The OFFICIAL post pics of your SFF thread...

desk2.jpg

chr, very nice clean looking setup you've got there, but those JBL creature speakers are gawd awful IMO. :p

I some of you folks don't care much for the Aria, but I'm posting my images anyway. Yes, it's completely stock. No mods yet.

Aria

M3at said:
I some of you folks don't care much for the Aria, but I'm posting my images anyway. Yes, it's completely stock. No mods yet.

Aria

I dunno what it is....there's nothing deathly wrong with that thing, but there's just SOMEthing about it that rubs me the wrong way. :p

LyCoS said:
pitty you had to take the mesh out.. you could have gotten a gpu waterblock that fit... OR you could have modded it all the way to actually make it look like it was meant to be ... :rolleyes:

Quit being a asshole.

Daemia said:
Quit being a asshole.

Agreed.....even if it was digging up a fairly old post that most of us just looked past.

There's no need for attitude like that....and if you're just joking, at least add a ;) so it's possible to tell.

atlwriter, got any different shots of the SFF? I know Ive seen it before.....but I just can't quite remember the design.

IceWind said:
Its the Monarch Hornet SFF.

I know full well what it is.......it says in his sig too.....but I mostly just wanted to see some other shots of his particular setup.....aren't I aloud to be curious? :p

Well I have a question:

What don't you like about the Hornet you have? What is it's advantages over other SFF's and what does it lack of a full sized case/pc?

teck said:
Well I have a question:

What don't you like about the Hornet you have? What is it's advantages over other SFF's and what does it lack of a full sized case/pc?
I guess the only drawback is cooling. As decked out as mine is, it'll never stay as cool as a tower. But, I've had no overheating even during two-hour HL2 and Doom 3 sessions.

The biggest advantage over smaller SFF machines like the Shuttle is the Hornet's ability to handle 6800 cards. When I decided to go SFF, I definitely preferred the 6800 option over the ATI cards.

atlwriter said:
I guess the only drawback is cooling. As decked out as mine is, it'll never stay as cool as a tower. But, I've had no overheating even during two-hour HL2 and Doom 3 sessions.

The biggest advantage over smaller SFF machines like the Shuttle is the Hornet's ability to handle 6800 cards. When I decided to go SFF, I definitely preferred the 6800 option over the ATI cards.

yeah, even with a lot of newer platforms and setups ppl aren't really having too many temp issues.....it just usually does come down to either GFX card compatibility, or hardware/accessory expansion.....as there isn't room often times to add extra USB ports and whatnot.....which can get in teh way for some people, especially with systems liek teh SN95G5 that only have two usb ports in the back of the case, and two in teh front.

cornelious0_0 said:
yeah, even with a lot of newer platforms and setups ppl aren't really having too many temp issues.....it just usually does come down to either GFX card compatibility, or hardware/accessory expansion.....as there isn't room often times to add extra USB ports and whatnot.....which can get in teh way for some people, especially with systems liek teh SN95G5 that only have two usb ports in the back of the case, and two in teh front.
Another plus for the Hornet Pro: there's plenty of room for extra USB ports or an additional network card. The HP has 4 USB ports in the front, 4 more on the back, and I added a PCI card that has 5 USB ports!!! :D

atlwriter said:
Another plus for the Hornet Pro: there's plenty of room for extra USB ports or an additional network card. The HP has 4 USB ports in the front, 4 more on the back, and I added a PCI card that has 5 USB ports!!! :D

Nice, that definitely DOES set it apart from most all XPC's on the market. :)

Well, I plan on getting my next computer from Monarch Computers (most likely - the whole build it yourself deal may be a little too soon for my own first computer). I'm either going Hornet Pro or regular tower. What do you advise I do? I see your HP is running at 80-90...I'm not too smart when it comes to PC temperatures (or SFF temps.), but isn't that a but high or is that normal for SFF?

I plan on using the system for maybe occasional DVD viewing, digital photo editing (Adobe Photoshop), a crap load of gaming, and the usual online AIM time. It will be on most of the day. The only thing really drawing me back from going SFF is the heat issues and I know that could be solved with water cooling but I doubt I'm going that route. Also, the ability to upgrade as often is kinda drawing me back but I'm sure that won't be a problem at all if I'm ordering with all top of the line products of the current time (6800GT - 1 GB of RAM - 3500+ [maybe even something better]).

So any input would be greatly appreciated from you, other HP owners, and gamers alike!

I have a blue P4 shuttle box, everyone has one so I wont post a pic of that.

Here is my other SFF, its a 486 DX2 with 12 MB running MS-Dos and Win 3.11. Sometimes I play games on it.

486.gif

cv643d said:
I have a blue P4 shuttle box, everyone has one so I wont post a pic of that.

Here is my other SFF, its a 486 DX2 with 12 MB running MS-Dos and Win 3.11. Sometimes I play games on it.

486.gif

rofl...those were the days

markt435 said:
rofl...those were the days

What do you mean WERE......sometimes I'll get bored and me and a friend will pool our spare parts togethor to throw a DOS box togethor to play some golden oldies. ;)

Ok, its mostly stock but different enough to count.
frontxpc.jpg

insidexpc.jpg

backxpc.jpg

The face plate is backed with a dotted grill looking print, which, I think is only stock to that model. It gives it some more dimension and detail compared to others of the same chassis.

Obligatory stock fan grill removal. Wow did that look restrictive!
I wanted to put a 120 fan on the back, but it would then require removal to tote it all around in the shuttle carying case. The 92mm fan on the inside was a compromise, though it turned out to be a rather unique method...atleast from what Ive seen on the forum.

Pherret, without me looking up pics of your XPC.....was the back grill "punched out" in a square pattern or did you choose to cut out the square hole? I'm just asking 'cus it would have obviously looked much nicer with a circular hole, but I've seen some models do it either way, and you sure as hell aren't gonna cut out the circle and then have little holes punched out around it. :p

How did you fit the 92mm in there? With an adaptor? Cuz I have a 92mm tornado i have laying around and wouldn't mind puttin it inside

EDIT: lol I see it now..haha skipped over the middle pic...but that looks like a huge enclosure over the ICE...was that stock...cuz mine isn't that big.

cornelious0_0 said:
What do you mean WERE......sometimes I'll get bored and me and a friend will pool our spare parts togethor to throw a DOS box togethor to play some golden oldies. ;)

It makes me sad that I took my Old 486 Packard Bell to the firing range. Put 300 rnds of 5.56 thru it. I miss playing Descent and Sim City 2K.

cornelious0_0 said:

Talk about desperate :rolleyes:

cornelious0_0 said:
Pherret, without me looking up pics of your XPC.....was the back grill "punched out" in a square pattern or did you choose to cut out the square hole? I'm just asking 'cus it would have obviously looked much nicer with a circular hole, but I've seen some models do it either way, and you sure as hell aren't gonna cut out the circle and then have little holes punched out around it. :p

Well it did start punched out in a "square pattern" I guess. My philosophy on it is that it isn't just a fan hole, its a rad hole. The rad is square, so opening the hole up as much as possible is good to get air flowing over the most fin surface area. And in the end, I realy don't care how it looks. It works alot better than stock, and thats realy what I was aiming for.

markt435 said:
How did you fit the 92mm in there? With an adaptor? Cuz I have a 92mm tornado i have laying around and wouldn't mind puttin it inside

EDIT: lol I see it now..haha skipped over the middle pic...but that looks like a huge enclosure over the ICE...was that stock...cuz mine isn't that big.

Yeah, the adapter I used is one of the machined alu ones. Its pricy, but there are very few 92-80mm adapters on the market. You can only see half of the adapter, the other half is inside the shroud. They work a little different than most adapters. A tornado/screamer would most likely not fit as it is, Im sure you have noticed, thicker than standard 92s. I was searching my bum off trying to find a slim 92, but no dice, so I just shoehorned the standard thickness panaflo in there. Also that optical drive is very short. There are shorter, but as far as I know the grand majority are longer. I had to trim off some from the sata connector and the cable is at an extremely small bend radius to get around the fan. The wire tie on the connector is to make sure it doesn't fall apart.

The shroud is stock. I don't know of a size difference, but I know they beefed up the ice design itself to handle A64s. The shroud held a 15mm thick fan.

I just can't get over the fact that I didn't haveto deal with any ribbon cables in this pc. All sata :D

Pherret said:
Well it did start punched out in a "square pattern" I guess. My philosophy on it is that it isn't just a fan hole, its a rad hole. The rad is square, so opening the hole up as much as possible is good to get air flowing over the most fin surface area. And in the end, I realy don't care how it looks. It works alot better than stock, and thats realy what I was aiming for.

K, that makes a lot more sense.

where do i buy a SFF 939 board seperate from the case alot of people like shuttle offer...
could someone PM .. ill check back i hope.. lol thanks for any help

Crazystick said:
where do i buy a SFF 939 board seperate from the case alot of people like shuttle offer...
could someone PM .. ill check back i hope.. lol thanks for any help

Well, how are you looking to use or mount the board? TO my knowledge you can NOT buy shuttle XPC motherboards seperately.....and I haven't seen a LOT for s939 boards down around that scale.

I'll let you know if I see anything though.

ANGLE:
newpurple.jpg

NO FLASH:
after.jpg

FLASH:
newblue.jpg

ANGLE makes color change:
newred.jpg

I added an intake on the side for my 6800nu (softmodded & OC'd of course)
sideshot.jpg

I put a 1.75 diameter piece of tube between the side & the card to direct cold fresh air directly in to the fan.

MORE INFORMATION HERE <- benches & config

Here's a picture of the desk all set up. With a 193FP, before I changed it to a 1905FP when they went on sale like 2 weeks later!
flat.jpg

Nice clean job, Pherret.

I just cut mine with wire cutters! :eek:
backshot.jpg

"Dear Shuttle, please change your design to the above picture!" :)

Why dont they just come like this?!?!?
Or at least with bigger holes or something?

One more angle: (yes, this is the same PC, just a different angle)
redangle.jpg

This case needs a couple small mods and I need to do some work on the stuff on top. But I'm no case modder so this may be the best I can do. :) But here it is... Athlon64 2800+ skt754, 1GB Mushkin L2V2 PC3200 and 9800 Pro AIW along with an Evercool WC-202 watercooling kit that's been slightly modded to work with this setup.

antec1.jpg

antec2.jpg

antec3.jpg

antec4.jpg

Interesting setup there Mike....how efficient is it? Gained much on your overclocks with those units?

geez. i just realized that the aria is one of the ugliest SFFs lol. nice setup though. wish i could afford water cooling.

Back