The Official R9 270x, 280x and 290x Buyers Club Thread

I wonder just how high those cards can go up in temp before it's considered "unsafe / bad" for the cards.

what are your guys' temps, and do you run the cards in uber mode

I have two cards. Overclocking is by Afterburner. Power slider to 150%. CCC fan slider to 100%. Uber mode BIOS setting.

My MSI will run 1100 MHz, pegged at 100% and show 93C with the fan at 50%.

My XFX card started artifacting at 1100 MHz and froze up. Same temp and fan speed.

The best clock so far on the XFX is 1075 MHZ, any higher, even 5 MHz will cause artifacting.

This is on an open air bench, fan also focused on the GPU, 850W PSU, and 24" monitor 1920 x 1200 running Heaven Benchmark DX 11, full settings except for AA.

Tried to run 2x R290x's in Crossfire on my Asus P8P67 board and since it only has 8/4 pci-e lanes when running two cards in CF I am getting negative scaling with CF enabled :mad:

My guess is with no more CF bridge the 8/4 pci-e is killing the CF performance.

Still getting decent performance with just the 1 card- 30-35 FPS on BF4 maxed Ultra settings at 3240x1920:)

How are you running that resolution? Like what is the native of each monitor and how many are you running?

Also you should get a new MB one that does 8x 8x (16x 16x doesn't saturate iirc)

I have two cards. Overclocking is by Afterburner. Power slider to 150%. CCC fan slider to 100%. Uber mode BIOS setting.

My MSI will run 1100 MHz, pegged at 100% and show 93C with the fan at 50%.

My XFX card started artifacting at 1100 MHz and froze up. Same temp and fan speed.

The best clock so far on the XFX is 1075 MHZ, any higher, even 5 MHz will cause artifacting.

This is on an open air bench, fan also focused on the GPU, 850W PSU, and 24" monitor 1920 x 1200 running Heaven Benchmark DX 11, full settings except for AA.

Do you see any performance increase with OCing? Also 50% fan and the card going 100% is very tolerable imo. Are you positive it's using 100% of that 1100mhz?

Turns out my Seasonic 600 PSU powers my card fine. The card comes with a 2x molex to 8 pin adapter if anyone is curious. I'm currently running the following settings:

1050Mhz core
1275Mhz memory
Power Limit: 30% (no throttling at all at this setting)* anyone know exactly what this does?
Target GPU temp: 95
Max Fan Speed: 100%

While stress testing it runs at 92 degrees with 60% fan usage. Very tolerable and I am very happy.

BF4 @ 2560x1440p, Ultra, maxed out settings, 55 FPS average measured with Fraps over 10 minutes in 64 player server.

Can someone with R9 290X CFX and an overclock post their BF4 MP results.
I would like to compare :).

Should have atleast a 2500K or higher CPU at around ~4.5 GHz to be comparable.

Turns out my Seasonic 600 PSU powers my card fine. The card comes with a 2x molex to 8 pin adapter if anyone is curious. I'm currently running the following settings:

1050Mhz core
1275Mhz memory
Power Limit: 30% (no throttling at all at this setting)* anyone know exactly what this does?
Target GPU temp: 95
Max Fan Speed: 100%

While stress testing it runs at 92 degrees with 60% fan usage. Very tolerable and I am very happy.

BF4 @ 2560x1440p, Ultra, maxed out settings, 55 FPS average measured with Fraps over 10 minutes in 64 player server.

Is that with AA? Still pretty damn impressive.

Is that with AA? Still pretty damn impressive.

Here's my settings:

bf4settings.jpg

AA post is off... I read that it should be with AA deferred on 4x. I've tried both and could not tell any difference in quality or FPS.

and a quick 5 minute run

FPS.png

so do most people here set the fan to 100% in the CCC?

I think most will. Remember though it's the MAX fan speed not a static setting. This just allows the fan to run to 100% if the GPU gets hot enough.

I just tested mine during an hour of BF4, never got above 45% fan usage and stayed rock rolid at 92 degrees.

I think most will. Remember though it's the MAX fan speed not a static setting. This just allows the fan to run to 100% if the GPU gets hot enough.

I just tested mine during an hour of BF4, never got above 45% fan usage and stayed rock rolid at 92 degrees.

why AMD set the defaults so low even in Uber mode makes no sense

In BF4 after a multiplayer match, the fan ramps up like mad as it's churning out 130fps in the menu. I don't know why, probably more stressful than the rest of the game... Maybe a good reason to use an FPS limiter ?

Hello everyone - snagged an Asus R9 290X at work off of Newegg today :p Ordered rush delivery, 3 day shipping, but apparently it is arriving later today :eek:

I have been looking into alternative cooling solutions and am looking strongly towards the Prolimatech MK-26 but I am wondering if anyone can advise me a bit. I've seen this guide, so I know the basic procedure. However, the Alpenfohn VGA Coolers do not seem to be availible in the U.S..

Are any fellow Americans considering this route? Can anyone suggest an alternative passive DRAM heatsinks to the strictly-European Alpenfohn?

Thanks!

I haven't really put my MSI 290X through its paces yet, but I did notice that Rift really likes it over my R6990; without changing any settings in-game (I'd have to pop in to doublecheck, but I'd probably flag nearly everything at about mid-level or higher), it appears to have gone from an average of around 25-40 FPS to 40-60 at 2560x1600. Flip side, it does indeed run hotter--the 6990 typically topped out somewhere around 83C going full blast, and this monster's clearing 87C after a couple of minutes in a closed HAF X with four 200mm fans going...

anyone having black screen crashes with their 290x? mine is fine in games for a few minutes then display goes blank at times.

how are everyone's overclocks? with no voltage adjustment available my card tops out at 1050 core and 1350 memory. i haven't maxed out the memory overclock yet, that's just where i've stopped for the time being.

Question:

Does everysingle 290x come with bf4? Mine is the gigabyte one from Amazon and it on the box it has a big picture of bf4 and even says bf4 edition. I dunno if I get the game for free though?

EDIT:

1HTVD9V.jpg

Yea I just opened up my box and saw my code. I feel like I got an amazing deal cause I got this card for 550 and most of the cards with bf4 are selling for 580 iirc.

Question:

Does everysingle 290x come with bf4? Mine is the gigabyte one from Amazon and it on the box it has a big picture of bf4 and even says bf4 edition. I dunno if I get the game for free though?

EDIT:

<snip>
Nope, my HIS version, that I also paid $549 for, did not come with BF4 (though apparently there is an HIS version that does come with it).

anyone having black screen crashes with their 290x? mine is fine in games for a few minutes then display goes blank at times.

Have you tried the other DVI or HDMI? Or does the whole computer lock up?

Soon to be 290X owner here!

I managed to get my order in for a XFX 290X off newegg when they were in stock for 4 minutes on Thursday night :D. I got overnight shipping so it'll arrive Monday.. picked a perfect time to take my dinner break that night lol. I got the auto-notify at 7:40pm, checked out and paid at 7:42 off of my phone and it was out of stock at 7:44pm.

I'll be trying out some eyefinity gaming once the card arrives on BF4 as well as Arma 3 to see how she does. The last time I had a nice eyefinity set up was when I did Quadfire with 2 6990s few years back. Resolution will be somewhere around 5850-5960x1080, I forget the exact number once you figure in bezel compensation. I game on all low settings when I do multiplayer so hopefully the card can keep up. If not, then I'll upgrade my center monitor to a 120hz and enjoy that for a while.

Will post back with screenshots and some performance numbers once I get set up.

I was getting the random black screens also, just removed driver and refreshed from Device manager on windows 7. I'am still getting random crashes in BF Bad company 2, also crashed in gta 4, also crashed on new tomb raider game, not sure what the hell is going on with this card, My 580gtx ran everything perfectly fine with zero crashes. I'am getting the same feeling as with my 5870 when that came out, you would get random black screens too, took them a wile to fix the driver issue.

I was getting the random black screens also, just removed driver and refreshed from Device manager on windows 7. I'am still getting random crashes in BF Bad company 2, also crashed in gta 4, also crashed on new tomb raider game, not sure what the hell is going on with this card, My 580gtx ran everything perfectly fine with zero crashes. I'am getting the same feeling as with my 5870 when that came out, you would get random black screens too, took them a wile to fix the driver issue.

PSU? System specs? Not seeing this as a universal problem so it may not be the card rather your system wasn't ready for it! Just shot in the dark. Or maybe AMD is out to get you. :D I'd be pissed off, too--don't get me wrong. I would be troubleshooting it, though, not just assuming it was a bad card/bad driver.

Couldn't get my new 280x working in Xfire with my 7950--yes, it works, and AMD said it would work. But I had to go through some shit to make it work.

20131102_034444_zps191133e0.jpg

My current system is I7 970 @ 4.2, 18gigs of G.Skill memory , Asus x58 formula iii, 750watt power supply. Prior card before 290x was my 580gtx which i overclocked and system had zero problems for 3 years straight, since the card came out. So its the new card that seems to be the only catalyst(no pun intended) in my pc that triggered the crashing and random black screens, I dont think it s a defective card, just crappy drivers, I pay the price for getting new stuff that still running on beta drivers. But overall i like the performance, Bf 4 funny enough runs fine if you can connect to a server and does not crash, and also haven benchmarks dont crash either, pretty sure its crappy drivers.

My current system is I7 970 @ 4.2, 18gigs of G.Skill memory , Asus x58 formula iii, 750watt power supply. Prior card before 290x was my 580gtx which i overclocked and system had zero problems for 3 years straight, since the card came out. So its the new card that seems to be the only catalyst(no pun intended) in my pc that triggered the crashing and random black screens, I dont think it s a defective card, just crappy drivers, I pay the price for getting new stuff that still running on beta drivers. But overall i like the performance, Bf 4 funny enough runs fine if you can connect to a server and does not crash, and also haven benchmarks dont crash either, pretty sure its crappy drivers.

after uninstalling the beta 8 drivers and reinstalling and removing raptr it seems to resolved the black screens for now. battlefield sp which would crash after 5 minutes now is running fine and other games as well.

I got 2 Club3D 290X inbound with Club3D MST Hub and also 2 EK Nickel/Plexi waterblocks. Should be here Wed or so....

I really wish the Asus DC2T 280X was in stock somewhere. Might just grab the MSI model though.

Last edited:

Interesting, I haven't seen any crashes on my system, though I don't play BF4. I have played Arkham Origins and a lot of Saints Row IV (hilarious game, btw). One odd thing that's possibly related that I *have* noticed is that on my triple monitor setup, when starting a game in non-Eyefinity mode, occasionally my third monitor will go black. Cycling the power on the monitor seems to fix it.

Has there been any word on the street anywhere as to why these things are so supply constrained? Is it due to yield problems or is TSMC just maxed out making parts for the XBO, PS4, plus normal AMD and Nvidia volume? Early initial demand?

Has there been any word on the street anywhere as to why these things are so supply constrained? Is it due to yield problems or is TSMC just maxed out making parts for the XBO, PS4, plus normal AMD and Nvidia volume? Early initial demand?

Hmm, from what I've heard, AMD are just plain selling A LOT of cards right now. This is further confirmed (to me) by the "fire sale" nvidia switched to last week.

With the cards priced much lower then Nvidia's at launch, while netting the same if not more performance, they are selling like hot cakes. Plus it's new release so demand is usually high.

So anandtech.com bench says that the 7970 GE / 280X is faster than the GTX 770. I'm looking at both and AMD is cheaper and faster. What am I missing?

Physx?

Well, that... and "faster" depends on the game. For certain games (such as BF4 and future FB3 games), AMD cards will be faster. For other games, NV will be faster.

I love how 2 weeks after launch Microcenter still doesn't even list the damn card yet. You'd think a store devoted entirely to computer electronics would be on top of something like this.

Back