***The Official "Post good deals for the [H]orde" thread***

Newegg has the XIGMATEK HDT-D1264 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler for $31.99 with a $15.00 MIR and $7.00 shipping - total $23.99

Has anyone actually put one of these things through its paces with folding, yet? It looks like it might be worth picking one up, just to check out how it performs. If so, lets hear about it so the rest of us don't drop any [H]ard ca$h on a worthless hsf.

EDIT: Larry, you sure have been scouring the web for hot deals lately. ;) I thought you worked all day (and night)....

This is actually different than the S-1283 that everyone is talking about. This or this are better than the D1264 that is referenced above.

Yeah, I actually meant the S-1283.. didn't read what Alan was quoting.

So, I haven't decided on a motherboard yet for my first quad. Looks like I missed some really good refurb deals this week. For under $100, is the GA-P35-DS3L about the best I'm going to be able to afford? They seem to get pretty good reviews.

Newegg has the new Abit IP35P mobo for $89.99. Can't find any reviews on it though.

I'm not one to care about things like this normally, but ugh, what a fugly board. Abit keeps on changing their budget P35 boards around. Everyone likes the IP35-E, just go back to making that one.

I'm not one to care about things like this normally, but ugh, what a fugly board. Abit keeps on changing their budget P35 boards around. Everyone likes the IP35-E, just go back to making that one.

If you fold it nekkid in the basement like my diskless, you can use the board to keep the rats at bay :D:D:D

So, I haven't decided on a motherboard yet for my first quad. Looks like I missed some really good refurb deals this week. For under $100, is the GA-P35-DS3L about the best I'm going to be able to afford? They seem to get pretty good reviews.

I'm in the same boat. Been assembling parts to replace my main box at home. I'd spend the extra twenty to thirty bucks on the board if it's for your main rig though. I picked up a brand new IP35 Pro on eBay for $109 plus $12 shipping. Guy even included his Newegg packing slip. I'm going to run a Q6600 on it. Yesterday I ordered a Xigmatek heatsink http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233012&Tpk=HDT-RS1283 which is a little pricey but again this is going into my main rig and I plan on overclocking it. This morning I just painted the interior of the new case gloss black to match the piano gloss front on one of these http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chassis/midtower/soprano/vb1000bws.asp Best Buy has this case from $79 to $89.

Is this memory good and a good deal for a 4GB DDR2 800 kit? NewEgg Link

I usually use 2GB Crucial Ballistix or G.Skill - it's been many years since I last used Mushkin. I'd be using it with an OC'd Q6600 for a dedicated SMP folder.

Mushkin makes nice RAM still, but there are better prices out there.

G.Skill has a DDR2 800 kit and a DDR2 1000 kit that have been on sale multiple times recently that seem to be very popular with everyone. AFAIK, the 800 kit doesn't always OC very much over 800Mhz though. If you needed more than 800 Mhz then you can do like I did and just get the 1000 kit.

It looks like the 1000 kit is $90 with free shipping right now.

That looks like a nice kit. I may go with that. Thanks.

Anyone have experience with NewEgg's Open Box motherboards? Are they worth the savings? I realize they don't come with any accessories, that doesn't bother me. But money is tight these days and saving $30 on the board I want would be nice.

Mushkin makes nice RAM still, but there are better prices out there.

G.Skill has a DDR2 800 kit and a DDR2 1000 kit that have been on sale multiple times recently that seem to be very popular with everyone. AFAIK, the 800 kit doesn't always OC very much over 800Mhz though. If you needed more than 800 Mhz then you can do like I did and just get the 1000 kit.

Okwia,

I have come to love G.Skill. It is in all of my rigs now. If you are running a Q6600, save you money on the DDR2 1000 kit. The DDR2 800 kit is cheaper and you will NEVER see the difference between the 800 & the 1000 kit. The DDR2 800 is perfect for the sweet spot of a Q6600 at 3.6 (one to one ratio).

Also, of note. I did try it (before I took my own advice). To use it, you have to run 2.5 (on your Gigy MoBo, much like mine) for your memory divider. My Gigy board did NOT like this one bit. It booted (barely) and was never stable. I then bought the DDR2 800 and have been fine since.

Just a suggestion cause suggestions are free :p

oh sure, now capreppy tells me.. an hour after I place my NewEgg order. :p

You guys and gals are killin' me, here I am biddin' my poop hole off on fleabay, sweatin' if I win or loose the bid, super careful of dealing with this Motherboard Outlet joint because of a bad rep I read on this forum, finally get a Abit IP35E mobo that I paid premium price for (and feeling fortunate :rolleyes:) and then I open this thread up and read about a mobo that's, IMO, as good as the Abit board for no more than I'm doin' (Q6600, with luck OC'ed to 3.0 GHz or 3.2 GHz) :mad:

Only kiddin' about the "killin' me" part and I really do appreciate the "heads up". I just gotta' check the "Good deals thread" more often (D'oh) ;)

jws: I ended up just going with that GigaByte mATX board you and I discussed earlier in the week. Should be here on Tuesday.

You guys and gals are killin' me, here I am biddin' my poop hole off on fleabay, sweatin' if I win or loose the bid, super careful of dealing with this Motherboard Outlet joint because of a bad rep I read on this forum, finally get a Abit IP35E mobo that I paid premium price for (and feeling fortunate :rolleyes:) and then I open this thread up and read about a mobo that's, IMO, as good as the Abit board for no more than I'm doin' (Q6600, with luck OC'ed to 3.0 GHz or 3.2 GHz) :mad:

Only kiddin' about the "killin' me" part and I really do appreciate the "heads up". I just gotta' check the "Good deals thread" more often (D'oh) ;)

If that one is "killing you", these ones will make you die :p:D

Refurbs:
Abit IP-35 at Mwave for $48.30 here
Abit IP-35V at Mware for $54.75 here

jws: I ended up just going with that GigaByte mATX board you and I discussed earlier in the week. Should be here on Tuesday.

Thanks a bunch for reminding me Tobit, talk about missin' the boat. I should have seriously considered that board seein' as I already have one that's been trouble free and has a good rep (don't anyone get too exited I mostly just fold 24/7 with any hardware I get and have been known to do some uncool things, nahh.. not me) :(

I've just got a one track mind and after reading so many good reviews about the Abit I just hadda' try one. I'm not unhappy with the Giggy board (thanks for the great name capreppy :p) and when the Abit board finally arrives I'll probably not be unhappy with it either. (prayin' it ain't DOA)

Depending on if the "Pony Express" are using fast, healthy horses and I get the chip first (express mail vs ground shipping) I may just swap out the E6600 in the Giggy board and swap in a Q6600 and try to OC' it to 3.0 GHz (I'd be happy foldin' 24/7 at 3.0 GHz, hell, the chip will hopefully go higher folding 24/7 stable and cool, of course depending on the chip). Then I could have the E6600 in the Abit board and "pine" away for a second Q6600 and still be foldin' with both chips. Makes "el perfecto" sense to me :p

If these brilliant ideas I have don't make a whole lot of sense to you, don't feel bad your not by yourself (I've only gots two(2) functional brain cells left) :D

OBTW I ain't makin' no mobo moves until I check first wid Crazy Larry, he seems to know some uber deals.

Okwia,

I have come to love G.Skill. It is in all of my rigs now. If you are running a Q6600, save you money on the DDR2 1000 kit. The DDR2 800 kit is cheaper and you will NEVER see the difference between the 800 & the 1000 kit. The DDR2 800 is perfect for the sweet spot of a Q6600 at 3.6 (one to one ratio).

Also, of note. I did try it (before I took my own advice). To use it, you have to run 2.5 (on your Gigy MoBo, much like mine) for your memory divider. My Gigy board did NOT like this one bit. It booted (barely) and was never stable. I then bought the DDR2 800 and have been fine since.

Just a suggestion cause suggestions are free :p

I just dropped the multiplier on my Q6600 down to 8x. At 3.4Ghz with a 1:1 ratio the RAM is at 850Mhz and if I jump up to 3.6 it'll be at 900Mhz. For that cheap I wasn't too worried about wasting money anyway.

This is actually different than the S-1283 that everyone is talking about. This or this are better than the D1264 that is referenced above.

Thanks for the linkage on these Capreppy. I should have two of them arriving within a few hours.

Thanks for the linkage on these Capreppy. I should have two of them arriving within a few hours.

Absolutely!! I'm looking to purchase a bunch of these shortly.

I'm almost at the point of quitting my job (yippee) and going back to independent consulting. Which will allow me to purchase 8 dedicated Q6600 folders, plus a few other Q6600's to upgrade other machines in the house. All told I think I'll be at 11 or 12 Q6600's plus an X9300 in my personal lappy. Best part is I get to write off every single penny :)

Here it is now even cheaper, $80. Check out this memory promotion I received in my email last night. I went ahead and bought the memory earlier in the day before the promotion came out. I emailed NewEgg as soon as this promotion hit and they agreed to credit me the $10.

They have some other memory deals in this promotion as well but this is probably the sweetest.

:cool:

Here it is now even cheaper, $80. Check out this memory promotion I received in my email last night. I went ahead and bought the memory earlier in the day before the promotion came out. I emailed NewEgg as soon as this promotion hit and they agreed to credit me the $10.

They have some other memory deals in this promotion as well but this is probably the sweetest.

:cool:

Yup, like I said they have it on sale all the time. You can't do a whole lot better for those kinds of prices. Guaranteed 1000Mhz leaves you more room than you need for overclocking so you know your RAM isn't going to be holding you back. What's also great is that they run super cool when underclocked and undervolted. Have fun with it.

Thanks. I bought 2 of these and will probably cover most of the cost by selling my Gigabyte. :D

Do let us know how the OCing goes with this board. I'm still undecided (well kinda) on what board I'm going to use for my farm. Cost is a factor, but the ability to OC well AND be stable is paramount

I have a MSI neo2-fr P35 and it's been good to me. With a Q6600 G0 I reached a folding-stable 24/7 clock of 3.54GHz (434x8) with a Tuniq Tower, and I'm running folding-stable 24/7 now on water at 3.89GHz (432x9). I've booted the board into Xubuntu at 4.01GHz (9x445) but wasn't nearly folding stable. I haven't messed around with the FSB much beyond 445Mz (quad-pumped = 1780MHz) because my DDR2-800 holds me back around 900Mhz, but according to this thread at xtremesystems.org People have pushed 500 MHz FSB on this board with extreme cooling. So basically the "overclockability" of your particular CPU will most likely determine your stable overclock and not this motherboard's FSB wall.

When I do purchase a new system I'll definitely be building it around this board. In fact, I don't plan on buying anything but the MSI neo2-fr until the P35 chipset becomes obsolete.

Anyone interested in these?

APC 350 VA UPS and Surge Protector - Top of page

Price is $19.85. Shipping is $19.50 for one and drops the more you add.

I can probably get these from them I would think for $20-$22 since I have an account with them and I can do Will Call. I figure I can send them USPS Flat Rate for $8.95. Anyone think $31 is worth it? I am willing to do it if people are interested.

These are refurbs with Brand New Batteries.

Back