The Official R9 270x, 280x and 290x Buyers Club Thread

Eh... $650 is the most i'm willing to go. I think $600-$650 is a sweet spot price for this card. If the extra cost is from the bundle and can take BF4 and shove it and just sell me the card.

Yeah I will also pass if it's more than $600. Doesn't make sense at all.

2 brand new 7970's cost under $600. And 2 x 7970's will smoke a single R9 290x

Eh... $650 is the most i'm willing to go. I think $600-$650 is a sweet spot price for this card. If the extra cost is from the bundle and can take BF4 and shove it and just sell me the card.

Agree. $650 and not a cent higher, is the highest I'm willing to go. Heck, you can pick up a 7990 for $580 after rebate at newegg.

Maybe a placeholder price, US should be a bit cheaper, or same.

<li class="price-current " itemprop="price" content="729.99" id="singleFinalPrice">
<meta itemprop="priceCurrency" content="USD">

</li>

$729.99 ... found in source code of the newegg site.. I'll be passing on that, maybe the non bundle version will be more reasonable.

You got skillz, how the hell are you doing this. I'm sure it's easy for some people.

Now, can you tell us when these will go on sale?

<li class="price-current " itemprop="price" content="729.99" id="singleFinalPrice">
<meta itemprop="priceCurrency" content="USD">

</li>

$729.99 ... found in source code of the newegg site.. I'll be passing on that, maybe the non bundle version will be more reasonable.

Oh my... well, unless it totally blows away the 780 I'll pass.

You got skillz, how the hell are you doing this. I'm sure it's easy for some people.

Now, can you tell us when these will go on sale?

Sorry didn't see anything that hinted to what time they will go on sale/be available for pre-order. The $729.99 price is consistent with all the manufactures as well and compared to the Canadian prices I would say these are correct and not just a place holder.

That being said I'll be passing on these and hopefully can pick up a non-bundle card for $600-$650.

I'm only seeing this...

product_id:'14-127-757',
product_title:'MSI R9 290X 4GD5 Radeon R9 290X Video Card',
product_manufacture:'MSI',
product_unit_price:'PreRelease',
product_sale_price:'PreRelease',
product_type:'Newegg',
product_model:'R9 290X 4GD5',
product_instock:'0',
web_item_number:'N82E16814127757',
product_group_id:'0',
page_type:'Product',
site_region:'USA',
site_currency:'USD',
page_name:'ProductDetail',

<ul class="price price-product-cells is-price-coming-soon">
<li class="price-was "> </li>
<li class="price-map"></li>
<li class="price-current ">
<span class="price-current-label"></span>
<strong>COMING SOON</strong>
<span class="price-current-range">
</li>
<li class="price-save "> </li>
<li class="price-note"> </li>
<li class="price-ship"></li>
</ul>
<div class="call-to-a
What am I missing as to the pricing? EDIT: And, I'm dog tired, so could easily be overlooking something :p.

Last edited:
I can already tell this is going to be a bust. No way can I even comprehend spend $729 on a video card that's going to be slower than what I already have.

I would jump on 2 for $1200 dollars but I won't spend close to $1500

BTW, these might go on sale in about 22 mins. West Coast Time is still ticking down to midnight.

BF4 sale price is $48 through gamefly.com, if the $600 price holds true for the non limited edition then it's really over priced at $730

It would need to include BF4 and the Premium DLC - and it would still be over priced.

i've past the point of it being worthwhile for me to stay up and wait. alarm is going off in 5 hours. good luck to anyone staying up to snag one :)

Over in the UK they're taking £99 deposits.

**THIS IS NOT AN R290X FOR £99 - THIS IS A DEPOSIT for PRE-ORDER SLOT ONLY! YOU WILL NEED TO PAY ADDITIONAL MONEY MID - END OCTOBER!!**

You are placing a DEPOSIT / PRE-ORDER for your slot in the queue of R290X BF4 Edition Pre-Orders. Upon product launch in mid-end October you will need to pay the remaining fee which will be several hundred pounds

It is $750 at newegg.ca, so you can stop waiting for reviews

Not sure how that will effect the price in the USA.

Still want to see some reviews of the 290, 280X.

Don't really need a card but if this card was a really good value I could see myself getting one if the price wasn't to far out. HD7970 released at around $549.99. I can wait for a better price if release price on these new cards are out of my budget.

Don't really need a card but if this card was a really good value I could see myself getting one if the price wasn't to far out. HD7970 released at around $549.99. I can wait for a better price if release price on these new cards are out of my budget.

Well yes and as pricing of 7970 shows whenever AMD has performance to justify it they will use it to demand as high prices as possible.

Hmm... (while it's out of order), the one at Newegg has a "comes with BF4" tag. Which in itself isn't a surprise, but does this mean that R290x doesn't come with other games from the NeverSettle bundle?

So wait...people are actually paying money for cards that we have no idea how they will actually perform? We don't even know the final PRICE? We only have claims from the manufacturer on how they perform....really?

Man you guys are gullible.

Hmm... (while it's out of order), the one at Newegg has a "comes with BF4" tag. Which in itself isn't a surprise, but does this mean that R290x doesn't come with other games from the NeverSettle bundle?

That's a good question......

When I watched the AMD conference the other day, this 290X "pre-order" was specially bundled with BF4 only. No mention of the other games in their bundle.:D

Happy to buy at 600 -- tempting to buy at 650. Absolutely refuse to pay a dime more than $650. The 749 price tag is laughable, no way am i going to pay what amounts to almost a mortgage payment on my house for one fucking video card.

My two 7970's will hold me over just fine for another 6 months till these come down in price. My 7970's will hold me just fine for now.

So wait...people are actually paying money for cards that we have no idea how they will actually perform? We don't even know the final PRICE? We only have claims from the manufacturer on how they perform....really?

Fanbois will be fanbois I guess.

Well there are the leaked benchmarks and educated guesses based on the specs. I've found over the years that the consensus speculation regarding yet-to-be-released video cards is usually accurate.

Fanbois will be fanbois I guess.

Yes indeed, you'll meet as many of them in the NV camp as you do in the AMD camp.

Not that I've a personal like or dislike towards either of them but honestly people should wait for some reviews before ordering just about anything, but at the end of the day it is their money and it's their choice on how they want to spend it.

Well, after mulling over the $750 price tag i figured that if I'd wanted to be fleeced $500+ on a card I would've bought an nvidia card prior to this, but I don't.

Perceived value is an interesting thing, it could be 3x faster & i still wouldn't spend $750. Only reason I would is if it could mine it's price back in a couple months, which is doubtful.

Moving on to seeing the other cards pricing shakeup.

Perceived value is an interesting thing, it could be 3x faster & i still wouldn't spend $750. Only reason I would is if it could mine it's price back in a couple months, which is doubtful.

Theoretically neglecting the price of electricity (due to coming winter & useful heat generation),
If the card were 1.5 faster in mining than a 7950 (which I estimate the 290x will achieve approx 850-900 kH/s), it would take approx 16 months for the card to pay for itself at $750 at current LTC/$ conversion. But if it were 3x faster than a 7950 (highly unlikely), then it would only take ~8 months to pay for itself.

So yeah, don't buy them to mine.

Theoretically neglecting the price of electricity (due to coming winter & useful heat generation),
If the card were 1.5 faster in mining than a 7950 (which I estimate the 290x will achieve approx 850-900 kH/s), it would take approx 16 months for the card to pay for itself at $750 at current LTC/$ conversion. But if it were 3x faster than a 7950 (highly unlikely), then it would only take ~8 months to pay for itself.

Yeah -- the handfull of 7970's and 7950s i mined with... in winter time the extra money was essentially "free" due to keeping the place warm.

I'm going to have to keep my place warm somehow -- it's either spend money on electric, gas, or firewood. This is the first year i have gas/firewood option, so I will have to do a cost benefit on that.

In the past -- my heat was always electric, I'd rather spend the money to heat my place with GPU heat... at least I have a payout afterwards.

Don't forget difficulty increases...

Oh, i was just refering to mining to offset some of that inflated cost. The time for gpu mining is long past... it was fun while it lasted, my 5870s & 5830s made many, many, many times their cost in mining's hayday.

By the time I game 750+ hours to see the cost at $1 per hour of gaming (my breakeven barameter I guess), I figure it'll be 4+ generations or so later anyways, so no rush. Or sell it probably at a good loss.

I've just been trying to view these "funny" prices on consumer items from different perspectives.

If your buying these to mine bitcoins your doing it wrong. :)

Has anybody actually bitten on one of these yet?

Well, you can't order them on newegg, can't find them on Amazon, and other prices are exorbitant. So, I'm thinking most haven't.

Back