The Official "Smash Brothers Brawl" Thread

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Post your impressions!

I've played for 3 hours now and I'm really enjoying it. I'd post more, but its 3am :).

I unlocked a few players, tried the online-against-strangers mode.

It seems that online against strangers is limited to Time game 2 minutes? Oh well, I'll enjoy online mode more when my buddies pick it up.

So far, very enjoyable! :)

It's pretty crazy for me, i enjoyed the time i spent with Melee (which wasnt much) so I am trying to get into the groove of playing this game. I enjoy learning how to play this, which is always a plus as opposed to being bored out of your mind because you just don't get it.
So far I am not let down that I kept my Wii just for this game and Mario Kart.

to me, i liked how the characters were so much more balanced. however, the SSE mode seemed really stupid to me (in part because i dont speak Japanese....). either way, when i play smash, i'm not the kind of person to play it alone for extended periods of time. another plus: it doesn't seem so twichy and doesn't emphasis the speed of certain characters/players- you actually have to know what you're doing more often then not.

i feel left out of all the SSBB hype... then again, i've been playing for quite a while....

I picked it up this morning @ Target. I was there at 8:30 and I saw at least one other person with the same idea.

I'm most amazed by the graphics. It looks 100X better than Melee.
Gameplay's fine. I was never a wizard to being with, but I'm not noticing any giant changes. I've mainly been playing the Emissary game so far. I like Pit, but he has huge delays on his moves. Lucas, too. Diddy's great, although his up+B move is horrendous. Wario really isn't what I'd hoped for. I was hoping for something close to what he was in Wario World.
I'll hve to play some of y'all later. Anyone know if your code changes a lot? I reset my data after screwing around and it gave me a new friend code.

i feel left out of all the SSBB hype... then again, i've been playing for quite a while....

I just don't understand the hype for this game. I played the last version for 5 minutes until I had to put it down.

Oh I need this game so bad, but I can't even get it because I'm stuck at work all the time.

I played it for about 25 min so far and it has exceeded my expectations in the fun factor department. Great change of pace from the usual WoW / CS:S.

Now all I need is my Mario Kart and I'll be happy with my Wii purchase :cool:

(I didn't like Mario Galaxy or Metroid Corrpution)

I bought 2 copies this morning at Walmart (the lady almost didn't sell the second to me) and I don't even own a Wii.

One's for my buddy's bday and the other is for my nephew.

Last night I saw my buddy play at a tournament in Gamestop and I am absolutely amazed at how good it looks on the Wii console. Why can't other games look NEARLY this good?

Once I'm done with my papers, I'll buy myself a Wii so I can play this and Mario Kart.

I wasnt really into melee either, i had it, played it a bit and got bored. However, that being said brawl is amazing. Ive been playing online since 1130 this morning when i got home and there is literally not enough time in a day for me to play it right now. Tomorrow I might have to take a day off =X

Can connect to any stranger matches. This is aggravating. My one friend actually just bought a wii for this game, so when he is online i should have some competition finally.

With that said, this game is excellent. Never played Melee, but loved the 64 version. I'm in love with brawl

The music also kicks ass

Played it for about 2 hours and its pretty awesome. Having a great time playing as Pit. Not only is he fast, but has some great moves as well. I really dig the final attack item/special move. Great game so far.

The SSE mode is just the most asinine excuse for a story mode I've ever seen. I'm not sure if I would be getting more out of it if there was actually some dialog or even just words to describe what is going on, but as it stands the only reason to slave through all 8 hours of it is to unlock Sonic. The Wiimote sucks as a controller, but hasn't it always for anybody who cares about how well they can perform? Seems a bit heavy in the clone characters department and especially in sword-wielders, but several of the characters seem to have unique aspects to them, namely Snake, Pit, Dedede and Wario of the characters I have so far. The Final Smash idea is cool, but because of how the icon has to be attacked a seemingly arbitrary and random amount of times before somebody can use it, it feels like something akin to critical hits in TF2 to me. The AI is certainly better than it used to be, but I feel that it can make some utterly inhuman dodges of attacks sometimes that are a little overboard. I feel like I'm playing cat-and-mouse against the more advanced AI levels because they are so capable of avoiding every attack that takes longer than a fraction of a second to fire off.

Hm, maybe post some friend codes on here for some matches since this random match stuff seems to be broke?

4725-7609-2138

There's mine, add if you'd like!

I have reached a new conclusion. The max level AI's are completely, unbeatably, impossibly and inhumanly difficult.

I've played for about 2 hours now and I'm having a blast. I've tried getting some online action in but I haven't been able to find anyone yet to play with. My code is 4983-4620-7697. Feel free to add me and kick my ass ;)

(I added you btw DaRat)

Pit is SO overpowered lol. I have unlocked a ton of crap, sonic, luigi, falco, captain falcon, jigglypuff, and more I cant remember I played basically all day lol.

Some thoughts:

The wiimote is useless, me and my gf have been using old gamecube controllers and they work great.
In SSE mode I could not enter any doors using the gamecube remote though so I was forced to play through it with the wiimote
Speaking of SSE, 2-player BLOWS because the second player (my gf) cannot stay on the screen with me and keeps taking damage from it and having to teleport to me, not sure if thats just her but it seems like a major flaw in gameplay that the camera cant zoom out a little so you are both on the screen
Wario is useless as far as I am concerned
Pit and Metaknight are pretty overpowered, and I love them
Fox was nerfed which sucks because he used to be my primary
The AI has been dramatically improved, I would say difficulty 7 in brawl is equivalent to 9 in melee
Stickers are kind of cool, they can be used to customize each character and fine tune them to your liking
The new coin mini-game where you win new trophies is a lot more fun than the slot machine in melee
The level design is amazing and I am very pleased with most of the levels, and i am glad they kept some originals
No more "Race to the finish" mini-game that I could see, I kind of liked it but won't miss it much

Nice, added you also. This will be a much better alternative to random games for now. Hell, it's better also since you can actually choose a stock match in a friend game

Please add me too I would love to play against anyone on [H]. Nickname: Black 3780-8693-9016

Hehe nice game DaRat. So laggy though, damn. You definitely kicked my ass. I'll be back on a little later if anyone else wants to get down with some online play!

Lag is terrible, i'm assuming it's the servers.

Hopefully they fix it up within the upcoming week. Plan on playing a lot of this game online. So much more fun than offline by yourself

Its definitely a lot of fun and there's a lot of new content, but honestly I was hoping for (though not really expecting) more. Melee was the same way but it was ok that time around because the formula wasn't old yet. On its own, its a great game, but having played the first two so much I'm kinda wondering what they spent all this time on. I can't help thinking that after several years they could have found some sort of new game modes or something (I've tried subspace, but it seems awfully random and mostly pointless).

Definitely a lot of fun and a really good game, but I don't see it being in any game of the year type discussions come December.

I can't connect to random matchup games at all. My wi-fi link works for sure, but it seems the servers aren't working or something. Has anyone been able to consistently get into random matchup games online?

Since this is the official SSB: Brawl thread, what controller is everyone using in game? I am interested in the Classic Controller attachment to the Wii Remote and would like some feedback on that. I kept my Wavebird when I sold my Gamecube specifically for this game, how does the Classic compare to the Wavebird? So far the WB is working great. I tried using the Wii Remote/Nunchuck combo and found it to be very cumbersome for this game.

Since this is the official SSB: Brawl thread, what controller is everyone using in game? I am interested in the Classic Controller attachment to the Wii Remote and would like some feedback on that. I kept my Wavebird when I sold my Gamecube specifically for this game, how does the Classic compare to the Wavebird? So far the WB is working great. I tried using the Wii Remote/Nunchuck combo and found it to be very cumbersome for this game.

go gamecube. I couldnt use the classic. I hate the feel of it sooo much.

I only played gamecube about 4 times in my life, but i knew it was perfect for this game. So i went and bought it (never played melee) just because of the analog placement.

I've been using the Wii Classic Controller. I haven't really used the controller for many games other than the occasional StarFox play so it's good to get some proper use out of it finally! I tried using my GameCube controller but I like the smaller size of the Classic controller personally.

using the wiimote&nunchuck is pretty weird for me. Can't get a feel for what I'm doing. The Z button should be moved down to the middle of the nunchuck so my middle finger can rest on it, having both fingers up on the edge feels so unstable.

I can't connect to random matchup games at all. My wi-fi link works for sure, but it seems the servers aren't working or something. Has anyone been able to consistently get into random matchup games online?

Same, can't get it to work at all.

And you can ONLY do two minute matches in random modes?

What the fuck??

The rest of the game is so awesome, but man, Nintendo ruined the online worse than I thought.

Stupid EBGames and their not-selling-to-people-who-didn't-preorder policy :(. I ordered the game for an in-store pickup at Future Shop, so I'll finally get my hands on it tomorrow night. Gamecube controller FTW also, I've been playing a lot of Melee in anticipation :D.

I sat down and played a friend through it for a few hours today. We were using the classic controllers as we didn't have any others. I'm going to end up stealing some gamecube controllers back from my brother(who has my gc) I think. Well take my wavebird back for me.

So far I like the game. Also like how you can unlock the characters by playing in vs mode. Really prefer that to playing through the single player game. SB is made for multiplayer.

My add code: 1375-6899-5080

I'm adding everyone here. Off to GameFAQs, smashboards, etc to find some worthy opponents. Before you battle me, I warn you: I used to put up a good fight. :)

I'm lovin' Meta Knight. Disappointed that Kirby still blows though... he totally pwned in SSB1.

My add code: 1375-6899-5080

I'm adding everyone here. Off to GameFAQs, smashboards, etc to find some worthy opponents. Before you battle me, I warn you: I used to put up a good fight. :)

I'm lovin' Meta Knight. Disappointed that Kirby still blows though... he totally pwned in SSB1.

What did they do to kirby? I feel like he was better in the n64 one but never tried melee to realize how they dumbed him down. He was my main guy when i first got Smash when it came out back in the day.. Now i'm all pikachu when i started playing it again last year (n64).

I threw you an add too. Hopefully some of these games won't be laggy

What did they do to kirby? I feel like he was better in the n64 one but never tried melee to realize how they dumbed him down. He was my main guy when i first got Smash when it came out back in the day.. Now i'm all pikachu when i started playing it again last year (n64).

I threw you an add too. Hopefully some of these games won't be laggy

Kirby was my #1 in SSB. His air tilt-down-A, followed by a repeated ground tilt up+A attack could combo for 50+% damage in just a few seconds, and then send an opponent flying with a smash left/right+A attack. I felt his overall agility and attack latencies in Melee were detrimental to his usefulness. There's a little lag in the time you hit the button and the time he actually attacks, far more than in SSB1. His attacks in Melee could never knock the opponents as far as in SSB to finish off opponents as well, which made him suck. Plus, his float air jump height was reduced, and he seemed heavier and fell to the ground faster. All across the board worse in Melee.

Marth/Sheik became my #1 in Melee.

Still trying everyone out in Brawl. So far, Link's basically the same too.

I feel like the overall design of Brawl seems to focus less on the smash attacks and more on the faster, harder to dodge attacks and air attacks. I have had a lot of trouble succeeding with the slower characters like Snake and Dedede against a decent player or higher AI because of the delay on their attacks. I kind of don't like the feeling of the trend away from the really big knockback attacks and damage spikes in favor of this agility based shit. Or maybe it's just because I feel partially retarded controlling the game with the Wiimote, I guess we'll see when I get a GC controller for it.

Ness so far seems to be a little un-nerfed, especially his PKThunder when he hits you while charged. Thats got some power again :).

I tried playing online a couple times and the lag was really terrible. "2 minute match" probably took almost 10 minutes to complete the first time!

Back