The Official R9 270x, 280x and 290x Buyers Club Thread

Are we expecting midnight for diligent retailers to start listing? Is that typical?

Last edited:
I would assume so, midnight to early morning hours. Retailer like Newegg should be pretty quick on the draw. I'am guessing the lack of pushing this pre-order is due to the small number of availability. If they advertised it a lot would maybe have a ton of people lined up ready to pre-order and causing problems for world wide retailers to no overshoot availability numbers.

Geez, is this going to push 7970's down to like $200? they are already some nice ones for $269 after rebate...

No that's correct, that price is with VAT. Without VAT it's about $850, not to mention this is a price subject to change and is before official AMD suggested prices.

I totally expect it to be around the $600-$650 mark, at the most $700 with the bundle package.

Don't worry about prices in Norway, Sweden, etc etc. Those countries are very very expensive for PC hardware.

I know, I sell / trade hardware to a guy in Oslo who works for Funcom, for 13 - 14 years now.

AMD has never sold a high-end video card for anywhere close to $700 dollars. That's Nvidia, not AMD.

Don't worry about prices in Norway, Sweden, etc etc. Those countries are very very expensive for PC hardware.

I know, I sell / trade hardware to a guy in Oslo who works for Funcom, for 13 - 14 years now.

AMD has never sold a high-end video card for anywhere close to $700 dollars. That's Nvidia, not AMD.

7990 ring a bell?

First of all, Titan, the 7990 etc are very niche products.

The 7970 did very well for AMD because if it's price and performance. They are not going to take the same exact product in regards to market expectations and price themselves out of that market with some crazy price. It's simple math. 2 x 7970's in X-Fire are going to out perform the R9 290x and for around $500+ NEW. AMD wants repeat sells / new and established buyers buying new generation hardware, not people scratching their heads and instead buying or keeping their 7970s.

Common sense ring a bell?

Last edited:
First of all, Titan, the 7990 etc are very niche products.

LOL, but you did mention amd as never selling a video card for over $700. You contradicted yourself.

I'm still guessing $550-650 will end up being the price, but you never know.

I didn't contradict myself, I'm clearly and obviously talking about the norm, not the extreme.

If you're expecting it to be priced at $500, be prepared to get disappointed. If it's priced anywhere between $550-600, most people will be happy with that.

I've not seen anyone anywhere talking about or expecting the R9 290x to cost $500, at least not anyone you could take serious. I think most are expecting $550 - $599

AMD's pricing structure has always been simple.

1) If the hardware under performs compared to what is already available on the market, they will undercut the competition by at least 10%.

2) If the hardware performs equally or is slightly better, it'll be priced slightly more.

3) If the hardware performs noticeably better than what is on the market, it'll be $600+.

I would really be curious to see those $600 AMD cards and what their exact competition was. Would be an interesting read

AMD's pricing structure has always been simple.

1) If the hardware under performs compared to what is already available on the market, they will undercut the competition by at least 10%.

2) If the hardware performs equally or is slightly better, it'll be priced slightly more.

3) If the hardware performs noticeably better than what is on the market, it'll be $600+.

Don't agree. The 5870 launched at 400$ and destroyed the GTX 285, and nvidia didn't have an answer with the hot and loud GTX 480 for 7 months. I still considered the 5870 better than the 480, although nvidia has made significant strides for the better in terms of efficiency. The 480 was really a hot and loud piece of junk though IMO. I did, however, like the GTX 580.

The $600 price point is in reference of the upcoming AMD 290X part. It's not in relation to past AMD GPU releases. Reason why I used " it'll " in the statement :).

I still considered the 5870 better than the 480

Gtx 480's ended up being faster than 5870's over time though. Under water, 470's and 480's screamed.

I'm just hoping the reference blower on the 290x isn't leaf blower loud, compared to the blowers nvidia uses on the 780 & titan.

Sapphire is pretty good too, though I personally prefer Msi. XFX on the other hand....

Does anyone know anything about the length of the 290x? Im worried it wont fit in the Raven RV02, especially if the power connectors are on the bottom.

And now then... who will be releasing a waterblock for it within the next week or two, is the real question. Come on Heatkiller or Aquacomputer! Gimme some looooooooove!

Stopped by Koolance's HQ on the way home from work, they said "No plans on a block for the 290X" :(

There we go, will probably roll with ASUS. Nothing against the other companies but I've had numerous ASUS products with no complaints.

wait there will only be 8k 290X's or just the BF4 edition? won't the normal 290X's run BF4 and mantle just fine?

$750 lol. Newegg is either price gouging, or amd is indeed pricing this card a lot higher than most reasonable people expected.

I wonder if the included bf4 bundle, plays a role in this.

I should save my money lol. Seriously, my x-fire 7970's are pretty beast.

"This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass"

Back