "I think those five games alone show the power and potential of the PS3 , and of things to come. Now let's turn back to the thing that we started off with, the PS Home . We've made some important new additions to the service, and I'd like to share them with you. We have the Home client now running on a mobile phone. The touchpoints and community experience of home are expanding to the mobile environment." (The Home client can run on a mobile phone!)

12:07PM PDT - "Now let's look at the new Home square that will be replacing the current Lounge lobby. This open air experience has more room for expansion over time. We'll be launching new spaces all the time for you to buy and customize, and add to your own space over time. Here I am in my new Space, a Norwegian ski lodge. Here inside, I've got a SingStar unit set up. It's the leading music game on the planet, with more than 10 million units and 300 million songs sold. It ships on Bluray, but is extended through the PSN and the Home experience." He's taking a group photograph. Fond memories of the GDC 2007 keynote flash back to us ... we were so young then and Phil wowed us with that Home demo. A new open air field is replacing the lounge area they'd previously showed off. The new space looks like a city square,. Think DisneyLand style new urbanism. Now a video montage of some of the new spaces.

12:10PM PDT - Singstar dev. "When you think about it, it's like iTunes meets MySpace."

12:10PM PDT - Phil: "As you can see, these spaces are fully immersive living spaces. What?! Look! That photo I took from my phone is now online. Live media blogging from the virtual world to the real world!" The photo -- a not very attractive cameraphone shot -- is already live on his wall in Home. It's a meta, live, blogging thing. Sorta like what we're doing here. But with more money.

12:11PM PDT - They're showing a social networking site for Home. This is like MySpace meets MySpace. "We can push content from Home out to a web browser, it's our social networking site for Home, which we're showing for the first time. It has live, automatic blogging from inside of Home. You can meet, socialize, talk about games ... and play games."
12:12PM PDT - "Here's a new feature, and that will be available when we launch in the Fall. You can jump into any game from inside the Home environment. Since I'm in the proper attire for Motorstorm, let's go for a race." : They just launched a game of MotorStorm, playing Eagle's Nest -- a new track available next month (let's hope there's no delays on this one). Phil's not using MotorStorm's nearly impossible to control Sixaxis controls. He stops the demo just as his pickup truck flies over a cliff Thelma and Louise style. "It's not just multiplayer games that can be launched from Home, but any game. When you're done with the game, you simple quit the game and you're dropped back into Home. Publishers will be creating their own unique lounges for their games, it's not just limited to your personal apartment."

12:15PM PDT - Jack's back! "The new PS3 went into effect on Monday, and our sales have doubled at our top five retailers. In fact, one of those retailers might have slipped the new price a bit early." (Laughter). That 80GB drive? It's for the online downloading enthusiast ... whoever they are. Jack cracks another joke that us bloggers just chew up -- one retailer was so excited they slipped their ad a little early. We love it Jack! Keep it coming.

12:18PM PDT - He's crunching numbers on the great HD DVD versus Blu-ray wars of '06 and '07. "We're totally convinced that Blu-ray was the right way to go, and the message is more than getting home to consumers. Blu-ray dvd discs are enjoying a sales figure of more than two to one over HD-DVD, including the Blu-ray drive in the PS3 helps make the console future-proof."

12:18PM PDT - "Let's start with our partners games first. We're providing them with the tools they need to develop great games for the PS3. We're very pleased to announce that NCSoft will be joining the PlayStation camp. You probably know them from Lineage, City of Heroes, and Guild Wars. Very soon, they'll be brining that to the PS3 exclusively." Wow, Sony has managed to nab exclusivity to NCSoft's online games, based on current and new IPs. "Only the PSN can support the types of games NCSoft has become famous for." Are we gonna see Richard Garriots Vanguard on PS3 exclusively?

12:20PM PDT - "From a new addition, to a lifelong member .. Ubisoft. This fall they'll be bringing a new title to the PS3 .. Haze. Let's take a look..." Footage of Haze reveals some more details, including "playing dead." You're fighting the yellow-masked guys... "Today I am reborn, not it's time to set things right." Sounds like someone's gone renegade! "That looks great, and it's very exciting to have Haze as a PS3 exclusive." If you want to play Haze this holiday, you'll need to do it on PlayStation 3 first. That answers that little exclusivity mystery.

12:24PM PDT - "The engine for this next game became one of the standards in the industry, and that game is Unreal. Sony has signed a multi-part agreement with Midway and Epic, and we're working closely with Epic to adjust the Unreal engine to the PS3 to use it to the best of its potential." First stage: working with Epic to optimize the Unreal engine for the PlayStation 3. Unreal Tournament III confirmed as PS3 exclusive this year -- another timed exclusive. You'll also be able to share mods between the PC and PS3 platforms. Very, very cool. With Microsoft's announcements yesterday, and Sony's today, it sounds like Epic is probably looking for some more office space to store all their piles of cash. We've got some leftover office space here, fellas. Just call us.

12:26PM PDT - Videos of more games: Like Microsoft last night, Sony is showing off Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Assasin's Creed (we love that Unkle trailer. Seriously, just play it one more time for us Sony). Also, like Microsft (but a little more in depth) a look at Kane and Lynch Dead Men, a game we're still pretty in the dark about. Again, just like Microsoft, we've got Resident Evil 5. This is like going to a party, seeing that other person you hate, and finding that you're wearing the same outfit. Oh, the shame! We've also got brief looks at Burnout 5 Paradise, Madden NFL 08, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: The Videogame, The Simpsons Game (we're seriously hearting the cel-shaded graphics), Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, Medal of Honor: Airborne and Rock Band ... Jack has to force the crowd to applaud.

12:33PM PDT - "There's one last third party exclusive I'd like to share ... this franchise has been a fixture on our consoles since the beginning, and it's only on PLayStation 3. Ladies and gentelemen, Hideo Kojima."

12:33PM PDT - "Hello everyone. I safely made it, again, to this E3. Well, the game Metal Gear, known as a stealth game, is celebrating it's 20th anniversary come July). Well, I've been creating this metal Gear franchise for over 20 years, over many platforms, and this MGS4 will be the final part of the series. The story of Snake will end with this one and me, as a game creator, this will be my last to end with this series. So, all the story plot, the characters, the mysteries, will be revealed. And the game itself will be a stealth game, with new elements of the battlefield. I promise you I'm putting all my effort, all my skills..."

12:36PM PDT - They're going to show off the new trailer they promised -- the first with English dialog. Oh Snake, you sound so old. We'll always say we knew you when. Everything's in game ... and it looks incredible. We don't know how you do it Kojima-san, but you never cease to impress us.

12:37PM PDT - His job: kill the new mustachioed Liquid. Again. Soldiers flail on teh ground, suffering from the effects of Foxdie. Whoa ... an epic battle between the new (and totally badass) Raiden and a long haired gentleman. We can barely pull our eyes away, but we still would have loved to see some actual gameplay. Video finishes with "Simultaneous Worldwide Release."

12:42PM PDT - "Sorry, this time because of time we only have the traiiler, but in Tokyo we will have a demo, playable."
Still adding...

Can load home up on your phone...Cool, better be able to do it from my iphone biatches! (I am sure Samsung's are going to be the ones that are supported?)

user created "environments" that people can show off to their friends? ask myspace.

I have a feeling that's gonna be very limited, and I hate how they are calling UT3 a PS3 exclusive, it's on the PC too...

humorously it'll probably end up like VF5 and various other titles, with the superior version on 360 down the road.

However, that said, with Unreal Tournament there is no question: The PC version will be THE best version, hands down.

Honestly, Sony's E3 presentation was better than the other two combined, and I expected that. Home - meh... but they've got some titles coming.

Its pretty close.. they just have to dirty up the character models to fit the game a little more. The death animations are pretty nice. I like how that one helghast guy was getting shot in hte stomach and he keeled over and died in his own pool of blood.

Well from what I watched

-the games are coming
-home still doesn’t look that appealing
-the killzone gameplay surpassed my expectations

But overall I would say the presentation was well done.

Honestly, Sony's E3 presentation was better than the other two combined, and I expected that.

Yeah, definitely.

It was a great conference, filled with great games. The only downside I can think of was the Star Wars PSP... I mean, who gives a shit? It's worse than the Halo 360. :eek:

But yeah, Killzone 2 looks amazing. I'm extremely mad @ G4 playing the trailer rather than the guy playing the damn game, though!!!!
Ughhh... fuckers.

I do agree that this was probably the best planned out conference, but a lot of things still bugged me especially crap about pushing blu ray. Another thing, why didn't they have mgs4 as the keynote, instead of the killzone stuff?

anyone notice how G4 will show a minute and a half clip and then go back to another commercial, god I hate them.

Back