The Official R9 270x, 280x and 290x Buyers Club Thread

So we can assume they'll be $699 once the smoke clears and all the suckers have been weeded out. Nvidia, AMD, you have both lost your fucking minds.
lol....

Welcome to the new prices for flagship gpu's. $500-550 launch prices are probably a thing of the past now.

People who want BF4 premium and first dibs obviously.

There is a fairly large selection of Rabid BF fans...

I'm not seeing premium being mentioned, just the limited edition.

People with enough disposable income. 8000 globally is not a lot of boards. There will be plenty of people willing to put in a reservation. I'd bet in most places, they will simply cancel and get a refund if the device or pricing does not live up to expectations.

And people thought Titan buyers were insane - at least they knew what they were getting for their $ !

And people thought Titan buyers were insane - at least they knew what they were getting for their $ !

This is a no risk proposition for these people. If the pricing or performance is not to their liking, they cancel the pre-order and get a refund. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

This is a no risk proposition for these people. If the pricing or performance is not to their liking, they cancel the pre-order and get a refund. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Unless some places charge a cancellation fee. Anyway, I still wouldn't do it.

Some have said they will. Add in that if it ships, returning several-hundred-buck items repeatedly to a store is likely to end in you getting blacklisted after a few times in a short period... wouldn't touch an info-less preorder with an infinite-foot pole.

Some have said they will. Add in that if it ships, returning several-hundred-buck items repeatedly to a store is likely to end in you getting blacklisted after a few times in a short period... wouldn't touch an info-less preorder with an infinite-foot pole.

Fair enough. If a restocking or cancellation charge is involved, I would not place a pre-order with that vendor. In those cases I agree with you.

Fact is, I am not a BF player and have zero interest in a special edition, but I can understand why some might want to.

The BF4 Beta will be open to everyone starting tomorrow.

Starting October 4, the Open Battlefield 4 Beta for PC will be available through Origin for everyone to download.

The extra "Gold Battlepacks" are sort of unlock boosters, instead of grinding to get them you're given three right off the start.

"Vehicle Shortcut Bundle for Battlefield 3" is really odd considering it's not enhancing BF4 at all.

There's only the two versions, Digital Deluxe and Standard Edition.

I'm confused as hell about this pricing.

If a new 7990 is $500 - 550 and clearly faster than a R9 290x .. or 2 x 7990's for around $500 - $550 new.

Why is this card going to be $750 dollars?

BTW, BF4 has been on sale for $40 - 45 a couple of times so far

7990 with 8 games looks like a HELLA good deal.

xifre - 7970s will cause microstutter @1080p right? I dealt with that shit on my 5850s, never again.

700 bucks is alot, but my single 7970 is barely cutting it in bf4 beta. I need more fps for 120hz.

Yeah, it's insane to reserve something without knowing the price/performance.

But, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that some people are planning to ebay it.

xifre - 7970s will cause microstutter @1080p right? I dealt with that shit on my 5850s, never again.

700 bucks is alot, but my single 7970 is barely cutting it in bf4 beta. I need more fps for 120hz.

The 13.8 beta drivers and the recently released 13.10 beta drivers have support for frame pacing which is supposed to mitigate the microstutter issues for single monitor resolutions up to 2560 x 1600 in DX11 games. I am waiting impatiently for the version which will support multimonitor/eyefinity configurations as well as DX9 games.

I'm confused as hell about this pricing.

If a new 7990 is $500 - 550 and clearly faster than a R9 290x .. or 2 x 7990's for around $500 - $550 new.

Why is this card going to be $750 dollars?

BTW, BF4 has been on sale for $40 - 45 a couple of times so far

I think the drop to $500-550 on 7990s is temporary... some models have went back to up $700+ on Newegg. Probably a wise idea to snag one now if you are considering.

Yeah, it's insane to reserve something without knowing the price/performance.

But, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that some people are planning to ebay it.

I think its fairly clear it will be slightly faster than a 780, and probably a little weaker than a titan (maybe beating it in some AMD-optimized games)

For me personally, saving 300 dollars wouldnt be too horrible of a deal (esp with mantle on the horizon).

I dont mind AMD, I just dont trust their crossfire stuff. fool me once shame on you... etc. I just cant justify 1000 dollars on a titan, ugh

as has been said before the drivers are fixed. Besides CFX on 1080P will likely be hampered by some other bottleneck than micro stutter.

as has been said before the drivers are fixed. Besides CFX on 1080P will likely be hampered by some other bottleneck than micro stutter.

Have any evidence of that? As far as I've heard, utilization is still on par with Nvidia's, a.k.a ~50% +-5% per card crap, with the exception of select games, not including bf3/4. Also, why would another bottleneck be the source if single card utilization is double what crossfire utilization is on the same system?

I'm pretty sure the answer is: crossfire doesn't scale unless a game is specifically designed to jobify across multiple gpu's.

Gamers see these driver release notes and get the wrong impression.

Last edited:
This thread has gone quiet, eh?

Some good news for those that want to pick up a waterblock, once the 290x launches.
EK Water Blocks is also working on a full-cover water block for the upcoming AMD® Radeon R9 290X flagship graphics card, based on the Hawaii XT GPU, which is due to release on October 15th 2013. Full-cover water blocks.

EK-FC R9-290X will be available in all five versions, and an aesthetic retention backplate will be available for purchase by October 18th through EK Webshop and Partner Reseller Network.

Ek obviously got the 290x release date wrong, but hopefully their blocks are available on the 18th.

EK charges too damn much for their blocks. Plus after all the plating fiascos I've shied away from them. Is their plating fixed or was that just a certain run of blocks?

videocardz says R9-290X embargo lifts tonight at 9:01 PDT. i hope they're not immediately available for purchase because i'm at a concert tonight and i won't be home until late. i don't want these things selling out at the rumored $549 price before i even have a chance to pull the trigger :D

videocardz says R9-290X embargo lifts tonight at 9:01 PDT. i hope they're not immediately available for purchase because i'm at a concert tonight and i won't be home until late. i don't want these things selling out at the rumored $549 price before i even have a chance to pull the trigger :D

Precisely how I feel lol. I'm at work till 11:30 PDT so I hope they don't sell out before I get a chance to snag one.

Might be the first time I'll be buying a new card on release if the price rumors pan out. My Tahiti 7870 has been a good temporary replacement to my old GTX580, if the price of the 290x is too high I'll probably get another Tahiti 7870 to xfire.

So it's looking like $549.99 will end up being the msrp, according to fudzilla. I might wait for the 290 (non x) to see where it stacks up compared to the 290x.

So which vender is the preferred one to get, they're all reference cards with reference coolers? I noticed some of the listings have lower than usual warranty coverage, MSI shows only one year.

So which vender is the preferred one to get, they're all reference cards with reference coolers? I noticed some of the listings have lower than usual warranty coverage, MSI shows only one year.

Thankfully that BS is illegal here. 2 years minimum in the EU, with my own country possibly superseding that in some cases :) We have strong warranty laws here in Ireland.

I think I'll wait for non reference models to come onto the market (290) and put it under water (reason for non-reference so as to get a more highly binned chip probably).

To go with OP - plan to buy 1. Have been gaming since the 3dfx 2000 days.
I have a feeling this release will go down as 1 of the best AMD/ATI releases since the r300.

Nothing will ever beat the 9700 (r300) for epicness...

i had the AIW version, i would have married that card if i could have.

If its that low cost then unless nvidia is totally clueless they need a large price drop with the 780s

our own is going up in 35 minutes...

Assuming Kyle doesn't get hit by a bus or something...

Back