The Official P45 Asus P5Q Motherboard Thread

these are too small to read. Sorry, must have ticked the wrong image size. It said for websites. Will try again wheb I get home from work but basically what it says on the bottom is that
"one or more Residual <norm> values outputted from Linpack did not match everything else. In this case, it is undeniable to conclude that your CPU and/or RAM is unstable"

Anyone know how to turn off the constant PC case power led blinking while in Suspend/Standby state?

So annoying... My 680i didn't do this crap >.<

I think that the P5Q-E is an excellent board but i'm slightly put off because it isn't giving me any temperature/voltage/current reports of anything apart from the CPU. On my 680i board i got MOSFET current and temps, NB voltage and temps, SB voltage and temps and a few other options. Considering this is supposed to be a better board i would at least expect the northbridge options. Only thing that makes me want to sell this.

Anyone know how to turn off the constant PC case power led blinking while in Suspend/Standby state?

So annoying... My 680i didn't do this crap >.<

Don't plug in the header on the motherboard. :p

johnwillyums: I cannot read the screens you posted but if you get that message then your overclock is unstable. IntelBurnTest uses linpack (from Intel) to perform some intense math calculations and this works your system much harder than most of us here actually work their systems, and that includes us who fold. That's why you haven't noticed the instability yet. If you deem your system "stable enough" for you then by all means ignore IntelBurnTest. On the other hand, if you absolutely never want to see your system crash no matter what you throw at it, or if you do important work on your system that cannot afford any errors in calculations then getting things IBT (IntelBurnTest) stable may be more important. Only you can decide that one.

Thanks for your continued support Samson.
As you say I'm not likely to stress my system to this level in ordinairy use and I've not had any problems so far (since Saturday) so I think I'll carry on and see how it goes.
Actually I don't have much choice. This test doesn't give any clues as to what is wrong and I've posted about my OC and the settings etc and nobody has suggested I haven't done it quite right yet although I suppose I must have got something wrong.
Oh well, I'll be posting again if it all goes horribly wrong.
Thanks again, John:)

No problem john, happy to be of use!

If you OC your cpu and memory one at a time then there's no question about where the instability lies. Find a nice stable cpu OC then go for memory. Also throw some folding or prime95 + 3D into the mix (hi-def video, games) as that stresses your system in ways that IBT cannot.

The test can't tell you which settings to tweak to stabilize your system. That there is the human element. :) happy OCing!

I hadn't thought I'd done anything to the RAM. It's Corsair Dominaor PC 8500 which had been running at 1066MHz.
Now I look at it in CPU-Z I notice that some things seem to have changed:
DRAM frequency 534MHz
FSB:DRAM 5:8
CL 5 clocks
tRCD 5 clocks
tRP 5 clocks
tRAS 18

I never paid much notice but I'm sure it used to be 5-5-5-15.
Has OCing the chip automatically changed the RAM settings? Could this be causing a problem?
Thanks, John

I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere, and I'm having very little luck getting any real "phrase+phrase" results to work in the search function here: do the p45 boards (ASUS P5Q Pro in particular if anybody happens to know) require a PSU with an 8 pin 12v connector to operate? I'm trying to determine whether I have to ditch my PSU as well for an upgrade build, really hoping I don't.

I would say no because the Pro came with a plug on 4 of the pins, which normally means you can use either a 4 or 8 pin Aux connection.

I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere, and I'm having very little luck getting any real "phrase+phrase" results to work in the search function here: do the p45 boards (ASUS P5Q Pro in particular if anybody happens to know) require a PSU with an 8 pin 12v connector to operate? I'm trying to determine whether I have to ditch my PSU as well for an upgrade build, really hoping I don't.

You can run it fine with a 4-pin. The 8-pin isn't needed for desktop CPUs.

Thank you very much guys, I thought this was the case but a couple of comments about the board gave me pause for thought there. While I want to upgrade my PSU eventually too, was really hoping not to have to budget that too just yet.

I never paid much notice but I'm sure it used to be 5-5-5-15.
Has OCing the chip automatically changed the RAM settings? Could this be causing a problem?
Thanks, John

534 mhz is ddr2-1066 so you're just fine, memory is not OCd. My Mushkin Ascents also default to 5-5-5-18 on my p5q and it's nothing to worry about. You won't see any performance difference going to 5-5-5-15 or even 5-5-5-12. Since your memory isn't OCd you need to tweak settings relevant to your CPU.

Which flavor for the P5Q is the best, what are the main differences between them all? They vary in price quite a bit.

Thanks for the reply Samson. I'll stop worrying about the RAM now. Still can't figure why my OC won't pass the Intelburn thingy though. I seem to have done exactly the same in the BIOS as others have posted. Mind you it is running stable at the moment so I'll see what happens.
Best wishes, John

I think that the P5Q-E is an excellent board but i'm slightly put off because it isn't giving me any temperature/voltage/current reports of anything apart from the CPU. On my 680i board i got MOSFET current and temps, NB voltage and temps, SB voltage and temps and a few other options. Considering this is supposed to be a better board i would at least expect the northbridge options. Only thing that makes me want to sell this.

Yeah, I hear you man. My previous board was a DFI DK P35 and it had all the temp/voltage readings for the important areas (PWM, NB, DRAM voltage, etc.). I do miss them but the overall ease and stability of the P5Q-E is what makes me keep it. Plus, it did cost more than my DK P35 board :)

Which flavor for the P5Q is the best, what are the main differences between them all? They vary in price quite a bit.

You have to see what features they have and what is more important to you. Personally, I went with the P5Q Pro because it had the ICH10R instead of the vanilla ICH10 and was cheaper than the P5Q-E by quite a bit. The cooling isn't quite as good, and it has one less PCIe x16 slot, but it met my needs and wasn't expensive.

Just an update for my P5Q friends:

I'm really stressing this board hard right now with my Q6700. I'm getting surprisingly good stability at 488 FSB. With a quad core that's very respectable, but my NB is running at a high 1.5v. Case has fantastic cooling, which helps.

Got my trusty Q6700 at 3.9GHz :eek: and "only" on 1.6v. I know that's scary, but not as scary as the 1.7v I had to use to get it stable at 4.0GHz.

I'm running 3DMark06 and overclocking the snot out of my single GTX 260 Maxcore. So far I've hit 18,841. My goal is 19k before bedtime ... I'd like to do it with out having to risk 4.0GHz on my quad core again... wish me luck!

And I really need to update my sig...

Sigh.

And for those wondering why I'm pushing such a high FSB with a quad, I am contemplating an upgrade to a new Penryn, so I gotta see how this board (and my ram) will do with an 8x limited multi. I'm really close to 500MHz FSB. That is freaking insane with a $120 motherboard (now it can be had on the right sale for less than $100!!!:eek:)

YAY!

495MHz FSB stable. (it's Vista stable at 500MHz, but it froze up on the CPU benches and stress tests)

I also reached my max OC on my GTX 260 Maxcore:

Core: 755
Memory: 2510
Shader: 1525

And I was able to finally snag a 19k+ 3DMark06 Score

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8948858

That is a monster of a graphics card, with stock cooling. And I'm sure a 3.96GHz quad core with 8GB of ram running at 990MHz helped a bunch too. "Only" took 1.6v on the CPU and 1.5 on the northbridge (some other minor voltage tweaks as well, but I didn't mess with the gtl.)

I am very impressed with this stupid motherboard. It's amazing.

I'm planning a build around the PQ5 LGA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131295

Since you guys have already built so many machines around these boards I was hoping I could throw up my potential build idea and see if there was something I missed, or any foreseeable issues. I think I'm going to throw this up over on a different thread also, and look for more general ideas for improvement.

Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 Wolfdale
Xigmatek 120mm rifle cooler
G.SKILL 2x2gb DDR2 1066
EVGA GTX 260 PCI-E 2.0
Seagate Barracude 7200.10 250gb
LG dvd/cd combo SATA
Corsair 550W 20+4 pin
Antec 300

I'm planning a build around the PQ5 LGA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131295

Since you guys have already built so many machines around these boards I was hoping I could throw up my potential build idea and see if there was something I missed, or any foreseeable issues. I think I'm going to throw this up over on a different thread also, and look for more general ideas for improvement.

G.SKILL 2x2gb DDR2 1066
EVGA GTX 260 PCI-E 2.0
LG dvd/cd combo SATA
Corsair 550W 20+4 pin
Antec 300

Can save money on an antec EA650 PSU $70 without dealing with rebates--- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015&Tpk=ea650

Spend savings on more disk space +$15 --- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

If you have a Microcenter nearby, 2 day sale starting saturday, Antec nine hundred case for $70

G.SKILL 2x2gb DDR2 1066
EVGA GTX 260 PCI-E 2.0
LG dvd/cd combo SATA
Corsair 550W 20+4 pin
Antec 300
Grab the superior P5Q Pro instead for $100 AR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

Can save money on an antec EA650 PSU $70 without dealing with rebates--- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015&Tpk=ea650

Spend savings on more disk space +$15 --- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

If you have a Microcenter nearby, 2 day sale starting saturday, Antec nine hundred case for $70

Agreed on the hard drive, but the PSU is back up to $100. If you're willing to spend a bit more, I recommend this PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371010
80%+ efficiency, 650w, modular, and it will look most excellent in the 300 or 900 cases. I used it in the 900. I consistently pull over 500 watts through this thing when it's at load and it is rock solid. $90 shipped right now is a steal. I paid $140 for it over a year ago w/$30 mail in rebate (which I received, making it $110). The modular sleeved cables are nice, and you will not want to go back to non-modular, especially in a smaller case like the 300. (even the 900 felt cramped to me, so modular was a lifesaver!)

Also agreed. The P5Q Pro is the current budget enthusiast's champion.

Maybe 500W from the wall, but I seriously doubt your PC draws anywhere near that from the PSU.

Good point - silly me. This thing tests between 79% and 81% efficiency at full load, so if it's about 520 (the highest I've hit) from the wall, assume 416 watts of actual load - still quite a bit. Anyways, for the above poster, a 600w thermaltake should be fine.

Agreed on the hard drive, but the PSU is back up to $100. If you're willing to spend a bit more, I recommend this PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371010
80%+ efficiency, 650w, modular, and it will look most excellent in the 300 or 900 cases. I used it in the 900. I consistently pull over 500 watts through this thing when it's at load and it is rock solid. $90 shipped right now is a steal. I paid $140 for it over a year ago w/$30 mail in rebate (which I received, making it $110). The modular sleeved cables are nice, and you will not want to go back to non-modular, especially in a smaller case like the 300. (even the 900 felt cramped to me, so modular was a lifesaver!)

Also agreed. The P5Q Pro is the current budget enthusiast's champion.

EA650 still can be had for ~$70
http://www.&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;/antec/pe/ANT_27650/

Ai Transaction Booster, first setting above the pull-ins, I can't recall the name they give it right now.

Wow...I don't know what they were thinking with that ATX power connector on the regular P5Q. The Pro is definitely much better off.

So I'm typing on my new machine!

It's a P5Q Pro with a q6600 and Freezer Pro 7 and some OCz sli ddr2.

loving it so far, thinking of oc to 3.0, easiest safest way?

So I'm typing on my new machine!

It's a P5Q Pro with a q6600 and Freezer Pro 7 and some OCz sli ddr2.

loving it so far, thinking of oc to 3.0, easiest safest way?

Easiest safest way is to just jack up the FSB to 333MHz. Then do some stress-testing and see if you need to raise any voltages to keep it stable. Just ask if you need more help and there are plenty of people here happy to give it ;).

Having some interesting problems with the new 1501 BIOS. It will not allow overclocking by moving the FSB up. It refuses to reboot. Not nice.

Having some interesting problems with the new 1501 BIOS. It will not allow overclocking by moving the FSB up. It refuses to reboot. Not nice.

Yeah, I don't know about some of those new bioses. And you know what's funny? With the BIOS I'm using now, both AI Suite and the BIOS report the temps WAY off. CoreTemp and Everest are consistent, thank goodness. I have had to compensate in my CPU fan settings for the discrepancy. Stupid. Oh well, with this BIOS (1306 I think...) I am by far getting the best overclocks and the most stable operation, and the best temps because I'm able to accomplish lower voltages. My RAM is happier too! :D

This board is amazing - took me all of 5 minutes in BIOS to kick E6600 to 3.5 GHz - even with 4x2GB sticks. That's stable :)

Only thing...is it just me, or does the onboard NIC blow rhinos? Kills the TCP/IP stack on large file xfers, and BT is a joke. Had to drop in my Intel PCI NIC.

Only other gripe is placement of SATA slots - would have preferred the right-angle types found on the P5N32, at edge of board.

The best BIOS for my p5q-e is ket's 704m. No CPU margin enhancement, lower performance levels than other versions, it's the bee's knees.

Only thing...is it just me, or does the onboard NIC blow rhinos? Kills the TCP/IP stack on large file xfers, and BT is a joke. Had to drop in my Intel PCI NIC.

The onboard NIC seems to work fine for me, although admittedly I haven't tried one of my good 3Com NICs to see if there's a difference.

Back