The Official "Smash Brothers Brawl" Thread

ok thanks. I added some people and requested them to add me. But it says "awaiting registration" Does that mean they have not added me yet?

Also i did manage to play a random match with strangers but now it does not work anymore. weird. It seems to work sporadically.

Just wanted to throw this out there. Me and my friends played exclusively the multiplayer mode all day yesterday and we managed to unlock characters like Sonic, and a couple of others. We didn't even touch the SSE mode.

gamefaqs walkthrough said:
How to Unlock Sonic-

1. Play 300 VS matches, then beat him in a match.

DAMN! That's a lot of Brawl!

DAMN! That's a lot of Brawl!

No kidding. I've been playing it pretty heavily myself, but I've only unlocked the characters from the Subspace Emissary mode - Snake, Marth, Falco, Captain Falcon, Lucario, and Mr. Game & Watch.

I took my kids out on Saturday night at midnight, not telling them where we were going, and we picked this game up at the local Sam's Club in Addison and DAMN its been a blast ever since! Finally a game that can be played with my three kids (12, 9, and 5) and myself (32) at the same time and my 5 year old can still do some damage just mashing buttons. Anyhow, 4 player Brawl just kicks much ass and we just unlocked Sonic! Now, how do we unlock Snake... hmmm =) Instant classic for the Wii.

I wish theyd iron out the server issues, i want to play online and its no dice. =\

I just played for about an hour and a half online with a friend -- it worked pretty well. It was maybe a LITTLE laggy, but that might have been me (or him) I mean it was only ever so slightly. He said it seemed fluid, but having played a lot of single player, I noticed a very very slight amount of response slowness.

I imagine it'll get better :). Anyway, it was still very enjoyable to play online.

I played for a couple of hours today. At first the game seemed sluggish compared to Melee, but I got used to it after a while and it actually feels a little more fluid to me now. I'm still sticking with Samus, although I haven't unlocked too many characters yet(Luigi, Marth, Falcon, I think that's about it). I can't wait to try Sonic, although unfortunately I have to play through the entire Subspace Emissary mode first. It is pretty fun though, definitely much better than I was expecting. The game definitely has a massive amount of content though, I didn't even get a chance to try out the online. Overall I'm loving the game, although I'm definitely going to need more time with it.

I took my kids out on Saturday night at midnight, not telling them where we were going, and we picked this game up at the local Sam's Club in Addison and DAMN its been a blast ever since! Finally a game that can be played with my three kids (12, 9, and 5) and myself (32) at the same time and my 5 year old can still do some damage just mashing buttons. Anyhow, 4 player Brawl just kicks much ass and we just unlocked Sonic! Now, how do we unlock Snake... hmmm =) Instant classic for the Wii.

i hope to do that someday if i ever have manbabies

This is the first time I've ever played one of these Super Smash games so yeah, I suck, but so far my favorite character has been Lucas. Not sure why he is but I feel more at home playing as him. I would really like to play this online but I keep dropping out. If Nintendo had a service like Xbox Live, this game would easily be at the top of the charts. Oh well... yay for friend codes I guess. :rolleyes:

I definitely love the new smash rendition, it is quite a bit slower then Melee which means you need to be much more careful with your moves but it's still very fun.

I've unlocked all the characters and don't really have a favorite yet. But I am leaning towards Wolf, he's just super cool and has a good mix between speed and power. He almost has the gritty fox feel of the N64 game which I loved.

As for other characters I feel like all of them are decently good... really don't worry about tiers in Brawl just pick your favorite character and have a blast.

Anyone else notice that lag doesn't seem universal? For instance, if one person's connection sucks, I'm noticing that they might be the only one who sees that. I was playing last night and my buddy was complaining about lag and slowdown, but it looked fine on my TV. He's got no reason to lie as he's better than I am...so I wonder if that's why some people are seeing lag while others aren't. My connection's (per speedtest) is 26K down and 1.5K up...maybe I'm not seeing it as a result?

My connection's (per speedtest) is 26K down and 1.5K up...maybe I'm not seeing it as a result?

With that kind of connection, you're the one causing the lag. Are you tied to a 28.8 modem or something?

Is there any way to see how good of a signal strength your Wii is getting from your wireless?

I haven't been able to connect to play online yet but I have connected to games as a spectator so I know I'm connecting but I'm not finding any game when I try to play online.

Besides that the game has been great I wish the SSE would hurry up and finish so I can unlock Sonic!

It was ok, I saw a big difference from the other smash bros. I like the old ones better.

I haven't been able to connect to play online yet but I have connected to games as a spectator so I know I'm connecting but I'm not finding any game when I try to play online.

Besides that the game has been great I wish the SSE would hurry up and finish so I can unlock Sonic!

I heard Sonic is a hard character to unlock. Yesterday I picked up this game and played with 3 friends in VS mode for about 6-7 hours. We unlocked Ness, Marth, Luigi, and Sonic. I have no idea how I got Sonic as everyone else I know has yet to unlock him. Anyone have any idea how we got lucky and unlocked him? We probably played about 25-40 matches in those 6 hours.

Sonic unlocks when you finish SSE or when you complete 300 versus matches...

So you are:

A - Lying
B - Grossly underestimating the number of games you played, or
C - Lucky that your copy is somehow glitched (which is unlikely considering the production method of the DVD's)

Unlocking Sonic is super easy, just beat classic mode with 10 characters.

With that kind of connection, you're the one causing the lag. Are you tied to a 28.8 modem or something?

Err...sorry, by "K" I mean "thousand"

D: 26,453 kb/s
U: 1,641 kb/s

My buddy's download speed is only about 1/2 that although luckily his upload is close. Plus, I guess you have to factor in our Xbox Live bandwidth for chatting, too. Still, he's getting lag and I'm really not.

Sonic is the last character you get in SSE, but you can also clear classic mode with 10 characters or play 300 matches. IMHO, hes not as good as he should be.

Man, SSE is the most aggravating experience, espicially that last "level".

I wouldn't even bother if I wasn't a completionist, and wanted to finish the challenge for beating it.

The damn story makes 0 sense, imo, espicially near the end.

I'm maybe halfway through, and still enjoying the story ;). It's not winning any awards, but its fun and thats all i care about.

Man, SSE is the most aggravating experience, espicially that last "level".

I wouldn't even bother if I wasn't a completionist, and wanted to finish the challenge for beating it.

The damn story makes 0 sense, imo, espicially near the end.

SSE was a waste of resources, IMO. I don't mind a little FMV but it was put to lame use. They should have made the menu interface of higher quality (what is with this big colorful preschool interface?) and ditched the whole SSE. Again, terrible allocation of funds. I don't care about plot in a fighting game, and I'm sure 100% of the world feels the same.

i disagree with you,
i find the menu fine and SSE pretty fun playing coop with my brothers

buffbiff21 said:
SSE was a waste of resources, IMO. I don't mind a little FMV but it was put to lame use. They should have made the menu interface of higher quality (what is with this big colorful preschool interface?) and ditched the whole SSE. Again, terrible allocation of funds. I don't care about plot in a fighting game, and I'm sure 100% of the world feels the same.

I completely agree. The "story" is more or less a joke, its just a lot of fmv and random levels thrown together to give the player something to do. I can't imagine how much time it took to throw that all together. I mean, its not bad, its kinda fun, but the way its all pieced together is completely nonsensical, and they would have been better served spending that time enhancing the rest of the game. SSE will be forgotten/ignored by most players after the first week they own the game anyway.

I like SSE, but you do have to pretty much disregard the story. For me it's just a matter of learning the characters and having fun with the levels. Granted I'm only like 55% done, but I've had fun with everything so far. The game controls and dynamics lend themselves to platforming a lot better than I figured. I've seen comparisons drawn to "Devil Within" mode from Tekken 5, and it's 1000X better than that!
Like others have mentioned, though...it can be tedious. Some levels just keep going and going and going and only give you 1-2 lives...yet sometimes you'll get upwards are 4-5 lives for a level with one enemy or level that's only a single section. It's just odd how the difficulty spikes randomly.
The nice thing is that you don't have to play it to unlock characters. There seems to be an alternate way of getting all of them...or at least I think there is!

The alternate way of getting the characters is something like being in 450 fights to unlock most of them - sadly, it's easier to put the 8 hours into SSE and unlock every single character.

I unlocked Falco by completing the 100 man brawl, and thought I was the shit, then I see I could have just done SSE and got him that way.

I did the 100-man Brawl in about 2.5 minutes using Samus (the screw attack is an automatic launch for weak enemies, so just try to catch a few guys in it and it's easy as pie), although I did still play through SSE, mainly to get Sonic. Aside from the last level which was a massive pain in the ass, I enjoyed it quite a bit for the most part. The plot doesn't make much sense, but the levels themselves are fun. So far I've unlocked everyone except for Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff.

Had a nice round of playing it with the family online tonight - gotta say, the multiplayer is just insane. If only my dad would stop spamming Ness' fireball...

I completely agree. The "story" is more or less a joke, its just a lot of fmv and random levels thrown together to give the player something to do. I can't imagine how much time it took to throw that all together. I mean, its not bad, its kinda fun, but the way its all pieced together is completely nonsensical, and they would have been better served spending that time enhancing the rest of the game. SSE will be forgotten/ignored by most players after the first week they own the game anyway.

Yeah, I gave up trying to figure out what was going on at the part where.. wait, what am I saying, none of it made any sense at all. I gave up trying to figure it out about 5 minutes in.

Depends on the fighting game. Some the plot can help. Games like this which pull together a bunch of characters from other games though don't really need one. It is like the background story to mario party. Who cares?

Well, I now have everyone except Wolf, Jigglypuff, and Toon Link.
Sonic's actually pretty good once you get used to him. He's like Olimar in that regard. At first he seems simplistic, but you can disguise lots of things with him. It's also nice that most of his dashes won't roll off of platforms if you don't want them too.
ROB = the easiest character to pick up and annihilate people with. No clue how he is at higher levels, but if you're just screwing around, he's insanely powerful.
I'm sure most people likely don't enjoy him, but I'm liking what they did with Gannondorf. His low smash now hits people in both directions and they made several of his moves into hitscan throws. I always favor the grapplers, so that's just something I personally enjoy. He's no longer such a Captain Falcon clone.
I still think Ike is too strong thus far. He has too many moves that hit people in all directions, his uppercut move is spammable, his counter's as good as Marth's, and he's just got too much reach.

Well, I now have everyone except Wolf, Jigglypuff, and Toon Link.
Sonic's actually pretty good once you get used to him. He's like Olimar in that regard. At first he seems simplistic, but you can disguise lots of things with him. It's also nice that most of his dashes won't roll off of platforms if you don't want them too.
ROB = the easiest character to pick up and annihilate people with. No clue how he is at higher levels, but if you're just screwing around, he's insanely powerful.
I'm sure most people likely don't enjoy him, but I'm liking what they did with Gannondorf. His low smash now hits people in both directions and they made several of his moves into hitscan throws. I always favor the grapplers, so that's just something I personally enjoy. He's no longer such a Captain Falcon clone.
I still think Ike is too strong thus far. He has too many moves that hit people in all directions, his uppercut move is spammable, his counter's as good as Marth's, and he's just got too much reach.

Ike is powerful but his attacks are easy to avoid as well so I don't use him too much. Now if you like power wait until you unlock Wolf, he moves at a decent speed and has a awesome mix of speed and power, he's my favorite so far but I'm still playing random characters because all of them seem to be good, I make sure I learn how to play every character well so I know what tactics the opponent might use on me.

Has anyone gotten the random match against anyone thing online (i.e. no friend code) to work? I keep getting an endless wait, or if it isn't endless, it disconnects with an error :(.

Has anyone gotten the random match against anyone thing online (i.e. no friend code) to work? I keep getting an endless wait, or if it isn't endless, it disconnects with an error :(.
This is known-broken right now. Nintendo has not given us any kind of ETA when online will finally start working.

Also, I find it absolutely disgusting that a game with almost totally broken online is getting a free pass by the same gaming blogs that lambast Microsoft and Sony whenever their online services go down for even a few hours.

This is known-broken right now. Nintendo has not given us any kind of ETA when online will finally start working.

Also, I find it absolutely disgusting that a game with almost totally broken online is getting a free pass by the same gaming blogs that lambast Microsoft and Sony whenever their online services go down for even a few hours.

Yeah it sucks BUT Nintendo is setting up more servers so it should be cleared up in a few weeks or even sooner.

Back