The *Official* Post Pics Of Your Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I dont follow this thread too close, but it seems that lately there havent been many pics. So I will contribute.

Me and Oakfan built a couple of 21 unit racks, Mainly cuz the full size one's are too big and we have no place to mount them. These are 21 units, based off the OCMojo guides that have been floating around. They should be around 40" tall. Still waiting on some rackmount cases, AND for the paint to dry, before we load 'em up.

Oh yeah, and if u paint in the garage, make sure u have adequate ventilation. ;)

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

More details on my site (Nybbles.net), just check out today's entry

Originally posted by Nybbles
Well, I dont follow this thread too close, but it seems that lately there havent been many pics. So I will contribute.

Me and Oakfan built a couple of 21 unit racks, Mainly cuz the full size one's are too big and we have no place to mount them. These are 21 units, based off the OCMojo guides that have been floating around. They should be around 40" tall. Still waiting on some rackmount cases, AND for the paint to dry, before we load 'em up.

Oh yeah, and if u paint in the garage, make sure u have adequate ventilation. ;)

More details on my site (Nybbles.net), just check out today's entry

How much welding experience did you need to make those racks. I am thinking of just having the welding class here at school make some up for me, but if you don't need alot I think i could wing it.

NJ Nyblles. Question for ya though.. Why build a 4 post rack when theres no mounting holes on the rear posts? ...

Just curious

Easier for support?

Originally posted by SKiTLz
NJ Nyblles. Question for ya though.. Why build a 4 post rack when theres no mounting holes on the rear posts? ...

Just curious

Originally posted by nurv
Easier for support?
Well you cant use rails without rear mounting holes....

It would make the build process easier however though.. so I can see it being of benefit their (for support like nurve said)

Mind posting the link to the walkthrough you followed?

Cheers

Yeah, it was a 4 post for stability. That way I dont have to bolt it to the floor like I would with a normal, full size rack.

And I didnt weld it to be honest. A friend of mine welded it (TIG welded if you're curious). The welding seemed pretty simple for someone who's competant at welding.

The long and tedious part was cutting and grinding. The hard part was making sure the rack was square before he finished the welding. A rack that wobbles is no good. :)

Also, it would be trivial to add rear rack rails on the chance that I get anything that needs 'em. just 8 holes with the drill, 8 bolts, 8 nuts, and 16 washers. ;)

Nurv, keep in mind that there are more welds than u think. Count em. My friend said it would be cake when I showed him the plans, then got bored cuz there were more welds than he realized.

Anyway, going to get lunch. I'll be back for more questions after. :D

thanks for the info... since I suck at welding, think I'll give the plans to my mate and pay him to make it. Still work out alot cheaper than buying one.

Add some side panels etc.. :D

If you could post the site with the plans when you get back from lunch thatd be great!

Cheers

Originally posted by RavinDJ

3 days till i show you MY network

mwahahahahaaa!!!
struth buddy... It had better be bloody good with these posts... If its not do you mind if I point and laugh? :p

SKiTLz, next priority is to get more stuff to actually put IN the rack. :p

I was thinking maybe a plexi top to hold my DSL modem and any other small things I come up with.

I'm gonna throw my Cisco 2514 in there, and my 3com 3300. I'm looking to get a couple 4u rackmount cases to put my servers in. I have a rackmount surge protector, but looking for a UPS to put in there. Then maybe a cable management and I think I'll be set.

Then I stand back and watch while I power it up and hope it doesnt trip my breakers.

Anyway, the site is OCMojo.com. They have some other things on there too, or a direct link for ya. ;)

Sounds like a plan.... I could use a couple more 2u,4u chassis myself... Just hate paying twice the price cause they tipped it on its side... heh :D

Anyways good luck.. thx for the link
Originally posted by Nybbles
SKiTLz, next priority is to get more stuff to actually put IN the rack. :p

I was thinking maybe a plexi top to hold my DSL modem and any other small things I come up with.

I'm gonna throw my Cisco 2514 in there, and my 3com 3300. I'm looking to get a couple 4u rackmount cases to put my servers in. I have a rackmount surge protector, but looking for a UPS to put in there. Then maybe a cable management and I think I'll be set.

Then I stand back and watch while I power it up and hope it doesnt trip my breakers.

Anyway, the site is OCMojo.com. They have some other things on there too, or a direct link for ya. ;)

Nice choice in color; my rack is that color (the beams themselves, anyway). HP and Dell makes such sexy racks :)

Here is a test fit. I pulled eveything back off to paint it with better pant. that .97 paint was a bad cost cutting idea =P. As nybbles said we are still waiting to get our rackmount cases.

rack1.jpg

Id say that patch panel would serve you better if you hooked some cables up too it... at least thats what Id do! :D

Looking good

look into a company called panduit, they are your friend ;)

(wire management)

For being a TEST FIT everything looks awesome! Can't wait to see it with everything in.

I wish I could afford the $100/Case for some 4U Rackmounts... Damn those "Companies" buying these cases for their "Servers" with their "Millions" of "Dollars" to "Waste"

bastards, all of them

Originally posted by Foolio882
For being a TEST FIT everything looks awesome! Can't wait to see it with everything in.

I wish I could afford the $100/Case for some 4U Rackmounts... Damn those "Companies" buying these cases for their "Servers" with their "Millions" of "Dollars" to "Waste"

bastards, all of them
$100 a case? Man I cant get em for less than like $250....

Newegg sells Maxtop 4U Rack Cases for like $85 last I checked.

Much love for Maxtops high quality and low price. I swear by them

I scored two Chenbro 4U cases off eBay for $50 each. They were literally brand new!

Anyway, good luck finding Antec cases for less than $150. Antec's rack cases are of very high quality. the ones enforcer17 linked to aren't made by Antec. :)

Yea those links are great guys... If you live in the USA.. :p

You ever seen the shipping/duties costs on a 40lbs rackmount chassis across the border?

its not pretty...

Originally posted by Blitzrommel
I scored two Chenbro 4U cases off eBay for $50 each. They were literally brand new!

Anyway, good luck finding Antec cases for less than $150. Antec's rack cases are of very high quality. the ones enforcer17 linked to aren't made by Antec. :)

I just bought the no name, fanless, no PSU version of the Antec 4U for $125 shipped from servercase.com

edit: just like th eone enforcer linked to.

is that with shipping?

John

A neat work area increases productivity. Yeah right. :D

I like having a neat room because of the little space I have.

A neat work area increases productivity. Yeah right. :D

I like having a neat room because of the little space I have.

my desk at work is an absolute pig sty, I have week old packets of crisps everywhere, opened sandwich containers and paper scattered everywhere..... although I am getting a bit more oranised :).... I just feel more comfortable when I have "surroundings" than I do when my desk has just a monitor and keyboard/mouse on it :)

My work desk is 6ft wall1, 3ft corner & 12ft other wall (corner desk)

Imagine the crap I can keep on it.. :D Richards sounds pretty much like mine

EDIT: Ohh yea.. 3ft deep and 4 1/2ft deep in the corner.. :D

Man, you guys are messy!! I try and keep mine as clean as possible... it has a better impression and keeps my mind in place :)

I keep my room/desk very clean, mostly because my mom will yell at me if it is a mess. However, my shop is not always clean. A lot of the time, I just leave parts/tools/cables around because its easier to find them. I do have several shelves where everything is neatly organized, bins and boxes for cable, jacks, wallplates, patch cables, tools, etc. I am also a cable tie freak, all my cables are in neat bundles, attached to the walls.

Originally posted by jeffmoss26
I keep my room/desk very clean, mostly because my mom will yell at me if it is a mess. However, my shop is not always clean. A lot of the time, I just leave parts/tools/cables around because its easier to find them. I do have several shelves where everything is neatly organized, bins and boxes for cable, jacks, wallplates, patch cables, tools, etc. I am also a cable tie freak, all my cables are in neat bundles, attached to the walls.
yea cabling is one area Im not messy.. Cant stand those piles of cables you see under peoples desks...

I go a bit over the top though and when it comes time to change something around it can be a pain in the ass...

hello all, i know very little about networking. can anyone draw me a picture how to network my computer.

computers:
5 desktops
1 notebook(wirless)
1 Brother HL-1440 (want to share with all the computers)

what are some of device i need?

18 posts on this page and no pics!

Some of these are similar to the ones I posted on page 8 or so, but I just added some stuff. Here goes:

upstairs.jpg

This is in my game room. I don't come up here very often, but it has some servers and the cable modem.

servers.jpg

1st from left: Router with 3 interfaces running m0n0wall, a FreeBSD firewall distribution with a slick web GUI. It does IPSec and PPTP VPN, packet shaping, and a real DMZ. Pentium 166@133MHz (underclocked so I can cool it passively), 48MB EDO RAM, 220MB (yes, it's that small) WD Caviar, 3 Linksys 10/100 NICs.
2nd from left: Web server running FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE and Apache 2.0.x. It's in the DMZ and serving you these images. Dell OptiPlex, Pentium 133MHz, 64MB RAM, 20GB Hitachi 60GXP, integrated everything.
3rd from left: Backup server running Debian Woody and rsback. It makes nightly rotating snapshot backups. The machine turns itself on in the middle of the night, backs up my file server (in another room, not pictured), and shuts itself off. Dell OptiPlex, Pentium 133MHz, 64MB RAM, 60GB and 80GB Seagate Barracuda IVs, integrated everything.
4th from left: Old IBM Aptiva running Windows XP Pro. I use it if I need to browse the web and stuff when I'm in the game room. K6-2 300MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 15GB 7200RPM WD Caviar, integrated everything. The switch on top of this box is in my DMZ; only the web server and wireless access point are plugged into it.

walljacks.jpg

I just replaced two old wall plates with these. 6 RJ-45 jacks straight to my main switch in a closet, 2 coax jacks (one is a home run of RG6 for the cable modem), and a phone jack.

wiremess.jpg

All this computer stuff sure makes for a lot of wires. I'm too lazy to use wire ties, plus I change it too much.

heatercloset.jpg

This is my heater closet where all my Cat5 cables terminate. The Belkin wireless access point at the top is in the DMZ, and I use a VPN to get on the rest of the network. On the bottom is my new 16-port Netgear FS116 switch. Hopefully I'll get a patch panel soon, then I can make the wiring neater. The big box in the middle is an alarm system that hasn't worked for over a decade. On the right is a new heater, but it's unfortunately not on the network. ;)

mainswitch.jpg

I like this switch. Everything on the network is plugged into this switch unless it's in the DMZ.

Originally posted by cyr0n_k0r
WOAH!! I didnt know anyone saved pictures of my old lan setup. Thats weird.

why is it weird? it might be in here: hardnetworking

and personally i have all the post your * threads since the summer of 2002 saved on a hardrive somewhere on my computer. all i need now is the old babe thread from genmay when it was still apart of the [H] to complete the collection :(

by the way, you have a nice rack sir :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back