The Official R9 270x, 280x and 290x Buyers Club Thread

AMD requires at least 750W with single 8 pin rated for 150W and another single 6 pin rated for 75W.

Seems very high but I think this card has potential when over clocked to draw alot of power under load.

Yup, something tells me this card will suck up the power once over-volted. Speaking of over-volting, I'm thinking of flashing the asus bios (supposedly gives you voltage control).

kind of a scam for the scalpers, as soon as amazon runs out of stock, it automticallky shows the scalpers stock.

All they have to do is wait for amazon to sell out.

hR4Z3af.png

New to the 'club, with my Club3D R9 290X BF4 Edition ! Preloading BF4 now !

I'm probably going to undervolt it as much as I can without sacrificing too much performance. As long as BF4 will play 60+ fps all the time in multiplayer at 1080p, I'm not going to complain.

New to the 'club, with my Club3D R9 290X BF4 Edition ! Preloading BF4 now !

I'm probably going to undervolt it as much as I can without sacrificing too much performance. As long as BF4 will play 60+ fps all the time in multiplayer at 1080p, I'm not going to complain.

Oh wow you're using a 550w psu? Did it not fail or shut down your system when on load? I only have a 520-watt psu and will buy a 290x once non-reference models come out.

So, it looks as if my card should be arriving Thursday... I must ask, how do you guys like your 290x so far?

So, it looks as if my card should be arriving Thursday... I must ask, how do you guys like your 290x so far?

It's fun. Takes me back to the 580 days. Back when NVIDIA used to have fully "unlocked" GPUs. I've been really impressed with the performance, thus far. AMD is a little rough around the edges versus the NVIDIA camp, but not necessarily in a bad way. The fan is loud as shit but I don't care. I game with headphones.

Popping my 2nd R 290X in today. Tried BF4 MP last night and I was seeing between 60-110 FPS (just eyeballing the BF4 "perfoverlay.drawfps 1"). Rubber-banding like crazy but that was probably the BF4 launch.

Really hoping that Mantle makes a huge difference when it's unleashed for BF4...I'd love to see 2x 290X beat 3x TITANs in BF4. :)

it's pretty early to ask but how are your 290X cards running BF4 multiplayer? i played for about an hour last night and found that to comfortably run at 2560x1440 i need to use High settings with 0xMSAA. i'm *just* on the verge of being able to run 2xMSAA, kept switching back to it and thinking it ran well but then i'd get a pretty big slowdown. this is with a small overclock to 1050/1250. 'comfortable' to me is having min framerate above 60fps but that can vary from person to person. still would like to hear how you guys are running BF4 multiplayer.

it's pretty early to ask but how are your 290X cards running BF4 multiplayer? i played for about an hour last night and found that to comfortably run at 2560x1440 i need to use High settings with 0xMSAA. i'm *just* on the verge of being able to run 2xMSAA, kept switching back to it and thinking it ran well but then i'd get a pretty big slowdown. this is with a small overclock to 1050/1250. 'comfortable' to me is having min framerate above 60fps but that can vary from person to person. still would like to hear how you guys are running BF4 multiplayer.

I've just been gaming at 1080p/120hz - played only like 10 minutes of BF4 MP on my R9 290X rig (single card for now) - I was getting around 60-110 FPS at "Ultra" with FOV 90.

I have no idea if I'm going to get my 290x lol. I don't even live at that end of Canada!

2013-10-28 20:50:00 Vancouver, BC Departed sort facility
2013-10-28 20:18:00 Vancouver, BC Arrived at sort facility
2013-10-28 20:14:00 Vancouver, BC Arrived at sort facility
2013-10-28 03:14:00 Vancouver, BC Departed sort facility
2013-10-28 02:42:00 Vancouver, BC Arrived at sort facility
2013-10-28 02:37:00 Vancouver, BC Arrived at sort facility
2013-10-28 02:33:00 Vancouver, BC Arrived at sort facility
2013-10-28 01:47:00 Vancouver, BC Picked up by Purolator at RICHMOND BC
2013-10-24 20:28:00 Los Angeles - Lax Departed sort facility
2013-10-24 20:27:00 Purolator Shipping label created

I'm starting to think people guess it's a 290x, open it, pop it in their PC, test for 1hour, then repackage + re-register in system.

since BC is directly above CA, thats probobly just the arrival point,

Im sure youll get a dozen more check ins on its slow journey east across the great white north

lol

Although it does appear one of the drunk Mackenzie brothers is repeatedly scanning your package then summarily forgetting he has done so.

EDIT: Did i get enough candaian jokes in there?

not bad.. Ehehe

I agree that someone is scanning the same package a bunch of times. I've never seen so many tracking lines in one location.

Oh well, it will be here just in time with the snow. That'll keep it cool.

My 290x's from Amazon just shipped.

Can anyone tell me if its ok for both cards in CF to be seated right next to each other:confused:

I have read some reviews saying it might get too hot? But I don't have enough space in my case or a free slot. My only option is to have both cards next to each other(which was fine for my previous 2x7970's/680's+i52500k so crossing fingers)

In [H]'s review they point out the cooler has little intakes near the ends to (maybe) help with close cards.

Not sure if they help.

Can anyone tell me if its ok for both cards in CF to be seated right next to each other:confused:

I have read some reviews saying it might get too hot? But I don't have enough space in my case or a free slot. My only option is to have both cards next to each other(which was fine for my previous 2x7970's/680's+i52500k so crossing fingers)

I would say it entirely depends on your case ventilation.

I believe the 290x's will just throttle if the temps get too high.

How is gigabytes warranty? Are they a good company to deal with? I'm about to pull the trigger on the 290x.

Am I crazy for trying to run mine on a 8 year old Seasonic SS 600HT power supply guys?

It's somewhat of a lucky charm and the most reliable thing ever (run time is over 6 years right now). But it doesn't have a 6+2 connector.. just two 6 pins. Sketchy adapter time or new PSU?

Edit: System info:

i5 2500K @ 4200MHz
120GB Corsair M4 SSD
1 optical drive
16GB memory
A few case fans

Am I crazy for trying to run mine on a 8 year old Seasonic SS 600HT power supply guys?

It's somewhat of a lucky charm and the most reliable thing ever (run time is over 6 years right now). But it doesn't have a 6+2 connector.. just two 6 pins. Sketchy adapter time or new PSU?

Edit: System info:

i5 2500K @ 4200MHz
120GB Corsair M4 SSD
1 optical drive
16GB memory
A few case fans

I would get a new PSU, mainly as max capacity deteriorates over time and an entire R290x system will pull close to 450w assuming the card is in uber mode.

That said it will probably run fine but you'd really be pushing it IMO.

I'm tempted to make the jump from Nvidia as I use 3 Samsung s27a750d monitors. So displayport is my only option. I'm assuming there will be models with 3 displayport outputs like there was with the 7970.

Well I hoped on the gigabyte. I'm the owner of a 290x :D

This is for a new build that should be here in a few days

asus maximus vi hero
16gb corsair vengance
1440p QNIX

The reviews I read all mentioned the noise, but I'm not finding these to be louder than my 7970s. I have a decently ventilated case, so maybe the sound is just being drowned out by the other fans in my case. I ran Unigine Heaven at 2560x1440 with ultra/quality and extreme tessellation to try to push them a bit (bios set to quiet mode). Definitely doesn't seem louder than my 7970s (which were a heck of a lot quieter than my 6990 and 6970 combo).

I'm tempted to make the jump from Nvidia as I use 3 Samsung s27a750d monitors. So displayport is my only option. I'm assuming there will be models with 3 displayport outputs like there was with the 7970.

The R9 290X is set up so you could use a DP hub. ( I actually think it's a DP 1.2 thing, not the GPU)
You plug the hub into the GPU's DP and the monitors into the hub.
Only need one DP then!

I have no idea where you would buy the hub or how much they cost.

I just got one yesterday. Testing it on my bench....it gets HOT.

I was running Heaven Benchmark, with the CCC to 100% fan and the card was sitting at 94C while it was running the benchmark.
I got it to 1150 MHz Core clock last night with little effort using Afterburner....but the card was toasty.

I'd make sure you have something blowing air hard and fast on the two cards if they are side by side.:eek:

I got my MSI yesterday.
All I did was bench it a little bit last night.
I have it easily running at 1100 Mhz on the Core....didn't get to the memory yet.
Using Afterburner.
No control of the VCore as of yet though......sadly.
It's a hot card....:eek: but not overly loud. More noise than a reference 780 though.....enough to know the 290X is running, where you had to try hard to hear the 780.

All I ran was Heaven Benchmark.

My bench runs a 24" Dell 1920 x 1200. I saw pretty much identical performance comparing the 290X to a GTX 780, clock for clock. same benchmark settings.

I'm anxious to see how the 290X does in EyeFinity.

Sorry about the three posts in a row....should have used the multi-quote thing.....duh.

I got my MSI yesterday.
All I did was bench it a little bit last night.
I have it easily running at 1100 Mhz on the Core....didn't get to the memory yet.
Using Afterburner.
No control of the VCore as of yet though......sadly.
It's a hot card....:eek: but not overly loud. More noise than a reference 780 though.....enough to know the 290X is running, where you had to try hard to hear the 780.

All I ran was Heaven Benchmark.

My bench runs a 24" Dell 1920 x 1200. I saw pretty much identical performance comparing the 290X to a GTX 780, clock for clock. same benchmark settings.

I'm anxious to see how the 290X does in EyeFinity.

Sorry about the three posts in a row....should have used the multi-quote thing.....duh.
That's nice to hear, Heaven favours nVidia a bit, too. You had it a 1100 core on stock air, yes? If so, that's impressive. How fast was your fan spinning to keep it below 95 degrees to maintain 1100mhz?

Got confirmation that my Gigabyte shipped from Amazon. Will be here Friday (before 8pm) which is my damn day off so it'll end up showing up late as hell I'm sure. Still no shipping confirmation on my waterblock though.

Amazon is ridiculously fast as always :D Ordered yesterday with two day shipping but got my card today

w5y.jpg

Card is running great! Hot as expected, but @ 50 % fan I find the noise tolerable and my temps while playing Arkham Origins are around 89C. I will probably get a waterblock soon.

Edit: I too am able to hit 1100 MHz on air, didn't try pushing it further. That's at the same 50 % fan speed.

Last edited:
Hello 290X club members, if I could take advantage of your expertise, I was wondering whether my PSU will be adequate to power an R9 290X, most likely with a Prolimatech MK-26 w/ 2-140MM fans. Here is my setup so far:

i5 4670k on H100i
asus maximus vi hero
16gb gskill
samsung 840 pro SSD
seagate 3tb
NZXT fan controller
corsair carbide 540
corsair HX 620 modular PSU
R9 290X ?

Thanks!

Tried to run 2x R290x's in Crossfire on my Asus P8P67 board and since it only has 8/4 pci-e lanes when running two cards in CF I am getting negative scaling with CF enabled :mad:

My guess is with no more CF bridge the 8/4 pci-e is killing the CF performance.

Still getting decent performance with just the 1 card- 30-35 FPS on BF4 maxed Ultra settings at 3240x1920:)

what are your guys' temps, and do you run the cards in uber mode

what are your guys' temps, and do you run the cards in uber mode

Yup... as for temps with my 1100 MHz OC I'm getting up to 92-93C in BF4. Not throttling either... stays pegged at that clock in Afterburner. Not sure if it's fully stable though need to test with other games.

I will be saving money to get one of these ASAP. I want a better cooler so having to save up money works out for me anyway lol.
Too bad that cooler isnt too good, it looks decent enough.

Back