The *Official* Post Pics Of Your Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by stearnum
its been 6 days. i see nothing, i could have predicted as much.

rofl :D

Originally posted by draconius
lol
yeah i posted a pic here not too long ago of your setup too cyron. its sexy.:D :p
thanks for the compliments guys.
My next venture is a gaming center :)
(Thats still a ways down the road though)

Originally posted by cyr0n_k0r
thanks for the compliments guys.
My next venture is a gaming center :)
(Thats still a ways down the road though)

I've actually been thinking of getting something like those portable rigs, I've become an admin at a local lan, and bring the servers the place we have the network stays in place, but the servers are mine, how deep are those road boxes? i have those 4u antec cases. *well have one, and a sgi case, thou i'm thinkin of dumpin the sgi case and getting another 4u antec*

most of those audio racks are no deeper than 24"... audio stuff isnt very deep usually...

Originally posted by FLECOM
most of those audio racks are no deeper than 24"... audio stuff isnt very deep usually...

guess i'll have to get some square tubing and weld up something then, thou it means i'll have to start drivin my truck to the lan as i doubt these things will fit in my car and i'll be damned if i'm trailering.

Originally posted by Veeb0rg
guess i'll have to get some square tubing and weld up something then

that's a fun project.

me and Oakfan have pics of the 2 we made on page 55 of this thread in case you missed them. a 21u heavy-duty rack can be made pretty cheaply if you have the welder and the time.

I figure parts for the two we made were under $100, and that's consideirng that the rails we like $13 each! I didnt have a welder so I slipped a friend a few dollars to weld em for me.

Still, $130 / 2 = $65 per rack, out the door.

the ones I used were top of the line. They were about 24" deep and where shock mounted on all 8 corners.

They had rings on each corner so they could handle abuse of being used as lan servers. It was essentially a rack within a box.

The nice thing too was that both sides had doors that I could take off for whatever reason. It was as simple as getting them there, unlocking the doors.. plugging them in.. and turning them on. After that it was a "set it and forget it" type of thing.

Made things so much more easier for me as I had time to worry about other aspects of the lan.

Originally posted by cyr0n_k0r
the ones I used were top of the line. They were about 24" deep and where shock mounted on all 8 corners.

They had rings on each corner so they could handle abuse of being used as lan servers. It was essentially a rack within a box.

The nice thing too was that both sides had doors that I could take off for whatever reason. It was as simple as getting them there, unlocking the doors.. plugging them in.. and turning them on. After that it was a "set it and forget it" type of thing.

Made things so much more easier for me as I had time to worry about other aspects of the lan.

got links to where u got them? I wouldn't mind gettin ahold of one cuz the cases i use seem to be 22.75 inches deep. These are the cases i have/am looking at.

In the works :
Setting up a 10 Gig link between 3 campuses in our area, talks of an upgraded 6509 for us :D Definately post pics when talk=reality :)

*****UPDATE*******

Here is an update of how my rack project is comming along. I am still waiting on my AVR and cable organizer. Then i can actually run all new cable and use the patch panel (empty atm =P).

rack2.jpg

Originally posted by oakfan52
*****UPDATE*******

Here is an update of how my rack project is comming along. I am still waiting on my AVR and cable organizer. Then i can actually run all new cable and use the patch panel (empty atm =P).

rack2.jpg
nice rack, what kind is it? looks like the perfect size i'm looking for.

Home made. 21U. go back 2-3 pages. nybbles and i did them. There is a guide on no the net with what ya need and how to do it. Nybbles linked it.

your rack next to your desk? kinda looks like it... If so Im guessing you wear headphones?? :D

Plinkusa for the cases?

yep plinkusa for the cases. $83 shipped each (including sales tax). It is next to my desk, but my gamming sysyetm is the antex casers you see in the lower left hand conner =).

Originally posted by oakfan52
yep plinkusa for the cases. $83 shipped each (including sales tax). It is next to my desk, but my gamming sysyetm is the antex casers you see in the lower left hand conner =).

Bastard... I was gonna order a few from them.. Suddently weren't so cheap with the shipping costs though... $83 shipped is a steal...

And you must have a high tollerence for noise... Superstacks are loud (ones I've heard)...

YES! Those superstacks do put out a bit of noise..... I have one just like Oakfan does.

Heck, with that superstack there, I doubt he can hear the noice of the 3 servers and the Cisco. They are prob all drowned out by the 3com.

Well heres my little network (be gentle)..

Dscf0013.jpg

Well this is my lump in the corner, big ass rackmount case, but yet to actually have n e thing rackmounted in it!

Dscf0014.jpg

This is inside it, on the top shelf, left to right..

UPS (router and main webserver), EN5861 router, 100mbit switch and a print server underneath that.

down the bottom the machine on the left is the main webserver, this is a dual P3 933 on a asus serverworks motherboard, SCSI U160 HD etc, 1.5gb ram, proper server job machine. next to it is my mailserver, 1.2ghz, 512mb ram.

in the other room is an 8 port switch which connects to the NAT router/firewall and then behind that is all the home pcs, wireless ap etc.

Now if anyone would like to donate some rackmount cases for it :)

B

very nice!

on a side note, know where I Can get a couple of cheap 933 slot A processors? (I have two dualie 933 boards just begging to be turned into servers)

but yes
as I was saying, thats a nice rack you have....whered ya get it?:D

they are made by a company local to me called cannon technologies (http://www.cannontech.co.uk , no not a plug for them!)

basically another company brought them then didnt use them and had them up to give away, i managed to grab that one for free, there was another one which was shorter but was much deeper.

draconius - hit ebay, thats where I nabbed mine from.

:) B

aww look.. its a baby version of mine.. isn't that cute..

thou I bet yours fits thou doorways standing up.

Been looking for a decent cabinet like that. Edmonton, Canada (they call this dump a capital city) has absolutely nothing. I've been scouring for months. All the ebay ones are local pickup and 9/10 reside in the USA.

Originally posted by chillinhh
Wow how do you take advantage of that on a home network?

Perhaps individual File, Mail, and Web Servers with a switch to go to the basement for lans or something?

Doesn't seem to extravagant to me... :)

Originally posted by Foolio882
Perhaps individual File, Mail, and Web Servers with a switch to go to the basement for lans or something?

Doesn't seem to extravagant to me... :)

Separte mail, web, file servers ?? Maybe if their P1 200's or something... :D

Originally posted by SKiTLz
Separte mail, web, file servers ?? Maybe if their P1 200's or something... :D

HAHA.... I was thinking the exact same thing.

But anyway, I know Oakfan.... I'm the one that convinced him to throw up a Linux box. :D

Anyway, I hope he doesnt kill me for saying this but one of those servers is a Windows server for his domain, another is a Linux box running apache and such, and unless something's changed, the 3rd case is just there for looks. ;) Well actually, I believe it was gonna be the home of a Daul AMD setup to serve up some good stuff if his new DSL line ever gets installed.

Please dont kill me Oak. ::runs and hides::

you guys arent the only ones that made that rack, id post pics of mine........but my server is down for maintnence, till funds come in.....

Originally posted by Morpheus256
you guys arent the only ones that made that rack, id post pics of mine........but my server is down for maintnence, till funds come in.....

down for maintnence?

Sounds like you broke it :p

After some time, I had time to take some pics of our home network.

Our network uses a 3com switch and a hardware router for our ADSL connection (3.3 mbit, i can get a max of 390 kilobytes / sec)

On the pic you can see the 3Com and a just-built thin client.
3com.jpg

The thin-clients are one of my obsessions :D . Because my mother/father and sister don't need a high end pc and because electricity isn't so cheap around here i was allowed to sell their machines, and with the money buy something better.

My choice was made after i've read some more about thin-clients. The thin-clients are on the inside like this:
thin_client5.jpg

They're powed by a VIA EPIA M9000 (933 Mhz) with each a stick of 256 mb ram and a 40 GB disk.

It has all the necessary connections at the front:
thin_client1.jpg

Audio connections and 2 USB ports for removable media (who uses floppy anyway ? Oh wait i do ;) )

To give you an idea how it looks like in real live (sister's room):
thin_client_live.jpg

They run Gentoo Linux + LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project)
LTSP

The server their program's run on is this "beast":
workstation.jpg

It's runs quite well, and it now uses the same power (in watts) as a single average AMD processor does. (pc + screen !)

The full network is on 100 mbit, _more_ than enough for the thin-clients. I know put all the hard disks in the server and booth diskless but this allows a little more breathroom for me. It maybe isn't the best way.. but now i don't have to look after their files, it's their own responsability.

Also, one of those thin-client is standing next to me behind my screen. I use that one as my chat/schoolwork- pc. Then another one is serving as a central mail server + Gentoo Package Manager + print server (HP Deskjet 3820) but that's only a TC5000 (500 mhz, passively cooled, as it only outputs 4 watts or so.. it runs on a compact flash card.)

We do have a file server at home (dual PIII 500) but it's more used for local lan's. I don't use it as much, a few games of UT once and a while ;).

About power usage..

1 single thin-client uses about 35 - 50 watts. As said before, we got 4 of them. The dual mp2200+ is quite overkill for it's purposes, so it's more of less my workstation too. (Running Gentoo Linux, kernel 2.6.3-mm2.)

I don't really know what to write anymore.. so just gonna hit post now ;)

let me be the first to say holy hell I love your setup
and second
you like thin clients and have linux know how....and I love thin clients and have alot of linux/bsd know how. You ever done any clustering?
I am really wanting to score a bunch of old thin clients from a local business and cluster them together:D
I saw on http://mini-itx.com a guy built a cluster of teeny mobo's ....hmmm /me has ideas

ya but that seems pretty retarded to me... this guy went through all the work of making 24 machines, that total output power is about the same as 4 P4 machines? :confused:

@ draconius: thanks

I really like the thin-clients.. it's nice to see i'm not the only one. Yeah i have been fiddling with the idea to make a epia cluster, i also had contact yesterday with the builder of that cluster in the link you provided. The results of the benckmarks he ran for me were very promising, i have some of the stuff required to make a mini cluster so i might give it a go one day.

@ FLECOM: no, it's 12 machines, not 24 as you said. Yes, 12 machines gives the same power as 4 to 6 P4's, but at a lower power use i believe.

To give you some of the results of some of the benchmarks on that mini itx cluster:
on 1 cpu it runs in 386 seconds
on 2 cpus it runs in 193 seconds
on 4 cpus it runs in 96 seconds
on 6 cpus it runs in 64 seconds
on 8 cpus it runs in 48 seconds
on 10 cpus it runs in 38 seconds
on 12 cpus it runs in 32 seconds

In contrast, a similar non-parallel program running on my single cpu 2.4 GHZ p4 machine takes 265 seconds to run.

Originally posted by p0rt21
down for maintnence?

Sounds like you broke it :p
nah it was already being a bitch, and then it starting acting like my last gf, wouldnt communicate and was slow with everything :eek:

suffice it to say, i compleatly replaced it......just like the gf :p

Originally posted by Morpheus256
nah it was already being a bitch, and then it starting acting like my last gf, wouldnt communicate and was slow with everything :eek:

suffice it to say, i compleatly replaced it......just like the gf :p

Hehe, very cool. Hey when you get the server back up I'd like to see pics to see how it came out. Also, did you put mounting rails on the rear as well or just the front??

Me and Oakfan put them on the front only. First off, those rails run about $25/pair so they were the most expensive piece to the rack. And second, we were trying to think if there was going to be any need for them. Well, we couldnt think of any use for them.

It will be very easy to add in the future if it becomes necessary. Just 8 holes with the drill, 8 bolts, 8 washers, and 8 nuts... and possibly a little touch up paint.

Also, did you do the welding yourself? I bribed a friend with a couple sticks of DDR RAM to do it for me cuz he knows how and he had the equipment already.

server is actually back up and running just restored ~70gb over 100tx,

the picture: (black server is no longer there)
server.jpg

never bothred with the back rails either. and yeah, the material i used to build it was .100 box iron in 8' lengths, only needed 4 of them.
as for the welding, i bribed my friend by working on his comp LOL
never painted mine either, i left the metal as it was, with that dull look.

Originally posted by twan
@ draconius: thanks

I really like the thin-clients.. it's nice to see i'm not the only one. Yeah i have been fiddling with the idea to make a epia cluster, i also had contact yesterday with the builder of that cluster in the link you provided. The results of the benckmarks he ran for me were very promising, i have some of the stuff required to make a mini cluster so i might give it a go one day.

@ FLECOM: no, it's 12 machines, not 24 as you said. Yes, 12 machines gives the same power as 4 to 6 P4's, but at a lower power use i believe.

To give you some of the results of some of the benchmarks on that mini itx cluster:

So in other words, it's more power-efficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back