The *Official* Post Pics Of Your Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purpously stayed away from that line for exactly that reason. These are earlier Engineering Samples. Everything came from a friend at Intel.

I need to have him quote me what he can get some Quad Core Xeons for...

I can run 15 boxes on this machine without it blinking.

VM's are the way to go :D I've been running a virtual "network" on my quad-opteron machine for doing security testing and other random stuff ... sure beats having 10 machines laying around sucking up electricity.

on a side note ... I'm jealous you have an RX7... I've wanted one of those for a long time!:cool:

VM's are the way to go :D I've been running a virtual "network" on my quad-opteron machine for doing security testing and other random stuff ... sure beats having 10 machines laying around sucking up electricity.

on a side note ... I'm jealous you have an RX7... I've wanted one of those for a long time!:cool:

My reputation has been lost here sadly since I never "paid" to get back into the Genmay/Auto stuff here. Im still a bit ticked about it all, but hey, it happens.

Here is my current one, this was when I painted it a few months back. No recent pictures, no time to work on it really.

This is my 5th 3rd gen.

Nice rack, the spyder. Can you hear all that from downstairs?

Its in our second house which is just storage at this moment. Im a good 200ft away from it right now ;). Its quiet, 1) Its winter here and its 40 degrees out, 2) I hack everything to be temp controlled.

Its in our second house which is just storage at this moment. Im a good 200ft away from it right now ;). Its quiet, 1) Its winter here and its 40 degrees out, 2) I hack everything to be temp controlled.

Nice ;)

I offically hate avast... lol

I could not for the life of me connect to my Powerconnect 2708 until I disabled avast...

Can we please stay on topic....this is for picture of networks!

Finally getting around to post this. Had a customer with 8 sites that purchased TLS Circuits from my company (100 meg connections between sites) but they had no clue how to make it work so we ended up having to buy some fairly inexpensive used switches. Unboxed all of them and I liked this picture.

image-upload-47-706266.jpe

Nice switches, are they extreme networks ?

The off topic is because all the regular posters in this thread have posted pics allready ;)

Yes, they are Extreme Summit 24e3's. Ended up getting them for something around $75.00 each. They only do 10/100 but have 2 GBIC slots to do gige and will do RIP/OSPF. We also have two Extreme Black Diamond 6808's that are the core of our FTTP network. One has been in-service for a little over 3 years now. I love the CLI in them, much more straightforward (I think) than a cisco switch.

Ah, makes more sense, my bad, I should have actually read the posts. :p

The black diamond 6808 is a killer switch, i would love to have one.

I would agree, they are great switches. Extreme seems to be slowly phasing them out in favor of their XOS based switches. The nice thing about the 6800 line is that you can get them for really cheap on the second hand market anymore as well. If you can live without the newest management cards they get really cheap fast.

Here is our second 6808:

Dual MSM-3's running in hot standby mode(works like a dream)
One F48Ti - 48 10/100 ports - we use this for servers and basic stuff
Two G16X3's - 16 Mini-GBIC Slot's - We have connections to equipment split between the two cards, in the event that a card fails equipment stays up as we have LAG ports going between the two. Copper Gig-E goes to our Media-Gateway, fiber runs to our FTTP equipment aside from the bottom connection on slot 4 - this is our GigE connection to our other CO about 50 miles away, in the next few months we'll be adding a second connection and setup an EAPS connectiona cross the two. EAPS is basically SONET for ethernet, we have it running on another switch and it works great, sub 50 ms failovers in the event of an equipment failure.

100_0774.jpg

Here is our FTTP equipment. It is made by a company called UTStarcom. Each 1 RU device supports up to 512 customers. 4 fiber uplinks (to our core switch) run in LAG to give up to 4 gig's per chassis uplink, there are 8 GePON downlinks, 1.25 gig's down/up per 32 or 64 customers. We plan on only having 32 customers per port at this time. In the next year or two we should be able to swap the optics out and have 10 gig downlinks per 32 customers, mostly in anticipation for HD Video IPTV.

100_0773.jpg

This is our structured wiring panel... All rooms have a dual drop of cat5e and RG6
ustec%20box.jpg

at&t fttp gateway for net,and iptv, New HP switch, viatalk ata
switch.jpg

Aunt office. What a mess.

Long cables FTL.
IMG_0137.jpg

Phone system.
IMG_0136.jpg

And no server :eek:

Not bad pictures from my Iphone.

Looks good LOCO LAPTOP.
You should go in there and fix those cables. Looks hidious! :p ;)
No server!!!??!! Must be one large workgroup then...

Looks good LOCO LAPTOP.
You should go in there and fix those cables. Looks hidious! :p ;)
No server!!!??!! Must be one large workgroup then...

yep it is a large workgroup and I can tell there will be problems if they dont have a server for all the importent files.

As fixing the cables, I would but I was told "If it works, don't fix it." And its a pain in the ass when you got a 24 port switch and have 38 ports to be connected if one computer doesnt work... :rolleyes:

Here is the data cabinet at a customer's site. This was a remodel of an existing building that did have a 7ft rack installed. However, in the renovations, they did not plan for a rack, so I had to mount the patch panels on the wall bracket and they put large closed cabinets along the entire wall. The switches just sit on the shelf. Same problem here as in LOCO LAPTOP's picture, the IT guy used cables that are WAYYY too long. I did all of the voice/data cabling and terminations. I also did a CCTV system.
IMG_1192.jpg

Phone MDF after the guy installed the phone system:
IMG_1188.jpg

I'v always wondered how to setup a punch block properly. I have one setup right now with only an incoming line, and 2 outgoing. It works but I don't know if it's proper. What are some good resources to figure this out?

Well as far as the setup you see, each cable (station) corresponds with an extension on the phone system. It's a one-to-one cross connect. However, for a residential application with multiple phones on one line, you need to loop several pairs through for your incoming line, then cross connect them to the stations.

Here is my gravity defying network

hpim2179ej3.jpg

Modem on the left (bottom) DSL filter and phone bridge in between switch and modem plus TV splitter box in the foreground.

The machine on the right is a m0n0wall PIII box (good small form factor)

The one think I like about this setup is that I can re-configure how many ports can be used for phone or data access by switching the cable from the switch to the phone bridge or vice versa.

Everything is terminated with RJ-45 connectors which most RJ-11 phone connectors fit into. Works great for LAN parties when I need more data ports. Just need to make sure you don't have a NIC in the other end when plugging into the phone bridge I haven't tried it but I think you could damage something especially if someone called while doing it.

The cables could use some streamlining with some more creative routing and twist ties...

After seeing all these photos of fully-connected switches I feel a bit silly for having a 24-port with only 3 cables in it :(

I'm back, after not posting for a while. Had some router problems recently.

Great setups guys, but the long cables :eek:.

Here is the data cabinet at a customer's site. This was a remodel of an existing building that did have a 7ft rack installed. However, in the renovations, they did not plan for a rack, so I had to mount the patch panels on the wall bracket and they put large closed cabinets along the entire wall. The switches just sit on the shelf. Same problem here as in LOCO LAPTOP's picture, the IT guy used cables that are WAYYY too long. I did all of the voice/data cabling and terminations. I also did a CCTV system.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/jeffmoss26/NBC%20cabling/NBC%20after/IMG_1192.jpg
Phone MDF after the guy installed the phone system:
[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/jeffmoss26/NBC%20cabling/NBC%20after/IMG_1188.jpg[/QUOTE]Get some cable ties and FAST!!!:eek:

man this thread has gone downhill, stop posting these small home desktops lets see some real networking.

wall jacks all the way, noob:p

man this thread has gone downhill, stop posting these small home desktops lets see some real networking.

wall jacks all the way, noob:p

I dont have one of those POS punchdown tools! might have to be plugs. unless i can use a screwdriver :p

i think if you buy the leviton gear from homedepot some come with a cheap plastic punch down.

if you want it clean you need wall jacks, if not just drill a hole in the wall throw a wire in and add an end.

some wall jacks have non punch connectors

btw why is your site pressure-drop and have a weed leaf on it? wtf is pressure-drop?

btw why is your site pressure-drop and have a weed leaf on it? wtf is pressure-drop?
i don't even wanna know.... ;)
i think if you buy the leviton gear from homedepot some come with a cheap plastic punch down.

if you want it clean you need wall jacks, if not just drill a hole in the wall throw a wire in and add an end.

some wall jacks have non punch connectors
he lives in the UK, so no home depot for him :cool::p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back