The Official "Smash Brothers Brawl" Thread

Doesn't Microsoft charge for the use of their servers, and Nintendo's is free?

I might be wrong, since I've never used XBox Live, but I thought they charged a monthly fee.

Doesn't Microsoft charge for the use of their servers, and Nintendo's is free?

I might be wrong, since I've never used XBox Live, but I thought they charged a monthly fee.

True, at least for now. In the future a few Wii games will have small fee's associated with online play but not much. I'm just hoping Nintendo gets some more servers up asap.

Yea, so I'm just saying to the poster above you, its not so disgusting. We PAY for the service of those MS servers, so yes its reasonable to yell at them when they go down. The Nintendo online servers are brand new and free, so I'm not gonna freak out if they are having growing pains.

Direwolf20 said:
Yea, so I'm just saying to the poster above you, its not so disgusting. We PAY for the service of those MS servers, so yes its reasonable to yell at them when they go down. The Nintendo online servers are brand new and free, so I'm not gonna freak out if they are having growing pains.

True, but honestly, with how limited the online matchmaking service seems to be anyway, I think the complaints might be even louder. They'd just be of a different variety, that's all.

Sony's servers are "new and free" and they haven't had issues like this.

The cost of the servers is included with the game. You're paying for them one way or the other.

At least the brawl with anyone online option seems to be working a little bit better... I got into a few random games before I got booted out ;)

The online has been working pretty well for me, I haven't had much lag during With Anyone games, and Friend games have been perfectly smooth.

Woot, finally finished up with the game, for the time being.

My in game powered on time is over 40 hours, with the majority of that being playing time =O That's a lot for me, in just one week. I usually can't even finish up an 8 hour game in one week, let alone put 40 hours into any game.

I've unlocked all the characters, stages, and assist trophies, as well as extra rules for brawl's. I've unlocked all the stage parts, as well. Finished with 98% in the SSE, but since I don't think you get anything for 100%, I'm not bothering with that dumb mode anymore.

I finished every event, did every challenge involving the multi-man brawls, and did every challenge involving finishing the target tests under a certain amount of time. For that matter, I've done every challenge other than "finishing this mode with every character" and "collect every one of this collectable".

I almost have every song though, thanks to the CD factory custom stage, as well as a shit ton of stickers and trophies, just not all of them.

So yea, I'm officially done being a SSBB whore for now, it's all played for the last week and other than the occasional online match or with friends, time to give it a rest =O I definitely enjoyed this game way more than I thought I would.

Just played my first 5 online matches. Just did random brawl. Won 3 of em as kirby :)

First time I tried to play online no one ever connected, but now it seems to be working great. No lag whatsoever either.

Can't wait to get some friends together and have a tournament.

Ness so far seems to be a little un-nerfed, especially his PKThunder when he hits you while charged. Thats got some power again :).

He's almost as bad as he was in Melee. His aerial down kick is slow and knocks opponents side ways instead of downward. His PK Fire is fast and traps most for a followup smash hit. But yeah, his charged PK Thunder attack is about as devastating as it was in SSB 1. Still can't use him. Find myself using Lucario and Snake now and Ness used to be my SSB 1 primary. :(

Prefer Lucas over Ness though, his rapid fire aerial down kick is fast and works almost like Ness' does is SSB 1.

Online is still hit or miss for me. Sometimes it's almost lag free, other times it's the EXTREME opposite. Worst case being last night. It took 5 minutes to get through the countdown at the beginning of the match. After about 15 minutes it finally disconnected me.

Another strange thing is the friends list. 2/3's of my list is still "awaiting registration", and I know most of those people have added me. Do we need to be on at the same time to register??

Online is still hit or miss for me. Sometimes it's almost lag free, other times it's the EXTREME opposite. Worst case being last night. It took 5 minutes to get through the countdown at the beginning of the match. After about 15 minutes it finally disconnected me.

Another strange thing is the friends list. 2/3's of my list is still "awaiting registration", and I know most of those people have added me. Do we need to be on at the same time to register??

Online has been pretty much a miss for me, I have tried playing some friends in California (I'm in Wyoming) and there has been a persistant half second of lag, except for 1 match where it almost all disapeared only to come back the next match.

I'm going to try and play with Anyone later today and see if it connects to anyone.

Do you guys think this game warrants the purchase of a Wii? I am an avid fan of SSBM, but I am not sure if this is worth the cost of entry...aka a whole new console, extra controllers, the game, etc.

Specifically, they killed Marth :mad::mad::mad:. Just like Kirby owned in 64, got nerfed all to hell in Melee, then powered back up in Brawl, it looks like the same happened to Marth. His speed and range have been shot all to hell, it's not even funny...

Good. :)

Well, I've unlocked all of the characters and I'm still favoring Ike as my personal favorite, although Wolf's interesting. If nothing else, his gun is one of the best projectiles in the whole game. I also like the angle on his f+b dash, too.
I really like Gannondorf, but I keep doing his damned axe kick by mistake. That thing takes forever.

Ditto re:Ganondorf. That kick messes me up.

Ike seems a little too strong to me. His smash moves are nuts.

Haven't gotten wolf yet. I should.

Well I must say that I spent a few hours online and found someone and had like 10 or so good matches. Seems like he mained Wario with Ice Climbers and Olimar as secondary's and I played Wolf as main and Gannondorf and Toon Link as secondary's. We only had minor lag, but it was very playable and fun. Most of the time I still won but all our matches where pretty close.

As more and more people get Smash I'm hoping more and more people start playing online that live around my area. Anyways if you live in Wyoming or any of the surrounding area's plz contact me if you want a good game going.

I still think the game is fairly balanced although I'm still definitely a Wolf main. I just love the way he fights but their is no denying that some characters may be better. Probable candidates for top tier...

-Wolf
-Toon Link
-Pit
-Metaknight
-King DeDeDe
-Snake
-Fox
-Falco
-Sheik/Zelda
-Diddy Kong
-Olimar&Pikmin
-R.O.B.
-Sonic

This may not be accurate but these characters are all good. Either way I think we will be seeing a variety of characters winning tournaments unlike the Melee scene which was pretty much Fox, Marth, Peach, Sheik and Falco winning most of the tournaments with maby an odd Doc, Falcon, Gannondorf or Jigglypuff winning occasionally.

Some issues i've had with brawl:

widescreen isn't widescreen. Still looks 4:3 to me. And yes, I have the console, the game and my projector all set to 16:9

It doesn't allow 2 people at my house on my wii to get in an online match together. Would be fun for the wife and I to team up and fight others online

Haven't found out how to get 2 players to be able to fight together against the AI. You need more players for rotation and tournament.

You can have multiple people playing on the same Wii for friend matches, but not for games with anyone. Also, to team up against bots, just go into Brawl mode, set two humans and two bots, and click on the brawl icon at the top of the screen next to the back icon, which will change the game to team brawl. Click on the backgrounds of the player characters at the bottom to set up the teams, and you should be good to go.

Online has been working fine for me... I like using Ike and marth

Same with me, I've using the Smash friend finder and Smashboards.com and it's been working very well. As well I can connect with anyone if it's a good time period.

It seems to be working much, much better then when I first tried playing online so I think Nintendo is improving.

So far my favorite character is Wolf and the hardest one to fight against is King Dedede. I like most of the other characters though and play almost everyone casually, Wolf is my primary with Gannondorf, Link, DK, Bowser, Sonic and Caption Falcon are secondarys though.

Finally got the online to work for me (probably because the game has been out for a few weeks now) but it was good fun last night. Just played some random brawls. If anyone wants a friend for brawl let me know and I'll add you and look for you to brawl.

I am having this crazy problem where about 25 seconds into any multiplayer game, my router resets. Now, it seems to be Wii specific because I do a lot of PC gaming with my router and it only does this with the Wii. I also get wifi download speeds of 800k+ with no problem. I have tried every configuration combo under the sun and it resets every single time.

The router is a D-Link DI-624 and I have seen at least one other post on this. Would anyone like to suggest a Wireless N capable router that works with the Wii?

I have a Linksys WRT150N and it works great with my Wii. I would imagine the higher model would work as well.

Back