The *Official* Post Pics Of Your Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
the crystal was a p3 500 with 512 pc100 and 80gb that my friend who works for them was using as his webserver. Its now a p3 600 thats just running smoothwall with two nics.

I had at one time all the pc cases with pcs for folding. I sold off all of them but kept the cases.
I dont have any real server rackmount cases so i just have cases in there on shelves for the time being. I want to make a new server with the blue case since it has more air flow then the sonata.

thats also an outlook 4 port kvm i got off the forums but the mouse wont work in anything Windows.

yeah but those cost money and this has been a free project. My wife loves that she can watch tv shows on the xbox but she doesnt know or want to know how its all done. So saying i want to go to gig speeds means nothing to her or getting a new case.

yeah but those cost money and this has been a free project. My wife loves that she can watch tv shows on the xbox but she doesnt know or want to know how its all done. So saying i want to go to gig speeds means nothing to her or getting a new case.

That sounds familiar. hehe

network.jpg

all scored off ebay for very little money :cool: the 1u unit is an x330. The RPS will be getting some quiet fans soon :D I use the e420 for software development.

Uhhh... very nice setup... i love those SUNs :D
And even portable... the new size in the networking and server area will be 1 pallet instead of 1 U :rolleyes:

uu tee eff guys, I remember when this thread was insane with the amount of pictures people were posting. Ill contribute a quick pic of my uncles NOC(too bad I don't have one this nice at work :( ).

Marc_NOC.jpg

and yes, that's me sitting at the desk.

Im eventually going to have to have a NOC monitoring area like that in my house when I start working from home.

On a side note: Im in the process of putting together a second rack(relay) for all of my networking gear and some new stuff I got, the cabinet that I have will house 10 or so servers and my new KVM. Ill keep you guys updated.

PS... start posting more damn pics :p

i see some websites that look familiar running on a few of those monitors, what company does your uncle work for?

i see some websites that look familiar running on a few of those monitors, what company does your uncle work for?
Those look familiar because one is an NMS and the other a IDS(BigBrother and Snort). Many companies use both.

My uncle has his own security consulting business, so those are a few customer sites.

Let me update my main stuff:
My server rack:
dsc02781jt6.jpg

When you open it up you see:
dsc02777in7.jpg

Now lets break it down:
dsc02778rw1.jpg

From Top To Bottom:
Netgear Wireless Access Point
Belkin Wireless Access Point
4 La Fonera Wireless Access Points
(Only one wireless point will be left here when house extension is finished)
3com 24 Port Switch
APC Power Strip
Cisco 7910 IP Phone
Fileserver in a eMachines case
APC UPS
Active Directory, and Exchange Server

Then The Bottom Half:
dsc02779ta6.jpg

From Top To Bottom:
IBM PC Server 325 as a IPCop router
Compaq Asterisk Server
Webserver, Exchange Frontend Server
TrendNET 24 Port Switch
HP 24 Port Switch
APC Power Strip
Box Of Computer Parts

Very nice setup. Its funny to see all those networking labs growing out there... :D

I constantly wish I had setups as good as those... *dreams*

Ahem, anyway - I'll post a pic of my network that I have setup here at home - It's rather complex in what it can do, and is most definately in the ballpark of 'overkill' but, nonetheless - pics :)

These are my MOST OLD setup:
picture056cr1.jpg

These are my FAIRLY OLD setup:
picture025ue2.jpg

These are my FAIRLY NEW setup:
shomenetwork001jq6.jpg

These are my MOST NEW setup:
shomenetwork006dx9.jpg

It's currently at v4 :p.

No need to dream you got a nice setup there. Okay maybe dream about a rack ;) What are the stats on those machines?

problem with racks is the weight. the ones I see on ebay are like 150kg+, now you laugh at me leaving the suns on the pallet, but even those are 30kg each - unless there is a rack which can be totally dismantled into 20kg parts thats where they will stay.

Just search eBay for a seller in your area that's looking to offload some heavy rack cabinets. Most of the time, they're just happy to get that stuff out of their workspace (depending on where you live that is).

Just search eBay for a seller in your area that's looking to offload some heavy rack cabinets. Most of the time, they're just happy to get that stuff out of their workspace (depending on where you live that is).

Yep snagged an IBM one for 30 on local pickup.

I was lucky and got one for free, my dad's work relocated all their backup servers for their Fort Worth office to a datacenter. So they had two extra racks, and my dad got one for free.

IMG_0595_Edit.jpg

I recently revamped my network hub "rack." This picture doesn't include my cable modem, IPCop box and secondary switch, which are all at the other end of the basement.

It's still a work in progress as you can no doubt see. I'm building a new 3TB file server (the CM stacker in picture) while the old file server is looking pretty decrepit. The two 1U servers there are DELL PE1750's which are used to host VM's, mostly for lab work. There is also a 160GB NAS, which is used to house common files like drivers, game patches and other things that don't need to be secured, a WAP, 8-port KVM, 15" LCD (yes, those are clamps holding it up), web-managed switch (GS724T) with two GBIC's for future expansion and a soon-to-be-configured dedicated WSUS box (the GX150).

I recently revamped my network hub "rack." ...

SWEET SETUP!! That's one of the few things I miss about living in the mid-west: basements! How did you score those 1750's? I love your flat screen stand! I'm using a CM Stacker for my fileserver as well. Nothing better IMO.

How did you score those 1750's?
Thanks. :) I was extremely lucky and got them both for an excellent price on Ebay. :D They're dual 1.8GHz, 2GB each. One had the PERC raid card installed but I removed it so they'd both be the same hardware wise.

Nn'theraq'pss said:
No need to dream you got a nice setup there. Okay maybe dream about a rack What are the stats on those machines?

They're all ex-Government\ex-School machines, so, spec-wise, they're lacking, but - they work :)

They range from an old Compaq Presario 425 (66Mhz Cirix 486 :D) to a Dual P3 2x 1.3Ghz with about 500GB of disk space. For me, it's not the hardware, but more, what can be DONE with the hardware - I'm only 16 and I've set up all this (hardware wise) and got a 'hella lot going software wise as well :) - everything from caching internal DNS servers to OpenVPN servers and RADIUS servers for WiFi clients. I'm impressed with what it all can do :).

Then again... scrap all the above and gimme some Dell\Sun servers and um....well, you get the picture :D

genesis[OFT];1030601636 said:
They're all ex-Government\ex-School machines, so, spec-wise, they're lacking, but - they work :)

They range from an old Compaq Presario 425 (66Mhz Cirix 486 :D) to a Dual P3 2x 1.3Ghz with about 500GB of disk space. For me, it's not the hardware, but more, what can be DONE with the hardware - I'm only 16 and I've set up all this (hardware wise) and got a 'hella lot going software wise as well :) - everything from caching internal DNS servers to OpenVPN servers and RADIUS servers for WiFi clients. I'm impressed with what it all can do :).

Then again... scrap all the above and gimme some Dell\Sun servers and um....well, you get the picture :D

Could you tell me how you get ex-Government/School machines? I would like to set up a little P3 or P4 rack also. I live in SOCAL so I won't be taking your territory, LOL.

The pc on wheels on the rack doesnt look good. Im sure its not going anywhere but too risky for my blood there.

Bootleg loowe said:
Could you tell me how you get ex-Government/School machines? I would like to set up a little P3 or P4 rack also. I live in SOCAL so I won't be taking your territory, LOL.

Well, I still go to School and know the Techs\Admins quite well, so they've hooked me up with a bit 'o the 'ol surplus... :D. And a relative works in Govt., so he's done a similar thing with the admins there. This is all in Australia, mind you - I'm not quite sure how it'd work in the US\UK\wherever - Just keep your eye out :)

genesis[OFT];1030606842 said:
Well, I still go to School and know the Techs\Admins quite well, so they've hooked me up with a bit 'o the 'ol surplus... :D. And a relative works in Govt., so he's done a similar thing with the admins there. This is all in Australia, mind you - I'm not quite sure how it'd work in the US\UK\wherever - Just keep your eye out :)

If you don't mind me asking, what school do you go to?

Did some tidying up with my closet-rack... mounted my Cisco 871 and got a 1u cable organizer...w00t!

top box = mrtg / web / db server
bottom = ldap / file / email

I also have other servers, not racked or running tho since I also try to keep the noise to a minimum...

net1.jpg

Here are some pictures of one of the data centers for my company. This is probably the smallest one we have. Below is a pic from the front of the room. There are about 30 server racks in this room i a hot isle/cold isle config.

serverroomracks.jpg

Here is the APC in-row cooling solution we recently installed

InRowCooling.jpg

This cooling solution requires the use of an enclosed hot isle shown below

HotIsle.jpg

Next up are the network racks in the back of the room. These contain the server farm core switches, one of the core switches for the entire campus and other misc. hardware.

datarack1.jpg

In this rack we have the following from top to bottom:
Server farm core Cisco 4506 L3 switch
Cisco CSS11503 load balancer
Cisco 3508 interconnecting the public side of our firewalls
Cisco 3508 interconnecting the private side of our firewalls (Our firewalls at this site are in a high availability cluster between two different buildings)
Cisco 2950 in front of our firewalls
Redundant server farm core Cisco 4506 L3 switch (that I haven't configured yet)

servercore.jpg

And in this rack we have the following:
Small Netgear hub for a test DSL line
Cisco 6509 L3 switch which is one of two core switches for this campus. Both are runing Sup720 supervisor modules and IDSM2 modules.
Cisco 3600 router for one of our internet circuits via Time Warner Cable. Ther eis another internet circuit via MCI in the other building.

core.jpg

Great Pictures... !!!! :eek:
I have never seen pictures of this cooling layout before... looks nice and clean

A lot of DL380s in there, too :D :D

Thanks! The APC cooling solution works really well. I'll have more pictures from our new HQ building next month. The MDF alone is as big as this server room :-D.

I've seen the APC cooling solution live on last years CEBIT in Hannover, Germany and was very impressed - though wondering if they would be able to sell that, because it seemd a bit too expensive in my eyes.

It's very nice to see it up and running in your pics.

Yeah, it was fairly pricey (a little over 100k if I remember) but that included all the piping, manifold, chillers and RC units (5 of em). The price was worth it though as the old cooling system just wasn't designed correctly and it would have cost more to re-engineer it than to rip it out and install the APC solution.

My network is pretty basic for the time being.

From left to right: Westell 2200 DSL Modem, Linksys WRT54G (Running DD-WRT), Netgear Gigabit Switch, Fileserver/Backup Desktop (Desktop 2 in my sig).

S8000437.jpg

Did some tidying up with my closet-rack... mounted my Cisco 871 and got a 1u cable organizer...w00t!

I also have other servers, not racked or running tho since I also try to keep the noise to a minimum...

where did you get that rack? Its nice.

net1.jpg

The top box, is that a full-depth 1U server? If so, how do you have it mounted in the 2-post rack?

Here is my network. Its gonna change with some upgrades. The belkin router will be replaced by the linksys one.

Verizon DSL 3mbps/768kbps
Belkin router connects to a Westell Modem.
3 Computers connect wirelessly to the router
MY E1405
Shuttle SN25P
SR1810nx Sempron
SR1810nx x2 4400

Linksys connects to desktop to get signal. All the above routers connect to the linksys one. I use the travel router when Im out of home. Netgear was given due to customer having problems with there dsl connection. FON one got for free

This Switch connects to the belkin router via uplink port.
Port 1- XBox 360
Port 2- XBOX
Port 4- PS2

Definitely some awesome looking setups. I hope to have pics of mine pretty soon. I finally got my Hoffman Proline cabinet (picked it up for free from work) from the storage unit to my new house, only to find out that it's a 23", rather than a 19". I really hadn't looked to closely at it before, but when I started to put components in, it was pretty obvious that is wasn't standard. Guess I'll sell that cabinet and go with the monster Chatsworth cabinet I have. Since it's 7ft tall, I didn't wanna wrestle it to my basement, but I really wanna rackmount all my gear for a cleaner look rather than shelfing everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back