The Official R9 270x, 280x and 290x Buyers Club Thread

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
Note - Price and Performance for the R9 290x has yet to be determined. However, I think it's safe to assume this will be a top performing card regardless of cost or performance as it relates to the 780 / Titan

Ok, so I moved $1200 over to my checking account from savings.

I'm all ready for 12:01am the 3rd the bang out browser refresh's until these pre-orders pop up on Newegg for the R9 290x. This could take an hour to a good handful of hours until they appear.

Energy drinks - CHECK!

I plan to buy 2 x R9 290x's. The price hasn't been announced but could be $599 or $649 per card.

Also, AMD has partnered up with EA and there will be a very limited edition of 8000 units of a special R9 290x Battlefield 4 bundle. supposedly, the video card will ship first with a voucher to claim BF4 when it launches. It's unclear to me if other vendors will have cards available the 3rd for pre-order. It could just be this bundle. It is also unclear if BF4 will be apart of AMD's new never ever settle bundle for the R9.

Source - http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-battlefield-4-edition-8000-specs-pre-order_125224

Some sites have a reported a Oct 15th release or rather the end date for the R9 NDA to expire which often also means the release of the hardware. This is the assumption of the community / common sense.

Source - http://www.techpowerup.com/191704/radeon-r9-290x-launch-date-revealed.html

Who else is buying???????????? And when?

Note to fanbois and haters, keep the thread constructive. This is about who is buying the card. If you don't plan on buying the card, please, do not shit on everyone elses party with sarcastic speculation. Thank you.

Last edited:
I think it's hard to be in line to buy one of these 290X cards when you don't know what they can do, or how much they will cost.

I saw something today about that BF4 thing being pushed back until the NDA is lifted and reviews come out.

I think it was bullshit of AMD to announce a pre-order without any info.

That being said.....I'm ready to sell off my 7970s and buy a couple of the 290X if they look good.
I'm going to wait this time until I see some reviews and there are waterblocks.....I'm setting a time fame of around Christmas......I'm not in any real hurry, maybe AMD will also have some drivers that work this time.

I just want a couple of the reference models to watercool.:D

I'm waiting either for a new 290x, or a deal on some 7970s. Depends on where the "sweetspot" will be.

Mind you I'm still using my everything oc'd 5870 I bought at launch, and other than cleaning & new thermal paste, that card has been amazing. But I feel this is a good time to upgrade.... ;)

Im sooo temted to get my hands on one ASAP, but i don't like ref cooler...so i holding back until custom coolers arrive

Lets buy an 290X that has the same performance as the 780 at the same price!

If it's bundled with BF4 and you were already planning on getting that game, then it's a way better deal assuming they both OC similarly.

I think it's hard to be in line to buy one of these 290X cards when you don't know what they can do, or how much they will cost.

I saw something today about that BF4 thing being pushed back until the NDA is lifted and reviews come out.

I think it was bullshit of AMD to announce a pre-order without any info.

Quoted for truth, article link too: http://videocardz.com/46196/amd-postpones-preoders-on-radeon-r9-290x-with-battlefield-4-bundle (source SWEclockers). However if the cards turn out to be really good I'll consider grabbing one or two of the 290's but I'm going to wait and see pricing/perf/driver-pacing first.

Yeah, if it only matches at same pricing, I'll just stick with a set of 670 4GB SLI I just ordered for ~$500 shipped already that's due in tomorrow. But as I said, if the 290 presents a strong value and the crossfire issues are worked out with the new hardware, I'll be giving it thought.

Ok, so apparently Phishy714 has a 780, Titan and new R9 290x and has blessed us with his very basic and brief review. As he said, I guess the performance numbers and cost are the same as the 780. Any more asshat comments?

Ok, so apparently Phishy714 has a 780, Titan and new R9 290x and has blessed us with his very basic and brief review. As he said, I guess the performance numbers and cost are the same as the 780. Any more asshat comments?

Rumors are that the 290X will perform about what he said, and be priced about the same. What's your point? He wasn't making a "review" and I don't get how stating facts as to the current known info is making "asshat comments". :confused:

What we do know as fact is AMD has never demonstrated any kind of price gauging as to what Nvidia is very well known for. The price could be $550, it could be $600, maybe even $650 or higher.

As far as the performance goes, I think everyone concerned who's not a fanboi or biased probably and intelligently so, expects performance to be slightly higher than Titan.

The world awaits!

Wait, "stating facts"? What facts, wait ... there actually is an official review out there that we all know to be legit from a trusted source? Well ok then. I stand corrected, apparently Phishy was "stating facts" which is like totally different than a "review" lmao.

Anyways

What we do know as fact is AMD has never demonstrated any kind of price gauging as to what Nvidia is very well known for. The price could be $550, it could be $600, maybe even $650 or higher.

As far as the performance goes, I think everyone concerned who's not a fanboi or biased probably and intelligently so, expects performance to be slightly higher than Titan.

The world awaits!

$500 680 vs $550 7970 ring a bell? I can't understand how you'd call a high-end video card "price gouging" though when it's hardly a basic essential of life :p. I know you're excited, and I love video card releases too, but don't get over-hyped until we have firmer rumors.

Wait, "stating facts"? What facts, wait ... there actually is an official review out there that we all know to be legit from a trusted source? Well ok then. I stand corrected, apparently Phishy was "stating facts" which is like totally different than a "review" lmao.

Anyways

Facts as to what rumors are out there, please don't read half a sentence then blurt out a reply.

Personally, due to the lack of crossfire and eyefinity drivers, I decided to just buy 3 u2713hm monitors instead and stick with my gtx 690. I really wanted to get this card, but I just can't justify spending the money on 2 cards to push my 30s without the eyefinity patches. I needed to standardize my monitors anyway so that I can switch back and forth between companies depending on who has the best product.

$500 680 vs $550 7970 ring a bell? I can't understand how you'd call a high-end video card "price gouging" though when it's hardly a basic essential of life :p. I know you're excited, and I love video card releases too, but don't get over-hyped until we have firmer rumors.

Facts as to what rumors are out there, please don't read half a sentence then blurt out a reply.

Rumors ≠ facts

As for the thread, I plan on buying 290x or a 7990 depending on price/features. 8 game bundle is nice with 7990...

Last edited:
I'm aiming for a custom R290x -- hopefully they will come out sometime this year. Also hoping that the R290x will match the TITAN and have lots of overclocking headroom ...

I'm planning on getting a reference R9-290X preorder as I'm going to buy BF4 anyway and I need a good card for 1080p. I was eyeing the GTX 780 but I'm feeling the R9-290X more, because it will probably save me money and AMD has shown some seriously nice technology. I'm very interested in their audio tech. This is going in an Ncase M1 when it arrives.

But facts about this pre-order are still very fuzzy: I don't know where I would be able to get one. The http:///AMDRedTeam links to an AMD Facebook page and I don't have a Facebook account, will this be a problem ? Will I even be able to get one here in Belgium ? It's all so lacking in information, while it is 3 days away.

But facts about this pre-order are still very fuzzy: I don't know where I would be able to get one. The http:///AMDRedTeam links to an AMD Facebook page and I don't have a Facebook account, will this be a problem ? Will I even be able to get one here in Belgium ? It's all so lacking in information, while it is 3 days away.

I'd rather wait for official specs and pricing before pre-ordering. Unlike others, I don't fall for hype (especially amd's).

It makes little to no sense, to have the ability to pre-order the card on the 3rd or 4th, with the official specs and pricing coming in the 15th.

If my memory serves me correctly, and sometimes it does not, weren't the AMD 7970's priced higher at launch ($600+) than the nVidia 680's ($500+), while performing less? What about the FX-8150 released at $360, when a higher performing i5-2500K ($220) or i7-2600K ($330) could be had? This could be territory of talking semantics, but I feel AMD has been very proud of their products on launch day, regardless of how they perform. Their mantra for the past few years seems to be "Price them high, get lambasted by the review sites, then lower the prices!" To me, that's a strong definition of price gouging.

I am expecting as much. I'd like to see at least a 10% advantage over a Titan, as well as less power consumption vs the 7970. I've got high hopes for R9, and I'm really hoping AMD doesn't disappoint this go around. There needs to be a higher level of fierce competition so these out of control GPU prices can be tamed. AMD has done a very nice job so far with their Never Settle bundles, and I'm very glad to see that continue with their next gen.

It'll be at least November before anyone has a waterblock for the card anyway, so no reason to rush.

I'm joining the 290x club soon as they let us buy one...They need to hurry up!!!!

Rumors ≠ facts

As for the thread, I plan on buying 290x or a 7990 depending on price/features. 8 game bundle is nice with 7990...

Fact is that the rumors are not clear. Read whole sentences then reply not just fragments bud. :rolleyes:

Rumors are that the 290X will perform about what he said, and be priced about the same. What's your point? He wasn't making a "review" and I don't get how stating facts as to the current known info is making "asshat comments". :confused:

actually rumours are that it performs better than a titan and is priced cheaper than a 780.

actually rumours are that it performs better than a titan and is priced cheaper than a 780.

Yep, The leaked benchmarks at chiphell show it trading blows with the Titan, beating it in most tests. Chiphell leaks have generally been reliable leading up to GPU launches, they were accurate for both the 680 and 7970; the leaked chiphell benchmarks for both of those cards were accurate - keep in mind that the dudes at Chiphell are from China and TW where all of our hardware is produced, they can get easy access (well, some of them) without concerns of NDA.

That said, a leak is a leak and isn't comparable to a real review, so take it with a large grain of salt. If it does indeed trade blows with a Titan for 600$, i'd say that's pretty darn impressive. We'll see, though, I guess. I'm guessing Titan will win all TWIMTBP games and what not, while the R9 will win it's fair share as well. I'm just curious as to overall percentages and numbers which we won't see until the 15th apparently.

Wrtong....

From a vendor directly: Gibbo of OCUK, "R290 X unfortunately I cannot release pricing or specification info yet, but price wise its similar to GTX 780 but slightly faster, right now, of course AMD could change the launch price at any time."

And videocardz as to other rumors: http://videocardz.com/46115/amd-radeon-r9-290x-cost-similar-gtx-780

As I said, fact is, the rumors are not firm yet.

Yep, The leaked benchmarks at chiphell show it trading blows with the Titan, beating it in most tests. Chiphell leaks have generally been reliable leading up to GPU launches, they were accurate for both the 680 and 7970. That said, a leak is a leak and isn't comparable to a real review, so take it with a large grain of salt. If it does indeed trade blows with a Titan for 600$, i'd say that's pretty darn impressive. We'll see, though, I guess.

Rumors I read said that rumor was overclocked R290 X, so we really just don't know yet.

I'm aiming for two 290x. Hopefully we got more info where to pre-order and how much before I pull the trigger. I doubt I can get two but one is fine for now if the performance is good. If it's not, then it's time to sell and hop on the nvidia price drop wagon.

Quoted for truth, article link too: http://videocardz.com/46196/amd-postpones-preoders-on-radeon-r9-290x-with-battlefield-4-bundle (source SWEclockers). However if the cards turn out to be really good I'll consider grabbing one or two of the 290's but I'm going to wait and see pricing/perf/driver-pacing first.
This is a big let down, and right before the card is released. I don't think there will be very many on the 15th, most will probably end up on Ebay for $1000+.

I'll wait a couple months for all the BS to die down before making my choice.

Last edited:
Rumors I read said that rumor was overclocked R290 X, so we really just don't know yet.

I don't know, I took that as more of a turbo speed similar to what GPU Boost or what the GHz edition cards do with their weaker version of GPU boost.

I do share your sentiment though. We'll just have to wait and see on the 15th; I certainly don't place 100% confidence in rumors or leaks.

I don't know, I took that as more of a turbo speed similar to what GPU Boost or what the GHz edition cards do with their weaker version of GPU boost.

I do share your sentiment though. We'll just have to wait and see on the 15th; I certainly don't place 100% confidence in rumors or leaks.

Yeah, definitely. I'm cautiously optimistic due to that, but I don't want to get excited over rumors that are as stable as Jello yet. Heck for the longest time right up until launch people thought the 780 was a 40rop, 320-bit part with 2496sp with low clocks, instead it hit as a 2304sp, 384-bit, 48rop part with higher clocks than expected. It can go either way on a given launch so unless I see a torn-down card being leaked about I'm not going to assume anything one way or the other.

^ I remember people claiming before the titan launched, of it being faster than the 690. I always take rumors with a grain of salt. Plus, amd doesn't exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to hype (bulldozer).

Wrtong....

From a vendor directly: Gibbo of OCUK, "R290 X unfortunately I cannot release pricing or specification info yet, but price wise its similar to GTX 780 but slightly faster, right now, of course AMD could change the launch price at any time."

And videocardz as to other rumors: http://videocardz.com/46115/amd-radeon-r9-290x-cost-similar-gtx-780

As I said, fact is, the rumors are not firm yet.

since so many have pointed out, titan is only slightly faster than a 780, so slightly faster can still be faster than a titan, and $50 cheaper is still "similar" in pricing.

so what's wrong exactly?

Will probably drop one into one of my machines in December, will see how we go.

Note - Price and Performance for the R9 290x has yet to be determined. However, I think it's safe to assume this will be a top performing card regardless of cost or performance as it relates to the 780 / Titan

Ok, so I moved $1200 over to my checking account from savings.

I'm all ready for 12:01am the 3rd the bang out browser refresh's until these pre-orders pop up on Newegg for the R9 290x. This could take an hour to a good handful of hours until they appear.

Energy drinks - CHECK!

I plan to buy 2 x R9 290x's. The price hasn't been announced but could be $599 or $649 per card.

Also, AMD has partnered up with EA and there will be a very limited edition of 8000 units of a special R9 290x Battlefield 4 bundle. supposedly, the video card will ship first with a voucher to claim BF4 when it launches. It's unclear to me if other vendors will have cards available the 3rd for pre-order. It could just be this bundle. It is also unclear if BF4 will be apart of AMD's new never ever settle bundle for the R9.

Source - http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-battlefield-4-edition-8000-specs-pre-order_125224

Some sites have a reported a Oct 15th release or rather the end date for the R9 NDA to expire which often also means the release of the hardware. This is the assumption of the community / common sense.

Source - http://www.techpowerup.com/191704/radeon-r9-290x-launch-date-revealed.html

Who else is buying???????????? And when?

Note to fanbois and haters, keep the thread constructive. This is about who is buying the card. If you don't plan on buying the card, please, do not shit on everyone elses party with sarcastic speculation. Thank you.

How can you plan to buy something you know nothing about in terms of true price and performance? Sounds pretty fanboyish to me!

since so many have pointed out, titan is only slightly faster than a 780, so slightly faster can still be faster than a titan, and $50 cheaper is still "similar" in pricing.

so what's wrong exactly?

Titan is sometimes much more faster than the 780, depending on tests. Also, nothing is stopping nVidia from dropping the price of the Titan or 780. They'd still be making $.

Prepare to be disappointed, I think.

Last edited:

so what's wrong exactly?

I wasn't saying anything was "wrong", just the rumors aren't firm and seem to offer no real reason for people to switch from already-similar setups if that's what it comes out like. Also the $600 price was debunked by Kyle sitting next to a hardware rep in Hawaii... he asked if the $600 price was right and the rep shook his head no. So it's either going to be more expensive in which case if it's the same price, why would anyone switch... or it'll be much cheaper and include BF4 in which case it becomes a great deal.

I thought there was a r9 290 (non x)? Any word on that card? That is what I am eyeing.

in for one 290x - not that the 7970 has been bad but the plan x-fire it with a 7990 just didn't make sense with driver issues. Single card seems to win out when it comes to issues.

I wasn't saying anything was "wrong", just the rumors aren't firm and seem to offer no real reason for people to switch from already-similar setups if that's what it comes out like. Also the $600 price was debunked by Kyle sitting next to a hardware rep in Hawaii... he asked if the $600 price was right and the rep shook his head no. So it's either going to be more expensive in which case if it's the same price, why would anyone switch... or it'll be much cheaper and include BF4 in which case it becomes a great deal.

your first word in the reply to my post is "wrtong" which i assume is "wrong" misspelled... =)

your first word in the reply to my post is "wrtong" which i assume is "wrong" misspelled... =)

Yes, a typo, not a mis-spelling ;). I meant that it's wrong to say any of these rumors are facts yet. While it's a fact the rumors aren't very solid, that is :). Just to clarify.

Back