The Official R9 270x, 280x and 290x Buyers Club Thread

In for 2, possibly 3 Sapphire ones. Just waiting for that button to go live.

ROFL.
These cards won't cost me anything out of pocket. ON a related note, I don't have my Idris anymore but I'm on the waiting list for another one which won't cost me anything out of pocket either. Connect the dots. ;)

<li class="price-current " itemprop="price" content="729.99" id="singleFinalPrice">
<meta itemprop="priceCurrency" content="USD">

</li>

$729.99 ... found in source code of the newegg site.. I'll be passing on that, maybe the non bundle version will be more reasonable.

Looks like other sites are picking up on what was found here last night with no referrals :mad: :

http://www.techpowerup.com/191909/radeon-r9-290x-priced-at-729-99-on-newegg-com.html

Might as well repost this also I guess.

I think there's actually some issues going on right now with the price with retailers and AMD

So we can assume they'll be $699 once the smoke clears and all the suckers have been weeded out. Nvidia, AMD, you have both lost your fucking minds.

Just a random thought, but... is there such thing as a 290 (as opposed to 290x)?

Haven't heard anything about it (besides the pre Sept 25 rumours of it being 9950). Is AMD releasing just a single new card (290x) this time around, with the rest being modified versions of 7000 series?

Just a random thought, but... is there such thing as a 290 (as opposed to 290x)?

Haven't heard anything about it (besides the pre Sept 25 rumours of it being 9950). Is AMD releasing just a single new card (290x) this time around, with the rest being modified versions of 7000 series?

Yes, 290 is a 6+6pin config so max 225w TDP.
Suggested to have 40CUs, (2560ALUs, 160TMUs). ROP config is unknown. It will have a 512bit bus, depending on final clocks for 290x, probably going to be clocked ~10% slower.
Performance likely ~GTX780.

So we can assume they'll be $699 once the smoke clears and all the suckers have been weeded out. Nvidia, AMD, you have both lost your fucking minds.

Nah, they do it because they can get away with it. No holds barred early adopters and epeen stretchers will pay any amount. :p

We're looking pretty screwed here. Hopefully those prices are wrong, even with BF4 this is setting a new standard of $100-$200 higher being the "norm" for the high-end single card GPU's.

After seeying this unfold today, I decided to get a HD 7970 GE for &#8364; 250, as it is about 90% as fast as a GTX 780 (which costs about &#8364; 600) in Battlefield 4 at 1920x1080. The Radeon R9-290X may seem like an upgrade to that, but it will also cost more than &#8364; 600 and I'm not sure it will be that much faster.
I don't care about e-peen, just about price-performance and the HD 79x0 cards have dropped to immensely good prices.

Newegg gouges on release, you guys know that.

I'm still betting $550... MAYBE $580.

Newegg gouges on release, you guys know that.

I'm still betting $550... MAYBE $580.

Yeah, but if NE's release price turns out to be $730 and the product's retail street price is $550-580 like you speculate, then would you believe a 25% price gouge on a GPU? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Titan was gouged about 10%.
i7-3770K was gouged about 10%.
...All NE new release price gouging seems to come in at around 10%.

I'm not betting on a $730 price factoring a 25% price gouge. $660-665 with a 10% gouge equates to roughly $730, and I would expect AMD to price their new born babies at more than the $650 mark.

Oh well...6-9 months from now the 290X will be $450-500 before rebates, right? :p

What's taking so long for the prices to go live?

wondering the same thing. it's possible they won't release the price before the pre-order goes live. looks like at OverclockersUK you put down a £99 deposit with an undisclosed balance due when the card ships. here's Anandtech's breakdown of what is known right now.

Thanks for the link, looks like the $730 - $750 price is legit for the BF4 edition, regular edition more likely $650.

If it includes BF4 + Premium then that's about $80 to $110 extra in cost and they're not giving anything away.

I'm confused as hell about this pricing.

If a new 7990 is $500 - 550 and clearly faster than a R9 290x .. or 2 x 7990's for around $500 - $550 new.

Why is this card going to be $750 dollars?

BTW, BF4 has been on sale for $40 - 45 a couple of times so far

Yeah, but if NE's release price turns out to be $730 and the product's retail street price is $550-580 like you speculate, then would you believe a 25% price gouge on a GPU? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Titan was gouged about 10%.
i7-3770K was gouged about 10%.
...All NE new release price gouging seems to come in at around 10%.

I'm not betting on a $730 price factoring a 25% price gouge. $660-665 with a 10% gouge equates to roughly $730, and I would expect AMD to price their new born babies at more than the $650 mark.

Oh well...6-9 months from now the 290X will be $450-500 before rebates, right? :p

Funny, my Titan wasn't gouged - I paid retail MSRP.

I've said it since the beginning R290X will be between $699-$799 and compete with 780. Titan will still be single GPU king compared to stock 290X. People thinking less than $600 are in dream land.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, looks like the $730 - $750 price is legit for the BF4 edition, regular edition more likely $650.

If it includes BF4 + Premium then that's about $80 to $110 extra in cost and they're not giving anything away.

that's the hunch i have; you pay for a $650 card and essentially full price for BF4 + Premium and all you're gaining is the convenience of it all coming in the same box.

Kyle or Brent - how about a vague hint regarding price and performance? :cool:

No way in hell they are going to post any degree of info about pricing or performance before the NDA lifts...[H] needs to keep it's reputation intact so future release day product reviews can keep happening.

Besides, there's already plenty of vague hints in this and all the other threads about R9 pricing and performance. Yes, I realize that these vague hints = speculation, but that's all we have right now and all we're going to get until Oct 15th. :)

According to a friend "in the business"... The 290x is the ONLY new AMD card that HASN'T been shipped to the press yet. So unless Kyle and the rest of the guys have some BIG pull with AMD, they most likely don't have a card for test benching just yet.

Important announcement from AMD just now via Facebook -

source - https://www.facebook.com/AMDGaming/posts/535192336553258

In celebration of the upcoming launches of two of the most important announcements in PC gaming this year, we&#8217;ve worked with EA to create the AMD Radeon R9 290X Battlefield 4 Limited Edition available, online for reservation starting today with select resellers and partners. There were only 8,000 of these made so make sure to add your name to the list before they&#8217;re all gone! Recommended AMD Radeon R9 290X pricing, specs and performance will be unveiled in the coming weeks. We haven&#8217;t released pricing and won&#8217;t comment on pricing seen on some e-tail outlets.

Important announcement from AMD just now via Facebook -

source - https://www.facebook.com/AMDGaming/posts/535192336553258

In celebration of the upcoming launches of two of the most important announcements in PC gaming this year, we&#8217;ve worked with EA to create the AMD Radeon R9 290X Battlefield 4 Limited Edition available, online for reservation starting today with select resellers and partners. There were only 8,000 of these made so make sure to add your name to the list before they&#8217;re all gone! Recommended AMD Radeon R9 290X pricing, specs and performance will be unveiled in the coming weeks. We haven&#8217;t released pricing and won&#8217;t comment on pricing seen on some e-tail outlets.

Who reserves something without knowing what it is going to cost them and the performance you will get? :rolleyes:

People who want BF4 premium and first dibs obviously.

There is a fairly large selection of Rabid BF fans...

People who want BF4 premium and first dibs obviously.

There is a fairly large selection of Rabid BF fans...

You aren't getting BF4 any earlier buying it with AMD. And no mention of Premium included.

Last edited:
Who reserves something without knowing what it is going to cost them and the performance you will get? :rolleyes:

People with enough disposable income. 8000 globally is not a lot of boards. There will be plenty of people willing to put in a reservation. I'd bet in most places, they will simply cancel and get a refund if the device or pricing does not live up to expectations.

Back