The Official R9 270x, 280x and 290x Buyers Club Thread

Bought a couple XFX R9 290X last night from NewEgg. Planning on pairing them on my i5 2500K @ 4.6 GHz build (PCIe 2.0 - x16 and x8 slots) for permanent use but rotating them out with my tri-SLI Titans when BF4 spools up (and Mantle) to see who really rocks that game. I'm thinking 2x 290X will beat 3x TITANS with Mantle in the mix. We shall see.

WTF bro. So much $.

Also, PCIe 2.0 for Tri-SLI Titans? Wouldn't you be bottlenecking on PCIe 2.0 with that much power?

People who ordered on Tiger Direct might wanna check their status. Mine says "Back Ordered"

This is nonsense, if a distributor has X amount of their product, make it so only X amount of their product can be sold before becoming "Sold Out"

People who ordered on Tiger Direct might wanna check their status. Mine says "Back Ordered"

This is nonsense, if a distributor has X amount of their product, make it so only X amount of their product can be sold before becoming "Sold Out"

seems like every GPU release there are people running into this with Tiger Direct.

My two will be here tomorrow afternoon, as soon as ordering went up on newegg (damn spending accounts!) I pulled the trigger on two sapphires to replace my tri-fire Toxic 6950's, Shipped from cali next day air, hooray. Im thinking this will be quite the upgrade ;)

Happened to me.
I was smiling like the cat who got the fish.
Snagged a 290x. Got a confirmation and everything.
About 8 pm I was checking something else and went to look on Tiger to find "backordered".

I called and canceled. TD seems notorious for this kind of shit. Everytime there is a big release.
Thats the last time they see me.

My two will be here tomorrow afternoon, as soon as ordering went up on newegg (damn spending accounts!) I pulled the trigger on two sapphires to replace my tri-fire Toxic 6950's, Shipped from cali next day air, hooray. Im thinking this will be quite the upgrade ;)

my single 290X will be at my office tomorrow morning! by 2pm tomorrow (half day at work) i'll be geeking out in glorious fashion.

I wonder will the Accelero Xtreme 7970 fit this card? It has a cooling capacity of 300 watts, though, I wonder will that be enough for this card?

I wonder will the Accelero Xtreme 7970 fit this card? It has a cooling capacity of 300 watts, though, I wonder will that be enough for this card?

Very good timing with the question! I asked Arctic cooling yesterday and got the answer this morning!

Hello druneau,

We are currently going through the validation process and should have the final result soon telling us whether any modification is required and if so, what is required. Please stay tuned!

We hope this answers your question. Thank you for choosing ARCTIC products!

Best Regards

Customer Service Team
ARCTIC Inc.

I asked if the Accelero Xtreme III fit the 290x.

I have one on my 7970, so I might take a peek to see if it fits before they answer. But now it seems I won't get the card for the weekend.

I asked them as well myself :) The Xtreme III is the exact same as the Xtreme, except designed to fit Titans, 780s, etc. right?

Hopefully the VRM setup is good on the AMD board, the Arctic VRM heatsinks aren't the best, and I dislike gluing them to PCBs very much so. The PCB components are allegedly designed to take the heat and the voltage setup is supposed to be quality, so hopefully it's good news. Might be able to push hefty overclocks with an Accelero setup :)

yes, the xtreme III is a more versatile Xtreme 7970 kit.

I'm sure they will eventually have a version for the 290x. It would be nice if the ones that are currently out already fit on the new card.

But you're right with the 290x VRM's. Since its a more advanced design, hopefully they either stay cooler than were used too or the layout is very heatsink friendly. (I haven't spent time looking at pcb pictures yet.)

How long does it usually take Microcenter to start carrying a new product? Since apparently Newegg never bothers to order enough stock for a product they know will sell out in 2 minutes flat.

If I were to end up investing in a 290, having the Accelero already (albeit with a minor modification if necessary) would be a good motivator.

My XFX 290X's are arriving any minute now. :)

EDIT: boom
EDIT2: ordered from NewEgg on the evening of the 23rd.

(click to enlarge)

Last edited:
Damn I wish I would know when my card would get delivered with such specific time. Most of the time I know the day but even than it could just be a day later... I saw mine is underway but considering it's friday 5pm where I live, it'll be for next week.

Damn you east coast, all we have is heat and humidity and long delays for world wide shipping.

Super fast shipping from Newegg. Ordered on the 24th and it's here already :D
16kp7vm.jpg

Happened to me.
I was smiling like the cat who got the fish.
Snagged a 290x. Got a confirmation and everything.
About 8 pm I was checking something else and went to look on Tiger to find "backordered".

I called and canceled. TD seems notorious for this kind of shit. Everytime there is a big release.
Thats the last time they see me.

I just canceled my order with the live chat representative on their website. They apologized and canceled my order..

Very disappointing.

Read this on TechReport..

We asked AMD about the situation, and it told us that "all the etailers are getting stock daily." More cards are supposed to pop up at Newegg next week, the company said. A trusted source tells us that one major North American etailer is having trouble gettings its hands on the card, though. At least initially, it looks like Radeon R9 290X availability could be limited. AMD says demand for its new card is "massive." The supply apparently isn't.

I haven't detailled steel in a while... is that SDS/2? (I was using xsteel at the time)

RISA 3D and RISA Connection. pretty powerful pieces of software for how (relatively) simplistic they are.

Congrats on getting your card.

Mine won't make it in before monday...

hey man you'll be ready for BF4! assuming you're going to play.

Definately getting it for BF4! hehe.

Haven't decided yet if I'll play 2560x1440@100hz or 1920x1080@120hz Light Boost... that's where the 290x will come in. Help me decide.

I asked if the Accelero Xtreme III fit the 290x.

I asked if my Hybrid would fit and got the same answer along with a keep checking for new 290x products.

If Arctic confirms the Hybrid will fit I may go red this time. It has worked amazing on my 680!

Got mine at 10am CST.

I was going to put them on eBay then decided to sell them in Dubai, United Arab Emirates to contacts I have there. I sold them both to re-seller for 3,499.00 AED each or about $1,900 and he covered the shipping as well. DHL is already scheduled to pick the box up this evening

Not double the profit but I will settle for $600 return in 48 hours

My friend also has 2 x XFX 290's that I might buy / re-sell or use

enRKkQG.jpg

U2Wwesa.jpg

has anyone successfully redeemed their BF4 key from the box? I scratched mine off and it doesnt' work...opened a ticket with AMD but :-/

i assume they give you a key code that you just redeem through Origin?

Man, I had major major trouble with AMD as in it took me 7+ weeks to get them to give me a Bioshock Infinite key.

I hope they do not pull the same shit with Battlefield 4

i assume they give you a key code that you just redeem through Origin?

Well, first you put the key into AMD's site and then you get an Origin key. Hoping it doesn't take days as I had my Origin order refunded because of this freebie. :(

Well, first you put the key into AMD's site and then you get an Origin key. Hoping it doesn't take days as I had my Origin order refunded because of this freebie. :(

I got a Blacklist deal from nvidia, and it worked the same way.....first you got a redeem code at nvidia that unlocked a code from Origin or was it Ubisoft? either way it was a two step.:D

Got mine at 10am CST.

I was going to put them on eBay then decided to sell them in Dubai, United Arab Emirates to contacts I have there. I sold them both to re-seller for 3,499.00 AED each or about $1,900 and he covered the shipping as well. DHL is already scheduled to pick the box up this evening

Not double the profit but I will settle for $600 return in 48 hours

My friend also has 2 x XFX 290's that I might buy / re-sell or use

So you started this thread about how excited you were about these new GPUs.....then end up hawking them on eBay?

and some other smuck who really wanted one got aced.

hmmmmmmmm......just sayin'.......:(

So you started this thread about how excited you were about these new GPUs.....then end up hawking them on eBay?

and some other smuck who really wanted one got aced.

hmmmmmmmm......just sayin'.......:(

Well, if people really wanted them they should have been on point to buy them like he was. Now he gets the benefit of having potentially a "free" 290X...not bad!

Well, if people really wanted them they should have been on point to buy them like he was. Now he gets the benefit of having potentially a "free" 290X...not bad!

On point... on point to take advantage of people? It's a dick move if he is doing that.

Back