The Official "Smash Brothers Brawl" Thread

I just don't understand the hype for this game. I played the last version for 5 minutes until I had to put it down.

It's like Halo and Gears of War. It's the only "decent" game on the system so the fan boys go apeshit for it :D

It's like Halo and Gears of War. It's the only "decent" game on the system so the fan boys go apeshit for it :D

You wouldn't understand, these are the kinds of games that are only fun with a bunch of friends, and when you do get some friends maybe you will be able to enjoy them like the rest of us because smash is basically the best multiplayer "party" game ever made

I've only played against one person online, but my match was actually virtually lag-free. I was even using voice chat on the 360 at the same time, too.
I actually really like the single-player emissary mode. It's insanely long, but I'm enjoying it.

For the game, I'm finding that Ike = scarily strong. His uppercut works almost too well just because you can't really hit him out of it. Mix that in with some of his d+b counters and a smash or two and I'd say he's the complete package. His super smash is also insanely good.

Snake's pretty good but I think playing against him has a learning curve. After 2-3 matches I started to catch on to how to play him and started winning all of them.

ROB = scary the few times I played against him. My buddy had just unlocked him and was more or less mashing...but was ripping my Starfox apart.

Anyone play Metaknight against Pit? WORSE MATCH EVER. Way too much flying around, way too many multi-hit moves with no power, and way too little action. No matter how good you are, this match is the ugliest one in the whole game.

Ness and Lucas seem to be pretty weak. All of their psychic moves are stronger, but they delay like nobodies business. If you eat a strong hit while doing any of them...see ya.

Final thought: Link's upward sword smash (the triple swipe) is virtually broken. I've seen him launch people off the screen when their damage was only at 30%...on 3 occasions. I dunno if there's some other weird property to it, but I had my jaw hanging open when my wife was playing last night.

so far Ike is my favorite, his charge up forward A attack is deadly. I've been enjoying the space emisary thingy but im mainly doin it for sonic lol.

Everyones kinda down on SSE (Sub space emisary) but I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. I had to tear myself away from it at 2am. Everyones all "I wish it had dialogue", I think it does a great job without dialogue.

Yeah, I'm not understanding the dislike for the Sub Space Emissary mode. Screw the cut scenes and just play it as a game if you don't like them. I find it to be fun, and it's actually an okay way to learn each character a little bit. If nothing else, the graphics are terrific on most levels and the controls are shockingly tight.
It's one of those things that really can help you get better at the game. If you can navigate a platformer-style level with Diddy, imagine how quickly you'll traverse an actual battle course.
If you don't like it - don't play it.

agreed, im getting to try out alot of different characters because of the SSE, so far I've confermed i still hate mario in this game, and I love Ike and Donkey kong lol

I really don't like squirtle (pokemon trainer), and I'm not doing so hot with metaknight. Surprisingly, i'm rocking it out with Lucas, but his delays after doing some attacks are pretty long.

one question though, whats so bad about the Wii mote + nunchuck? I find they work well, although I do tend to start holding it as if im playing with a game pad, and it surprises me everytime I move one hand and the other doesn't follow lol. but I like the controls with the Wiimote and find it does a good job, only thing i don't like is where the grab is, but thankfully they allow you to customize your controls any way you want.

Nah, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Wii-mote for this game.
My buddy, who's approximately the same skill-level as me, was doing just fine with that set-up. His Wavebirds were packed away, so it was his only option for the moment. I certainly didn't notice him having any issues and he was throwing me left and right with Snake.
I'm just using the Wavebird because it's familiar.

I think it's Mario Kart where the Wii-mote pretty much fails.

My son (7) and I played for about 6 hours yesterday. It was all SSE. I think we are really near the end as we are at 51% and everyone is all together in the storyline. We definitely missed a few of the hidden things, so will have to go back and get those.

The nice part is that it unlocked characters instead of having to do the "Beat X 20 times as Y".

Olimar rocks. I think he just beat out Ice Climbers as my favorite. I'd wipe people up in tournament play using them because people didn't understand how to use them right or fight them properly as they were so focused on the more "traditional fighters". They are a pain to learn to use, but having two points of attack that can be on opposite sides of the screen and pull off wicked catches and attacks while being practically off the screen messes people up.

are you talking about that one when you first try to play the game? if so I needed it before my consol would even play the game but it was very small (took 5 seconds, most wii updates take 30sec for me)

Mario Galaxy had one of those updates, too. Both that one and this one only took about 15 seconds each, so they couldn't be all that huge.
Smash Bros. has something called "Smash Notices" or something like that. I guess they send you info on updates/tournaments/etc. to your Wii inbox. There was also talk of a channel just for the game, too. It might have something to do with that.

My son (7) and I played for about 6 hours yesterday. It was all SSE. I think we are really near the end as we are at 51% and everyone is all together in the storyline. We definitely missed a few of the hidden things, so will have to go back and get those.

The nice part is that it unlocked characters instead of having to do the "Beat X 20 times as Y".

Olimar rocks. I think he just beat out Ice Climbers as my favorite. I'd wipe people up in tournament play using them because people didn't understand how to use them right or fight them properly as they were so focused on the more "traditional fighters". They are a pain to learn to use, but having two points of attack that can be on opposite sides of the screen and pull off wicked catches and attacks while being practically off the screen messes people up.

I just dont understand Olimar. I tried him for a few matches, but I am having difficulty understanding what some of his attacks are good for, let alone what they do. I'm thinking i'm missing something detrimental, but... its just not staring me in the face i guess.

Meta Knight is probably my favorite right now aside from my old standby, Bowser.

Didnt get to play much yesterday, but i've got Lucas and Ike unlocked. Hopefully tonight i'll get some others since friends are coming over to brawl.

1. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the menu layout and interface aesthetics. SSBM was far superior in this department, and was such a step up from SSB. I was hoping Brawl would be the same, with some futuristic menu and title screen. Instead it's toddlers chalkboard layout. Thumbs down here.
2. Lag sucks
3. 720P looks like crap on my TV so I have to stick to my SDTV for this game.
4. I thought Ike sucked
5. Pokemon Trainer (Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle) seems to be interesting

I was able to virtually eliminate horrendous lag playing with my brothers (NYC to suburban NJ) by setting my linksys router to highest priority QOS on the wii's MAC address. I also changed my wifi channel to 3 from 6 just in case (nyc wifi pollution is absolutely horrible... channels 1,6 and 11 are all full.. anything in between is overlapping, but better than competing head on)

went from delays of up to 5 seconds to nothing

I have reached a new conclusion. The max level AI's are completely, unbeatably, impossibly and inhumanly difficult.

They are much better then the last game but I'm super glad, in Melee I would 3 stock one without even killing me once, in this game I can only win half the time against level 9's. I only played the game 10 hours so far though so thats my excuse.

They are much better then the last game but I'm super glad, in Melee I would 3 stock one without even killing me once, in this game I can only win half the time against level 9's. I only played the game 10 hours so far though so thats my excuse.

Yea, in melee I got to the point where I'd put 2 level 9's on a team against me alone. Glad to see these are harder ;).

Someone picked up this game for the Office Wii and i played about 30 mins during lunch.

Needless to say, i dont get it. Game plays like crap, looks like crap. You have to let go of the stick to turn directions or jump, it doesnt feel seamless. Dont like it one bit.

I think if they didnt require you to center your nunchuck stick to change direction or jump/crouch etc it would have made this game uber fun in my book. I dont understand.

Someone picked up this game for the Office Wii and i played about 30 mins during lunch.

Needless to say, i dont get it. Game plays like crap, looks like crap. You have to let go of the stick to turn directions or jump, it doesnt feel seamless. Dont like it one bit.

I think if they didnt require you to center your nunchuck stick to change direction or jump/crouch etc it would have made this game uber fun in my book. I dont understand.

Looks like crap?

Game looks pretty good on this end. You playing the same game?

Looks like crap?

Game looks pretty good on this end. You playing the same game?

Sorry i just keep forgetting about how jaggy the Wii is. It looks good for a Wii game, i guess is better. But the characters are so small on the screen in so many levels it feels like a 16 bit side scroller at times.

You gotta get a Gamecube controller to fully enjoy the experience. The Wii mote and nunchuck are not designed for this game.

That being said, I don't know what would be worse: never having played Smash and having to learn on the Wii mote/chuck or transitioning from Melee to Brawl. For those going from 64 to Brawl, I'm sure it's great cuz of the amazing graphics and all, but for those who played a lot of Melee, I think they focused a lot on "evening" up the characters.

Specifically, they killed Marth :mad::mad::mad:. Just like Kirby owned in 64, got nerfed all to hell in Melee, then powered back up in Brawl, it looks like the same happened to Marth. His speed and range have been shot all to hell, it's not even funny...

Like someone mentioned before, the speed aspect of the game seems to have been drastically reduced in favor of like collison detection. Even Fox is relatively "slow" compared to Melee. Hell, all the characters are bigger and slow and the maps are like halved in size.

I still haven't decided whether to hate it or deal with it.

You gotta get a Gamecube controller to fully enjoy the experience. The Wii mote and nunchuck are not designed for this game.

That being said, I don't know what would be worse: never having played Smash and having to learn on the Wii mote/chuck or transitioning from Melee to Brawl. For those going from 64 to Brawl, I'm sure it's great cuz of the amazing graphics and all, but for those who played a lot of Melee, I think they focused a lot on "evening" up the characters.

Specifically, they killed Marth :mad::mad::mad:. Just like Kirby owned in 64, got nerfed all to hell in Melee, then powered back up in Brawl, it looks like the same happened to Marth. His speed and range have been shot all to hell, it's not even funny...

Like someone mentioned before, the speed aspect of the game seems to have been drastically reduced in favor of like collison detection. Even Fox is relatively "slow" compared to Melee. Hell, all the characters are bigger and slow and the maps are like halved in size.

I still haven't decided whether to hate it or deal with it.

Yeah, tempted to pick up a wavebird for the office Wii. Something with the Nunchuck just didnt do it for me. Also i had never played a SSB before so maybe this was just a poor first experience with high expectations.

Thanks

One thing is that the graphics vary from level to level.
Check out the first level of the Emissary mission where Mario and Pikachu are fighting. The characters and the level are insanely detailed. Now check out the Zelda bridge level. Everything is zoomed out and it's pretty ugly. The graphics vary on the size of the level, the type of level, and seemingly how many characters there are.
Still, the animations are 100X better, no matter the level. The characters move a lot better and they're no longer using the same 2-3 animations for characters like Marth (who was powerful as hell, but boring).

I was able to virtually eliminate horrendous lag playing with my brothers (NYC to suburban NJ) by setting my linksys router to highest priority QOS on the wii's MAC address. I also changed my wifi channel to 3 from 6 just in case (nyc wifi pollution is absolutely horrible... channels 1,6 and 11 are all full.. anything in between is overlapping, but better than competing head on)

went from delays of up to 5 seconds to nothing

Sorry to semi hijack this thread for a post but how do you find out your immediate area's preference for what channel they are using? I'm about to move into a Toronto apartment building and have been wondering that for wireless all of this time!

Still, the animations are 100X better, no matter the level. The characters move a lot better and they're no longer using the same 2-3 animations for characters like Marth (who was powerful as hell, but boring).

This is true, but my only problem with that is, they KEPT the same exact moves for Marth, but they made them/him 100x worse. His sword is shorter, his dash-A is absolutely terrible, and he jumps worse/seems a bit slower.

Hell, give me new moves and new shit to work with, but don't give me the EXACT same stuff, only exponentially worse. That's zero innovation, zero creativity, just grasping at old straws trying to achieve "parity".

I'm not sure I agree with the "move a lot better". There were fewer animations in Melee, but the game was a lot faster because of it; it seems like Brawl gets really clogged with all the stuff going on in the background + new animations + collison detection.

Eh, I'm not sure what your talking about. I never center the analog stick before changing directions and it works just fine.

At first it felt VERY different then Melee, but I quckly got used to it and now my skill level is rising very fast. Actually I 3 stocked a computer in Brawl multiple times. Granted I definitely don't do that every time but the games starting to feel more natural to me.

I thought Melee's graphics where good enough and Brawl blows them away.

This is true, but my only problem with that is, they KEPT the same exact moves for Marth, but they made them/him 100x worse. His sword is shorter, his dash-A is absolutely terrible, and he jumps worse/seems a bit slower.

Hell, give me new moves and new shit to work with, but don't give me the EXACT same stuff, only exponentially worse. That's zero innovation, zero creativity, just grasping at old straws trying to achieve "parity".

I'm not sure I agree with the "move a lot better". There were fewer animations in Melee, but the game was a lot faster because of it; it seems like Brawl gets really clogged with all the stuff going on in the background + new animations + collison detection.

Marth would be broken if they kept him the way he was in Melee. All characters in Brawl seem to be ultra balanced from my experience. I hear people say Metaknight is godly but I can perform just as well with Yoshi. So I'm not sure what gives. No characters seem to have a godly advantage or disadvantage this time around.

so there's no 'tiers' in Brawl?

sucks they nerfed Sheik but she was pretty much godly in Melee

I think its all about your play style -- what YOU are good with. I'm good with some characters, and suck with others. That doesn't mean those characters are more powerful, just that their abilities suit my play style better than the others.

I dunno about current tiers, but usually it takes a little while for people to find exploits and/or character tiers in a game.
For instance you can go back to a lot of early fight games (like Street Fighter or Tekken) and you'll notice that the early ideas about which characters are good/bad vary greatly from the ones that become standard a few months down the line. Right now Japan and importers have it it for a little while, but the US has only officially had it for 48 hours.
I'd be willing to bet that we'll see some things change in the next 6 weeks.

Any character can win in most fighting games, but pretty much all of them have characters that are easier to win with. They might not be invincible, but it's a hell of a lot easier to win with someone like Marth (in Melee) than Pikachu.

the thing is I want to start getting good with someone who's going to be in the top tiers. I guess I'll have to go about unlocking first

Ok, I'm a completely new to this game. Having fun so far, but starting to come up with a few questions the manual doesn't seem to answer. (1.) When playing through the Subspace Emissary story, why are some locations that I've completed flagged, and others are not? (2.) I'm not unlocking much (other than trophies and stickers) - I take it most of the unlocks come via MP? (3.) How drastic of a difference does using a Gamecube controller (or the classic) make vice the Wiimote and a Nunchuk?

@Numan

usually whatever program you use to connect to a wireless network should show the available SSID's, along with the channel they are using. Almost all of them default to 1, 6 and 11. (wifi only has 3 true discreet channels, so a channel 3 would be using spectrum somewhere overlapping 1 and 6)

Just wanted to throw this out there. Me and my friends played exclusively the multiplayer mode all day yesterday and we managed to unlock characters like Sonic, and a couple of others. We didn't even touch the SSE mode.

i have a question about the friend's code. When i enter a code, do i have to be exact with the nickname? Does it matter if the letters are caps or not?

Nah, you can nickname people anything you want. That's just there for you to remember who's who.
The only thing that matters is the code itself.

Back