The *Official* Post Pics Of Your Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get some newer picutres but here are a few more from our new FTTP CO that we built.

This is our Core Extreme Switch
100_0611.jpg

Fiber patch panels - This one panel terminates 96 fibers. We have 2 6 foot racks full of these now...it's a lot of fiber.

100_0615.jpg

This is the Main Ground Bus, without it nothing would work right. The guys who did our DC power work did a great job putting these in and getting the cables managed properly.

100_0625.jpg

That's what is sitting on top, but I don't want all the wires in there so I ordered a new PSU with modular cables but it was DOA so I just have to get around to getting it replaced :cool:

I just unscrewed the cover and chopped all the wires I didn't need :D

I just unscrewed the cover and chopped all the wires I didn't need :D

Thought about it, but it's too late now as I can't return the one getting replaced. I like how it has the mesh stuff around the wires though, much cleaner.

your Main Ground is a good bit of work, underrated area if you ask me, just think if it wasn't there!

How much did all this work cost and how much was "in house"?

Since this thread is usually going nowhere....

My desk and where I do all of my stuff at:

The "heart" of the network, the speedstream 5360 ADSL modem and WRT54G v.2 running tomato.

The old iBook G4:

The most wonderful and beautiful machines in the world:
Sun SPARCstation IPX
Cisco 2514
Alphaserver DS10L
Poweredge 2450
NOT VISIBLE:
Apple Powerbook 150 (c. 1993)
D-Link DI-604

The muscle of the network:
Celeron 300A webserver running debian
Baystack 450-24T
EMC Centera SN3 my 24/7 ALL IN ONE server. Storage, Torrents, everything and anything. 1.2TB

I have a new $1600 APC ups to setup a DL380 and 2 x DL320s to buy in. I will post it up when its done.

Also maybe putting fiber into the central network just to make it look good... lol (and so I can do a few runs run over 100m)

At first I had a heck of a time replacing the DS12887 Real Time Clock chip, nothing critical, but it annoyed me until I got it working all perfect. Once it was running I had OpenVMS for a while, but I haven't bothered with the hobbyist license yet, so its running Debian Alpha and I'm planning on replacing it as my webserver and using it for testing and playing with the Alpha arch. I like using differnt archs, so far I've aquired X86, PPC, ARM, MIPS, SPARC and this ALPHA, still got a few more to go lol:p

London is a pita to access, i have had a colo server at 49pence in the past for a few months but i wasnt happy about it being so far away. Glasgow is about as far away as london!

why cant the uk upgrade its core network and get some datacentres up here!

Jay_Oasis, do you know of any colocation centres up north anywhere?

London is a pita to access, i have had a colo server at 49pence in the past for a few months but i wasnt happy about it being so far away. Glasgow is about as far away as london!

why cant the uk upgrade its core network and get some datacentres up here!

becuase the big pipes to Europe are noramlly in London due to the small hop.

We need a true fiber network, they are currenly digging up the road infront of my main data area to install fiber from the data center in Manchester to my front door. Its costing £30,000 and will give me a solid 100mb / 100mb 1:1 if I need it. In 10 years I expect I will have this at home (not 1:1 though)

Why do you want to co-locate, what is it you are looking at providing?

becuase the big pipes to Europe are noramlly in London due to the small hop.

We need a true fiber network, they are currenly digging up the road infront of my main data area to install fiber from the data center in Manchester to my front door. Its costing £30,000 and will give me a solid 100mb / 100mb 1:1 if I need it. In 10 years I expect I will have this at home (not 1:1 though)

Why do you want to co-locate, what is it you are looking at providing?

Seems to be the docklands area that has all the big connections. Is this fiber data connection to your workplace? The uk really does need a real network, the backbone for virgin media seems to be overloaded sometimes especially in the bigger cities higher up north.

At first I had a heck of a time replacing the DS12887 Real Time Clock chip, nothing critical, but it annoyed me until I got it working all perfect. Once it was running I had OpenVMS for a while, but I haven't bothered with the hobbyist license yet, so its running Debian Alpha and I'm planning on replacing it as my webserver and using it for testing and playing with the Alpha arch. I like using differnt archs, so far I've aquired X86, PPC, ARM, MIPS, SPARC and this ALPHA, still got a few more to go lol:p

have you tried tru64 ?
i had some problems days ago with compiling mysql

I need MPLS upto 100mb so telewest are putting in new fiber right to the front door.

Telewest/NTL have a good fiber setup just that in the end it still goes through shitty copper wire in the exchange.

If you want true MPLS you need to have a true fiber link to the exchange and a new fiber link installed there just for your connection back to the central MPLS network. Onec this is done your private WAN is off loaded to telewest with a SLA of 4 hours (better than I could provide)

They provide all your cisco setup, you sort out your IPs at each site and there you are a WAN that looks and acts like a LAN.

In sheffield telewest/virgin the local cables and distro box's are way oversubscribed, the engineers know that and so does managment, they will admit it but they arnt doing much about it really.

Is that 30k a month you are paying for the link, or was that just installation?

In sheffield telewest/virgin is way oversubscribed, the engineers know that and so does managment, they will admit it but they arnt doing much about it really.

Is that 30k a month you are paying for the link, or was that just installation?

30K install, about £2,000 a month for 20mb/20mb on a 100mb bearer. I know people keep asking why only 20mb/20mb on 100mb line? If I get 100mb/100mb it will not be far off £10,000 a month but in the future I can do this if a need to. If I go with a 20mb beareer and want to go up to anything above 20mb I have to pay for new hardware in the exchange!

I look at it like this... i have my own 2cm by 2cm section of the local exchange, general users have a nm of space.

2k a month for a 20/20, damm thats quite a chunk of money. So basicly telewest have hooked you up to the exchange but you have to pay for your router slot if you want to upgrade it?

have you tried tru64 ?
i had some problems days ago with compiling mysql

I'd help you out, problem is I don't have a license for Tru64, I have tried it and I DO have the install CD's but they aren't much help since I don't have any licenses for once it's installed.

Just so we don't have somebody jump up and say they can get better than that with dsl/cable:

That 20/20 connection is most likely a full speed line not the cheap "up to" stuff that a high end dsl/cable user would get. It's worth every penny, just like T1/T3 or fractional setups are.

Just so we don't have somebody jump up and say they can get better than that with dsl/cable:

That 20/20 connection is most likely a full speed line not the cheap "up to" stuff that a high end dsl/cable user would get. It's worth every penny, just like T1/T3 or fractional setups are.

FIOS offers better speeds that this as we all know, so yes..... MPLS 20/20 is NOT as good some of the stuff FIOS does offer. Since Jay did not mention a CIR clause in his SLA we can only assume that there is none. Also, you're assuming that his MPLS is delivered over a circuit switched medium.... also a huge difference, many MPLS WANs are delivered over packet switched networks so a CIR would be absolutely KEY in that type of situation.

One more thing I want to point out.... comcast rumor about 160mbit by the end of 08.... that sustained speed for a pipe like that over traditional packet switched networks is well over 20Mbit.

I'd rather not think of what would happen if the ground were disconnected......DC power doesn't act well with no ground :)

I can't remember how much it cost us now, all rolled into the CO. Building the room, A/C, new power, iron workers putting in the 2-post racks and ladder rack all told was right around 65,000. It would have been cheaper but they found a few issues with the foundation when we broke up the floor to run conduit from the outside for all the fiber. In future markets we're just going to buy pre-fab huts. Lay down a pad of concrete, get your power & conduits in. When the hut arrives you set it on the pad, hook up power and connect the conduit. The huts come with all the ironwork done, power ran, dc power in place. All we need to do is start racking equipment up and go. While the cost is about the same the actual time is much less vs building it all.

your Main Ground is a good bit of work, underrated area if you ask me, just think if it wasn't there!

How much did all this work cost and how much was "in house"?

Bleh, it's such a mess right now but here's a peak:

The good news is that this is all in the back unfinished portion of my basement so it's virtually invisible to guests. :)

IMG_0649-web64.jpg

Cable Modem + Firewall box + GigE Switch all on on battery backup.

IMG_0648-web64.jpg

Netgear GS724T 24-Port Gigabit Web-managed Switch (the core of the network.)
DIR-655 being used as an AP.
8-Port commercial ps/2 KVM

Primary File and Utility Server (The CM Stacker on the second 'rack'... Dual 3GHz Xeon, 4GB Memory, 2.2TB of shared RAID5 (3Ware Controller) storage and eight or so virtual machines.)

Dell PowerEdge 1750 (Dual 1.8GHz Xeons, 4GB RAM. I have two of these but the other is not in the 'rack' right now and out of the picture.)
Dell Optiplex GX150 (1.2GHz lab box.)
Dell Optiplex GX110 (1GHz lab box.)

APC UPS unit for file server and core network support.

Tons of spare parts... several other computers and such laying about.

Several DLink DTA Vonage devices around the house as well - three phone lines, two voice and one dedicated fax. A bunch of computers and network devices spread throughout the house, including a kitchen PC, bedroom media PC, kids room computer, xbox 360, PS2, HD-DVD player, several laptops, a couple network printers and my main office system.

Here's my work network, both the server rack and the network rack. The network rack is pretty clean even after two years. Just have one dangling troubleshooting cable that will be bundled away by the end of the week.

Greets from Finland, this is my home network.
It consists of 3 desktops, 3 laptops, 1 PDA, 1 server, 1 switch + router, and APC Smart-UPS 1400VA. Server is upstairs and I haven't taken a pic of it, anyways it's an IBM xserver with dual 1GHz PIIIs.

A pic of my desk with laptops etc:

Main network gear, HP Procurve 2824 and Cisco 1841 router:

My rack at work, it's messy as the setup is quite temporary.
I got 2 of these ugly green Rittals...My colo server is the last 1U on rack.
http://crisu.tuuna.us/rack.jpg

More to come from work and servers.
Four servers hosted in datacenters, one dedicated 100/100Mbit for quad opteron & 4GB RAM 1U co-location server.

Its 1:1 fiber 20/20 at all times, no limits, no one esle on my part of the exchange.

How is that ASUS server working for ya? I've been looking into getting one of those :D

It has been running stable for a long time now :) There was no problems installing Linux on it as everything is supported. It took a while though to get it running with full 4GB as the DIMMs need to be on the right slots and I'm not sure if dual channel is working currently. The fans I have fitted are very noisy and run at 9kRPM in normal operations, on POST they go well over 10k..yikes!
It has basic IPMI management functions and you can get the software precompiled for RedHat plus some others, which is a pity for me as it's Debian. Asus has an extension IPMI card but it's kinda hard to come by.

edit:
You could have this thing as a super gaming machine if those double sized PCI-E video cards were to fit in 1U.

Lets not let this thread die again, anyone have any more pictures?

Here's some more pics to keep this thread alive.

Last year my charity and I opened a free Learning Center in northeastern Thailand. Other than English we teach computers, networking, and how to make websites. Just for fun we also built a small search engine using Linux Debian and Nutch (the main server in the pic).

Our network hub is a D-Link 16-port and we switch between the servers using an Outlook KVM switch ($7 on ebay!). The main Linux box has an Intel duo core 1.8GHz, 3gb DDR2, and 500gb SATA. The other comps are miscellaneous Pentium 4's and the classroom PCs are just 800MHz P3s.

The volunteers and I live at the Learning Center (on the second floor) so the network gets a lot of use. We usually get about 80k-150k download speeds. Which isn't much, I know, but we're happy to get anything way over here. lol

Thanks for all the pics everyone.
pk

What could this be

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

HMMMMMM

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

AIR-ANTM4050V-R Omni-dirctional antenna ;)

IMG_0784.jpg

But what would that be used with???

Oh this thing

Cisco Wireless AP1242AG-A-K9

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back