The Official R9 270x, 280x and 290x Buyers Club Thread

On point... on point to take advantage of people? It's a dick move if he is doing that.

I dont know the full story......and this is certainly NOT personal.

But profiteering in cases such as these really frosts my wheaties.

Like I said, maybe there is a legit motive other than money.

I dont know the full story......and this is certainly NOT personal.

But profiteering in cases such as these really frosts my wheaties.

Like I said, maybe there is a legit motive other than money.

I don't know the story either, but if that is in fact the case it's rather unethical. Frost your wheaties is right. I've been searching high and low for one of these cards...

Not that I have to explain myself, ever, to anyone here just as no one here should ever have to explain the reasons behind a change in attitude, I will say that I had 2nd thoughts after it was too late. $1,192 charged.

I have a pair of 7970's running at 1075 / 1550. Just can't justify the need. So I recouped my investment asap and was lucky to turn a profit.

Oh and about being butt hurt over not getting a card, you really think I give a rats ass? lol

Nothing against the card at all, but I kinda feel like plastering BF4 all over the boxes is a lame move. I would rather have had classic box art.

batman-haters.jpg

Nothing against the card at all, but I kinda feel like plastering BF4 all over the boxes is a lame move. I would rather have had classic box art.

Lol, You planning on framing it? It's promotion and nice BF4 is included with the card considering it's the next big PC game release

Lol, You planning on framing it? It's promotion and nice BF4 is included with the card considering it's the next big PC game release

Yeah, I just don't really recall this being a "thing" in the past.

You do realize these are the BF4 special editions, right?

Okay? So there are "regular" editions?

Also, LOL @ the idiotic "hater's gonna hate" post...I said it had nothing to do with the card, just a comment on the box art. Carry on...

Also, LOL @ the idiotic "hater's gonna hate" post...I said it had nothing to do with the card, just a comment on the box art. Carry on...

I think he was referring to the people hating on the dude that scalped a couple of 290X for mad profits.

Yeah, I just don't really recall this being a "thing" in the past.

Okay? So there are "regular" editions?

There have been some special edition deals in the past for MBs and GPUs. I recall big stickers on some GPUs themselves for COD a short while ago. My Rampage IV Formula
had a BF3 promotion, IIRC.

I think he was referring to the people hating on the dude that scalped a couple of 290X for mad profits.

Hate is pretty strong.
I just pointed out the obvious.
I'm sorry the guy had to sell his unopened cards, for what ever reason.....advertising the profit was not necessary.;)

What does everyone use to OC? Still MSI Afterburner? I've been out of the AMD game for over a year. Any other AMD-specific OC tools?

you can use CCC but i prefer Afterburner. haven't tried overclocking my 290X with Afterburner yet though.

Of course, just my luck. I get the one defective 290X.

GPU-Z shows this:

Qn4JzCT.png

It has insane coil whine and crashes my entire PC after about 30 minutes of gaming.

Well I guess it was fun while it lasted?

Keep it on topic, what people do with cards they bought is none of anyone's concern...

It looks like the Sapphire brand with BF4 is in stock now. 8:21 EST. Could be an error though.

It's automatically removing it from the cart when I try to add it... oh bother. Thanks for the heads up though.

Last edited:
Surprise...this card is hot. Not even OC'd, "Uber" mode on...running Unigine Valley 1.0...

(click to enlarge)

What kind of numbers are people getting with an overclocked 290x in Unigine Valley 1.0 @ Extreme HD settings?

Yup. Should be an awesome price/performance card. Sadly like many others, I could not wait :p.

Whoa...surprising if true. Continue the asss rapeage of the 780 if the price is about $80- $100 less. If you know you are getting crossfire from the get go...2 of these overclocked would be the absolute price/performance setup.

seems like the clocks on it varies on games, Tomb Raider and Black Ops 2 I get constant 1000Mhz but Need for speed and other MMO games I get between 900-1000Mhz going back and forth on that clocks, thing is the fan speed is set too 100% maximum fan speed but only seen it reach 60% so far

I could have waited for 290 but I opted for the 290x because I really felt like AMD earned the sell + I have been nickel and dimming rebates for a long time and I got some credit card cash rewards that I was able to use. Sapphire 290x for 579.99 with BF4 and a 5% off new egg coupon helped me make up my mind. This is the first high end video card I have bought at launch. It looks so neat in its box. Haven't even opened it up yet. The box states it supports TRIXX for tweaking. Going to play with it soon. The box also states a 750w PSU with 1x150w 8 pin connector and 1x75w 6 pin connector recommended, quite high PSU requirement for single card.

Last edited:
I could have waited for 290 but I opted for the 290x because I really felt like AMD earned the sell + I have been nickel and dimming rebates for a long time and I got some credit card cash rewards that I was able to use. Sapphire 290x for 579.99 with BF4 and a 5% off new egg coupon helped me make up my mind. This is the first high end video card I have bought at launch. It looks so neat in its box. Haven't even opened it up yet. The box states it supports TRIXX for tweaking. Going to play with it soon. The box also states a 750w PSU with 1x150w 8 pin connector and 1x75w 6 pin connector recommended, quite high PSU requirement for single card.

No the current Sapphire TrixX doesn't support it. checked their site and still no updated version of sapphire trixx, hopefully either Sapphire Trixx or MSI Afterburner get an update ASAP

No the current Sapphire TrixX doesn't support it. checked their site and still no updated version of sapphire trixx, hopefully either Sapphire Trixx or MSI Afterburner get an update ASAP

I'm sure TRIXX will support it soon.

What I'm really curious about - 290 and the possibility of it being flashed with a 290x bios + better overclocking.

If this turns out to be true...290 will be the best card in the last 5+ years.

What I'm really curious about - 290 and the possibility of it being flashed with a 290x bios + better overclocking.

If this turns out to be true...290 will be the best card in the last 5+ years.

That would be even better than the 6950 flash deal.
Hope you're right.

seems like the clocks on it varies on games, Tomb Raider and Black Ops 2 I get constant 1000Mhz but Need for speed and other MMO games I get between 900-1000Mhz going back and forth on that clocks, thing is the fan speed is set too 100% maximum fan speed but only seen it reach 60% so far

It's throttling. I won't even bother using the stock cooler, just waiting on my block to arrive soon.

Back